Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was a 14 year old who used to write guides for gamefaqs back when they paid 50 bux a pop. :allears: memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
gently caress level 8-2 of the Super Mario Challenge on the 3DS version of Super Mario Maker. The gimmick of the level is using giant flying Buzzy Beetles as platforms, but it's auto a cautionary tale to never use giant flying Buzzy Beetles as platforms, because they are only platforms for 33% of their sprite. The other 66% of the Beetle hurts you* and you'll fall. Oh, and they move up and down too, so it's lovely platforming too.

* And, of course, every block gives a mushroom. Even if you're Big Mario. Not giving a racoon leaf to be found, ya know, the thing that makes finicky platforming acceptable...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Act 5 has some goddamn terrible bosses though.

The last area of act 5 is the most memorable area in the game. That's because it's so drat miserable to play through, but still.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Watch Dogs 2 is pretty great but I feel like they dropped the ball massively with throwing you into big police chases. I genuinely have no idea how you're supposed to escape the police. I've heard it said the right way is to get out of their line of sight (actually simple enough), then stop in an alley and hide in the car. Fair enough but when the game then sends a squad car into the alley I can only throw up my hands. So far I've succeeded every time eventually but never by any kind of deliberate change in my actions, it just feels like dumb luck. Hacks only get you so far because if you don't go at speed you get rammed to death by homing cop cars and if you do it's impossible to deliberately hack this or that specific thing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

So I bought Grim Dawn because of this thread. It better not suck.

Main piece of advice: pick a damage type and a few skills and focus like hell. Try a lot of things early on. You can always respec for a pittance. It's a very chill-out game if you stay ahead of the curves.

I hugely recommend Occultist with the draining circle as a starter caster class, though soldier/cadence or shaman/savagery are both fun left click builds.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Play pets, occultist shaman and just max out each of the base pet skills (you can respec out of the raven as it's weaker if you need the points elsewhere).

Then just set them to aggro and follow your murder pack as they run around the map instantly killing things.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Oh, and as soon as you have a complete constellation you can sell off your starting Crossroads point to reinvest it in the next one.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Play Demolitionist Nightblade (Saboteur), your gunshots get like three different damage types at once, explode on impact, explode into shrapnel, everything in that process crits like crazy and the chain goes on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Kingdom Hearts has aged horribly, and the Final Mix edition adds in really obnoxious new enemies that are basically minigames/minibosses unto themselves that you have to grind a ton of for materials to craft items because they thought it was a good idea to just pad the game out a ton if you wanted the good weapons. I went into this expecting to 100% it like I did years ago when I first played it, but now I just want it to end. Also for some reason magical attacks scale off your MP, which has a hard cap of 19, and physical attacks scale off your strength, which can go up to 100.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Flood loving suck so loving hard.

Hey guys lets have a zombie horde villain. But let's also give them loving shotguns, ROCKET LAUNCHERS, and loving grenades. Also let's have so many on screen that it is literally impossible to tell who has what weapon, and running? Pfft gently caress that, let's shove em into tight hallways so they block you in and kill you instantly with shotguns and melee.

I've died on one section at least 50 drat times. I'm low on health and you have to sacrifice your shield to blow up some generator. Then you get killed instantly from the 5 billion zombies with loving shotguns.

The absolute WORST is you almost manage to make it when OOPS gently caress YOU ONE TOSSED A GRENADE AND KILLED YOU gently caress YOU GO BACK.

WHY WOULD YOU GIVE THEM ON HIT KILL WEAPONS!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!? This wouldn't be NEARLY as hard if I didn't run an 89% chance of getting shotgunned in the back or blown up instantly.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jul 21, 2017

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Play pets, occultist shaman and just max out each of the base pet skills (you can respec out of the raven as it's weaker if you need the points elsewhere).

Then just set them to aggro and follow your murder pack as they run around the map instantly killing things.

I tried this, it works up until bosses who just ignore your pets and beeline for you, turning the fights into a Benny Hill-like nightmare.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah but IME that point is like halfway through the highest difficulty, which is pretty drat good and lots of builds fall apart without gear by then.

Just gotta focus on base pet skills and debuffs. Also there are ways to deal with pet agro, basically if you touch a button the boss will get mad at you but if you can just not touch buttons the pets will build aggro and keep it, eventually letting you push a button or two.

