Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

elise the great posted:

the intestines are nestled throughout and thoroughly connected to an entire lymphatic/circulatory/connective organ called the omentum and cannot be unspooled like a dropped ball of yarn

Are you trying to tell me that kung fu movies have been loving lying to me all these years?

What a betrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wow, I thought that was a huge, meaty cock at first.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

lots of folks posted:

Ol' Chucky got 'im!

A fiction author wrote fiction? You don't say!

I'm not directing this at elise or anyone, because I actually enjoy learning why the story is BS and prompting reading about the vagal nerves, but Chuck is a shock author. I get that most people just know Fight Club as a film, but the guy's other works have really just been weird tales, like a clinically depressed and trying-to-be-offbeat version of Chuck Tingle. Maybe calling yourself Chuck is the common thread there. Beats me. Point is, most authors are trying to create environments and actions that seem plausible and real to you, regardless of how they intersect with reality. No one thinks a Star Wars novel is real, or that Da Vinci really left clues about how Jesus had siblings, right? Chuck uses the banal and straightforward tone to help lull the reader into a sense that the story is true, when it's just as fictitious as Tyler Durden.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Feeple posted:

No one thinks . . . that Da Vinci really left clues about how Jesus had siblings, right?

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's not the story being fictitious I find stupid, it's his stories about peoples reaction to the fictitious story that I find stupid.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Wasn't one of now disgraced John Edwards's biggest cases that put him on the national stage that poorly manufactured pool drain cover that disemboweled like.....15(?) kids or something? I always figured that was the reference.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Joey Freshwater posted:

It happened one time at a reading, probably from something unrelated to the book, and the lore grew from there.

I like his books but I can't imagine anyone legitimately passing out from reading them.

A friend of mine passed out in school during a first aid class. No pictures, just the teacher talking about a bleeding wound. I have no problem believing people would faint during a reading of Guts if they weren't prepared for it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I haven't used appshopper much since the app got pulled. Just noticed the appshopper social app, is there much point to that?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

stone cold posted:

Wasn't one of now disgraced John Edwards's biggest cases that put him on the national stage that poorly manufactured pool drain cover that disemboweled like.....15(?) kids or something? I always figured that was the reference.

Pumps are strong as gently caress (hundreds of pounds of force in a tiny little hole. Heh.)so you need anti-suction drains and automatic vacuum release systems for drains.

They have been known to "eviscerate" people. Maybe Elise can elaborate but they concentrate hundreds of pounds of suction on an 1.5" to 2" patch of skin.

You can get your arm stuck in a skimmer or stuck on the bottom of a pool without either if they're pulling from one location.

Obviously commercial are stronger but your standard in ground residential pool (IIRC) with one of the most common pumps generates like 200-250 lbs of suction.

Gumbel2Gumbel has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Jul 20, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Delta P Crab!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHwri8TtNE

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Analogous shark :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh6aQ51b_ZQ

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Feeple posted:

A fiction author wrote fiction? You don't say!

I'm not directing this at elise or anyone, because I actually enjoy learning why the story is BS and prompting reading about the vagal nerves, but Chuck is a shock author. I get that most people just know Fight Club as a film, but the guy's other works have really just been weird tales, like a clinically depressed and trying-to-be-offbeat version of Chuck Tingle. Maybe calling yourself Chuck is the common thread there. Beats me. Point is, most authors are trying to create environments and actions that seem plausible and real to you, regardless of how they intersect with reality. No one thinks a Star Wars novel is real, or that Da Vinci really left clues about how Jesus had siblings, right? Chuck uses the banal and straightforward tone to help lull the reader into a sense that the story is true, when it's just as fictitious as Tyler Durden.

Its not a case of people mistaking a fiction story as nonfiction. Its a case of Chuck, in multiple places, like in interviews and his blog, saying that the stories were true stories he polished for Guts. Unless we're to assume that a fiction writer is always lying.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
No, he was saying the stories were based on anecdotes other people have told him.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HenryEx posted:

No, he was saying the stories were based on anecdotes other people have told him.

Yes, stories from other people that he insisted were true. Multiple times. In the same paragraph, even.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
See, if it were a story about someone who ripped their flesh trying to get away from a pool drain pump-- even their anal flesh-- I'd buy it absolutely. It's the involvement of abdominal organs and the pregnant sister that make it unbelievable.

And let me tell you, I will believe a gently caress of a lot from a story of gross underpants injury. My "lol nah" radar is a little broken from my line of work. I have personally cared for the mutilated penis of a man who methed up and attempted a home circumcision. I have watched a demented woman jam a spoon into her rear end in a top hat to scrape out the poo poo. I've had my arm up a woman's butt so deep I went around the corner. There ain't much in the world that hasn't happened to an rear end.

But, you know, Guts is effective. It hits that vagal response well. It's vivid, it's succinct, it's a flight of fantasy with its toes still touching the ground. It's good--if only he weren't trying to pass it as fact.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

elise the great posted:

See, if it were a story about someone who ripped their flesh trying to get away from a pool drain pump-- even their anal flesh-- I'd buy it absolutely. It's the involvement of abdominal organs and the pregnant sister that make it unbelievable.

And let me tell you, I will believe a gently caress of a lot from a story of gross underpants injury. My "lol nah" radar is a little broken from my line of work. I have personally cared for the mutilated penis of a man who methed up and attempted a home circumcision. I have watched a demented woman jam a spoon into her rear end in a top hat to scrape out the poo poo. I've had my arm up a woman's butt so deep I went around the corner. There ain't much in the world that hasn't happened to an rear end.

But, you know, Guts is effective. It hits that vagal response well. It's vivid, it's succinct, it's a flight of fantasy with its toes still touching the ground. It's good--if only he weren't trying to pass it as fact.

http://www.jems.com/articles/2007/07/pool-drain-eviscerates-6-year.html

There are a bunch of journal articles about eviscerations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
...well, holy poo poo, looks like EVERYTHING can happen to an rear end.

I still don't buy his sister getting pregnant, dangit

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Never underestimate the ability of humans to deglove their bodies through their anus.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

elise the great posted:

I still don't buy his sister getting pregnant, dangit

Because it can't happen.

elise the great posted:

also "this sounds like an elaborate excuse by a kid who stuck something up his butt and perfed his sigmoid colon and also molested his little sister repeatedly until she got pregnant and tried to claim she must have encountered his jizz in the swimming pool."

I'm betting that its this. Either that or Chuck made it up himself.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

elise the great posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNd02YLcqA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DandyLion posted:

Never underestimate the ability of humans to deglove their bodies through their anus.

ahem evisceration is literally the opposite of degloving

Ima Giraffe
Apr 30, 2009

Pucker Up!
Enough derail. I came for fake dongs and I will be satisfied!

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Guts is gross but not in the same ballpark as DF Wallace's homeless newborn from Infinite Jest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont like that one bit

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Powaqoatse posted:

i dont like that one bit

i pine for it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Voxx posted:

i pine for it

It looks pretty seedy tbqh

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
NICE NUTS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Christ, it's like someone heard what a cat's penis is like and inverted it while adding more spikes.

What I'm trying to say here is, someone has definitely stuck something like that inside them to terrible effect.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
warning choking hazard

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

U/P combo

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Handegg is real :stare:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somewhat in keeping with the theme

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

somewhat in keeping with the theme

The corner they forgot to photoshop kind of ruins it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lurking Haro posted:

The corner they forgot to photoshop kind of ruins it.

And the second "D" doesn't quite match the first one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

KC Green has fundamentally altered the nature of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

How can this be real

• Locked thread