Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

I can only aspire to be Dan Green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I know he wasn't in Persona 5, but jeez, where are the Liam O'Brien fans?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Jonny Yong Bosch or Crispin Freeman for me

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I'm voiced by John Kassir.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Juliet Cesario role checking in.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Paul Eiding, Colonel Campbell edition.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm not voiced by a voice actor and all of you claiming to be need to check in with psychiatrists

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GeneX posted:

I'm not voiced by a voice actor and all of you claiming to be need to check in with psychiatrists
Sounds like somebody's jealous they're played by one of the staff for their one line!! :smuggo:

I'm played by Nolan North.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm Ben Diskin IRL

Also update incoming

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 34: 5/22-5/23: Hurt Me Plenty

It’s Sunday, and you know what that means...

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Throwing more money down the drain on this loving aojiru.

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

...However, it has a dark side to it as well!

Yes! YES! The power of the Sun God has opened your eyes to the truth. Madarame is a pig rolling in a trough of money! By the name of the Sun God shall he be condemned!

Music: Butterfly Kiss

>I want to do a clinical trial.
In that case, my little guinea pig, there’s something I want to test out today… Well then, please head into the examination room.

Every time she says “guinea pig” it sends a loving chill down my spine.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

If you’re feeling OK, you can go home now.

...What? Again? That’s, well… that ship’s already sailed, so...

You remember that girl from the other day? The Chief of Staff Oyamada’s patient? Her dad’s been bringing her here to be treated, even though I referred them to another hospital. I even told them about the medical error I made...

I’m just a quack though… The medical error was well documented. Everyone in my field knows about it. I led the development of a new drug for an incurable illness called “Crawford-Ende’s disease.” Although I wasn’t the one who administered the medicine, it was the cause of the error.

With Crawford-Ende’s, certain cells indiscriminately attack other cells throughout the body. When it reaches the muscles, the patient slowly begins to die… There hasn’t been much progress made on it-- partly because there haven’t been many cases of it. I worked with a pharmaceutical company that had reached the final stage of production, but… One day, I was suddenly removed from my position. That Chief of Staff Oyamada, my superior at the time, took over the entire operation.

Music: Confession/Secret

He made careless mistakes and rushed completion so he could use it on a patient named Miwa. Miwa-chan had a reaction and lapsed into critical condition. The chief panicked and laid the blame on me. Miwa-chan and her family resented me… ...No matter what I said, I couldn’t change how they felt about me.

Well, that doesn’t matter… The development of the medicine was suspended, so I had no reason to stay at that hospital. At least now I can keep working as a general practitioner, on my own terms… with my guinea pig.

That’s the new medicine I’ve been trying out on you. This version is in the final stage of testing. It searches for those cells that take the offensive and destroys them upon detection. That’s why it’s harmless for people who don’t have the disease… probably.

Wait, then how do you even know if it works?

Maaku’s kind of a dope.

I’m telling you, chills.

You’d better not flake on me this late in the game. I’m inching closer to the finish line, but I need your help to reach it. In exchange, I can offer you medicine at a special price. I’m counting on you, guinea pig.
It feels like my bond with Takemi is growing even deeper...

Now Takemi has new support items for sale. We’ll see what these do in a few updates, but they’re… I want to say “useful,” but I actually mean “mandatory.” Again, we’ll get to that in time.

Now, what should I do about that girl and her dad? Being mean and scaring them hasn’t worked. It’s been a while since I’ve had to deal with this kind of nuisance. It’s stressing me out. Oh, sorry, that’s all I wanted to talk to you about. You can go home now.

I feel like cooperating in that shady clinical trial has increased my Guts...
OK, thanks for your hard work.

Maaku gains Guts +1.

Music: Beneath the Mask

Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Ever need an Adhesive Bandage? Well how about fifty of them!? The most basic of first aid needs!
You can get as many wounds as you want if you have these!

That’s a weird way to sell bandaids, lady. HURT YOURSELF AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE

This is a limited item! Today’s the one and only day it’ll be available! And it can be yours… For the incredibly low price of 1980 yen!
Adhesive Bandage, huh? You wanna get fifty of them? They’re just 1980 yen.

This is an absurd deal. gently caress yeah, I want those bandages.

OK! And now it’sh time for the pop quiz ques… question! What’sh the painting… That made me, who is Madarame, so famoush?