E: Oh and also worth noting is that Grim Dawn has TONS of cool pet equipment. Historically in ARPG pet builds scale like poo poo and very few items give pet bonuses making gearing them up painful if not impossible. In Grim Dawn there are a ton of items with pet bonuses and many that are specifically designed as cool pet class gear. Enough that you can actually have a choice about what might be best in slot for YOUR pets specifically. There are even pieces of equipment that grant you new summonable pets that are competitively powerful with your actual class pets making certain items incredibly desireable and the entire gearing process way more interactive than something like diablo 2 or Titan Quest.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Jul 21, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nuebot posted:

Kingdom Hearts has aged horribly, and the Final Mix edition adds in really obnoxious new enemies that are basically minigames/minibosses unto themselves that you have to grind a ton of for materials to craft items because they thought it was a good idea to just pad the game out a ton if you wanted the good weapons. I went into this expecting to 100% it like I did years ago when I first played it, but now I just want it to end. Also for some reason magical attacks scale off your MP, which has a hard cap of 19, and physical attacks scale off your strength, which can go up to 100.

I recently platinumed that game, and I wholeheartedly agree. I like most of the game, though the platforming is rough as poo poo, but yeah, those new enemies suck dicks. Especially the lovely pink monkey that you have to kill six times in a row using stealth (?????????) and if it sees you, it lights up an alarm and an infinite wave of powerful enemies that don't give xp, money, or items, start swarming you with ranged attacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm glad I emulated Final Mix because savestate abuse blows a hole in most of the new enemies' gimmicks.

There is still no excuse for Sniperwild.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
This is the tiniest little issue but it annoys me when developers ship a game with weird non-standard keybindings.

Come on Id, you know that ctrl is not the grenade key, so why did bind it to that in NewDoom? *blows self up again by throwing a grenade into a wall*

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Thoughtless posted:

This is the tiniest little issue but it annoys me when developers ship a game with weird non-standard keybindings.

Come on Id, you know that ctrl is not the grenade key, so why did bind it to that in NewDoom? *blows self up again by throwing a grenade into a wall*

Why are you trying to crouch in new doom?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Agent355 posted:

Yeah but IME that point is like halfway through the highest difficulty, which is pretty drat good and lots of builds fall apart without gear by then.

Just gotta focus on base pet skills and debuffs. Also there are ways to deal with pet agro, basically if you touch a button the boss will get mad at you but if you can just not touch buttons the pets will build aggro and keep it, eventually letting you push a button or two.

E: Oh and also worth noting is that Grim Dawn has TONS of cool pet equipment. Historically in ARPG pet builds scale like poo poo and very few items give pet bonuses making gearing them up painful if not impossible. In Grim Dawn there are a ton of items with pet bonuses and many that are specifically designed as cool pet class gear. Enough that you can actually have a choice about what might be best in slot for YOUR pets specifically. There are even pieces of equipment that grant you new summonable pets that are competitively powerful with your actual class pets making certain items incredibly desireable and the entire gearing process way more interactive than something like diablo 2 or Titan Quest.

Torchlight 2 did a great job of making pets useful. You could teach them up to three spells and they had their own equipment slots.

Too bad about the poison swamp level being rear end.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Aleph Null posted:

Torchlight 2 did a great job of making pets useful. You could teach them up to three spells and they had their own equipment slots.

Pretty much all poison swamp levels are rear end

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Why are you trying to crouch in new doom?

There are several narrow places you have to crouch through.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ilmucche posted:

Pretty much all poison swamp levels are rear end

The couple of 'environmental hazard' mini-levels in Witcher 3 when you're jumping through portals were unfun and unnecessary; oh good, a 'poison clouds' level followed by a 'cold damage' level, just what I was looking forward to. I get what they were going for, but swing and a miss.

At least they didn't round out with a 'lava planet' I guess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Also too bad about TL2 kinda sucking.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

As an official ARPG nut I have tried multiple times to get into TL2 and it is always bad, even covering it with mods from the steam workshop doesn't really help.

thing dragging TL2 down: skill scaling

You want to be a fireball wizard? You'd think you should put your points into fireball right? Nah, the damage scales so badly and the mana cost becomes so prohibitive that you really only need a few points in fireball and spend most of your time pumping up boring passives. So you end up with say 1 point in fireball, 1 point in icewall for utility, and then 37 points into passive skills.

