Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yardbomb posted:

The worst part about Beyond's casting is that Willem Dafoe was actually really good in it at parts and that game didn't deserve him.

Same thing with Ellen Page.

If you never saw a LP at least of the game, I recommend everyone go do that. It doesn't help that the game Pulp Fictions it's chapters to create a sense of mystery.

At least Indigo Prophesy will always have a special place in my heart. That game is so loving crazy. Like, there is a point in the game where it just loses all sense of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Indigo Prophecy legitimately starts off super strong and even stays pretty interesting for a little while there, then everything else happens.

I won't say I don't still enjoy that dumb game a lot, but boy does it derail harder than I ever imagined a game could way back when I first played it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

This movie is my personal Phantom Menace. A complete disappointment from directors I adore. It's just too boring overall to enjoy.

The movie got me the moment it had the directors in the Wish You Were Here cover.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
what if David Cage made a video game adaptation of a Luc Besson movie

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

what if David Cage made a video game adaptation of a Luc Besson movie

Total plutonic reversal.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Also for Dafoe, no matter how bad Two Souls was, it will never top the fact he agreed to do Boondock Saints 2

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also for Dafoe, no matter how bad Two Souls was, it will never top the fact he agreed to do Boondock Saints 2

Or 1, for that matter. I don't know if I'll ever understand what people see in those movies. Other than knock-off Tarantino, I guess.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
they see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKTbFbwrxE

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

Willem Dafoe either makes good movies better or is the only salvageable thing in bad movies. Much like Christopher Walken

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I am kind of baffled at how many critics I respect seem really reluctant to believe that David Cage is just a Very Bad Writer.

Like I get that he's also actually a decent director and he can sell stock scenes well enough to distract you for a while, but sooner or later you look back at "okay what actually happened in this game" and realize that it's a whole mess of cliches, misogyny, and scenes lifted almost verbatim from other movies Cage thinks are cool with only a vague effort at actually expressing any particular theme or idea.

Like, say what you will about Hideo Kojima's writing - it's infinitely too wordy, it can get profoundly sexist, it can muddle its message - but you can at least tell that Kojima has Things and Values and Ideas that he consistently cares about and tries to talk about. Cage just grasps around and tries to mimic the superficial traits of works he thinks that other people think are profound. He's the definition of pretension.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 21, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Willem Dafoe either makes good movies better or is the only salvageable thing in bad movies. Much like Christopher Walken

I don't know if even he can save the Death Note movie, though.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
is the Death Note movie supposed to be bad?

I haven't seen much of it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Senerio posted:

Casting him as Ryuk is incredibly choice but yeah I'm more looking forward to the 4th Japanese Death Note movie coming overseas than the Netflix one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FoldableHuman posted:

As far as the "take" goes, it's not all about Cage, it's more that I started writing about Heavy Rain and video game writing and couldn't stop, so I had to back off and break it into smaller chunks. The short of it is that we're still just barely at the forefront of a time when game-specific narrative literacy is creeping into game production, and that largely from the indie side of things. Even then game-specific literacy is still nascent. There's a lot of idea that are just sort of half borrowed from film without any adjustment, and a whole pile of things that are clearly important to how games communicate with the audience but literally no one has sat down to describe WTF is going on. Camera behaviour, for example, is clearly pretty vital to whatever games are doing visually, and we don't even have a word for it. Like, we can't say "oh, this game has good cinematography" because it's not cinematography, and there literally isn't a word to fill in that gap. The closest I've seen is people writing about No Man's Sky and talking about "windowing" because of how the game uses windows to create compositions.

Stop making me excited for your videos. :argh:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

I am kind of baffled at how many critics I respect seem really reluctant to believe that David Cage is just a Very Bad Writer.

This is how I feel about Sam Barlow, especially with Her Story becoming a critical darling for reasons that escape me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

is the Death Note movie supposed to be bad?

I haven't seen much of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFzvJMmH9x0

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Looks good.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Like I get that he's also actually a decent director and he can sell stock scenes well enough to distract you for a while, but sooner or later you look back at "okay what actually happened in this game" and realize that it's a whole mess of cliches, misogyny, and scenes lifted almost verbatim from other movies Cage thinks are cool with only a vague effort at actually expressing any particular theme or idea.

