Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Stan Taylor posted:

Is that ultra dlc for Dead Rising 3 just not available on PC?

you mean the alpha ultra deluxe ~ dlc or whatever? Yeah that's xbox one only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't even really point out why it was so unsatisfying, either. Was it just because it was kinda slow and didn't feel dynamic? Was it because the enemies were pretty samey? Was it because I took the class whose flaw was that it moved 10% slower (why would you even consider this in your design!?)?

It's a shame because there was a lot to like about the systems in the Van Helsing games, but it just felt so plodding to go through.

Pools of Radiance, not ToEE.

Yeah I just did some research and came back to correct my post

edit: lol here we go

quote:

The Pool of Radiance 1.1 Installer Patch fixes a problem of not being able to install Pool of Radiance onto drives other than the C Drive. It also provides a new uninstall program.

Hollenhammer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 21, 2017

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's coming out this time

Until it gets pulled to fix the 5 million bugs he added to fix the 1 million bugs.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Re: Omegaland:

It is absolutely not true that "everyone should buy it."

It is, however, true that anybody who already knows who Jonas Kyratzes is, and loved his work on The Talos Principle and, more relevantly perhaps, The Sea Will Claim Everything, should buy it.

Even if you fit into that category but are thinking, "well, I enjoyed those games, but this thing looks really boring and generic, and simply having a Big Twist isn't enough to redeem it," you should buy it. Trust me on this one. This game isn't just Indie Platformer With A Gimmick #681354; the "gimmick" is actually core to the game and is developed mechanically and thematically really well.

(The phrase that kept running through my head was, "The real Omegaland starts here.")

Seriously if you're on the fence for this specific reason, take the plunge. If you're not yet familiar with Kyratzes's work, though, this is probably not the best place to start to make you a fan, so go play The Sea Will Claim Everything instead.

also yeah this game is woke af

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

havenwaters posted:

you mean the alpha ultra deluxe ~ dlc or whatever? Yeah that's xbox one only.

Whyyy do they do this? The same kind of thing happened on with Burnout Paradise and its so dumb, especially since people coming to a game years later will most likely be on PC.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stan Taylor posted:

Whyyy do they do this? The same kind of thing happened on with Burnout Paradise and its so dumb, especially since people coming to a game years later will most likely be on PC.

Microsoft funded the development of dead rising 3 to sell xboxes

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

corn in the bible posted:

Microsoft funded the development of dead rising 3 to sell xboxes

But the game is on computer.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't even really point out why it was so unsatisfying, either. Was it just because it was kinda slow and didn't feel dynamic? Was it because the enemies were pretty samey? Was it because I took the class whose flaw was that it moved 10% slower (why would you even consider this in your design!?)?

It's a shame because there was a lot to like about the systems in the Van Helsing games, but it just felt so plodding to go through.

I think it was a combination of the sound effects being weak and the skills not having much of an active component to them. My shooty-gun guy had like five different kinds of bullets, a trap, and some passive seekers, meaning almost every single fight was just deciding what kind of bullet to shoot. Even explosives sounded like dull thuds and didn't send enemies flying or anything, and I couldn't really set up situations where I blew up a bunch of dudes at once.

I liked Van Helsing overall and I was pretty happy to play through the whole thing (once), but it probably has some of the weakest combat among modern ARPGs. Diablo 3 really raised the bar with their sound design and visual feedback on smashing dudes, and any game that didn't work to catch up (like Grim Dawn did during Early Access) feels pretty lackluster as a result.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Well after.

It didn't do its intended job very well.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Stan Taylor posted:

Well, selling xboxes is not going well nowadays.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

ya that makes no sense at all. If they wanted Dead rising to be some big exclusive they should have only pushed as Xone like Sunset Overdrive. An exclusive dlc is basically nothing at this point no matter how big it is.

Did anyone play Sunset Overdrive? Looks fun.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
DR3 was Bone exclusive for like a year

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ulio posted:

Did anyone play Sunset Overdrive? Looks fun.

Really depends whether or not you like memes and guns in shape of a dick. It's a game for 14-year olds.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Really depends whether or not you like memes and guns in shape of a dick. It's a game for 14-year olds.

