Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedSpider
May 12, 2017

BTW, nice racist username you got there "Jewmanji.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lol so this is what youre resorting to

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ruddiger posted:

So you want the VHS version that you saw as a kid?

Or do you want some amalgamated from memory version that only exists in your head?

If you want the "first time seeing it in a theater" experience (which I doubt you had as most goons saw the movies on VHS originally), then that's tough poo poo because the theater experience is wholly unique in itself that no home entertainment system will ever faithfully reproduce.

I own the original trilogy on VHS and have watched it a few times that way. I've also watched the Special Edition blu rays. Both are fine, we're fine, we're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

I'd like a version without the changes made in the theatrical re-release onward. Certainly not poo poo like the Vader "nooooo". I don't think this is particularly ambiguous or confusing. It could be the THX touched up version, it could be something earlier, doesn't much matter to me and I'll happily eat my words if someone who also doesn't want the special editions chimes in saying otherwise.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This thread has really gone to the Kowakian Monkey Lizards.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Super Fan posted:

Do you have a single original thought in your head? You're just regurgitating poo poo people have been saying for pages. White noise.

If you took out the vulgarity that would pass as Threepio dialog to Artoo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I'd like a version without the changes made in the theatrical re-release onward. Certainly not poo poo like the Vader "nooooo". I don't think this is particularly ambiguous or confusing. It could be the THX touched up version, it could be something earlier, doesn't much matter to me and I'll happily eat my words if someone who also doesn't want the special editions chimes in saying otherwise.

Fullscreen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Star-Wa...jsAAOSwX3NZbqkn

Widescreen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-T...tQAAOSwWF1Za4Jw

Pick your poison.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So here's the situation. Guy wants a high-resolution reproduction of one of the earlier (pre-1997) editions of Star Wars, because the alterations made in 1997 were pretty large and he doesn't like them.

Rather than talk about what's good or bad about the particular 1997 changes, and in fact, in preference to a conversation that was already happening about one of them, guy starts to talk about why the movie's director should not have been allowed to put those changes in all post-1997 editions of the movies, why the director is a bad and stupid person, why his opponents in this argument are bad and stupid people, etc.

Now we have a chance to go back to talking about the substance of the film, but this internet of ours is afflicted with a contingent of viewers who see them as axiomatically bad and are therefore incapable of a productive conversation about them.

(The solution is to download the Despecialized Editions, which are pretty well-done fan reconstructions of an older edition of the films. I've done this. I kind of still prefer the blu-rays because in this cursed future, it's somehow easier to deal with copy-protected physical media than plain files.)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Super Fan posted:

Do you have a single original thought in your head? You're just regurgitating poo poo people have been saying for pages.

I agree. But pages? This has been litigated and re-litigated for almost 20 years now. In fact the entire argument has become rote, on both sides. And yet you keep bringing it up and derailing the thread as if it's not "white noise". What would be interesting is to watch you try to reconcile your completely disparate points into something bordering on a coherent argument.

RedSpider posted:

BTW, nice racist username you got there "Jewmanji.'

I'm Jewish.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 22, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Super Fan posted:

Do you have a single original thought in your head? You're just regurgitating poo poo people have been saying for pages. White noise.

The irony is pretty good

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

I agree. But pages? This has been litigated and re-litigated for almost 20 years now. In fact the entire argument has become rote, on both sides. And yet you keep bringing it up and derailing the thread as if it's not "white noise". What would be interesting is to watch you try to reconcile your completely disparate points into something bordering on a coherent argument.

Sure. Allow me to clarify my position to placate an abrasive boring dork on the internet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I suppose I'm lucky in that the SE releases were my first theater experience with Star Wars. I had watched the VHS releases a lot before then, but the SE marathon at the local theater was my first time seeing it with people other than my family. I do wish that there was an official "original" cut of the movies for people to buy because I can totally see the value in getting some portion of that theater experience back.

Wasn't it noted earlier in the thread that they can make those after 2020 if they cut a deal with Fox for ANH due to some legal stuff with the rights?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
gas this loving thread

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I just want Jorge to release the real tapes. The ones where he paid to watch hookers piss on beds that fans once slept in.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The content of the "I want the official originals to be sold in stores in HD so I can legally buy then right now!!!" thing is a distraction from the form the argument takes:

Why are these people petitioning an internet forum, leveling demands at a guy named oval office?

It's an expression of utter powerlessness - made even stranger by the fact that the desired object is readily available. If you have an internet connection, you can get a restored copy of Star Wars in HD in like five minutes. So it's not even about that. It's an act of sacrifice, getting God to acknowledge your existence. It's prayer.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why are these people petitioning an internet forum, leveling demands at a guy named oval office?

