Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Linebreaker seems like a great way to punish the gently caress out of MSU builds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can't help but enjoy the idea of an Imperial Fists army using Bolt Carbine Reivers with Grav Chutes to deploy in locations with obvious cover for targets, then not give a poo poo about said cover. Have some genuine Assault units held back (Couple of squads of SquatAssaults) and jump on whatever tries to dislodge the Reivers.

E: Side benefit - Anyone who DOES dislodge the Reivers finds themselves getting countershot by your entire army, that literally gives no fucks about that cover you took.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Yes. It flat-out says (i.e. moving vertically is free for these models.)

But is a charge considered a move in this context? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for 5 inch charges out of reserves but I could see people making a fuss about this. Not to mention this will require some pretty specific placement of models with relation to terrain.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

The Bee posted:

Yes. It flat-out says (i.e. moving vertically is free for these models.)

Still won't work.

Page 182 clearly states that you can only target units within 12". If you are 9" away horizontally and vertically, then you are 12.7" inches away base-to-base and therefore out of charge range.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Ya, I think it's for extra relics. So the rules may allow you to take up to 1 per army, and you can spend CPs to get more. You have to put them on different characters though, it looks like. SO I can't take the Armor Indomitus and the Shield Eternal on the same model, for example.

From what I can barely read,

"If your army is lead by a Space Marine Warlord, you may give one of the following Chapter Relics to a Space Marine Character in your army. Named characters like Marenus "Lil' (formerly Big) Poppa" Calgar already have one or more relics and and cannot be given any of the following relics."

Somehow the lower paragraph is more illegible, but it looks like it says something like you must still pay for the base cost of any wargear you're upgrading to a relic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

I know nobody will care, but I'm saying it anyway.

40K is doing that thing it does that bores the life out of me. Exploring in excruciating depth the amazing "variety" of it's Space Marine chapters. I understand that SM are the most popular faction, but it gets dull hearing about how the Crimson Fists are different from the Ultra Marines are different from the Space Wolves are different from the Blood Angels are different from the Salamanders are different from the Imperial Fists, etc. etc, etc... Ugh. How about a little bit of the limelight for the "villians" of the piece?

I know the lesser armies will get some coverage eventually, but after the initial hype I'm left wanting for some details about anything but the power armor poster children.

They're doing previews for the loving product they're releasing next, which goes up for order tomorrow. Cool your jets.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Also means you can't give Pedro the superfist

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

JoshTheStampede posted:

Also means you can't give Pedro the superfist

God dammit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

bonds0097 posted:

Still won't work.

Page 182 clearly states that you can only target units within 12". If you are 9" away horizontally and vertically, then you are 12.7" inches away base-to-base and therefore out of charge range.

I meant at the very least 9.0000001" away diagonally. It could be 9 vertical, 0 horizontal. Or it could be 6 and 6. I don't expect you to be able to dive off of giant 2-foot tall encampments, but being able to lower minimum charge distance from a 9 on the dice to something more manageable is always nice. If anything, 9 and 9 would just put me right back in the same boat of a long charge distance. That said, I probably misexplained what I meant when I wrote. My bad.

As for charges being considered in moves, the term constantly used is "charge move." I imagine it's a subset of moving, then, especially since it doesn't mention grapnels only being usable in the movement phase.

Interestingly enough, Pile-Ins and Consolidations are also considered moving. And those don't even have a qualifying term like charge move. The idea of being able to zoom up a cliff and drag someone into melee is just as amusing as the Randy Savage Reivers in my books.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 21, 2017

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
You have to pay the points for the Termagaunts a Tervigon spawns, except when it's just replacing a dead unit, right?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

The Bee posted:

I said at the very least 9.0000001" away diagonally. It could be 9 vertical, 0 horizontal. Or it could be 6 and 6. I don't expect you to be able to dive off of giant 2-foot tall encampments, but being able to lower minimum charge distance from a 9 on the dice to something more manageable is always nice.

As for charges being considered in moves, the term constantly used is "charge move." I imagine it's a subset of moving, then, especially since it doesn't mention grapnels only being usable in the movement phase.

Interestingly enough, Pile-Ins and Consolidations are also considered moving. And those don't even have a qualifying term like charge move. The idea of being able to zoom up a cliff and drag someone into melee is just as amusing as the Randy Savage Reivers in my books.

You also have to be within 6" of a board edge when you deep-strike w/ grappels, if you're going for a turn 1 charge, so that seems pretty niche.

