Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I moved to Atlanta from Denver. Does the NFL have these "blackouts" I think you're calling them? What are those? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gift that keeps on giving! Sweet!

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
Does anyone know if there's a quantifiable difference in quality between HBO delivered through, say, HBO GO vs Amazon Prime vs Sling? Game of Thrones via Sling on my LG B6 (WebOS) has some pretty bad quality problems in dark scenes, and I was wondering if it'd be better via the Amazon app.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Does anyone know if there's a quantifiable difference in quality between HBO delivered through, say, HBO GO vs Amazon Prime vs Sling? Game of Thrones via Sling on my LG B6 (WebOS) has some pretty bad quality problems in dark scenes, and I was wondering if it'd be better via the Amazon app.

I had similar issues using HBO GO app on my Fire TV.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I thought it looked bad on cable actually - like there was serious compression going on.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

dphi posted:

I thought it looked bad on cable actually - like there was serious compression going on.

Quality on cable varies greatly by provider. Your cable company can recompress every channel's transport stream for the sake of fitting more channels into their lineup and things like that. In :filez: world an HDTV rip is scrub-tier for that reason.

My local cable company compresses our NBC affiliate so badly every show looks like the god drat Predator Bluray.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Quality on cable varies greatly by provider. Your cable company can recompress every channel's transport stream for the sake of fitting more channels into their lineup and things like that. In :filez: world an HDTV rip is scrub-tier for that reason.

My local cable company compresses our NBC affiliate so badly every show looks like the god drat Predator Bluray.

Yeah, no, I get that - I watch a ton of cable. But HBO usually looks pretty good where I'm at, definitely better than it did last night. Not sure the amount of people watching/streaming affects it at all?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Looked fine on HBO GO via my Roku.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I was watching GoT on a Chromecast Ultra and the darks were super dark making it hard to see a loving thing going on. First time doing it through the CCU so I'm not sure if it's standard or not. I'll probably rewatch on something else at some point and compare but man, it was rough during parts. But compression wise, it looked very good, no real issues there.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Watching HBO GO through my 3rd Gen. Apple TV looks great, I have no complaints. I don't have a really large TV to check it on, my largest screen being 32", but I expect it would still look good if I did.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm still limping along with my 700ms+ ping and 1-3Mbps D/L. HBOgo does not downsample at all so I haven't gotten to watch GoT yet but Comcast will be installed this Sunday. Hell, Hulu is unwatchable, only Netflix and Plex have been ok.

I also got an email from YouTube TV today. Of course YouTube TV will finally be available in Atlanta literally 3 days before I gave up on my lovely DSL and have Comcast. Well, it's not like I can use it god drat it :(

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Had anyone on here ever had issues with (and luck fixing) Sling on ChromeCast? The audio and video don't sync up on any channels for me through ChromeCast, no matter which device I try to push it off from. Sling works perfectly fine on my computer and tablet otherwise.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Neon Belly posted:

Had anyone on here ever had issues with (and luck fixing) Sling on ChromeCast? The audio and video don't sync up on any channels for me through ChromeCast, no matter which device I try to push it off from. Sling works perfectly fine on my computer and tablet otherwise.

Nope, Sling on Chromecast is absolute garbage. VOD doesn't work most of the time, live streaming is usually out of sync, and the app crashes on occasion.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Chromecast in general seems like garbage. Just put in the extra cash and get a Roku or Apple TV. FireTV is okay, but a lot of the apps worked like poo poo compared to my Roku, but then again I have a big Roku box, not the stick. There is something to be said about a faster processor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got zero problems streaming stuff from Plex, Netflix and Hulu on my Chromecast(s)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tailored Sauce posted:

Nope, Sling on Chromecast is absolute garbage. VOD doesn't work most of the time, live streaming is usually out of sync, and the app crashes on occasion.

Yeah, I usually recommend the following:

All of these have PLEX, SlingTV, PSVue, FuboTV, and regular Hulu clients. None of them have YouTube TV. PLEX Live TV (PLEX Pass BETA feature) not available in client yet for these.

ShieldTV -
PROS: Pretty much the superior choice all around. 4K video. Use Steamcast to play your steam games on TV, Amazon video client. Live Channels is a fantastic HDHomeRun client and will integrate PlutoTV service. Can be PLEX server. Google Play client for viewing purchasing media.
CONS: No DirectTV Now or Hulu Live TV (you COULD chromecast from phone, I guess) and can't play iTunes media. Expensive.