Sadly, picking “Yukari” does not result in a Persona 3 reference.

Ding ding! Ding ding! Tha’s riiight! Ya win a prize to… a round trip t’ Yongen!

Oh boy, I’ll go pack my bags!

Shalalaaa, your smile…/Shalalala, during the rice season… No, no, that’s no good! Ah can’t let m’country side show any! I need to write a soul-shaking rock song… I need the gods of rock to speak through me!

Looks like our resident rocker is actually a little bit country.

Er, what I mean is, the food’s real good—I’m not calling you a dope or anything!
*confused meow*
drat, I gotta get better at Japanese…

Foreign Barker is one of my favorite characters.

...And on the other end of that spectrum, here’s Mishima!

I had pretty high hopes for them, but they turned out to be posers… The Phantom Thieves are true heroes though! I wanna help out however I can!

He also nags us about that request he sent us, but we’re busy right now.

While we’re out, we buy the latest books. The other two are a spotlight on local parks and a fashion magazine “girls with unique tastes.”

You don’t know me, cat.

Oh hey, it’s that lady we saw by Madarame’s.

I guess the editor-in-chief has been nagging me about covering the Phantom Thieves though… I guess I’ll just wait and see what happens. Time for me to go get a drink.

There are less physically abusive teachers nowadays, but the truth of it all is still a mystery. I’m giving a speech again today. Do you think you can lend me a hand with it?
>Help him out
Then let’s get to it. Can you please hold the placard?

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

...Is not right! It will take time to solve this problem. However, we must start by making small changes!

Regardless of the audience’s size, you must convey your thoughts as if you’re talking one-on-one. By the way, I forgot to ask you last time we spoke. Why do you want to become a politician?

Ambitious, indeed, if a little ambiguous… Well, I’m sure you’ll iron out the details as you go along. May I ask you one more question? What kind of politician do you want to be?

It’s worth noting that Sun is one of two Confidants (along with Moon, though that one has other requirements as well) that do not require points and will rank up every time you visit them. The notes are just for flavor.

...Allow me to give you some advice. If you aspire to get into politics, you must possess a central philosophy. What is it that you want to accomplish…? That is the foundation of a great speech. You’d do well to remember that.

To get your message across, be tenacious in conveying your thoughts to the audience. Have a firm point of view, and communicate it clearly—that’s the first rule of negotiating. Haha! You have me reliving the fighting spirit I had when I first became a politician.
Yoshida explained the basics of speech-giving. I feel like my bond with him is growing deeper...

Diplomacy lets you ask for more money or items after succeeding once, and is a great way to get tons of money from enemies by just asking over and over until they reject you and then knocking them back down and doing it again. Unfortunately, later upgrades to Sun make this impossible, to the point where I’ve seen people suggest keeping Sun at Rank 2. We won’t be doing that, because there’s other ways to get money, and it’s not all that scarce to begin with. Besides, not doing the best Confidant in the game because it’s sub-optimal isn’t my style.

Poor Tora.

Ah, my apologies. We’re done for today.
I feel like learning about the basics of negotiation has served to increase my Charm...

Maaku gains Charm +3. Yes, really, +3 from a single Confidant rank. Tora owns.

Thank you for all your hard work. I’ll see you next time.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Madarame was talking to a lawyer. I suppose he’s serious about suing. I think we should advance our plans. Why won’t we go to the Palace today?

Eh, why not?

Great. I want to stop that man as soon as possible. In that case, let’s assemble after school. I’ll be over shortly.

Music: So Boring

Artists with that good of an eye are rare in Japan. I wonder if he has synesthesia. Yes, regarding synesthesia… One of many English terms that comes from Greek root words. Haven’t you heard of it? It’s a condition where your senses can cross over each other, like seeing music as color. Mr. Hamiru. You were staring off into space, weren’t you? Well, your number’s up. The root words of synesthesia are “syn” and “aisthesis.” What do they mean?

Child’s play.

Good! You’ve been studying! Unfortunately, synesthesia’s something you have to be born with… You can’t learn it. Some of the geniuses over the course of history have had synesthesia. The composer Franz Liszt instructed his orchestra to play the color purple.

Must’ve been hard teaching them all to act! ...I’m sorry.