So it's a video game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Stan Taylor posted:

there is Dead Rising 2 stuff that is still xbox 360 exclusive

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bundle Stars has Epistory for five bucks today, which is an amazing price for a beautiful game. If you haven't, consider it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I really don't care or mind that stuff I was asking mostly about the gameplay. Running/dashing around in that world looked fun. Kinda reminded me of Infamous from PS3. Other than Prototype there aren't any open world with super powers kinda game on pc like those.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ulio posted:

I really don't care or mind that stuff I was asking mostly about the gameplay. Running/dashing around in that world looked fun. Kinda reminded me of Infamous from PS3. Other than Prototype there aren't any open world with super powers kinda game on pc like those.

Saint's Row 4

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Saint Rows 4 is good but its not really as tight in terms of controls or combat to Infamous but there are more side content compared to Infamous which has nothing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is this DOOM update 34 gigs installed? That's just barely more than I have free on my SSD. I don't give a poo poo about the multiplayer portion of the game, and I don't want to have to uninstall or move it.

EDIT: Hang on, does Steam preallocate hard drive space before starting update downloads?

A good poster fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 21, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I posted earlier about Tangledeep when I was just a few hours in and it was crashing a lot, but the crashing has been fixed so here's an updated post after ~5 hours of crashless gameplay.

It's a good, classical roguelike.

Pros:
Looks and sounds fantastic. Lots of devs shoot for the 16-bit aesthetic and they generally think that just means "pixel art" but it's pretty clear that whoever did the art for Tangledeep actually understands what made 16-bit art work. I used to do pixel art as a teenager and spent a lot of time in the big pixelart communities like Pixelation and it's just really refreshing to see this all handled in a way that it would have been handled in the 16 bit era. No subpixels, very little tweening in the animations (the only ones I can think of are maybe the turtle dude in camp, or when enemies 'jump' at you and their sprite rotates around, but actually those might not be tweened at all), the animations seem to be legit hand-drawn for each frame. Just really cool stuff here.

FFT job system allows for a lot of customization, you can change classes for money (or with a consumable) at any time, learn new skills, then change classes again and keep using those skills.

Limited healing (you can't infinitely farm healing consumables or gold to buy healing in town and no ability to just rest for health/energy/stamina) makes you think about every action you take. After I got over never feeling really 'safe' I started to like this. It's not even about always using your defensive abilities or anything because you have to manage your resources the same way you manage health.

I'm usually pretty impatient in Roguelikes and die a lot to things like bumping several times in a row without paying attention to the combat log, but telegraphed attacks by enemies and the scarcity of resources has me taking it easy here, and the pacing is fast enough that taking it slow isn't bothering me.

Some cool branching dungeons where you get multiple choices of where to go next after taking out a boss.

Devs are super fast about responding to bug reports. I reported one in Discord and a new Steam build was pushed out to fix it less than 5 minutes after it was seen. They're also really active and receptive in Discord in general.

Only minor progression between runs means the game doesn't just become easier as time goes on, but there's still a little something so a dead character doesn't feel like a waste. You can store items for future characters and you can plant trees that will provide them with food in town.

Classes in general are interesting and do cool things, like the Spellshaper that uses different abilities to shape the AoE or modify the effects of the element he wants to cast, or the HuSyn that plays sort of like Orianna from League of Legends but in a roguelike.

Cons:

Still needs some balancing work, but that's just about every Roguelike

The limited resources mean it is possible to fall into no-win situations.

Classes aren't fully fleshed out yet, you run out of things to spend JP on unless you change classes.

Resource management can be a pain and feel like you're hitting a brick wall sometimes.

Consensus:

A good traditional roguelike and there aren't enough of those coming out.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Occultatio posted:

Re: Omegaland:

It is absolutely not true that "everyone should buy it."

It is, however, true that anybody who already knows who Jonas Kyratzes is, and loved his work on The Talos Principle and, more relevantly perhaps, The Sea Will Claim Everything, should buy it.

Even if you fit into that category but are thinking, "well, I enjoyed those games, but this thing looks really boring and generic, and simply having a Big Twist isn't enough to redeem it," you should buy it. Trust me on this one. This game isn't just Indie Platformer With A Gimmick #681354; the "gimmick" is actually core to the game and is developed mechanically and thematically really well.
M
(The phrase that kept running through my head was, "The real Omegaland starts here.")]

Between the games general aesthetic/feel and the way people talk about it I thought it would have been a pretty funny meta joke if it never actually took a turn.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Atomicated posted:

Between the games general aesthetic/feel and the way people talk about it I thought it would have been a pretty funny meta joke if it never actually took a turn.

