Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thematically, what happens when you Find Steed and a party member hooks up your celestial steed to a wagon and you forget about him for two months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Tasha's Somewhat Inconvenient Taxi Service

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Krinkle posted:

Thematically, what happens when you Find Steed and a party member hooks up your celestial steed to a wagon and you forget about him for two months?

Like have you been taking the wagon the whole time or just left it outside a dungeon somewhere?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

mango sentinel posted:

Like have you been taking the wagon the whole time or just left it outside a dungeon somewhere?

Friendo's wagon took the celestial donkey and I haven't seen it in a while. Every now and then I ask "is that donkey within a mile of me?" and hear yeah and I'm like "is it okay?" yeah.

I mean if god gave me a steed for my personal use and someone borrows it for an extended period of time to pull a cart I feel like this might be a sacrilege of some kind.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I wouldn't really care about the sacrilege, I'm more concerned about the fact the steed is extremely high animal intelligence and automatically has a strong bond with its creator. That donkey is very, very sad and lonely right now.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm offended on your behalf that your sacred warsteed bestowed upon you by your god was a fuckin donkey.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krinkle posted:

Makes about 12gp as an Uber driver, but needs all new wheels and axles.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm offended on your behalf that your sacred warsteed bestowed upon you by your god was a fuckin donkey.

gently caress you, the donkey is a noble steed.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

My Redemption paladin is a filthy hippie so the donkey was the most jesus like steed possible, it was decided.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 21, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
No one ever watched a donkey die of a heart attack from seeing it's own shadow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah but what if he eats figs at you?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No problem there as long as the player is skilled enough to remember not to mention wine.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Donkeys own, you nerd.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Donkeys are just breeding stock to produce the superior mule.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I always knew this was an rear end of a thread

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just checking in - is 5th edition still bad?

I was reading a Polygon article about people playing online (https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/20/16005982/dungeons-and-dragons-online-roll20-data) and I was wondering if fifth edition was finally good or if people are just wrong (or perhaps caught up in zeitgeist from Critical Role or something).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

For me it was adventure zone to d&d to critical role but yeah it's bad but welcoming so in conclusion, 5e is a land of contrasts.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah. Was thinking of diving back in and I have a bunch of 4e materials still so was trying to figure out whether or not to just stick with 4e or dip my toe in 5e.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

From an outside clinical objective standpoint: it's pretty bad.

From the inside and just comparing it to other d&d's, pathfinder, 13th age etc.: it's pretty good.

It's cleaner to play than 4e, doesn't have a lot of the cruft of 3.5 and pathfinder. It's still got major power differentials between different classes and between builds. It's still got poorly worded stuff that's kind of clarified in the errata except that just opens more questions. It's still D&D.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I was reading a Polygon article about people playing online (https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/20/16005982/dungeons-and-dragons-online-roll20-data) and I was wondering if fifth edition was finally good or if people are just wrong (or perhaps caught up in zeitgeist from Critical Role or something).

5e has not significantly changed since release.

It is, however, extremely popular outside of this thread and considered by many people to be the best edition of dnd.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

How is combat speed? I love the gently caress out of 4e, but sometimes it's just loving draining how slow combat can move.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mordiceius posted:

It's Fine.

Mordiceius posted:

How is combat speed? I love the gently caress out of 4e, but sometimes it's just loving draining how slow combat can move.

Significantly less complex and faster, but not super speedy.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 21, 2017

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

AlphaDog posted:

"The rules to this game don't really give you anything to spend your money on".

"You can easily just make something up to spend money on".

"Yeah, but in the rulebooks there's nothing much to spend money on".

"Look through all Dragon magazines and the 2nd ed castle guide and...."

"My point was that in this game that I bought there's really nothing to spend your money on".

"Yes there is, just make up some rules for starting a merchant empire and use those"

Repeat.

The Oberoni Fallacy still lives on!

Mordiceius posted:

While what earlier posters say is true, about it being easier for newcomers to dive into and has less rules bloat, there's still some problems with it.

One of the larger things I'll recommend is that the current Challenge Rating rules are feelz over realz. The ideal is a single monster of CR X will be an easy challenge for a party of four level X PCs. But there's literally no mention of adjusting encounters for multiple monsters, or having ones of variant CRs (boss monster and minions). Also, monster HP is very inflated. When even CR 3 monsters are averaging around 60 to 90 HP and your best damage source is a likely 4d6 spell and "at-will" basic attacks may be 2d6 plus Strength mod at most, combats will take very long unless you lower HP for enemies across the board. Also this is a good link/rules solution for this:

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Faster than 4e, due to simplified numbers and offering fewer choices and fewer tactical decisions for players to make in combat.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Libertad! posted:

The Oberoni Fallacy still lives on!