The poet Arthur Rimbaud was also said to see colors in letters.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1, and is still at Rank 1, loving hell.

Seeing colors in sounds and letters, and feeling shapes in flavors and numbers… Geniuses and common people see the world differently. Were you able to understand that?
Synesthesia, huh… That’s fascinating. Although, the reason Madarame sees the world differently is because of his distorted desires.

OK, let’s head there now!

Music: Suspicion

Oh, you mean about the Metaverse and the Nav. Yeah, I guess that stuff is pretty important.
Please elaborate.
OK, let’s start from the beginning. First, the Metaverse spots where we act as the Phantom Thieves are called Palaces. Palaces are worlds that take form from someone’s cognition… A materialization of their reality.
So do we each hold Palaces within ourselves as well?
No, not just anyone will have one. It’s primarily those with strong distorted desires…
They basically gotta be criminals. Real bastards like Kamoshida or Madarame.
On the other hand, Palaces can’t exist within Persona-users. It’s just impossible for them to form. Basically, your Persona is the true feelings of your heart, which arise from conquering your inner Shadow. Then since you have full control of your emotions, there’s no way your desires can get distorted.
S-So that’s how it works...
O-Obviously I knew that…! Oh, and we use the Metaverse Nav app on our phones to get into that world!
It’s actually pretty simple. Just say a person’s name, location, and distortion, then you’re in.
Location…?
Uhhh, so like Madarame’s would be “shack,” then his distortion is that he thinks it’s a “museum.”
How do you know what their Palace is going to look like if you have never set foot in it before…?

We loving guess, Yusuke. It absolutely kills the narrative momentum.

That part’s kinda like a quiz or something. It’ll prolly get pretty tricky from here on out too.
Hm, I feel as though I have a good grasp on the basic concepts. If anything arises which I fail to understand, I’ll rely on those more experienced than myself.
Yeah! I gotcha covered, newbie!
Uh… You should probably ask Morgana if you need anything.
Thinking back to Madarame though… I can’t believe he’d consider pressing charges.
Yes, I’ve never seen him show such anger before. He is most likely quite serious about that.
What should we do…? There’s no way we’ll be able to win if that happens.
He likely won’t act on that threat until the final day of the exhibit: June 5th. Simply put, I doubt he would be so foolish as to taint his name with a trial during his exhibition.
All right, so we just gotta steal Madarame’s heart by then. There’s no way we’re gonna let him press charges… We’ll show people who he really is!

And after all that, we’re finally ready to head back into Madarame’s Palace.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 29, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

...However, it has a dark side to it as well!

Yes! YES! The power of the Sun God has opened your eyes to the truth. Madarame is a pig rolling in a trough of money! By the name of the Sun God shall he be condemned!

I feel like this guy would make a better Phantom Thief than most of our cast. At least when he blurts out information, people just think he's crazy.

Meanwhile, I'm guessing our present party has at least five more instances where someone threatens to call the cops on them because they can't approach situations with delicacy.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

Shalalaaa, your smile…/Shalalala, during the rice season… No, no, that’s no good! Ah can’t let m’country side show any! I need to write a soul-shaking rock song… I need the gods of rock to speak through me!

Looks like our resident rocker is actually a little bit country.

I love this guy. Really, that there are so many interesting side characters that actually makes the place you're living feel like a gently caress-huge city is one of this games' strength. Meeting new people was pretty rewarding in P4, too, but, really, I find more characters stick out in my mind in P5 than P4 (the only one I remember, besides your SLs, was Funky Student, but then, he's really all you need, isn't he?)

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

There is that starry eyed kid that is totally pretending to be us, this rock guy, the shady homeless guy, the two housewives, the sloshed drunk, the two kids, the girl and her mom and old dog, the old people in the daytime in Yongen (where the drunk is), this sun god worshipper, the tv reporters, the foreign barker, those pickup artists...

And that's just from the locations that we have unlocked. There are a lot more in school, including a faculty member and a student (in the courtyard). It takes a lot of time to track them all down, plus most of their dialogue gets updated with the plot, like when you first find a palace, then send a calling card and so on.

It's great.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm whatever intern Nintendo of America got to voice Mist in Fire Emblem 9 and 10.

Actually just 9, for 10 they had Lani Minella pull quadruple duty on every girl that had voiceovers.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

AweStriker posted:

Actually just 9, for 10 they had Lani Minella pull quadruple duty on every girl that had voiceovers.