This is the best thing you have ever written.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

you know what i love, podracing. its so fast and cool and the video game was awesome

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

love 2 try spinning, a good trick

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

b careful

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
One of the underrated aspects of SMG's gimmick: spelling minor things wrong, for no reason at all.

It reminds me of how Lucas likes to call 'em 'laser swords', actually.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Super Fan posted:

an abrasive boring dork on the internet.

Super Fan posted:

Hayden Christensen loving sucks.

Who cares

Some people just can't accept the obvious shittiness of the prequels.

Nah, the prequels are a punchline at this point.

Anakins mom dying in AotC was laughable imo. Mostly because of the poor casting and awkward dialogue in the scene. And Anakin just happens to come across her right as she's dying lol

George Lucas isn't a racist. He's just old and dumb.

Lucas makes these stories up on the fly and it shows.

In short, George Lucas is a greedy hack idiot.

George Lucas is a washed up old coot.

You have a very effete way of writing. It's kinda creepy.

Thanks for bringing YouTube-quality discourse to the thread.

ruddiger posted:

Crazy to think that that's the last "new" thing introduced to the Star Wars universe that wasn't a play on Jedi/Sith, light sabers, or familiar spaceships.

Here's to another 40 years of stagnation.

I think that's glossing over some pretty interesting stuff in II and III. Kamino? Dooku? To your point I don't think there's a setpiece in II or III that can really compare. But the charms of II and III are more in the character interrelations than whiz-bang action. I guess I concede the point.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 22, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I saw a couple hundred new posts and thought the workprint leaked or something.

Carry on.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

So here's the situation. Guy wants a high-resolution reproduction of one of the earlier (pre-1997) editions of Star Wars, because the alterations made in 1997 were pretty large and he doesn't like them.

Rather than talk about what's good or bad about the particular 1997 changes, and in fact, in preference to a conversation that was already happening about one of them, guy starts to talk about why the movie's director should not have been allowed to put those changes in all post-1997 editions of the movies, why the director is a bad and stupid person, why his opponents in this argument are bad and stupid people, etc.

Now we have a chance to go back to talking about the substance of the film, but this internet of ours is afflicted with a contingent of viewers who see them as axiomatically bad and are therefore incapable of a productive conversation about them.

(The solution is to download the Despecialized Editions, which are pretty well-done fan reconstructions of an older edition of the films. I've done this. I kind of still prefer the blu-rays because in this cursed future, it's somehow easier to deal with copy-protected physical media than plain files.)

I have downloaded the Despecialized Editions, I'd just like to have a legitimate copy because in this day and age the convenience of not having to set up my laptop is worth the couple bucks to me. I'm not ranting and raving I'm just really calmly saying I'd like to buy this version of the movie in a modern format. I really don't understand why this is viewed as distressing or argumentative, or why you're acting like the people saying "hey can I buy the original edition, I prefer it" are more disruptive than the half dozen posters who dogpile them for daring to ruin the thread with their insane opinions.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 22, 2017

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think after IX comes out they'll probably have found a way, licensing-wise, to compile a mega boxset of all 9 (or 12, I guess) films with those versions included. Though I don't think it's a simple process of simply digitizing the reels and putting them to DVD- I think there's quite a lot of restoration work involved in that that requires a lot of man hours and can be quite expensive (not to suggest that Disney can't afford it, but it might not be worthwhile to them).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I have downloaded the Despecialized Editions, I'd just like to have a legitimate copy because in this day and age the convenience of not having to set up my laptop is worth the couple bucks to me. I'm not ranting and raving I'm just really calmly saying I'd like to buy this version of the movie in a modern format. I really don't understand why this is viewed as distressing or argumentative, or why you're acting like the people saying "hey can I buy the original edition, I prefer it" are more disruptive than the half dozen posters who dogpile them for daring to ruin the thread with their insane opinions.

Wanting it isn't weird, even just for convenience. I see a line between "I would like this [media]" and "the man keeping me from this [media] is mentally ill/ it is my right to have [media]." Do you?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Tender Bender posted:

yo thats cool and all but no joke you should get a blu ray player or tv that can accept usb drives, or maybe setup a plex server or something, if you are a cinema fan its worth it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

blamegame posted:

yo thats cool and all but no joke you should get a blu ray player or tv that can accept usb drives, or maybe setup a plex server or something, if you are a cinema fan its worth it

Yea I that's a good idea, I am pretty behind on what kind of setup to have because I don't really buy many movies anymore (because none of them are the Star Wars unspecial editions!)

homullus posted:

Wanting it isn't weird, even just for convenience. I see a line between "I would like this [media]" and "the man keeping me from this [media] is mentally ill/ it is my right to have [media]." Do you?