While what earlier posters say is true, about it being easier for newcomers to dive into and has less rules bloat, there's still some problems with it.

One of the larger things I'll recommend is that the current Challenge Rating rules are feelz over realz. The ideal is a single monster of CR X will be an easy challenge for a party of four level X PCs. But there's literally no mention of adjusting encounters for multiple monsters, or having ones of variant CRs (boss monster and minions). Also, monster HP is very inflated. When even CR 3 monsters are averaging around 60 to 90 HP and your best damage source is a likely 4d6 spell and "at-will" basic attacks may be 2d6 plus Strength mod at most, combats will take very long unless you lower HP for enemies across the board. Also this is a good link/rules solution for this:

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

There absolutely are rules for adjusting encounters for multiple monsters of various CRs. It's in the encounter building section of DMG, exactly where you would expect them to be.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

esquilax posted:

There absolutely are rules for adjusting encounters for multiple monsters of various CRs. It's in the encounter building section of DMG, exactly where you would expect them to be.

Shows what I know. I expected all the CR relevant stuff would be in the Monster Manual. Cuz you know, monsters.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't think anyone can really be blamed for not reading 5e's encounter building rules too closely.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Scyther posted:

I don't think anyone can really be blamed for not reading 5e's encounter building rules too closely.

They seem to work fine though. Don't think they need to be house ruled away unless the party is significantly over- or under-powered.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like 5e but the encounter math super does not work. Like, even among some of the most 5e friendly pundits they'll argue the CR and encounter design calculations are the most flawed part of the rules.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Some of the monsters have the wrong CR, yeah, but that's kind of separate from the encounter building rules themselves.

What's a realistic scenario using the stock encounter rules and "accurately priced" CR monsters that would be unbalanced?

Edit bc did not deserve a new post:

Libertad! posted:

Shows what I know. I expected all the CR relevant stuff would be in the Monster Manual. Cuz you know, monsters.
The section of the monster manual where you got the "4 PCs vs CR X" rule of thumb points you to the DMG for the specific encounter building rules.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 21, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So I saw something about a new digital product coming out? Is it basically a new character builder or something?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

5th is pretty badly designed and regressive, but like most tabletop stuff you can make it work by way of the group element; Poorly made ruleset you can have good experiences with. Combat is definitely "streamlined" in that it will put you to sleep if your DM doesn't really make a strong effort to put forth interesting scenarios.

Furthermore, I don't know what your particular situation is but I do think a silver lining of the edition is that it is an ok jumping off point to get extremely new players comfortable with broad concepts of tabletop RPGs. Things like the basic flow of exploration, social encounters, combat/initiative scenarios, stuff like that.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 21, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Where does one go from here? If this is my gateway drug, what's my freebase next logical step?

I saw some larping history guy on youtube say that Hill Folk was the new hotness, a perfect role playing system. And then I saw him do an hour and change video on why titties exist so I would like a second opinion.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 21, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Krinkle posted:

Where does one go from here? If this is my gateway drug, what's my freebase next logical step?

Really depends on what you like about playing 5e.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

mango sentinel posted:

Really depends on what you like about playing 5e.

Dungeon World is pretty fantastic if you want to get away from rules and math, and have creative players. It asks for some collaborative storytelling from the group. It's great when it works but it's definitely lacking the tactical side.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
5e is absolutely bad, Meals is just happily taking in working on D&D during - and it was by no means actually planned or created by WotC - an outright PR blitz by others, now that patreon and streaming are far more ubiquitous. It's easier then every to Have Fun Playing Games with friends, and since D&D is the one everyone sorta ends up gravitating to, nerd circles are now filled with folks playing D&D with their friends and showing everyone else that it's fun to Be With Friends.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you want more crunch without D&D baggage, Strike! seems popular. The thread is active, as the author is a goon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordiceius posted:

So I saw something about a new digital product coming out? Is it basically a new character builder or something?

We have some of them right now. https://www.dndbeyond.com/

Appearntly in August for a subscription you get all the core books on it, then can buy the adventures and other supplements digitally on it.

Also the game is fine. It's not revolutionary or anything but it's a solid system.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 21, 2017

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

5E is a perfectly good version of D&D. It's just that D&D has pretty much always been an incoherent mess of a system except for 4E which was coherent, but not D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Krinkle posted:

:allears: Soon enough you'll be injecting Eclipse Phase directly into the tip of your pleasure pod.