Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Didn't see anyone post that

N: Celtics signed Shane Larkin
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20116645/the-boston-celtics-set-sign-free-agent-guard-shane-larkin

and they have a lot of players on their roster now

quote:

The Celtics have already formally signed nine players this summer -- including All-Star Gordon Hayward and seven players on rookie deals -- revamping the roster of a 53-win team that advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.

Boston made official Thursday the signings of 2016 first-round pick Guerschon Yabusele and German import Daniel Theis. Boston's other summer signings include veteran Aron Baynes and rookies Jayson Tatum, Ante Zizic, Abdel Nader and Semi Ojeleye. Rookie Kadeem Allen was signed to one of two available two-way G League contracts.

The Celtics also received Marcus Morris in the trade that sent Avery Bradley to Detroit in a cap-clearing move necessary to sign Hayward.

Boston's roster features just six returning players: Isaiah Thomas, Al Horford, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier.

The Celtics also signed Paul Pierce earlier this week so he could retire as a member of the team.

V:
I've always liked Shane Larkin and hope he does well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

I wonder if that means they'll have to stop taking money from agents and teams.

Where do you think the draft advisory board gets their rankings from? I know this is true in the NFL, at least.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Libertine posted:

Didn't see anyone post that

N: Celtics signed Shane Larkin
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20116645/the-boston-celtics-set-sign-free-agent-guard-shane-larkin

and they have a lot of players on their roster now

V:
I've always liked Shane Larkin and hope he does well.

Yeah they're at 16/15 right now after signing Yabusele. They're letting training camp decide which of them gets to entertain me while playing for the Red Claws

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/888422971332866048

The math is right

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

They should use the year before because Kawhi's defensive stats were all hosed up last year due to offenses scheming around him or whatever that article said

e: Oh

https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/888429772606513158

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Offenses took his man out of the play but he also went from playing with the best defensive center of all time (shut the gently caress up Bill Simmons) to Pau Gasol and Dwayne Dedmon

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Offenses took his man out of the play but he also went from playing with the best defensive center of all time (shut the gently caress up Bill Simmons) to Pau Gasol and Dwayne Dedmon

I'll hear no slander against the Deadman's defensive abilities. Strong like an oak tree

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

They were still the #1 DRTG team in the league. They were worse than the year before, but so was the rest of the league across the board. Leonard and Duncan only shared the floor for (on average) 15 minutes per game (1237/82 games). Leonard's drop in metrics comes from a combination of team scheme, defensive metrics being kinda of unreliable in general, and the fact that Leonard played more minutes with a heavier offensive responsibility.

Duncan helped, even as an old man, but I honestly don't expect Leonard to be the extreme defensive outlier he was playing 2500 minutes at 30%+ usage. He's still one of the best in the league though.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

dokmo posted:

I wonder if that means they'll have to stop taking money from agents and teams.

you mean the Strengths videos are unpure??

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

gently caress hjim.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah how dare he leave a franchise that spent years trying to trade him what a snake Sssssssssss

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
IT > Russ it is proven

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

A bunch of computer jockeys flummoxed at why a fanbase is acting irrational.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yes. I will fight to the death for my son. The stats are there. The passing is there. The boy is here to stay.

He cries for his country when they welcome him home and plays with such honor. Love Jokic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31aQVJME5oI

jokic is the one thing about the nuggets that gives me hope and when he inevitably leaves for SAS or GSW its gonna make me sad all over again

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Why is Russ so bad in transition?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The math is wrong

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Kemba is really underrated guys.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tanglewood1420 posted:

IT > Russ it is proven

Now that's what I like to see.

ex post facho posted:

jokic is the one thing about the nuggets that gives me hope and when he inevitably leaves for SAS or GSW its gonna make me sad all over again

He seems very loyal and sensitive so maybe he'll stay his entire career there!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Love Kemba but he's not in Wall's universe as a passer

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

someone show me iso joe vs melo on isos

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Why is Russ so bad in transition?

*fast breaks to the 3 point line*
*dribbles the ball in place for 20 seconds*
*jacks up a brick*

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kawhi being worse on defense this year was a combination of a) having to cover Pau's rear end on defense instead of being able to only have to do his own job funneling people to Duncan and b) shooting up from a 25 USG% to 31%.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Shear Modulus posted:

someone show me iso joe vs melo on isos

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
How is "Value added" calculated? Because if it isn't some bullshit numeracy that's a pretty cool tool.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i think the thing i love most about jokic is that unlike almost every player in denver's history (excepting glorious hotdog ironman Andre Miller) jokic's game requires almost zero athleticism to be extremely effective so i can seem him making ridiculous passes into his late 30s even if his defense regresses to a korver-like level

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How is "Value added" calculated? Because if it isn't some bullshit numeracy that's a pretty cool tool.

Value Added: Calculated by finding the difference between individual PPP and the league-average PPP for that play type, then multiplying by the number of possessions used. It indicates the value added on offense or saved on defense provided by that player, as compared to a league-average contributor filling that same role.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shear Modulus posted:

Kawhi being worse on defense this year was a combination of a) having to cover Pau's rear end on defense instead of being able to only have to do his own job funneling people to Duncan and b) shooting up from a 25 USG% to 31%.

Also teams shot a much better percentage from 3 when he was on the court which is probably a fluke since 3pt% allowed tends to be relatively random (as opposed to 3pt attempts allowed)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Doltos posted:

Where do you think the draft advisory board gets their rankings from? I know this is true in the NFL, at least.

In the NHL, a rich dude bought one of the big scouting agencies which coincidentally went on to rank his son as a mid-round pick while others had him unranked. To be fair, the kid is clawing out a career that should more than justify his spot, but still...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

pseudodragon posted:

In the NHL, a rich dude bought one of the big scouting agencies which coincidentally went on to rank his son as a mid-round pick while others had him unranked. To be fair, the kid is clawing out a career that should more than justify his spot, but still...

The second Ben Dogra or Drew Rosenhaus get a nfl prospect signed they become a top 50 pick, it was how I was able to predict some fringe first rounders for the past few years

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ooo baby

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/888483595307933697

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Was just coming to post that, NBA off-season is the best.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Send kyrie to the west

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Oh shiiiiiiiiittttt!

LeBron gone.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kyrie Irving future Spur baby

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

lets see you get traded without a gm kyrie!!!!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why would Kyrie want that right now? Next season sure, but he won't land on a better team or a better situation for himself.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Send kyrie to the west

:agreed:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ammanas posted:

*fast breaks to the 3 point line*
*dribbles the ball in place for 20 seconds*
*jacks up a brick*

thats not transition tho

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Bwahahhahahaha Dan Gilbert just hosed up his second opportunity! This is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Here's the article: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20124505/kyrie-irving-seeking-trade-cleveland-cavaliers

• Locked thread