Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Animated optimal routes from San Francisco to ~2000 locations in the U.S.

Author twitter:
https://twitter.com/tjukanov

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

If we're still talking about this particular map it looks to me like the Focus of witch-hunting around the Basque region was quite far away from the areas of most concentrated Cathar activity during the 13th century, which was more around places like Toulouse and Albi around the Southern Pyrenees extended over to the Riviera. They even extended into Provence and Italy.

Though I wouldn't say I'm an expert on Southern European witch scares, I doubt there's a great connection between Catharism and with hunts. Especially by the 15th and 16th centuries it was pretty much entirely dead, while Protestantism was causing a lot more friction around Navarre, and if the idea that Witch hunting was a symptom of the Protestant borderlands has any value that would strike me as a better explanation for that Big Basque Blotch.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Count Roland posted:

Even though I speak some french, or maybe because of it, I don't want to visit France.

Italy would be bomb but that's a trip in itself. I just want a few places where I spend a night or two before flying out again.

I'll stay around northern/central/eastern Europe. So Holland, Germany, Czechia (do people really call it that?), Poland, Denmark, Slovakia, maybe Hungary, Slovenia. These sort of countries. I've already been to Austria so that isn't high on the list.

e: again, maps

What's this map?

quote:

Speaking of rural driving, and for map content, has anyone come across Drive the Silk Road?

I don't think I'll ever have $80K and three months to spend on a vacation--and if I did I would probably do something else with it--but that would certainly be an adventure.

And how did no one point out that China annexed Tajikistan?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Golbez posted:

What's this map?
I'm tempted to say something like the worth of each continent in Risk.

Golbez posted:

And how did no one point out that China annexed Tajikistan?

Also, the sea has annexed Kaliningrad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Possibly for the best.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Cat Mattress posted:

Also, the sea has annexed Kaliningrad.

Also Kashmir is independent

e: as is Hainan

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Roland posted:

e: again, maps

Europe looks almost exactly like the ocean to me on this map, except there's a 42 on it

A+ color choices

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Golbez posted:

What's this map?

Oops. Average age.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Wasn't the official stance of the Catholic church that magic doesn't exist since only through God can you perform miracles, and so accusing somebody of witchcraft actually put you in suspicion of heresy?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why so many Jesuits were interested in magnets.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 20, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

SaltyJesus posted:

Wasn't the official stance of the Catholic church that magic doesn't exist since only through God can you perform miracles, and so accusing somebody of witchcraft actually put you in suspicion of heresy?

I dunno

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preternatural

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There certainly was a lot of scholarly work to distinguish witchery from transubstantiation, which is only possible through divine miracle. E.g. it was argued that voluntary lycanthropy was achieved by means such as compressing the air around the witch to create an illusion of a form rather than by changing the substance of the apparently transformed being.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If witches could compress the air around them like that, why not put them to use as refrigerators or HVAC instead of killing them?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guavanaut posted:

If witches could compress the air around them like that, why not put them to use as refrigerators or HVAC instead of killing them?

Back then they thought temperature was caused by the imponderable phlogiston and didn't know about the ideal gas law.

Sad to say, they didn't have much of a scientific mind. For example, even though they knew that witches could float in water, just like wood, ducks, and very small rocks, none of them thought of the uses of witches as naval construction materials.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
One guy did suggest to make a bridge out of them, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cat Mattress posted:

Back then they thought temperature was caused by the imponderable phlogiston and didn't know about the ideal gas law.

Sad to say, they didn't have much of a scientific mind. For example, even though they knew that witches could float in water, just like wood, ducks, and very small rocks, none of them thought of the uses of witches as naval construction materials.
They knew all about demons though.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I'm a bit late but the Basque witch hunt as labeled on the map presumably comes from a single high intensity episode of about five years in the early seventeenth century in which there were thousands of accusations. As far as I know, the proximate cause were witchcraft trials in France (with less than a tenth the number of trials but almost ten times the number of executions) that caused a spill over effect and the usual disruption from migration when Basques crossed the border into Spain during that prosecution. It's also worth factoring in that the tribunal with jurisdiction wasn't in a Basque area.

