Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

Come the gently caress on, you can't take a man's shtick just because he's dead.

Curt Hennig is rolling in his grave right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/KaivanShroff/status/888446337490071552

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

Curt Hennig is rolling in his grave right now

I haven't watched wrestling in years and never seriously watched it, but I remember being really impressed by how much he sold being hurt when whoever he was up against did some fancy pro-wrestling move on him.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

I haven't watched wrestling in years and never seriously watched it, but I remember being really impressed by how much he sold being hurt when whoever he was up against did some fancy pro-wrestling move on him.
He definitely would have had a World Title run if it weren't for Hulk Hogan and his bullshit politics

Hart/Perfect at SummerSlam '91 was one of the better matches I have seen

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Eli Wiggum posted:

He definitely would have had a World Title run if it weren't for Hulk Hogan and his bullshit politics

Hart/Perfect at SummerSlam '91 was one of the better matches I have seen

Man, wrestling used to be so good...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah, I only watched for a few years in the early 90's, but man did they have a bunch of mid-card guys who were great at making audiences absolutely hate them and then get their poo poo kicked in. Million Dollar Man, Ravishing Rick Rude, IRS, The Mountie...

SMH, not a Citigroup or JP Morgan exec in the bunch!!!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

weird Asian candy posted:

Man, wrestling used to be so good...
:smith: yeah, especially during the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era. Right now the WWE is total trash and has been for a while since they're coasting on account of being a virtual monopoly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

:smith: yeah, especially during the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era. Right now the WWE is total trash and has been for a while since they're coasting on account of being a virtual monopoly.

Bring back the gimmicks! Make everyone a comical profession that just happens to also wrestle constantly.

Where is the silicon valley doucehbag who has an app that he activates to summon a bunch of freelance jobbers to fight for him?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Bret Hart was always one of my favorites, he always did a good job of making his moves look mean as gently caress.

Falling headbut to the nuts "midsection"
Inverted atomic drop to the nuts "hip region"
Stomp to the nuts "midsection"

Boy, he sure hated nuts the midsection/hip area of his opponents. :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ok this is actually pretty good out of Orrin Hatch.

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/888089537469177856

https://twitter.com/senorrinhatch/status/888182240680738816

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
An atomic drop (inverted or otherwise) targets the tailbone
:goonsay:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I didn't realize the challenger explosion was real, but apparently I made a lot of references to it as a kid (I was 5 when it happened, and I saw it Live). Apparently I'd go around and make KABOOM effects and splay my arms out at random people.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If anything it makes me feel better. For the longest time I was worried this was a new rise of far right nationalism and watching it collapse under total incompetence has been very therapeutic.

They've been very good at the racism stuff, though.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

sean10mm posted:

Bret Hart was always one of my favorites, he always did a good job of making his moves look mean as gently caress.

Falling headbut to the nuts "midsection"
Inverted atomic drop to the nuts "hip region"
Stomp to the nuts "midsection"

Boy, he sure hated nuts the midsection/hip area of his opponents. :v:

Some of my favorite wrestlers growing up...Junkyard Dog, Koko B. Ware, British Bulldog, Brutus the Barber Beefcake, Bam Bam Bigelow, Sargeant Slaughter, Titonka, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, Steiner Brothers...man so many good wrestlers! Obviously the big names were great...Hulk, Andre, Million Dollar Man...

Remember those pillows they used to make of the wrestlers and those figures you would put your finger into? Good times...good times...

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Some of my favorite wrestlers growing up...Junkyard Dog, Koko B. Ware, British Bulldog, Brutus the Barber Beefcake, Bam Bam Bigelow, Sargeant Slaughter, Titonka, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, Steiner Brothers...man so many good wrestlers! Obviously the big names were great...Hulk, Andre, Million Dollar Man...

Remember those pillows they used to make of the wrestlers and those figures you would put your finger into? Good times...good times...

Oh man I loved Sargent Slaughter! I had the GI Joe of him and everything.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

it's funny how people criticized cena for having 5 moves of doom when bret did it too

not to take away from bret

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

it's funny how people criticized cena for having 5 moves of doom when bret did it too

One thing I noticed from watching some old wrestling bits from when I was a kid was that I apparently did not give a poo poo about the in-the ring wrestling. I just cared about how good they were at selling the character and also animals are rad as heck (Jake the Snake, Koko B Ware and the British Bulldogs)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

^ Absolutely! :hfive:

pubic works project posted:

Oh man I loved Sargent Slaughter! I had the GI Joe of him and everything.

Hell yeah! I did too!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

One thing I noticed from watching some old wrestling bits from when I was a kid was that I apparently did not give a poo poo about the in-the ring wrestling. I just cared about how good they were at selling the character and also animals are rad as heck (Jake the Snake, Koko B Ware and the British Bulldogs)
You aren't kidding. I was a huge Ultimate Warrior mark as a kid, ignoring the fact that he had poor cardio and an atrocious moveset. I just loved his nonsensical promos.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

You aren't kidding. I was a huge Ultimate Warrior mark as a kid, ignoring the fact that he had poor cardio and an atrocious moveset. I just loved his nonsensical promos.