That explains why Micaiah, Mist, and Mia are all equally bad.

(As is everyone else except like... Shinon.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I like the touch that the politician who is about sticking to your beliefs and convictions will rank up each visit no matter what you choose to say, so that you don't have to try to suck up to advance the social link.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

That explains why Micaiah, Mist, and Mia are all equally bad.

(As is everyone else except like... Shinon.)

The strange thing is the guy that did Shinon has no other voice credits that aren't documentary narration.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Night10194 posted:

You know, I like the touch that the politician who is about sticking to your beliefs and convictions will rank up each visit no matter what you choose to say, so that you don't have to try to suck up to advance the social link.

I imagine the Moon link as a reversal where you're the NPC and Mishima is the player character picking all the wrong options but it's okay because he's got a matching Persona in his party.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think Tora's rank 2 bonus still pops up from time to time, it's just that the higher-level bonuses have a % chance of activating whereas the rank 2 one always pops as long as nothing else does? It's kind of opaque but I've definitely managed to use it even after leveling him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deltasquid posted:

I think Tora's rank 2 bonus still pops up from time to time, it's just that the higher-level bonuses have a % chance of activating whereas the rank 2 one always pops as long as nothing else does? It's kind of opaque but I've definitely managed to use it even after leveling him.

This is accurate, but the actual technique becomes impossible because if the higher level bonus pops you're locked into it.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Yes, that's correct. The later bonus sometimes activates, and sometimes does not. If it doesn't, you can still farm money repeatedly. Not advancing the Confidant because of that is just asinine.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
After reading this update and the group explaining to Yusuke how to get to a palace using the nav, I went back to an earlier update to confirm a suspicion...

...and yep. The reason we end up missing half of our first day of school and almost get killed by shadows is because Ryuuji was bitching about Kamoshida to Maaku while Maaku's metaverse app got accidentally activated. The access words in particular were "Kamoshida", "Castle", and "Shuijinn"

Getting into trouble for getting angry and shouting stuff is basically Ryuuji 101, so I'm not surprised but I'm very pleased. :allears:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Arist posted:

This is accurate, but the actual technique becomes impossible because if the higher level bonus pops you're locked into it.

Fair enough. It's just weird how people go "don't level Tora or you'll lose the best money-milking technique in the game!!" when 1) there's several ways to get loads of cash and 2) you can still use this technique about half of the time instead of 100% of the time. Anyone advocating not doing the confidant is crazy or dislikes Tora (i.e. an objectively wrong opinion).

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Rawkking posted:

After reading this update and the group explaining to Yusuke how to get to a palace using the nav, I went back to an earlier update to confirm a suspicion...

...and yep. The reason we end up missing half of our first day of school and almost get killed by shadows is because Ryuuji was bitching about Kamoshida to Maaku while Maaku's metaverse app got accidentally activated. The access words in particular were "Kamoshida", "Castle", and "Shuijinn"

Getting into trouble for getting angry and shouting stuff is basically Ryuuji 101, so I'm not surprised but I'm very pleased. :allears:

I hadn't put two and two together there, that kind of owns. Ryuji's alright in my book :allears:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Yeah, if you're not maxing the politician, you're missing out on a lot of good bonuses and a fun social link. Whoever says to stop at rank 2 is doing it wrong.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hell, the later bonuses are way better than getting more money, which you're probably getting a poo poo-ton of anyway past the early-game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rawkking posted:

That's the kind of subtle writing I always miss but wind up appreciating when it's pointed out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tora is spectacular, I continue to be upset that I missed out on him

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rawkking posted:

Doesn't Maaku stare at his phone for a second after Ryuji says "Pervert teacher" or something like that, a voice wave appears on the app screen, and then it activates, giving both of them a headache in that in game cut-scene? Or am I misremembering?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The first words we hear Ryuji say are 'Screw that pervy teacher', and then he goes on to ask us if we're going to tell on him to Kamoshida, and how he thinks the school is his castle, and since we don't know our crappy PE teacher, because we be the new kid, he also asks us if we're going to Shujin.