Given the Inquisition's long standing reluctance to prosecute witchcraft, the thing was a fiasco as most of the Holy Office's tribunals were unwilling to even seriously investigate suspected witchcraft, all the pending cases (the vast majority) were dismissed, and subsequent restrictions made proving witchcraft more difficult.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

uhh the wine colored area includes Skopje and therefore is clearly the Macedonian Empire

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I get that this is a map of that area sometime in the 1200s(and i'm not familiar enough with the time to know when exactly) but why does it look like it was drawn in MS Paint by a 10 year old

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Elyv posted:

I get that this is a map of that area sometime in the 1200s(and i'm not familiar enough with the time to know when exactly) but why does it look like it was drawn in MS Paint by a 10 year old

I'm going to bet it was drawn in MS paint, but that instead of being done by a 10 year old, it was made when the World Wide Web was 10 years old. Every map was like this back in the Geocities days.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
armenia?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Koramei posted:

armenia?

Armenia's moved around a lot over the years.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

You had one job Crusaders...

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Left-handed vs Right-handed traffic

khwarezm posted:

You had one job Crusaders...

Laughing_Dandalo.jpg

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Reveilled posted:

I'm going to bet it was drawn in MS paint, but that instead of being done by a 10 year old, it was made when the World Wide Web was 10 years old. Every map was like this back in the Geocities days.

Description
English: The Partition of the Byzantine Empire after 1215
Français : L'empire byzantin après la quatrième croisade
Date 3 November 2007 (original upload date)
Source Transferred from en.wikipedia
Author Justinian43 at en.wikipedia

It's only a 10 year old map, well past the time doing it like that was acceptable.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Left-handed vs Right-handed traffic

It bothers me so much this isn't universal.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Count Roland posted:

I like how you can literally see the remnants of colonialism

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Count Roland posted:

It's basically a map where "blue" means "still being tricked by the British, regardless of if the British ever colonized there".

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

fishmech posted:

It's basically a map where "blue" means "still being tricked by the British, regardless of if the British ever colonized there".

Tbf Africa is pretty neatly divided by "was colonized by the British" vs "was colonized by the Continentals" with Mozambique and company being the odd one out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well, it was neatly divided after they finished drawing all those lines all over it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Tbf Africa is pretty neatly divided by "was colonized by the British" vs "was colonized by the Continentals" with Mozambique and company being the odd one out

On the other hand, Malta, Indonesia, and Japan.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FPTP is a better map for that IMO (then again South Africa, Australia and Ireland; can't win them all I suppose):

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Elyv posted:

On the other hand, Malta, Indonesia, and Japan.
Malta was a Crown Colony until the 60s. Indonesia was probably swayed by being between Malaysia and Australia. Japan is an island monarchy of tea drinking racists who hate their neighbors.

Not sure about Thailand. Nor why Burma/Myanmar went the other way.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

My main question is how did Burma resist the tyranny of the British road system.

Guavanaut posted:

Well, it was neatly divided after they finished drawing all those lines all over it.

I thought Egypt was still Ottoman territory?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

Even if you convince all countries to adopt God's own right side traffic, it won't change the non-Euclidean tesseract-based driving conventions of Andromeda.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dreddout posted:

I thought Egypt was still Ottoman territory?
It was both simultaneously an autonomous province of the Ottoman Empire and a de facto protectorate of the British one until the outbreak of WWI.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Why isn't Burma part of the glorious right hand drive ex-Empire?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
This is a map on how left and right hand drive has changed since about the 1850s:

Red: Has always driven on the right (RHT).
Orange: Originally drove on the left, but now drives on the right side of the road.
Blue: Has always driven on the left side of the road (LHT).
Purple: Originally drove on the right, but now drives on the left.
Green: Once had different rules of the road (depending on one's location), but now drives on the right.

It's accurate up to 2011, but I don't think things have actually changed since then. Note that it does ignore things like how the American occupation of Okinawa mandated that civilians drive on the right for about 30 years, and they switched back a few years after occupation ended.

Blut posted:

Why isn't Burma part of the glorious right hand drive ex-Empire?

Because they changed away from that when it became more convenient for importing cars. Too bad this map is all tiny and JPEGy but it includes the dates for most countries' changes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
[Insert disliked country] is considering changing from left-hand drive to right-hand drive, but for the first six months it'll be trucks and buses only.