AppleTV -
PROS: By far the best video quality (for non 4K). Only way to play Apple iTunes media. Has native DirectTVNow. Only one with Hulu Live TV access. Google Play client for playback of media only. Channels is the best OTA client (by a razor thing margin over Live Channels). Lightning fast UI.
CONS: No 4K. Does not have Amazon Video client for now, but it's been announced and probably released to coincide with iOS11. Channels app can't integrate other video sources like Google's LiveChannel. Expensive

FireTV 4K -
PROS: Lowest cost of the three. 4K video. Tight integration with Amazon Prime account. Hulu Live TV
CONS: Picture not as good as ShieldTV or AppleTV. Can't play iTunes media. Silcon Dust's client is really only real choice for OTA and it's OK at best. UI is a mess of ads and confusion. Have to use trickery to access Google Play for media. No Hulu Live TV

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 21, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
You can watch OTA channels on AppleTV? Please tell me more (I'm googling now).

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Yes with the Channels app and an HD HomeRun.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Fire TV has Hulu live TV now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

Fire TV has Hulu live TV now.

Moved the PROS section, thanks.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It seems like the Shield is king if you have the cash. I love the new FireTV I bought, but the Shield has Plex TV live/DVR and Steam streaming.

Not a huge deal, although it's making me rethink my purchase during the 30-day window. Nvidia seems to have a lot of muscle behind this.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Advice request.

For the past 5 or so years, my wife and I have watched avi/mkv files from my PC's hard drive - streamed to the TV in the living room with a WDTV box through a windows share.

The box is basically starting to die, or seems to be. Shows constantly freeze up, then if they start again they play too fast for a few seconds, as if they're catching up to where they would have been at that point. It used to be rare, and pulling the power and rebooting it seemed to fix the issue, but it's getting worse and worse.

Adding to the frustration, it's recently no longer finding any media. My windows share no longer even appears as an option. I've been reduced to loading files onto a flash drive and watching them on the WDTV as local media.

To top it off, as of the 2017 season, the drat MLB app is no longer supported on the thing either, killing off the one app I actually used on it.

So I'm looking for a replacement.

I'm assuming either a current Roku or Amazon Fire TV box would be fine? I'm not really concerned about streaming apps other than MLB.tv. Don't have a Netflix account, and have never used Amazon Streaming despite having prime.

Basically - what's the best bare bones / cheapest means for me to replace the function of the WDTV Live box? I just want to get avi and mkv files to stream to the TV. MLB app a big plus, but not a deal breaker.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you can afford a shield you should get a shield.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tony Phillips posted:

Advice request.

For the past 5 or so years, my wife and I have watched avi/mkv files from my PC's hard drive - streamed to the TV in the living room with a WDTV box through a windows share.

The box is basically starting to die, or seems to be. Shows constantly freeze up, then if they start again they play too fast for a few seconds, as if they're catching up to where they would have been at that point. It used to be rare, and pulling the power and rebooting it seemed to fix the issue, but it's getting worse and worse.

Adding to the frustration, it's recently no longer finding any media. My windows share no longer even appears as an option. I've been reduced to loading files onto a flash drive and watching them on the WDTV as local media.

To top it off, as of the 2017 season, the drat MLB app is no longer supported on the thing either, killing off the one app I actually used on it.

So I'm looking for a replacement.

I'm assuming either a current Roku or Amazon Fire TV box would be fine? I'm not really concerned about streaming apps other than MLB.tv. Don't have a Netflix account, and have never used Amazon Streaming despite having prime.

Basically - what's the best bare bones / cheapest means for me to replace the function of the WDTV Live box? I just want to get avi and mkv files to stream to the TV. MLB app a big plus, but not a deal breaker.

Cheapest? Raspberry Pi 3 using LIbreElec/OpenElec. Not sure about the MLB app. But if you put Kodi on the FireTV, that would work too. Mi Box is a third option (http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/)

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 22, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon should continue to be ashamed about selling a 4k box without HDR when most of their own content is HDR.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Don Lapre posted:

If you can afford a shield you should get a shield.

This should be the thread title.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It really is the best streaming box out of all available streaming boxes. Plays and supports literally everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

It really is the best streaming box out of all available streaming boxes. Plays and supports literally everything.

Except DirectTV Now. Which is inexplicable to me. Apparently you can only get a working androidTV client on LeEco TVs in some sort of weird exclusivity deal or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

Except DirectTV Now. Which is inexplicable to me. Apparently you can only get a working androidTV client on LeEco TVs in some sort of weird exclusivity deal or something.

They really picked a winner there! :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not like you can't cast it to the shield.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I have a shield and it's great. My brother bought a MI Box, and that's like $70 instead of $200/300 and seems pretty solid also. Those are about the only two choices for Android TV boxes atm.