Normal people don't have access to metaverse apps.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Ryuji says various things in that scene, and Maaku parrots some of them back, and they just happen to be the correct words to trigger the app. You do need an actual name, so 'pervert teacher' isn't valid. But you say 'Kamoshida' in either of your first responses to Ryuji. Although in the third response, one of the two options doesn't include the word 'Shujin!' What a gag that would have been, if you chose that option and the game ended right then and there.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Montegoraon posted:

Ryuji says various things in that scene, and Maaku parrots some of them back, and they just happen to be the correct words to trigger the app. You do need an actual name, so 'pervert teacher' isn't valid. But you say 'Kamoshida' in either of your first responses to Ryuji. Although in the third response, one of the two options doesn't include the word 'Shujin!' What a gag that would have been, if you chose that option and the game ended right then and there.

It's not necessary that Maaku says the words. Basically one app is enough for all. I mean we did suck Ann in with us and she didn't have the app at that point.

Plus the second time we go to the castle, Ryuji uses our app on our phone, so you can just say it was Ryuji who landed us in the palace.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm not sure if it has to be a person holding a phone with the app or anyone nearby so I just said it was Ryuuji's fault in a vague way, cause without him talking about how much he hates Kamoshida the app never would have taken them to the palace. We definitely know that the app can suck in nearby people and that those people then gain access to the app on their phone, but Maaku parroting Ryuuji may or may not have been necessary in the case of Ryuuji not having the app.

I would think the phone overhearing Ryuuji would be enough, but when it comes to weird magic smartphone apps all bets are off.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You'll notice in the scene where the Thieves tried to identify Madarame's Palace that only the protagonist had his phone out, but it was accepting Ryuji and Anne's suggestions as well.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Deltasquid posted:

Fair enough. It's just weird how people go "don't level Tora or you'll lose the best money-milking technique in the game!!" when 1) there's several ways to get loads of cash and 2) you can still use this technique about half of the time instead of 100% of the time. Anyone advocating not doing the confidant is crazy or dislikes Tora (i.e. an objectively wrong opinion).

There's also 3) It isn't even close to the best money farming technique in the game

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Dark Flame Master posted:

There's also 3) It isn't even close to the best money farming technique in the game

Even if that method didn't exist, you could just find a different group of shadows and steal their lunch money for a while. As long as you've got the right accessories (and you drat well should), money is not an issue in this game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 35: 5/23: Paint Me Like One Of Your Ukiyo-e Girls

Music: A Woman

It has to be “Kitsune.” You know, with that kitsune mask and everything.
Hell yeah. That really leaves an impression.

What do you want your name over here to be?
I’d say “Da Vinci.”
Nope.

Well, you’ve got that mask like Ann said… and there’s that weird tail...

What?

Oh. Well, that didn’t translate at all.

Snrk…!
Very well.

It’s decided then: Abura-age.
Nuh-uh! Not happening! Do you have any ideas, Joker?

Ohhh, just keep it literal, huh? Sounds good to me.
What do you think, Fox?
It’s acceptable.
It’s set then. Let’s go.

Starting lineup? You mean the ones who’ll be going in first?
Yeah. Now that Fox has joined us, it’ll be harder to move around as a group. We’ll stand out more too. Considering how we’ve operated to this point, we should have four starters. Anyone else can be backup.
And I guess we always gotta have our leader with us, right?
Exactly. That’s why we’ll have Joker choose the remaining three.
And what should the backup do? Would it be best for them to stay outside of the Palace?
No, they should come in as well, but maintain a reasonable distance from the main group. In other words, the starting lineup is the first wave of our infiltration force. Well, we’ll leave the team composition to you, Joker.

We can change our party members through the menu at any time, unlike in P3 and P4. Also thanks to our current rank in the Moon Confidant, backup party members end up gaining a limited amount of experience.

*sigh* Thanks to all my hard work.
...What do you mean by that?
Don’t worry about it. C’mon, let’s keep going!

These Jack Frosts go down quick to Fire.

In the next hall, we see a large statue of Madarame.

I guess Palace rulers like makin’ statues of themselves.
It was the same with Kamoshida. I guess this one’s a little better-made though.
I-Is that so…?

Ooh, do you think that could be another pamphlet? Let’s take it with us, Joker!

You’re right. It says it’s the second out of two.

