Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DancingShade posted:

If the single player thread wasn't dead I'd post this there, but ehhhh

https://www.masseffect.com/trial

Open ended availability of the free trial. Makes sense - sales must be pretty much zero so with nothing to lose why not try?

Not even 6 months old and nearly giving it away :allears:

It was $20 at Gamestop recently. I don't know if that's still the case, but it's a crazy low price for a AAA title that came out half a year ago.

On a different note, my mulitplayer load screen times on the XBone are outrageous and that's just for loading multiplayer and exiting missions. Is that the normal?

Also, any rec's for newbie multiplayers, like common mistakes you all see? I played ME3 mulitplayer so I know enough to try to stick with a buddy and that you can't help your team if you're dead. I appreciate the OP pointing out that I should just buy cheap packs early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tadashi posted:

It was $20 at Gamestop recently. I don't know if that's still the case, but it's a crazy low price for a AAA title that came out half a year ago.

On a different note, my mulitplayer load screen times on the XBone are outrageous and that's just for loading multiplayer and exiting missions. Is that the normal?

Also, any rec's for newbie multiplayers, like common mistakes you all see? I played ME3 mulitplayer so I know enough to try to stick with a buddy and that you can't help your team if you're dead. I appreciate the OP pointing out that I should just buy cheap packs early on.

I still play on xbone from time to time. Gt is Two Finger. Add me!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

tadashi posted:

$20 at Gamestop? People have been posting pictures of Target dumping their whole inventory of ME:A PS4/XBone copies off at Goodwill.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Claymore Multiplayer: RIP Mass Effect 2007-2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

tadashi posted:

A big one I see is pubs ignoring objective waves.
Please dont do that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If you run toward an upload objective you are now responsible for all three nodes good luck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Error 404 posted:

A big one I see is pubs ignoring objective waves.
Please dont do that.

The other night I had pubs ignore the second objective wave on Platinum. :negative:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

moist turtleneck posted:

If you run toward an upload objective you are now responsible for all three nodes good luck

This too.
The best strategy for uploads is to have three of you as far as possible away drawing the spawns while one person caps the points and picks off stragglers.

Fyi this never actually happens unless you just play with friends who know what they're doing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Error 404 posted:

This too.
The best strategy for uploads is to have three of you as far as possible away drawing the spawns while one person caps the points and picks off stragglers.

Fyi this never actually happens unless you just play with friends who know what they're doing

Actually it happens fairly often with pubs since they're off doing their own thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Upload with pubs usually goes quite well or horribly wrong, there is no middle ground. I think two teams of two is a good way to do it; you knock out two upload points very fast that way and the final one should be NBD unless you're on Platinum and there's a Progenitor and a Blaze Hydra chilling on top of it

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Two Finger posted:

Actually it happens fairly often with pubs since they're off doing their own thing

I guess I need a better class of pubbie.

The other day I had a retrieval objective, and some dipshit picks up the first one and then crawls all over the map fighting mobs until the timer ran out and we failed.

It was frustrating but also hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Have they toned Retrieval down? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it once since the Batarian update.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

precision posted:

Have they toned Retrieval down? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it once since the Batarian update.

I think thats just RNG tbh, ive had it a bunch, but I havent felt its been more or less than before.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BexGu posted:

$20 at Gamestop? People have been posting pictures of Target dumping their whole inventory of ME:A PS4/XBone copies off at Goodwill.

The official used video game spot price tracker (aka eBay) is trending $25-$30 for good copies, so it hasn't quite reached junk status.

I went for the Gamestop sale and am very happy with it at that price. Biggest negative for me... who at Bioware woke up one day and said to himself, "hey... you know what fans of the Mass Effect series probably want? Platforming!!"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Airfoil posted:

The official used video game spot price tracker (aka eBay) is trending $25-$30 for good copies, so it hasn't quite reached junk status.

I went for the Gamestop sale and am very happy with it at that price. Biggest negative for me... who at Bioware woke up one day and said to himself, "hey... you know what fans of the Mass Effect series probably want? Platforming!!"

I could whine for half a page here but it's nothing you all haven't already seen and doesn't apply to mulitplayer. At least the multiplayer feels fine from a first experience. The worst thing is feeling like I know where the resupply spots are and then realizing some of the locations in the firebases just look like others.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/S9IMMdI.gifv

Sparky sparks!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tadashi posted:

I could whine for half a page here but it's nothing you all haven't already seen and doesn't apply to mulitplayer. At least the multiplayer feels fine from a first experience. The worst thing is feeling like I know where the resupply spots are and then realizing some of the locations in the firebases just look like others.

I dunno... when I first started playing the multiplayer, it just felt off somehow. And that's been my whole experience with Andromeda. It's just... off. They tried but had no idea what they were doing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The MP devs seriously thought shotguns are weapons traditionally used from cover

Just keep that in mind when you're wondering how they could have possibly thought _____ was a good idea

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Digirat posted:

The MP devs seriously thought shotguns are weapons traditionally used from cover

Just keep that in mind when you're wondering how they could have possibly thought _____ was a good idea

Maybe they only ever played ME2 with the Geth Plasma Shotgun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't believe they just totally scrapped heavy melee and cover grabs, like how does a game actually regress in its combat options.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I will say shifting sprint to the left thumbstick instead of being on the action button was loving inspired.
And that's about the only thing they got right with the controls - it's embarrassingly bad in single player. I changed to one of the other control schemes to discover that the vertical jump button for the nomad is still the same as the extract to tempest button. It's just lazy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well the controls are miles better than ME3's on PC which is a pretty big improvement, since they were one of the biggest things dragging ME3 down. They just screwed up a lot of other poo poo--too many of andromeda's issues are either copied straight out of ME3 or made even worse, regardless of how loving obvious "don't do sync kills again" should have been

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I can't believe they just totally scrapped heavy melee and cover grabs, like how does a game actually regress in its combat options.

