Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heathen posted:

You are crazy. The Funny Panels thread brought it up yesterday when talking about Ultimates 2 #9. This is the Badass Panels thread following up a Scott vs Alex from the X-Tinction Agenda post from two weeks ago.

This is not my beautiful house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

When you're inside it it's equal pressure on all sides and America Chavez is among other things "a good egg."

Out.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Skwirl posted:

When you're inside it it's equal pressure on all sides and America Chavez is among other things "a good egg."

It's just a big hard hug

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heathen posted:

You are crazy. The Funny Panels thread brought it up yesterday when talking about Ultimates 2 #9. This is the Badass Panels thread following up a Scott vs Alex from the X-Tinction Agenda post from two weeks ago.

Is this a forums-mandated crossover that will be including every other thread, or something that just happened organically?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

I think the Cassidys are all immune to each other.

I can't think of many other mutant families that have powers that would really work that way. It's not like Quicksilver would slow down from touching Scarlet Witch or something.

It is a really obscure part of mutant lore (one often forgotten.) But it has come up.

During Generation X, Emma Frosts human sister showed up. And Emma couldn't read her mind as she was immune on account of being brother and sister.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yo, just checking, Logan and X-23 can stab each other just fine, right?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Vanadium posted:

Yo, just checking, Logan and X-23 can stab each other just fine, right?

not really their healing factors cancel out the stabs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And Magic teleports Colossus around just fine. Its a conceit that comes up when needed and ignored if it's inconvenient.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Question IRL posted:

It is a really obscure part of mutant lore (one often forgotten.) But it has come up.

During Generation X, Emma Frosts human sister showed up. And Emma couldn't read her mind as she was immune on account of being brother and sister.

Uh...

Tertiary Mutation?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I'm not up to date at all on X-lore but I do have a weird couple of questions?

I remember back in the 90's an arc of Amazing Spider-Man (or maybe Marvel Tales ft. Spider-Man, whatever) guest starring Beast, because Pete and MJ were concerned about having children and if they'd be a mutant (on account of Pete's power's and all).

So - is that how it works? And is Annie May in Renew Your Vows a mutant? And what about two mutants having a child (I know, I know, there's a bunch of Summer's kids out there...) are they automatically mutants? Are they super mutants? Do the powers get passed on like other genetic traits (hair color, eye color, eye-punch-lasers)?

Man comics are dumb for making think dumb things...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ferrule posted:

I'm not up to date at all on X-lore but I do have a weird couple of questions?

I remember back in the 90's an arc of Amazing Spider-Man (or maybe Marvel Tales ft. Spider-Man, whatever) guest starring Beast, because Pete and MJ were concerned about having children and if they'd be a mutant (on account of Pete's power's and all).

So - is that how it works? And is Annie May in Renew Your Vows a mutant? And what about two mutants having a child (I know, I know, there's a bunch of Summer's kids out there...) are they automatically mutants? Are they super mutants? Do the powers get passed on like other genetic traits (hair color, eye color, eye-punch-lasers)?

So being a mutant is a thing. It's not an automatic thing but generally a superhuman or a mutant is far more likely to have a mutant child.
(Reed Richards and Sue Storm are both not mutants. But Franklin is. I'm not sure if they have decided if Valerie is or not.)
But it's not a garunteed thing.
Sabertooth and Mystique had a kid together who was a human politician, Grandoyn Creed.

And Quicksilver (was a mutant. Then he wasn't. Not sure what he is now.) and Crystal (an Inhuman.) Had Luna together.
And for the longest time Luna was just human. But her dad loved her anyway.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's a set in stone rule that mutants have mutant babies, but it makes sense that people with superpowers (and 9 times out of 10 messed up DNA) might have kids with superpowers. And I know Franklin Richards is a mutant so I don't know why Annie wouldn't be.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TwoPair posted:

And I know Franklin Richards is a mutant so I don't know why Annie wouldn't be.

She got all of the inferior, recessive genes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I mean in theory you are only a mutant if you have the X-gene, so if you are born with superpowers but without the X-gene because, I dunno, you're half skrull or something you're not actually a mutant. I think that one of the original defining traits of mutants is that their powers would onset more or less with puberty, and would otherwise be normal kids and not necessarily exposed to any triggering event/device. But that isn't really a rule because many mutants (especially ones with physical manifestations, like Nightcrawler) were not normal at birth, and others have had their powers develop earlier than puberty (like Franklin).

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I kinda forgot about Franklin there for a minute.

I remember all the "powers develop at puberty" thing. Maybe I didn't know about an X-gene. Is that fairly recent? I guess that's what the Terrigen mists are attacking?

Appreciate the other input, like Sabertooth/Mystique's kid.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Ferrule posted:

I kinda forgot about Franklin there for a minute.

I remember all the "powers develop at puberty" thing. Maybe I didn't know about an X-gene. Is that fairly recent? I guess that's what the Terrigen mists are attacking?

Appreciate the other input, like Sabertooth/Mystique's kid.