Like, say what you will about Hideo Kojima's writing - it's infinitely too wordy, it can get profoundly sexist, it can muddle its message - but you can at least tell that Kojima has Things and Values and Ideas that he consistently cares about and tries to talk about. Cage just grasps around and tries to mimic the superficial traits of works he thinks that other people think are profound. He's the definition of pretension.

Well, look at the medium:

1) The vast majority of video game writing is even worse than that, as well as even more tropey and samey

2) We're still figuring out what the hell we're doing with this "writing for video... games???" stuff, so things that would otherwise be poo poo in other media can still seem fresh and cool.

3) There's the problem where a lot of critics are having to constantly blow through things to keep the content up, so they rarely have time to think much about the ins and outs of everything.

TheMaestroso posted:

This is how I feel about Sam Barlow, especially with Her Story becoming a critical darling for reasons that escape me.

Her Story's base story is pretty not good, but the way we get it is pretty awesome and new, and something that you could only do with video games, which is why everyone's so enamored of it. It's not the tale itself, but the way it's told.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bennett pulls out Suave to look at some hosed up "girl as a gently caress computer" anime.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, and despite being a pleasant game, the ridiculous amount of dialogue in it (especially the endless exchanges of pleasantries) is convincing me that linear, cut-scene based video game storytelling is the devil and only mechanics matter.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trails in the sky has the slowest pacing of any game I have ever played

by a mile

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Senerio posted:

Go watch You're Next and the Guest and come tell me that, nerd.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trails is good

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

TheMaestroso posted:

Or 1, for that matter. I don't know if I'll ever understand what people see in those movies. Other than knock-off Tarantino, I guess.

You have to remember the time Boondock Saints was made. The 90's were a boom time for Mirimax and independent film-making. Directors like Tarentino and Linklater started small and were making great films, so everyone wanted to find the next big thing. Duffy got his script bought during that time. Defoe probably took the role because he saw something in it, and I do not care what anyone says, he brought more to that character than was on the page. Sometimes actors just want an excuse to go all out. Another explanation is that he was doing a favor for Harvey and Bob, hoping to get some consideration for a better role.

Him being in Boondock Saints 2 is funny, since he's there for like 2 minutes at most. He got a good deal, he's absent from almost all of that terrible movie.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 21, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The 90s are a weird time where a lot of trash got made except unlike the 80s, history hasn't whittled down the nostalgia memories to only the good movies. (I still enjoy boondock saints, though. It's not a good movie but there are parts in it that have some merit, Dafoe's performance being one of them)

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Boondock saints is less than the sum of its parts. There are parts of the film that are actually pretty good, individual scenes if taken out and placed in a different movie would work great.

The problem is the overall frame-work of the movie that ties it all together is confused garbage that is also kind of religious fundamentalist terrorism endorsing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
David Cage is the living embodiment of the stereotype of a man who's too much of a failure of being a movie director, so he tries to push his cinematic dreams into the world of video games, as it's the one medium that employed him.

The other side of the coin is that a lot of games are stupid dweebs who haven't read a single book outside their school years and so go crazy with praise over any game that has a storytelling or artsy ambitions, regardless of its actual quality.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

It was a pretty short video for Anime Abandon and to be honest Suave is better in small doses

I wish Sage would review more bonkers hosed up anime or more arthouse/serious anime than bog standard hentai anime where he cant even show most of the scenes due to Youtube TOS

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

Trails in the sky has the slowest pacing of any game I have ever played

by a mile

The first one is basically a prologue.

It's weird but things pick up considerably in the second

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

Her Story's base story is pretty not good, but the way we get it is pretty awesome and new, and something that you could only do with video games, which is why everyone's so enamored of it. It's not the tale itself, but the way it's told.

Most reviewers praised the story as well as the game design. Brian Albert of IGN said it had "a strong script." Andy Kelly of PC Gamer said, "Her Story has all the drama and intrigue of the best TV crime shows." Just scanning the review summaries on metacritic and I see lines like "the immaculate writing of Sam Barlow." I feel like reviewers were so dazzled by a new thing that they ignored the game's inherent problems.

As far as the game itself goes, I feel like the gameplay was a novel approach using an old device (FMV), but it was undercut by a series of problems.

The framing device completely destroys any sense of suspense, player agency, or realism, because you're looking at interview footage from a closed case that was solved already years in the past. Why is the player looking at this case when it's already been solved? Why should the player be invested? Just to see what happened? What point is there to cutting up interview footage into mostly tiny pieces and then jumbling them up and only allowing you to look at the first five at a time? Why are the interviews themselves so casually done? Is she not a suspect in the case? Why does the interviewer have her play the guitar? Even worse, it had a complete garbage twist that Barlow already used in Shattered Memories, and to top it off the actress was pretty weak (yet somehow awarded for the role???) and plays the only character(s) you see.