Now we can use it to figure out where the Treasure is, right?
I suspect it’s in the innermost point of this place. If that’s the case…

Hm, we will need to pass through the lounge and the gallery in order to reach it...
The deeper in we go, the tighter security’s going to be. We need to advance carefully, OK?

Looking into the large hall before us, we see it’s filled with a maze of lasers.

I’m curious about the paintings further in. It feels as though I could walk right into them...

Nearby, we use our last Lockpick on a chest and receive some alright rewards.

And further in, we see a hallway with the lasers turned off...

...only to turn on when we approach.

These Inugami are weak to Wind and like to use Physical strikes.

This statement would make a lot more sense if the lasers actually showed up in this scene.

Much better.

Remember how in the castle Heavenly Punisher (Archangel) was several levels higher than us, meaning that not only could it stomp us flat, we couldn’t add it to our party? This Nue is the same way. In addition to feeding us a healthy diet of Skull Crackers...

...it also loves to hit us with multi-target Curse, which we don’t have a great way of dealing with. It’s thankfully weak to Fire, though.

Just like before, we should be able to turn off any systems that are giving us trouble there.
Though it’s prolly gonna be tough gettin’ in at all...

Behind these shutters is a security room. The room only has one unsealed entrance, so we’re forced to look around for another route.

Indeed. It bears such a bizarre texture as well. It’s as though I could simply slip inside...

The painting shimmers and warps.

Wh-What the!?

M-My hand… It actually entered the painting...
So we can go inside of it…? Well, I don’t see any other path for us to take. Let’s give it a try!

Well, you heard the cat, let’s jump in.

What the heck was that…!?
We’re probably just hearing Madarame’s thoughts. There’s no need to panic.
Madarame...

We run to the left...

...and warp into another painting.

Hm… So this space is not merely one, but a multitude of paintings.
...You’re tellin’ me they’re all connected? Which one goes where?
That, we will have to continue walking to find out…
Hey Joker, can’t you spot the connections with your skills?

(He means use Third Eye to see where the paintings connect)

So he dares call us thieves who dirty his heart… The one who has sullied the very nature of art itself has no right to accuse us of such a thing…!
Save your emotions for later. We have to keep moving!

Nearby, a vent takes us into the next room.

There, another Shadow waits.

His stance conveys the notion that he is no ordinary foe.
I think the control room’s behind him. He’s probably guarding it to make sure nobody gets too close. However, we’ll need to disarm the security if we want to ensure we have a safe infiltration route. Forcing our way through seems to be our only option… Hey, are you ready to do this?

Music: Blood of Villain

You expect me to move just because you tell me to!? I’m afraid you’re sorely mistaken!

Boss: Bringer of Misfortune

Music: Keeper of Lust

In the two turns this guy gets before I kill him, we learn that he blocks Physical and Gun (annoying, especially because I brought Ryuji instead of Ann), inflicts party members with Rage (really annoying, because he blocks Physical and I only had two Relax Gels) and likes to raise his Attack (meh). I believe he also uses Gun attacks, but gently caress if he got a chance to use them.

Music: A Woman

Phew, that guy was tough… I guess that’s just par for the course in a Palace...
It really was on a totally different level from the other enemies though…
Hm, he dropped some sort of card.

Skill cards first appeared in Persona 3 Portable, and in Persona 4 Golden were known as one of several ways to break the game wide open. They’re nowhere near as common in this game, to the point where they might as well not exist unless you really take the time to engage with the proper systems, but they’re still handy if you know what you’re doing.

What’s this for? I’ve never seen anything like it...
Ain’t it just some kinda loot? C’mon, let’s get back to explorin’.

We pass another treasure chest we can’t open. One day I’m gonna look up what’s in those chests, but not today.

Sweet! Let’s turn that poo poo off already!

Ugh, another one…?
We’ll just have to look for someone else who might know it...

Circling back around to an earlier hallway brings us within earshot of a couple of familiar faces… er, masks.

Yeah. I just got a call earlier to change the password here too…
What to? It better not be simple.
Well, I was having some trouble coming up with a good one… For now, I set it to the numbers for Lord Madarame’s feet.
Lord Madarame’s feet? What are you talking about?
Let’s get back on duty. There’s a chance the intruders are nearby.

Maybe… his shoe size?
Yo, Yusuke. You know that bastard’s shoe size?
Unfortunately, I have never heard him mention it. Are we sure that is the proper password…?
Madarame’s feet… What do you think that could mean…?