Fun and interactive :negative:

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
Playing the PS4 version of Deadpool.
Minor gripe: really ugly, cheap-looking UI.
Bigger gripe: the game hangs and freezes almost constantly. It's seriously around every 30 seconds in some areas of the game. What the gently caress. Is it a bad port or something?
The combat is quite fun but it's so much less satisfying when the game grinds to a dead halt for a couple of seconds mid-fight.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

As an official ARPG nut I have tried multiple times to get into TL2 and it is always bad, even covering it with mods from the steam workshop doesn't really help.

thing dragging TL2 down: skill scaling

You want to be a fireball wizard? You'd think you should put your points into fireball right? Nah, the damage scales so badly and the mana cost becomes so prohibitive that you really only need a few points in fireball and spend most of your time pumping up boring passives. So you end up with say 1 point in fireball, 1 point in icewall for utility, and then 37 points into passive skills.

Fun and interactive :negative:
I ran through the entire game the one time I played with a very broken cannon skill and ended up with like a 60 percent stun chance. I did some maps 60 levels higher than me and then quit.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Flood loving suck so loving hard.

Hey guys lets have a zombie horde villain. But let's also give them loving shotguns, ROCKET LAUNCHERS, and loving grenades. Also let's have so many on screen that it is literally impossible to tell who has what weapon, and running? Pfft gently caress that, let's shove em into tight hallways so they block you in and kill you instantly with shotguns and melee.

I've died on one section at least 50 drat times. I'm low on health and you have to sacrifice your shield to blow up some generator. Then you get killed instantly from the 5 billion zombies with loving shotguns.

The absolute WORST is you almost manage to make it when OOPS gently caress YOU ONE TOSSED A GRENADE AND KILLED YOU gently caress YOU GO BACK.

WHY WOULD YOU GIVE THEM ON HIT KILL WEAPONS!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!? This wouldn't be NEARLY as hard if I didn't run an 89% chance of getting shotgunned in the back or blown up instantly.

The Flood is one of the biggest reasons why I think ODST and Reach are the only good Halo games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The first time the Flood appear in the game is so memorable because they're referred to in almost hushed tones by the game as if they're some kinda Lovecraftian horror. Then your motion tracker, which up until then has only had maybe a few red blips for every encounter with the Covenant because you only had small skirmishes with them at the time, is completely red and it's by that time that you noticed that the entire floor is loving moving.

I would have loved the Flood if they just stayed as the Horde for the entire series and didn't have zombies that could use weapons. The real threats are the walking spawnsacs that sneak up on you and detonate just when you realize they've crept up on you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I'm glad I emulated Final Mix because savestate abuse blows a hole in most of the new enemies' gimmicks.

There is still no excuse for Sniperwild.

I did that before and I am 100% certain now that I just used cheat engine or something to give myself the materials needed to make the ultima weapon so I Could beat the bonus bosses because there's no way ,even as a kid, I was dumb enough to do all this legit. I've given up on it because it's just not fun.

Morpheus posted:

I recently platinumed that game
:shepface: I was going to. But then I realized I'd have to do a ton of grinding to get all the materials to make EXP items just so I could grind so I could get the abilities needed to do the grinding proper to get the materials needed to make the ultima weapon. I think the only game, to date, I've cleared 100% of achivements for has been Dark Souls 2.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought about it but yeah I'm good on the grinding. I didn't hate myself that much as a kid I certainly don't now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

The first time the Flood appear in the game is so memorable because they're referred to in almost hushed tones by the game as if they're some kinda Lovecraftian horror. Then your motion tracker, which up until then has only had maybe a few red blips for every encounter with the Covenant because you only had small skirmishes with them at the time, is completely red and it's by that time that you noticed that the entire floor is loving moving.

I would have loved the Flood if they just stayed as the Horde for the entire series and didn't have zombies that could use weapons. The real threats are the walking spawnsacs that sneak up on you and detonate just when you realize they've crept up on you.

It'd be fun if they largely ignored weapons but every now and then there was one that decided to be sapient and try to evolve and pick up a gun or something and just ends up blowing themselves and some allies up for their trouble.

Never able to hit you though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Most of the sound design in Half-Life 2 is really good but that one headcrab zombie whose cry is just the second-most well known stock scream on earth sped up a little is the most :effort: thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhqAcCoSBQ

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

1stGear posted:

Yeah, its so far behind us now that its hard to remember specifics, but some of the biggest complainers were literally complaining about how the game was too brightly lit.

"Just smear some dirt over everything, that's how art works."

Just push it a bit in the other direction

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So does Grim Dawn pick up after the first section? Slogging through very samey :spooky: swamps for hours isn't really that fun.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

So does Grim Dawn pick up after the first section? Slogging through very samey :spooky: swamps for hours isn't really that fun.