<vigorously shakes ropes>

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Eli Wiggum posted:

Me too.

Was Hacksaw Jim Duggan like legit retarded? Also, used to love the Bushwhackers running around lickin' people's heads.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Didnt Hacksaw turn heel and start waving a Canadian flag at some point when WCW was dying

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

^ for like a minute

yeah nobody started really caring about in-ring performance in the wwf until later in the 90's

i've long maintained randy savage should be a college course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYRJLr90vSA

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The bushwackers were awesome. They'd rub random guy's faces in their pits and it would be super stinky because they ate sardines.

The undertaker was hilarious when he first started. He'd just do squash matches against 2-3 guys at a time and defeat all of them in 20 seconds,

Also all the managers were the best. Jimmy Hart, Bobby the Brain Heenan, Paul Bearer with the undertaker, that weird go go dancer chick with Honky Tonk Man, Dottie with The American Dream....

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

The bushwackers were awesome. They'd rub random guy's faces in their pits and it would be super stinky because they ate sardines.

The undertaker was hilarious when he first started. He'd just do squash matches against 2-3 guys at a time and defeat all of them in 20 seconds,

Also all the managers were the best. Jimmy Hart, Bobby the Brain Heenan, Paul Bearer with the undertaker, that weird go go dancer chick with Honky Tonk Man, Dottie with The American Dream....

Don't forget Mrs. Elizabeth!!!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I loved Monsoon and Heenan on commentary so much

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
This scaramucci presser is something else

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/888468970667245568

:boom:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Who still needs a QB?

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/888468860034273281

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Don't forget Mrs. Elizabeth!!!

Almost all the wrestling I watched was that stuff on Saturday morning, so the main headliners would almost never show up, so I didn't see Mrs. Liz until I started renting tapes from blockbuster, and then I was super confused about why Hogan and Macho Man were fighting over her and then best friends and man I never liked Hogan even as a kid. Hogan was too good for squash matches at 11 AM on Saturday morning, boo him.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

Almost all the wrestling I watched was that stuff on Saturday morning, so the main headliners would almost never show up, so I didn't see Mrs. Liz until I started renting tapes from blockbuster, and then I was super confused about why Hogan and Macho Man were fighting over her and then best friends and man I never liked Hogan even as a kid. Hogan was too good for squash matches at 11 AM on Saturday morning, boo him.
The thing with Hogan is that, even at his peak as the top face in the WWF, he was a heelish motherfucker.

I remember when No Holds Barred came out and Hogan would plug it on television, threatening to beat up parents if they didn't take their kids to see the movie. I was legit scared that Hogan was going to track my dad down and beat him up :downs:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of Hogan either growing up. And man, I don't remember Miss Elizabeth dying in 03...that made me sad :smith:

Also lol Blockbuster. I'll take things that kids will have never heard of for $500, Alex!

Eli Wiggum posted:

The thing with Hogan is that, even at his peak as the top face in the WWF, he was a heelish motherfucker.

I remember when No Holds Barred came out and Hogan would plug it on television, threatening to beat up parents if they didn't take their kids to see the movie. I was legit scared that Hogan was going to track my dad down and beat him up :downs:

I LOVED No Holds Barred. I remember thinking that Zeus dude was loving awesome. I doubt I could get through 15 minutes of it now though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

and i wondered as a mark in 1993 why hogan even had the title

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Spoeank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCAbBnWm4LM by the Alex Jones folk people. I missed this. It's amazing.

I actually know one of the main guys involved in Super Deluxe. His name is Cyrus and he used to be involved in the earwolf podcast although I dont know tos what extent.

He probably wrote that song. Super cool dude.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

How does the WWE not have a dude just doing Alex Jones?

Everything that guy does is already a wrestling promo, just add some beef slapping to it and put a belt on him Vince.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

I LOVED No Holds Barred. I remember thinking that Zeus dude was loving awesome. I doubt I could get through 15 minutes of it now though.
The only reason to watch No Holds Barred these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AIpeJ8zxEU&t=28s

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vertical Lime posted:

Bret often ended matches with the same ending moves, but he had like 100 150 are you kidding moves he used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe2D7vu2G8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YqXHiK4WfQ

Some are minor variants so it's not quite that crazy, but still.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

I bet he's shot a 38 at Mar o Lago too, with 11 holes in one.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the thing with wwe now is that it seems like sooner or later everybody's ruined

vince mcmahon might as well be al davis in his final years, just replace fast receivers with big men

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Vertical Lime posted:

the thing with wwe now is that it seems like sooner or later everybody's ruined

vince mcmahon might as well be al davis in his final years, just replace fast receivers with big men
This is the most talented roster in quite some time yet Jinder loving Mahal is World Champion and there's no end in sight for Roman Reigns' undeserved push.

If only there was a billionaire who was also a huge wrestling mark so he could snatch up a promotion like ROH and have it compete with WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Read "the Squared Circle." The history of wrestling is fascinating.

• Locked thread