You're actually the bad guy and all the happy little dinos and bees you're jumping on are going extinct. You as a leprechaun are a visual metaphor for endless aspirational corporate greed, chasing for a pot of gold that will never come. Please mail these GOTY awards to my business address, thanks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm never going to play Omegaland one way or another, someone just spoil it for me for reals, tia.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone told me it's literally about seizing the means of development from the developers so that you can build a utopia in the level editor or something

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone picking up Fortnite? I don't see any thread on it so I thought I'd ask here. I saw some gameplay vids and it looks neat but I'm not sure if it'll have legs on the Epic launcher.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Palpek posted:

Remember that the original release version of Myth 2 was so badass that it deleted your hard drive when you uninstalled it (if the game folder was directly on C:). Bungie had to recall all Myth II CDs to fix this.

I remember thinking at the time (and I still agree today) that anyone who installs their games direct onto the drive (so, c:/myth2.exe ) deserves anything they get

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Resident evil games are bad.

This is extremely true, but at least one of them is a genuinely good game somehow despite being bad. And that game's name is Resident Evil 4. I still love that stupid, stupid franchise though and I always will :allears:

Also lol at Humble Bundle actually putting a "3/5" review under Resident Evil 0. That's at least one mark too high.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

This is extremely true, but at least one of them is a genuinely good game somehow despite being bad. And that game's name is Resident Evil 4. I still love that stupid, stupid franchise though and I always will :allears:

Also lol at Humble Bundle actually putting a "3/5" review under Resident Evil 0. That's at least one mark too high.
Revelations 1 and 2 are pretty good as well. Not classics like RE4 but still a lot of fun.

e: Is 0 the one with leeches? Why the gently caress did that get a remake?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Say what you will about Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil 0 was so bad it actually ruined the entire franchise. Everything in the series? Yeah that was caused by The Crow But With Leeches Instead of Crows.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mordja posted:

I'm never going to play Omegaland one way or another, someone just spoil it for me for reals, tia.

Princess Omega asks you to find the five keys, so that she can get into Castle Omega. Damsel in distress and all that jazz.

You gather the keys and hand them over. The Princess turns out to be a huge bitch because Castle Omega houses the Tools of Development and she takes all the power for herself, corrupting the entire gameworld. (She wanted infinite coins, you see.)

The survivors gather in Castle Alpha and you begin your trek to wrest the power back from the Princess. The levels are pretty freaky and difficult, but you can buy various upgrades to eventually make things manageable.

After collecting the same five keys again, you enter Castle Omega. You fight your way through and unceremoniously walk past some giant glitched version of the Princess (not much of a fight, really), finally reaching the access privileges for the Tools of Development. You set them from private to public and are promptly ejected into the air.

A short moment later, you land back in the restored gameworld and see everyone is fine and dandy. Everyone's gathered to celebrate the victory and...

You pull the lever on the guillotine, cutting the Princess' head off. All is well.

You can revisit all the levels, though you can neither collect any money or get hurt. Every level is safe. You can talk to the NPCs for various funny remarks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

anilEhilated posted:

Revelations 1 and 2 are pretty good as well. Not classics like RE4 but still a lot of fun.

It wasn't a remake, they just updated it to work in HD. It was built on the same engine the REmake was to begin with, IIRC, so it probably wasn't hard to port over once they'd done REmake.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I watched a friend play up to the ninth mission of Children of Zodiarcs (mostly because I'm real wary of games that try to emulate Ogre Tactics and/or FFT so I wasn't going to drop cash on it without seeing it in action) and here are my impressions:

- The card system is neat. I like that there's a base value for attacks that not only constantly scales, but also gains new effects as you level up. There are two things I didn't like: if you hand gets clogged early on with all your healing and debuff cards, then you can't fight at all. But if your healing cards never show up you're going to start losing characters fast. Secondly, the fact that you have to give up a turn (or hope for a Free Action die face to turn up) to get more cards is bothersome. You get no free draws and you have no control regarding what gets discarded by enemy actions.

- Combat is ultra swingy. I love that there's no to-hit roll (to-hit is a terrible mechanic) but damage ranges quickly get absurd: during Mission 9, a basic melee attack by a basic melee enemy may do between 13 to 34 damage and your characters have between 40 to 60 hp. The fact that there is no area of control means enemies can walk around your other characters to hit anyone who's almost dead. It feels like rocket tag at times - either kill all enemies in range in one turn or get absolutely dumpstered by powerful attacks. This wasn't a problem early on, but it became one after mission 6 or so.