Depends what you don't like. There's a lot more variety in areas as you go on, enemies get a bit more interesting and there are some neat gimmicks like weird distortion fields and stuff, but on the other hand, the areas are all pretty huge and all start feeling samey after a while.

I've tried a few times to get into Grim Dawn, but each time I get bored about halfway through because I end up feeling bored of using the same 4 or 5 abilities over and over for hours on end. I know you can respec, but you're still stuck using the same classes, and typically all your gear and stuff will be set to work with certain skills. There's no point in respeccing from Fire abilities into Ice abilities if all your gear gives +X% Fire damage bonuses.

What I really liked about Diablo 3 is that if I got bored of using an ability, I could fairly painlessly just swap it for another one, so I never felt stuck in a particular build. With end-game gear sets, it stops working so well since you're gear pushes you hard into using particular skills, but that really only felt like a problem at the very end stages of the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Watching Joey/FaerieFortune's Spyro stream reminded me - I always considered the dragons pissing off Gnasty Gnorc to be their bad, not his. His retribution was too harsh of course, no excuse for that but they did just call him stupid and ugly live on air on a broadcast to the entire realm. That's slander, Gnasty is well within his rights to sue them for that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Diablo 3 again: i cant get no monster kills cause the wizard friend I'm playing with just loving melts everything with the piercing melting beam right as I jump into a group of enemies. well...at least i can summon some barbarian friends, i guess!

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

spit on my clit posted:

Diablo 3 again: i cant get no monster kills cause the wizard friend I'm playing with just loving melts everything with the piercing melting beam right as I jump into a group of enemies. well...at least i can summon some barbarian friends, i guess!

That's a problem with the whole genre, really. ARPGs are rarely balanced for multiple players (especially multiple players with any sort of level disparity) so whoever can hit the enemies first gets to have the most fun. If you can crank the difficulty up any higher, I'd suggest that. It was how we found the fun when playing it co-op a while back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

New Butt Order posted:

That's a problem with the whole genre, really. ARPGs are rarely balanced for multiple players (especially multiple players with any sort of level disparity) so whoever can hit the enemies first gets to have the most fun. If you can crank the difficulty up any higher, I'd suggest that. It was how we found the fun when playing it co-op a while back.

This is why Gauntlet Dark Legacy was the best game and they should just HD remake it to every available console. It was a long rear end game where everyone did basically the same attack and same damage. Fighting over who shot that food was good times.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oldstench posted:

As the other guy said it depends what you really dislike. ARPGs aren't for everybody and if you aren't feeling the general swing of the game they may not really be your bag. For me I think the enjoyment curve works sorta like this.

In the early game I enjoy levleing up super quickly, I spend time thinking about what classes I wanna be and pick a bunch of different skills to try out and see if I can find what feels best.

As the levels start to go up and I don't get to play with as many points I tend to focus down to one or two skills and decide what I'm going to be getting up next.

Then it starts to turn into a matter of gearing up around level 30-40 ish when gear starts to matter as much as your skills (before level 20 you can basically be naked aside from weapon based classes who need a relatively current weapon).

Late game is about hitting certain milestones in skills and perfecting the gear. Then I either decide that 'man I love this character, lets see if I can conquer the uber bosses and ultra hard content with him' or if he's grown stale and it's time to start a new dude.

The first time I played through the game there was also a great deal of exploration, there are legitimately hidden areas in the game and entire quest lines to find sealed off behind breakable walls and hidden pathways and those were fun to ferret out the first few times I played.

That said 'spoopy swamps' generally sounds like up to the underground river area and after that you aren't really in spoopy swamps anymore. The entire game has that grim grey scale shading and cthulu-esque setting though, so you will just be in spoopy towns and spoopy farmlands instead of spoopy swamps. If you aren't feeling it already you might just be trying to enjoy a flavor of game that isn't for you.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
There's such a laundry list of things wrong with Watch Dogs 2 that it really is hard to choose one or a couple, so I'll just say the thing dragging the game down are Ubisoft themselves. Kudos for making it a slight improvement over the first Watch Dogs. But the emphasis really is on "slight".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

There's such a laundry list of things wrong with Watch Dogs 2 that it really is hard to choose one or a couple, so I'll just say the thing dragging the game down are Ubisoft themselves. Kudos for making it a slight improvement over the first Watch Dogs. But the emphasis really is on "slight".

It doesnt have a plot where the word Uncle was find->replaced for Dad so it at minimum has a vastly improved story.