Yea but I also see a middle ground where people can be annoyed at Lucas without making sweeping judgements about his mental state.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

blamegame posted:

You can use a USBstick and a PS3 to play it despecialized editions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

With just a mouth, vocal chords, and some water you can recite the extremely despecialized editions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know the ability to get fanedits got harder recently, but how many Fan Edits of Return of the Jedi exist solely to remove/minimize the Ewoks presence in the film?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Yea I that's a good idea, I am pretty behind on what kind of setup to have because I don't really buy many movies anymore (because none of them are the Star Wars unspecial editions!)

Yea but I also see a middle ground where people can be annoyed at Lucas without making sweeping judgements about his mental state.

Well, that's good, we agree about that.

I saw each of the films (except Rogue One) in its initial theatrical release. There are things I don't love in the originals. Some of them were specialed out, some remain. Some things I don't love were also specialed in. I think the revisions at worst break even for a film, but I understand being annoyed -- I liked Lapti Nek, for example, and dislike Jedi Rocks. If I am going to be honest, I am having trouble feeling empathy for those who are really really bothered by these changes though. It's not only that they don't bother me, I can't see how they bother others so much. I've always liked Star Wars -- I was soooo fascinated by Darth Vader from seeing commercials for Star Wars on TV, even before I saw the film -- but it's never been part of my identity. No film has. Seeing Star Wars in the theater is still a very powerful experience for me, la recherche du temps perdu, but then it's done. There is no edit, no practical effect that can bring my childhood back, and I can still experience those involuntary memories with a special edition. Perhaps I need to be more empathetic to those who really are deeply affected by this, on a scale I literally cannot comprehend.

I even have an attachment to the Star Wars Holiday Special -- my lone memory of watching it when it aired is the part where Lumpy is in his room, playing with his stuff, and then a stormtrooper comes and rips the head off of his toy bantha . . . and then I think I was sent to bed? Anyway, I don't need to watch the version as it aired on my TV, complete with original commercials, to have that involuntary memory, you know?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Covok posted:

Anyway, which is everyone's favorite aspect of Star Wars? The Force, smugglers and bounty hunters, the rebellion, etc?

Those are all good, but John Williams's score is what does it for me. If you mean within the movie universe then probably lightsabers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I want a highly fine-tuned podracing game in the spirit of the original (the single level seen in Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (as well as the legacy bonus level based on the first Lego Star Wars version) is probably the closest we'll ever get)

Bonus points if we can actually fly other ships through the courses (or fly your podracer through an asteroid field or the Death Star)

I should replay LSW at some point

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Covok posted:

Anyway, which is everyone's favorite aspect of Star Wars? The Force, smugglers and bounty hunters, the rebellion, etc?
I love the collage and pastiche nature of the movies, and how they combine the all the disparate sources together into a pretty unified whole.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 22, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Despecialized Edition guy has been tinkering around and making even more improvements here and there since he released them. You're gonna wanna download the Special Edition Despecialized Edition to get the new old stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

The Despecialized Edition guy has been tinkering around and making even more improvements here and there since he released them. You're gonna wanna download the Special Edition Despecialized Edition to get the new old stuff.
Coming soon: GameStop Exclusive Pre-Order Bonus Super Special Ultra Turbo Director's Cut Despecialized Star Wars Holiday Broadway Musical Edition On Ice Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series & Knuckles With Developer Commentary by George Lucas, Dave Filoni and Pablo Hidalgo

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Covok posted:

The visual aspect. Not the special effects necessarily, but the way that the movies heavily use visuals to tell their story, letting shot composition, editing, and art design do as much or more of the work as the dialogue, as well as the wonderfully imaginative nature of the visuals themselves. When I think of the moments that stick the most, it's largely those big iconic shots: the Star Destroyer passing overhead as it dwarfs the Tantive IV, Vader reaching out to Luke in Cloud City, Anakin racing against the sunset to find his mother, the Death Star looming over Scarif. Star Wars is pure cinema; the experience can't be fully replicated in any other medium.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I want a highly fine-tuned podracing game in the spirit of the original (the single level seen in Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (as well as the legacy bonus level based on the first Lego Star Wars version) is probably the closest we'll ever get)

Bonus points if we can actually fly other ships through the courses (or fly your podracer through an asteroid field or the Death Star)

I should replay LSW at some point

Lego Star Wars is the purest way to experience the epic saga.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

Anakin racing against the sunset to find his mother.

Clones has tons of these kinds of moments. Anakin and Padme entering the arena is really good too.

I think the music really contributes to these moments too.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 22, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Lego Star Wars is the purest way to experience the epic saga.

Those games really lost something when they started adding in voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Those games really lost something when they started adding in voice acting.

I played some Lego Avengers game and one of the missions Agent Coulson wants you to get rid of snakes on the helicarrier. He says "Colonel Fury is tired of these gosh-darn snakes on this gosh-darn helicarrier.

Not sure why they thought referencing a ten year old movie in a childrens game would work.

• Locked thread