Does anyone besides Peter David push the killcrop thing or is that 100% forgotten by this point?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Have Sentinels ever attacked the Baxter building, and was it badass?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

goatface posted:

Sentinels are dumb but they’re not that dumb.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sentinels are not programmed to discover clobberin' time.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

goatface posted:

I seem to remember something along these lines happening in one of the 90's "What If" books. My murky memory of those stories tends to classify most of them on the badass side. There were lots of rather cool premises like "What if Magneto had taken over the USA", "What if Venom possessed the Punisher", and of course the infamous "What if Wolverine was Lord of the Vampires During Inferno". During said infamous issue I believe Wolverine eats a baby. For real.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DoktorVerderben posted:

I seem to remember something along these lines happening in one of the 90's "What If" books. My murky memory of those stories tends to classify most of them on the badass side. There were lots of rather cool premises like "What if Magneto had taken over the USA", "What if Venom possessed the Punisher", and of course the infamous "What if Wolverine was Lord of the Vampires During Inferno". During said infamous issue I believe Wolverine eats a baby. For real.

The only What If I remember owning was if Sabretooth had escaped captivity when he was briefly a prisoner at the mansion. He ends up killing most of the X-Men and chasing Jubilee through the mansion. She eventually traps him in the Danger Room and overrides the safety protocol which causes a bunch of laser beams to flay him alive or something gruesome.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pretty sure they didn't pick it up as a sub-lease...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What If... owns.

See also:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What If Punisher Killed Daredevil is my favorite. It wasn't my first comic, but it was my first What If, and one of the first comics I actually bought with my own money I earned doing chores and the very idea of it really expanded my whole understanding of what comics could do. I was so young I had not realized that in comics you actually could tell stories like that that didn't happen but could've. It became my favorite series for a good long while.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Sentinels are not programmed to discover clobberin' time.

Of the inhabitants of that building, I think Ben would probably be the least of their problems.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goatface posted:

Of the inhabitants of that building, I think Ben would probably be the least of their problems.

Maybe not.

But, then again...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Still my favorite use of the catchphrase. :black101:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Every time Ben Grimm gets a badass moment is the best time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Choco1980 posted:

Uhhh...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat secret wars and like almost every single side story was loving awesome.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat secret wars and like almost every single side story was loving awesome.

I LIKE THE PART WHERE MILES MORALES BRIBES THE POWER CONTROLLING THE MULTIVERSE WITH A WEEK-OLD HAMBURGER HE HAD STUFFED IN HIS POCKET.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Look you can’t pass up on a good NY burger so what if it’s technically 7 years and 8 days old.

gently caress it here’s some content. From #4

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 21, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look at these dumbass Kree Sentinels punching Ben instead of shrooming him

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

He's not a car.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Choco1980 posted:

There's a fun Thing-centric one-shot I can't remember the name of which had one of my faves:

"*looks at wrist as if it had a watch* gee, would you look at that, here we were gabbin' up a storm and it's already nearly CLOBBERIN' TIME!!"

e: "What if rogue stole the power of thor" actually intrigues me.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 22, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Push El Burrito posted:

He's not a car.

NSM thread appears to be leaking. Which is as it should be with all things pure and true.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

X-O posted:

What If Punisher Killed Daredevil is my favorite. It wasn't my first comic, but it was my first What If, and one of the first comics I actually bought with my own money I earned doing chores and the very idea of it really expanded my whole understanding of what comics could do. I was so young I had not realized that in comics you actually could tell stories like that that didn't happen but could've. It became my favorite series for a good long while.

Speaking of favorite What If issues involving Punisher that are also badass:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

haitfais posted:

I will never feel joy again, knowing we were deprived of this.

Alas, all that remains of the concept was this moment in another Godzilla film.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Speaking of favorite What If issues involving Punisher that are also badass:

God, I remember my first What-If. It was also a Venom one from 89. And it was bad rear end.

The whole premise is immediately after they're returned to earth from Battleworld. And things get delayed a little bit, so by the time they try to remove the symbiote, it's too entrenched in Peter. And it wants MORE POWER. Pete's life-force has been drained and appears 80 yrs old. He dies about a week later (the next page), but leaves import notes leading to Reed realizing Peter was a bona fide genius.

But if they couldn't make it leave, why DID it leave?

Uh oh. But that's just a stepping stone for the symbiote's actual target:

Well poo poo. Now EVERYONE is boned. But not to worry. Reed Richards wouldn't be Reed Richard without have a convenient Deus Ex Machina in his pocket:

Black Bolt uses Sonic-Boom. It's super effective!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Toshimo posted:

I LIKE THE PART WHERE MILES MORALES BRIBES THE POWER CONTROLLING THE MULTIVERSE WITH A WEEK-OLD HAMBURGER HE HAD STUFFED IN HIS POCKET.

The best part is that it wasn't a bribe. Owen was hungry and Miles provides a moldy burger. Doom treated Owen like a tool, Miles treated him like a person, and that changed everything. The Spider-Men are the ones that get through to Valeria and Owen while everyone else punches it out. Panther/Doom and Richards/Doom were amazing, but Peter and Miles practically sealed the deal without throwing a punch.