- Combat is also slow. Devs just added a fast forward button which is a godsend because enemies that are outside of range tend to buff themselves up and watching those slow animations play out means that you could easily wait more than 5 minutes before it is your turn again. There are also multiple instances where the enemy gets healers and your best character against them (your physical ranged damage character) is unavailable for no reason which means you are relegated to either your squishy Rogue (who will NOT survive)

- The game LOVES to dump a ton of enemies on you while also removing one of the members of your three-man squad from the mission, which feels straight out mean. Enjoy killing upwards of 10+ enemies with two squishy characters. It got particularly egregious in one of the early missions (Mission 9): the basic melee enemy can kill your guys in two to three hits. You get reinforcements after turn 4, but it's a new character that spawns in with three cards. Which could easily be his three healing cards. :downs:

- Debuffs aren't useful. They add cursed dice to the enemy attack throws. A cursed die has a bunch of negative damage sides (which remove damage from the enemy attack) and a couple of positive damage sides (which add damage to the enemy attack). So basically you waste a turn to maybe affect the enemy attack (you may end up boosting it instead). Even those that have a guaranteed effect feel kinda poo poo (like making enemies discard cards) because the discards are random. It gets even worse when you realize most of your attacks have extra debuffs that get triggered on star rolls - which are just as, if not more, useful than your debuff powers (because you're also dealing damage while at it).

- It felt grindy. After getting murdered in Mission 9, my friend went and did a skirmish (optional random battles, basically). The rewards were meagre (3-8 exp per hit, 11 exp per kill - you need a 100xp to level up) and it wasn't clear whether he was supposed to grind or not, because the enemy troops started at a way higher level than yours during missions (to the point where killing a random rear end enemy would give you 45-63~ exp, which meant your troops may end up leveling twice in the first three rounds).

- The characters aren't interesting and the dialogue is boring. Not like you play a game like this for the story, but hey.

- There are no mid-battle saves you can load or a rewind system. If you lose a character halfway through the battle, better restart because you just lost 1/3 of your DPS and healing power.

- The camera is atrocious. It doesn't zoom out enough, it gets constantly stuck behind scenery that blocks your vision during the enemy turn and clicking someone behind objects is impossible unless you can see their hex (you can't click the model).

It was interesting to play this game, which according to the creators was also inspired by board games, because last year a dungeon crawler board game called Gloomhaven came out. Gloomhaven has a card-based combat system where you pick two cards and perform one of the two actions on each card. Once you do so, you discard them. The thing is, if you're stuck with cards that are no good for your current situation (you have no movement cards and you need to move, no attack cards but you need to attack) you can just discard ANY of these cards to act as basic move and attack cards. Also you don't randomly draw them, you have them on you at all times which means it's you who decides what gets used and what doesn't.
In Children of the Zodiarc, you may easily run into a situation where you cannot do what you need to do because you can't attack enemies for turns on end, or you cannot heal a character that needs healing. And there's nothing you can do about except pass turns till you get the cards you need. The game is in a weird spot - its combat mechanics are ultra simple but you rely entirely on luck with next to no methods of mitigating it, aside from modifying some of the sides of your dice.

I give it props for trying something different than the usual attack-move ad infinitum, but I can't believe they actually did as much playtesting as they say they did and ended up thinking "yes, this is fun and has no issues"

Maybe it gets better after Mission 9! I don't know. Neither does my friend. Honestly, I'd give it a pass.

Azran fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 21, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

they still had all the assets so they just re-rendered everything in hd for a new, fancy look

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It was done on the same engine as the original Resident Evil 1 remake so I'm guessing it was relatively cheap to do since they already HD-ified the first one.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
dream daddy is pretty good, fellas.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
He's making a :3 face.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

A good poster posted:

Is this DOOM update 34 gigs installed? That's just barely more than I have free on my SSD. I don't give a poo poo about the multiplayer portion of the game, and I don't want to have to uninstall or move it.

EDIT: Hang on, does Steam preallocate hard drive space before starting update downloads?
I had to uninstall and reinstall the game to fit it through. Good times, good times.

I don't think it took much space after the fact though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

DROD is a fantastic game but jesus christ the entirety of level nine can gently caress off straight to hell

• Locked thread