I do like the idea of finishing off a unit in melee and then batman grappeling to the roof of a nearby building and swarming on the shooters trying to control the high ground there.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

bonds0097 posted:

You also have to be within 6" of a board edge when you deep-strike w/ grappels, if you're going for a turn 1 charge, so that seems pretty niche.

I do like the idea of finishing off a unit in melee and then batman grappeling to the roof of a nearby building and swarming on the shooters trying to control the high ground there.

Yeah, that's true. Nobody is going to put a random wall in their deploy zone, so you'd have to bank on houses being at the board edges. I could see the setup working out in a Cities of Death game, but kinda iffy elsewhere.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geoff Zahn posted:

You have to pay the points for the Termagaunts a Tervigon spawns, except when it's just replacing a dead unit, right?
You're fine as long as you're just replacing dead models. You need to set aside points if you plan on creating new units, however.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

You're fine as long as you're just replacing dead models. You need to set aside points if you plan on creating new units, however.

Gotcha. Also another question, can I shoot said Tervigon when Termagaunts are in front of it as it's wounds characteristic is above 9 and its tall (thus usually in LOS)?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geoff Zahn posted:

Gotcha. Also another question, can I shoot said Tervigon when Termagaunts are in front of it as it's wounds characteristic is above 9 and its tall (thus usually in LOS)?
Yes. It may be a character, but it is over 10 wounds so it's fair game.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hixson posted:

What do you do to weather the lower legs with that dark tint?

ijyt posted:

Looks a lot like pigment powders to me.

Yeah, pigment powders. All Vallejo, Carbon Black for the legs and building up some ochres and siennas for the exhausts up top.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How did you color the armor? That's exactly the tint I want to use for my Primaris.

I did a gradient with an airbrush using a Vallejo Leather Brown Primer, followed by Bone White Air and Dead White Air. Then I hit the whole thing with an Army Painter Soft Tone wash (any sepia will do) the built the colour back up by drybrushing Bone White and Offwhite. The messy drybrush gives it a bit of texture which is then hit with some Black Grey chipping which is sponged on. Pigment powder is brushed on then the thing is varnished, transfers are applied then one final coat of Testor's Dullcote. I use the same technique for the rest of the army, hit me up if you have any questions.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Expensive though it may be, the Primaris Captain kit is really cool. Just now getting around to assembling it and I love the details. The greaves are a separate piece so you have really defined armor plates everywhere and the vambraces are a nice touch. I wish it were more customizable but at least it uses separate shoulder pads so I was able to switch those out with sculpted chapter pad and a pad and head from the sternguard kit.

I also really like that the cloak is detached (like for the gravis captain) so that you can prime and paint it separately.

Really looking forward to painting this up.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

bonds0097 posted:

Expensive though it may be, the Primaris Captain kit is really cool. Just now getting around to assembling it and I love the details. The greaves are a separate piece so you have really defined armor plates everywhere and the vambraces are a nice touch. I wish it were more customizable but at least it uses separate shoulder pads so I was able to switch those out with sculpted chapter pad and a pad and head from the sternguard kit.

I also really like that the cloak is detached (like for the gravis captain) so that you can prime and paint it separately.

Does it have multiple weapon options?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Black_Nexus posted:

Does it have multiple weapon options?

Power-Sword and two different bolter variants.

Fingers crossed the book gives some more.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

SteelMentor posted:

Yeah I hope so too, I like the Gravis captain too but I can't think of a reason I'd every want a powerfist and an expensive special power sword on the same model

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Is the repulsor really the sole transport option for primaris? Seems unusual that the only option is a Land Raider sized gunboat.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is the repulsor really the sole transport option for primaris? Seems unusual that the only option is a Land Raider sized gunboat.

Big boys need a big truck.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm glad that psyker disciplines are going back to six powers but it'd be real nice to have access to more disciplines

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SteelMentor posted:

Specifically, master-crafted versions of both the Auto Bolt Rifle and the Stalker Bolt Rifle

Auto: 24", Assault 2, S4, AP 0, D2
Stalker: 36", Heavy 1, S4, AP-2, D2

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Liquid Communism posted:

That makes me snicker a little, since the Legion of the Damned are something the Inquisition would be stomping as hard as possible if they could get their hands on them.