You give up storage, ethernet, and processor with the MI Box when compared to the shield but again, $70. Also, it seems to only be available at Walmart.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I have a shield and it's great. My brother bought a MI Box, and that's like $70 instead of $200/300 and seems pretty solid also. Those are about the only two choices for Android TV boxes atm.

You give up storage, ethernet, and processor with the MI Box when compared to the shield but again, $70. Also, it seems to only be available at Walmart.

Just as a note: If you want to use HD Homerun CONNECT with this thing, you'll have to use an 802.11ac network. Otherwise you'll need to get the EXTEND which has the transcoder built in (which adds about $100 to the price)

I can report when setting up my parents' stuff that 5GHz 802.11n was not quite enough to push the raw stream and had to move them to their wired network (which was no big deal since every room has a cable run at their house). They already had FIreTV 4K so wired was an option. You *may* be able to get it to work, but it won't be reliable.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Only reason I don't recommend Xiaomi's Mi Box is because it's plagued with Plex issues. If you don't run a Plex setup though, I'm sure it's great streaming device, and yes, it's literally the only other Android TV device outside of the Shield and TVs with Android baked in.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

teagone posted:

Only reason I don't recommend Xiaomi's Mi Box is because it's plagued with Plex issues. If you don't run a Plex setup though, I'm sure it's great streaming device, and yes, it's literally the only other Android TV device outside of the Shield and TVs with Android baked in.

My brother streams Plex through it just fine, although we don't watch 40gb rips direct play or anything like that. The general rule of thumb over at the ANDROIDTV reddit, is that the Mi Box is good for your basic 1080p setup where you'll only ever watch Netflix/Hulu/non crazy Plex. If you have 4k, receivers, and all sorts of other stuff than the MI Box starts to choke according to some users.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My brother streams Plex through it just fine, although we don't watch 40gb rips direct play or anything like that. The general rule of thumb over at the ANDROIDTV reddit, is that the Mi Box is good for your basic 1080p setup where you'll only ever watch Netflix/Hulu/non crazy Plex. If you have 4k, receivers, and all sorts of other stuff than the MI Box starts to choke according to some users.

Does your brother stream remotely from your server? Or does he have his own local Plex server? And does he have a 5.1+ audio setup or just streams 2.0 AAC audio streams from Plex? I've read on the Plex forums that people have been having issues with their Mi Box not being able to passthrough AC3 and DTS audio for months now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

A page of box discussion with no mention of the Roku? Sacrilege.

Seriously, the Roku Premiere/Ultra are both amazing for the price, I'd rate them well over Apple TV if you don't have iTunes poo poo. Have access to basically everything, run great without any hiccups (unlike Fire TV), and are under $150, under $100 of you don't want the Ultra.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

teagone posted:

Does your brother stream remotely from your server? Or does he have his own local Plex server? And does he have a 5.1+ audio setup or just streams 2.0 AAC audio streams from Plex? I've read on the Plex forums that people have been having issues with their Mi Box not being able to passthrough AC3 and DTS audio for months now.

It's remotely, and it's "non-crazy plex" as mentioned so no 5.1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Until Roku gets their head out of their asses and allows greater output configurability, I'm not interested in their boxes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Most people dismiss the Roku because it's not super great and the interface is poo poo. It's cheap as gently caress man. It's a great device to get your feet wet in the streaming game.

So my internet is back! I'm pulling 89/12 instead of 1/.3 gently caress you Windstream! Also I already hate Comcast still and I only had the drat thing for an hour. They've made their boxed so slow that using the guide is slow as gently caress and they won't let you only show the channels you subscribe to. They force you to have 100s of channels you don't have. I subscribed to the local only plan because it was oddly enough as a bundle than just the internet I wanted.

Now that I have pretty fast broadband I wanna download something huge but now I have a data cap. gently caress BOTH OF YOU YOU WINDSTREAM AND COMCAST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Roku's are cool because they have pretty much every streaming service known to man. I can't think of a platform that has more services on it - and while the interface isn't pretty, it's dead simple to use and rock-solid in terms of stability.

They're pretty much the perfect "parent" streaming device. My parents have been rocking a Roku 2 XD since 2013 and while it's slow as poo poo, it never crashes or misbehaves in a way that would cause them to panic.

Last week, I kept getting "Unfortunately Vudu has has stopped" popping up in the middle of my Hulu stream while using my Shield. Now to me it's whatever because im tech-savvy and post on the something awful dot com forums cord cutters thread, but it was pretty much an eye-rolling android.txt experience.