I'm glad that's an actual thing and not just me not being able to figure out the controls.

Digirat posted:

Yeah, on the one hand, in ME3 the infiltrator was pretty clearly a sniping class. Sniping classses use sniper rifles. On the other hand, I can see that some dev went off the rails and was thinking the infiltrator was like a rogue class (hence the incredible builds in ME3 with shotguns). Rogue classes use stealth to get behind other people's defenses and rip them a new one. So it only makes sense from a twisted logic.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 21, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Two Finger posted:

I dunno... when I first started playing the multiplayer, it just felt off somehow. And that's been my whole experience with Andromeda. It's just... off. They tried but had no idea what they were doing.

everything feels weightless

like OK, compare the sound and motion of a krogan melee in ME3 to ME:A

the first one has this big satisfying CRUNCH and your krogan looks like he's rearing back for the biggest punch/headbutt of his life, it usually does a lot of damage and sometimes sends enemies flying

In ME:A it's a very small sound and the animation isn't nearly as satisfying and it doesn't seem to do very much damage at all!

West007
Apr 21, 2013

So I got a Hurricane and Inferno from this weeks challenge reward. I assume these are better than common weapons at X and equalizer at II.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

West007 posted:

So I got a Hurricane and Inferno from this weeks challenge reward. I assume these are better than common weapons at X and equalizer at II.

Hurricane is good as hell. Its an across the board upgrade to any other smg at I and gets better from there. I'm poo poo for sniping and never use SRs so I cant speak to how good inferno may be.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tadashi posted:

Yeah, on the one hand, in ME3 the infiltrator was pretty clearly a sniping class. Sniping classses use sniper rifles. On the other hand, I can see that some dev went off the rails and was thinking the infiltrator was like a rogue class (hence the incredible builds in ME3 with shotguns). Rogue classes use stealth to get behind other people's defenses and rip them a new one. So it only makes sense from a twisted logic.

Or speccing for melee and being a ninja as some Infiltrators. Literally, in the Shadow's case.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Hurricane is good as hell. Its an across the board upgrade to any other smg at I and gets better from there. I'm poo poo for sniping and never use SRs so I cant speak to how good inferno may be.

Across the board? I don't have a Hurricane, but what I've been told is that it's a fantastic gun with one weakness - lovely clip size. Of course the people who said that still use it all the time, so yeah.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BreakAtmo posted:

Across the board? I don't have a Hurricane, but what I've been told is that it's a fantastic gun with one weakness - lovely clip size. Of course the people who said that still use it all the time, so yeah.

Thats fair, I usually slap a clip mod and a barrel on mine and havent noticed any more or less problem with running out of ammo than with most other guns.

E: ok also have some goddamn firing discipline and burst fire that mofo instead of going full rocknroll. But that advice applies to pretty much every full auto gun in the game :v:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 22, 2017

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Thats fair, I usually slap a clip mod and a barrel on mine and havent noticed any more or less problem with running out of ammo than with most other guns.

That might be it - I was lead to believe that the extended clip is pretty much a requirement on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually prefer the Charger S to the Hurricane.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

That might be it - I was lead to believe that the extended clip is pretty much a requirement on it.

Pretty much. I think it's a 40 round clip by default but the rate of fire is so high you'll burn through that in no time. Use the drat thing. It was a strong candidate for best gun in ME3, and it's looking the same here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do the S weapons also have variants? I swear if I see "Charger S [Siphon] X" on some random pubbie I'm done. That would functionally be a rank 30 Charger with lifedrain. You probably couldn't die on Gold.

The weekend reward pack gave me my fourth Krogan Gladiator card. I still don't have Duelist or Operator. I hate the RNG so bad. I also bought two Reserve packs and still no Bat Man.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The RNG actually worked in my favour for once. I bought that super deluxe edition on preorder because I'm dumb, but it just gave me the Batman.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

It's not the clip size that's the problem it's the max ammo supply. You put on a mag increase mod without a ammo capacity increase and you'll tear through all your ammo in seconds. I usually run the hurricane with no clip size mod and a thermal clip capacity boost.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

precision posted:

Do the S weapons also have variants? I swear if I see "Charger S [Siphon] X" on some random pubbie I'm done. That would functionally be a rank 30 Charger with lifedrain. You probably couldn't die on Gold.

The weekend reward pack gave me my fourth Krogan Gladiator card. I still don't have Duelist or Operator. I hate the RNG so bad. I also bought two Reserve packs and still no Bat Man.

I'd still be a rank 20 charger with lifedrain I think. The variant ranks don't increase the base stats, just the variant proc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

I'd still be a rank 20 charger with lifedrain I think. The variant ranks don't increase the base stats, just the variant proc.

Oh, that kinda sucks. Since Variant I has the same stats as Base Weapon X I just assumed. Also, what about Concussive? Near as I can tell with my Concussive Zalkin, every time I kill something with a headshot it makes a little boom?

Gosh this game is so well documented :downs:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, PSA for anyone else as dumb/unobservant as me:

Your weapon crosshair shows your skill cooldowns. You literally never have to look away from the action. Jesus, how many times this would have saved my rear end :negative:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Snap freeze is pretty legit for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Two Finger posted:

Snap freeze is pretty legit for what it's worth.

Seeing it in action it seems like its just Flamethrower but cold?

• Locked thread