Old fluff has them maintained and launched by the Inquisition...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I am very much on board with the idea that the Legion of the Damned (and Celestine) are actually the demons of the Emperor, Chaos God of Pride. Even though GW definitely doesn't have the balls (this edition) to go ahead and outright declare it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bonds0097 posted:

Wow. Then they really hosed up with the librarian. Looks great but the cloak conceals a lot of detail and some of the armor is extremely hard to get to deep in its shadows.
Also would have it killed them to model an altenate weapon on the sprue?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Old fluff has them maintained and launched by the Inquisition...
You sure you're not thinking of the Deathwatch?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So interesting if true but Inceptors might have gained a wound, which I could certainly get behind as so far they've pretty much always died before making back their points every time I've fielded them.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Safety Factor posted:

You sure you're not thinking of the Deathwatch?

No, it was some really old fluff where a guy stumbles across a secret passage in a ship that shouldn't be there with a bunch of marine-corpses in tubes being worked on and they end up killing him for having seen it.

This was probably early 90s.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

So interesting if true but Inceptors might have gained a wound, which I could certainly get behind as so far they've pretty much always died before making back their points every time I've fielded them.

Still looks like 2 wounds to me. Interestingly enough, Aggressors are in the same boat. I figured they'd benefit from a second wound due to being even bulkier, but I guess not.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

Still looks like 2 wounds to me. Interestingly enough, Aggressors are in the same boat. I figured they'd benefit from a second wound due to being even bulkier, but I guess not.

Bah, so it is, managed to get the clearer version of the pics.

On the upside the ultramarine relic is a 3+ iron halo with deny the witch :toot:.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Can someone good at stats tell me the likelihood for a Chaos Predator auto-cannon (the big beefy tank version with 3 damage not the man-portable one) to wipe out a squad of three Tyranid warriors

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

One more question: how well would Perry's Desert Rats work for a desert-themed Imperial Guard army? Back in the day I really liked the look of Tallarn Desert Raiders, but that ship has sailed a veeeeeeery long time ago.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=2848

I would think it shouldn't be much work to splice the kit with some appropriate 40k weapons for the heavy weapon teams? Rest of them can just be using auto-guns or something

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

some bigass gorilla hands and guns on em you'll fit right in, but really though they're going to look weird.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The raven guard relic jump pack lets you advance and charge and reroll charges. RG captains/chap masters with a thunder hammer or burning blade will make pretty nice character assassins.

Murderwings flies again?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So it looks like by using tarantulas for FA and a little bit of guard, I can make a 2k brigade detachment for the CP, and have 3 predators to use killshot. Of course point costs for stuff might change so the list has wiggle room in it. But it looks like you really want a ton of CP for all these stratagems. Of course, dunno if we can get chapter benefits while having guard in the detachment, we'll have to see how that pans out. But CP is looking to be super valuable, I'll be trying to squeeze as much as I can out of my lists.

Edit: Also, I want to see someone use bolter drill on a 10 man unit of imperial fist sternguard. Or on centurion hurricane bolters.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

TheLawinator posted:

some bigass gorilla hands and guns on em you'll fit right in, but really though they're going to look weird.

I don't have any options for cheap plastic desert warriors then do I?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow. Then they really hosed up with the librarian. Looks great but the cloak conceals a lot of detail and some of the armor is extremely hard to get to deep in its shadows.
Also would have it killed them to model an altenate weapon on the sprue?

Hem, that's a bummer. I haven't looked at my librarian sprues yet really but that kind of disparity seems odd.

On the captain even the tabard is a separate piece which is great if you want to paint it separately as well.

Admittedly the librarians cloak is much closer to the armor and less isolated so it seems like it would be way harder to do something similar.

Some of the mold lines on the captain are loving genius, too. They flow into totally hidden areas in many cases. I also like that one of the major waist joins gets covered by the pistol holster. I'm really impressed with the spruce design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYAqdPMRhuI

Tabletop tactics got the codex early.

So they confirmed that relics don't cost any points, they just replace wargear. You get one relic for free, can pay 1 cp for a second, and 3 cp for a third.

Thinking I'll give my apothecary the Teeth of Terra, he always ends up doing a lot of fighting alongside my terminators. Can give him one of my fancy vanguard chainswords. And might give my techmarine the axe of medusa, or just give it to my captain to save 16 points over a relic blade.

Also, redemptor is 201 points with a plasma cannon and the gatling cannon. That's only 33 more than my contemptor, I want one.

Marine warlord trait he chose: +1 attack when charging and reroll failed charges, so straight up better than the generic rulebook trait.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 22, 2017