And don't get me started on the ham-fisted symbolism of MIRRORS and TWINS and that hilariously bad song she sings that basically said I DID IT IT WAS MEEEE.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If people thought it was going to have realism or player agency then they deserve what they got.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

If people thought it was going to have realism or player agency then they deserve what they got.

When a narrative is framed a certain way, and you expect it to play out in that fashion, you deserve to be disappointed when it isn't? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Y'all talking about Boondock Saints need to see Overnight like, now. One of my favourite ever documentaries.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kim Justice posted:

Y'all talking about Boondock Saints need to see Overnight like, now. One of my favourite ever documentaries.

I'll second this: no matter how you feel about BS, Overnight is 100% entertaining and a little bit educational as well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

It was a pretty short video for Anime Abandon and to be honest Suave is better in small doses

I wish Sage would review more bonkers hosed up anime or more arthouse/serious anime than bog standard hentai anime where he cant even show most of the scenes due to Youtube TOS

He's honestly running out of the batshit insane anime that were prevalent during the OVA boom. I would however like to see some series retrospectives like what he's currently doing with Bubblegum Crisis.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The 90s are a weird time where a lot of trash got made except unlike the 80s, history hasn't whittled down the nostalgia memories to only the good movies. (I still enjoy boondock saints, though. It's not a good movie but there are parts in it that have some merit, Dafoe's performance being one of them)

This is one of the reasons I really love We Hate Movies. They dig into the 90s and 2000s tras that was made. Big budget and indy. It's amazing how many people wanted to be either Tarientino or Kevin Smith. Or even worse, thought they could do what they did better.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TheMaestroso posted:

As far as the game itself goes, I feel like the gameplay was a novel approach using an old device (FMV), but it was undercut by a series of problems.

The framing device completely destroys any sense of suspense, player agency, or realism, because you're looking at interview footage from a closed case that was solved already years in the past. Why is the player looking at this case when it's already been solved? Why should the player be invested? Just to see what happened? What point is there to cutting up interview footage into mostly tiny pieces and then jumbling them up and only allowing you to look at the first five at a time? Why are the interviews themselves so casually done? Is she not a suspect in the case? Why does the interviewer have her play the guitar? Even worse, it had a complete garbage twist that Barlow already used in Shattered Memories, and to top it off the actress was pretty weak (yet somehow awarded for the role???) and plays the only character(s) you see.

And don't get me started on the ham-fisted symbolism of MIRRORS and TWINS and that hilariously bad song she sings that basically said I DID IT IT WAS MEEEE.

Seriously, Sam Barlow is a hack and Her Story suuuuuuuucked, I'm baffled that "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER FMV CLIPS IN GAMES?" and super dull acting was apparently enough to garner awards that year.

Also big laughs that anyone could take that game seriously when the ending is straight up Sam Barlow in the game going "DO YOU GEEEEET IIIIIT PLAYER?"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Seriously, Sam Barlow is a hack and Her Story suuuuuuuucked, I'm baffled that "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER FMV CLIPS IN GAMES?" and super dull acting was apparently enough to garner awards that year.

Also big laughs that anyone could take that game seriously when the ending is straight up Sam Barlow in the game going "DO YOU GEEEEET IIIIIT PLAYER?"

Yeah, that was the poo poo cherry on the loving top. I was in awe of how back-pattingly bullshit that was.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

The framing device completely destroys any sense of suspense, player agency, or realism, because you're looking at interview footage from a closed case that was solved already years in the past. Why is the player looking at this case when it's already been solved? Why should the player be invested? Just to see what happened?

Er... yes? If you're not interested in the story what happened I do not understand why you are playing the game "Her Story" in the first place.

quote:

Why are the interviews themselves so casually done? Is she not a suspect in the case? Why does the interviewer have her play the guitar?

It's not uncommon for a police interviewer to try to build a rapport with the subject in order to get better information.

I mean obviously it's not the game for you, but it's not exactly a bad game for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yardbomb posted:

excuse me but contradiction: spot the liar was awesome as gently caress and i am all for more fmv games like that one :colbert:

• Locked thread