Whatever we do, let’s not look for the answer on the internet.

We head back over to the statue. On my first playthrough, this took me an absolutely embarrassing amount of time to find because I had ignored the statue completely.

”Here we praise our most holy lord Ichiryusai Madarame, the one ray of hope in this depraved world. He stands alone as his two adept hands paint into the future. None shall ever match his excellence.”
Pffft! He’s really puffin’ his chest out here, ain’t he…?
Hold on a moment… Could this be the spot of “Madarame’s feet” that the security guard mentioned?
It’s at his feet… Oh, right! But isn’t the password supposed to be a number of some kind?
Hm, I do believe there are numbers here though… “One” ray of hope stands “alone” with “two adept hands.” “None” shall match him… That means…

Yeah, that must be it!
Sweet! Let’s head back and shut down the security!

The shutters open and all lasers on the floor deactivate.

We’ll definitely be able to go to more places now! Come on, let’s get moving!

We head past the laser hallway we saw earlier into a new hall.

There is something off about these though...
Why don’t we go take a closer look?

Hm… It looks like these ones are all completely different.
And look. There are even two frames with no paintings at all.
That is strange… but we don’t have a choice. Let’s go, Joker.

The slow drain of my skill is inevitable when I am surrounded by such mediocrity...
...So he’s gonna blame the world for his declinin’ skill? Heh, that bastard never had any real talent to begin with!

From here, we head right.

People gather under shrine gates, offer their money, and return home fully satisfied. Art is practically the same. In the end, it is all just a matter of imagination…!
Huh!? Even if that’s true, that doesn’t give you the right to be deceiving people!

And, right again.

So they’re not connected exactly as they seem… We’ll have to keep trying until we find the right way.

We head right into the gate painting once more...

...but this time, we head forward, into the gate itself.

Too many young people do not see the true value in youth these days. What fools… Is it truly wrong for an expert such as myself to capitalize on that youth before it wastes away?
What the heck? He’s basically saying he’s jealous of young talent… Look at me! I was turned into a cat, but I’m still fighting. Age isn’t a valid excuse.

Now, we jump out of the painting onto the nearby platform.

There, we press the button.

A new painting appears in one of the empty frames.

So passing through one hidden route leads to the formation of another… What an elaborate ruse. It’s highly likely there is a new path through the paintings. We should investigate, Joker.

We head back into the painting, left to the desert, right to the gate, and right again to the new painting.

Art, life, water… They are all identical. The one who ascends to the summit is the victor!
So he’s usin’ all those pretty words, but he’s basically sayin’ people are like steppin’ stones. That’s just like what he did to all those kids—crushed ‘em for his “art”! What a piece of poo poo!

We approach the octopus on the side of the boat.

I guess it is just a painting, after all. I’m sure we’ll be OK...

The boat shakes and the octopus swings one of its tentacles…

...knocking us straight out of the painting.

We land unharmed on the floor.

poo poo.

Fighting these enemies gives Morgana Magaru, finally letting him hit multiple enemies.

Ignoring the previous incident, we make our way back up to the boat painting, jump out, and hit the button.

Another new painting appears.

Ah, there are no longer any empty frames at this point.
I bet there’s a new path again too. Let’s get in there and check it out.

We can’t jump back into the boat painting from here, so we’re forced to jump down and re-enter from the desert painting, then head right to the shrine and forward into the gate.

Back in the forest, we climb along the scenery and head forward once we reach the peak.

My fine mansion, my lifestyle among the chosen few… Those things are the true “art”!
So running your atelier out of a shabby, run-down shack was simply an act after all… How foolish I was to have been deceived for so long...
Fox...

How despicable… We have encountered so many of his paintings, yet not once did he mention a love for art. These are no “paintings”… They are just meaningless self-assertions placed into picture frames…!
I’m excited to see how the change of heart alters him. Now, let’s hurry!

We’ve made it through the painting maze, but there’s still a decent amount of this Palace left. Next time, we’re making it to the end.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 29, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Da Vinci would have made a cool code name, even if it doesn't really fit the aesthetics of the others.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
For all that I think this entire scenario nearly ruins the game, I do think the dungeon has some of the best setpieces and design of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This dungeon got very Super Mario 64 in a hurry.