Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hoops posted:

Coutinho is a good boy though and Suarez was a proper loving nutcase

A proper nutcase who almost singlehandedly dragged your shambles of a squad to a Premier League title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Given the number of times have Liverpool said "oh, we'll be able to replace [insert name] with no fuss" only to fall into a major rut, I'd rather just keep Coutinho a little longer and hopefully find some better scouts.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Why would Barca be in for Coutinho if Neymar leaves? lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why would you sell Coutinho for a mountain of cash, who would you replace him with that didn't cost an equally ridiculous amount after everyone saw the fee?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Snodgrass

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Howson, obvs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

tarbrush posted:

Howson, obvs.

If Neymar is going for over £200M then surely Howson is £250M minimum

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why would you sell Coutinho for a mountain of cash, who would you replace him with that didn't cost an equally ridiculous amount after everyone saw the fee?

They should of been in for James. Too late..

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sebzilla posted:

If Neymar is going for over £200M then surely Howson is £250M minimum

€500m certainly

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I don't think all these £100m transfers Liverpool are supposedly involved in are going to happen.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

At least.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/888452367775039488

It's official.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

he managed get all his red hair dye out then

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Neymar for 200m, Suarez for 65m. loving hell Liverpool suck at selling players.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Diva Cupcake posted:

Suarez was coming off a third biting incident and a racism ban. Not exactly comparable situations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah it's definitely comparable several years on

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think Liverpool should sell Coutinho because as this transfer window has proven, teams don't always get the player they want even with bids of close to 100m, so there's no guarantee that we could actually replace him with someone as good, even with silly money. I don't think he's the best player in the world but that's got nothing to do with how much money he's worth.

Also to the person who said Liverpool wouldn't need to replace him because a midfield of Can/Henderson/Lallana would be just fine, lol just lol, Coutinho probably won us like 15 points singlehandedly last season by being the only player on the team who could make something out of nothing

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

vyelkin posted:

Also to the person who said Liverpool wouldn't need to replace him because a midfield of Can/Henderson/Lallana would be just fine, lol just lol, Coutinho probably won us like 15 points singlehandedly last season by being the only player on the team who could make something out of nothing

This, but my fantasy team.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Don't listen to the Hawk, he's a mentalist.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
boro have sold legendary ugly man stuani and have agreed a deal in principle with big darren randolph

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Man Utd wanted Morata but signed Lukaku (submitted a final bid for Morata 12 hours before agreeing to pay for Lukaku)

The chels wanted Lukaku but signed Morata (matched Utd's bid for Lukaku)

Both clubs apparently got their 2nd choice. I blame Real Madrid.

Could totally work out for both clubs, still. Can easily see both strikers being successes.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

vyelkin posted:

Little bit mental but I genuinely don't think Coutinho going would be as big a loss as Suarez was.

And our midfield is Hendo/Wij/Lallana.

It's all irrelevant because he's going nowhere.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Newcastle offloaded Daryl Murphy and signed Javier Manquillo

Forest gave Murphy a 3 year deal, he's 34 :wtc:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Little bit mental but I genuinely don't think Coutinho going would be as big a loss as Suarez was.

Hendo is forever broken though. Coutinho isn't getting sold either; Barca is just trolling them for trying to buy players that aren't for sale.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sebzilla posted:

I read a thing today about inflation in transfer fees and how, proportionally, Shevchenko is/was the most expensive transfer ever in the Premier League. Ferdinand was roughly similar. Both would have been about £150M in today's money, given the rate of increase in average transfer fees.

iirc £30m for Ferdinand was "a lot for a defender" back then, not "what the gently caress I hate football now" money - probably closer to £80m in today's market

madrid paying £50m for zidane is closer to what would be a £150m transfer now, just chucking state cash at a big club with no reason to sell until you reach an arbitrary value that no player would actually be worth

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hendo is forever broken though. Coutinho isn't getting sold either; Barca is just trolling them for trying to buy players that aren't for sale.

Hendo's apparently fit but yeah who knows how long that lasts.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

EvilHawk posted:

We didn't break our transfer record on Salah to put him on the bench, our front three will be him, Firmino, and Mane. Coutinho will be going back to midfield so that's the midfield you compare to.

PSG close to getting Sanchez apparently.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 22, 2017

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

We didn't break our transfer record on Salah to put him on the bench, our front three will be him, Firmino, and Mane. Coutinho will be going back to midfield.

I meant without Coutinho obviously.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Oh soz.

Apparently Neymar is paying his own clause himself as usual for Spanish release clauses but Qatar are paying it to him instead of PSG, and thus it's off the FFP books. Shadiest player ever.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brendan Rodgers posted:

PSG close to getting Sanchez apparently.

I have to imagine they have enough money to get him if they really want him. No clue how Arsenal can replace Sanchez, though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Can't believe PSG are getting two players for something in the range of £300 million. That's absolutely absurd.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Manchester City should have signed Schmeichel

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Leicester could only have signed Jakupovic, himself a good keeper, if they expected Schmeichel to leave.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I would like us not to sell Coutinho for any amount of money because he's A. a very good player and B. we have a ton of money but still can't attract the top level players so what is more money going to do for us?

I'd also rather we sign Keita than VvD (even though neither are realistically signing) as Henderson's seems injury prone now and I'm comfortable with Matip, Lovren and Sakho (who I think could stay if we don't get VvD).

I can honestly say I don't ever remember Robertson playing but he's a left back and not Moreno so that's a step in the right direction.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

This pretty much goes without saying but I don't think we should be comparing every player sale to the time we sold the third-best player in the world and the squad fell apart for two years.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Surely PSG are on shaky ground regarding Sanchez as apparently they've been sorting everything out with him whilst Wenger and Gazidis were abroad for the friendly tour, so who exactly have they been talking to at Arsenal to ensure it's not tapping up? They can't negotiate with the player directly until January IIRC.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Surely PSG are on shaky ground regarding Sanchez as apparently they've been sorting everything out with him whilst Wenger and Gazidis were abroad for the friendly tour, so who exactly have they been talking to at Arsenal to ensure it's not tapping up? They can't negotiate with the player directly until January IIRC.
Tapping up only matters when the selling club decides to care and then you just have to say I'm sorry

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Also Skype/phone calls/emails are a thing these days

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/22/manchester-city-set-to-sign-benjamin-mendy-monaco-record-deal

quote:

Manchester City have agreed a fee of €57.5m (£52m) with Monaco for Benjamin Mendy, with the France international set for a medical this week ahead of his proposed move. Pep Guardiola had identified the 23-year-old left-back as one of his transfer priorities at the end of last season following the departure of Gaël Clichy but City saw three bids turned down for the player who only joined Monaco last season for £11m.
The third - a €50m (£44.5m) offer - was rejected on Thursday, with the French champions demanding a fee in excess of the £50m City paid Tottenham for Kyle Walker last week. Late interest from Chelsea, who have been so far frustrated in their attempts to sign Brazil international Alex Sandro from Juventus, prompted City to increase their offer for Mendy, meaning he will become the most expensive defender in history when the deal is complete.

what is even money anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Coutinho was only mentioned because Neymar Sr wanted more brazilians at Barcelona because Neymar is a bitch boy, it's not going to happen

• Locked thread