Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

Er... yes? If you're not interested in the story what happened I do not understand why you are playing the game "Her Story" in the first place.

I think they meant within the context of the game. Not the player themselves, but why is the player avatar (such as it is in a game like that) doing this within the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Puppy Time posted:

Er... yes? If you're not interested in the story what happened I do not understand why you are playing the game "Her Story" in the first place.

I was talking about the character you play as. Why are they looking at archive footage (that's pointlessly fragmented, to boot) if the case has already been solved? Why are they there?

quote:

It's not uncommon for a police interviewer to try to build a rapport with the subject in order to get better information.

To a certain extent, yes, but the song was just over the top. It's even goofier considering it's only there because the actress sings in a band. It's just as shoe-horned in in reality as it is in the game.

quote:

I mean obviously it's not the game for you, but it's not exactly a bad game for that.

I would play a game like this if it were written by somebody who is better at writing. Sam Barlow is not a good writer, and I didn't like the story he wrote or way he used the framing device.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

financially racist posted:

excuse me but contradiction: spot the liar was awesome as gently caress and i am all for more fmv games like that one :colbert:

Oh no I was fine with Contradiction, game was cute as hell and the people didn't feel like robots.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

financially racist posted:

excuse me but contradiction: spot the liar was awesome as gently caress and i am all for more fmv games like that one :colbert:

My fiancé played that game and loved it. I'd be interested to play it, personally.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yardbomb posted:

Oh no I was fine with Contradiction, game was cute as hell and the people didn't feel like robots.

oh ok, i thought you were making GBS threads on modern fmv games as a whole

TheMaestroso posted:

My fiancé played that game and loved it. I'd be interested to play it, personally.

do it and don't spoil yourself on anything, it's a fun ride with a few hiccups and some fuckin amazing acting

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Contradiction is the greatest FMV game ever made, it is the pinnacle of the genre of camp FMV acting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I watched the Giantbomb guys play through it and I bought it for my mother who likes those kind of mystery games. She beat it in two days and really enjoyed it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't played Her Story yet (I do have a copy of it, though), but when I heard what it was about, I was reminded of In the 1st Degree.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm assuming that screencap is from a French language video and that's NOT a matter of David Cage being so pretentious he calls himself a "productuer". Right? Riiight? :stonklol:

David Cage: Dreamweaver, Visionary, plus Actor.

TheMaestroso posted:

I was talking about the character you play as. Why are they looking at archive footage (that's pointlessly fragmented, to boot) if the case has already been solved? Why are they there?

This is explained, but so late in the game that it feels like an afterthought. It also denies the reality of how weird and voyeuristic it is to pore over the details of a stranger's life.

I expected that game to feel like it accomplished something more than just "here is a twist that would be tired in any other medium", but it never did.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wow, William Dafoe is an eerily perfect Ryuk. Shame Light's nowhere near what he's supposed to be like though, so I'm guessing they're going to make him a tragic protagonist tempted by evil or something.

Light Yagami didn't even need a push from Ryuk, he just goes right to murdering bad guys with a stroke of his pen the moment that notebook falls into his possession. By the time Ryuk does pop up to say hello, Light's already filled five pages with names and isn't at all surprised by the Death God suddenly floating in his bedroom.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't mind this adaptation going in a different direction with some things, it's probably better that way than to directly adapt the manga again.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Internet critic Mother’s Basement recently did an analysis of one of the adaptation’s trailers. Long story short: he’s optimistic, and I agree with him. Changes from the original aren’t necessarily a bad thing, especially if they improve on Mia/Misa’s character.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't mind them making changes per se, but it would be a mistake to make Light at all sympathetic. That he's not is kind of key to the story.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
the only thing that's key to the story is the actual Death Note.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah you literally can't make a death note story were the protagonist is sympathetic or you fall into the punisher trap.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SleepCousinDeath posted:

the only thing that's key to the story is the actual Death Note.

Yep. The original creators of the series once did a whole one-shot manga starring a completely different character. The only similarities to the original are the Death Note itself and Ryuk showing up.

So yeah, I don't care what they change in this adaptation. The original authors already beat them to it. If I want to watch the original Death Note, guess what... I will. It's not like Netflix erased it from time itself or anything.

E:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah you literally can't make a death note story were the protagonist is sympathetic or you fall into the punisher trap.

Given the general trajectory of the story of DN, I don't imagine Netflix Light staying sympathetic for long. It seems like a hook to get you invested in the character before watching him turn into a monster.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 22, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This might be slightly old news, but SF Debris has temporarily reopened the donation/request box (specifically to 'fill out' stuff in progress/planned as well as repeatedly requested items - see the list).

If I had the cash to spare, I'd put in an order for some stuff. Wanna see him tackle Gravity Falls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The problem is they still seem to want to hit the same Light vs L beats, and that doesn't work if it's all something Light is doing reluctantly. Part of what made Death Note so good was you couldn't completely root for one or the other, because your protagonist was very much the unashamed villain of the piece. It'd be like a Hannibal Lecter that regretted being a cannibal and wishing he was normal person.

nine-gear crow posted:

Given the general trajectory of the story of DN, I don't imagine Netflix Light staying sympathetic for long. It seems like a hook to get you invested in the character before watching him turn into a monster.

That's what I'm hoping for too. My only other minor gripe is the titular Death Note being an old leather-bound tome. Part of the original being a simple ordinary-looking college-ruled workbook is the element of doubt it instills at first glance. You've got to really want to take a life if you think this simple college notebook might somehow actually work. I mean, look at it, it's a joke... right?...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Not really responding to anyone, just remembering hearing on a podcast one of the hosts compared Light to Tyler Durden.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Testekill posted:

He's honestly running out of the batshit insane anime that were prevalent during the OVA boom. I would however like to see some series retrospectives like what he's currently doing with Bubblegum Crisis.

I'd honestly like more retrospective stuff (You could make one easily on all of the Tenchi Muyo/Slayers stuff) or him to review newer anime than hentai bargain basement crap that just lends itself to just a barrage of smutty tired jokes in the end. He could go look at some of the crappy DBZ movies or the glut of Gundam material released in the nineties. Anything but lousy hentai poo poo.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Yvonmukluk posted:

This might be slightly old news, but SF Debris has temporarily reopened the donation/request box (specifically to 'fill out' stuff in progress/planned as well as repeatedly requested items - see the list).

If I had the cash to spare, I'd put in an order for some stuff. Wanna see him tackle Gravity Falls.

Hopefully he finishes the DS9 and Babylon 5 reviews before he starts delving into requests...

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

That's actually the ending reveal and it's a kind of neat little thing.

The player is the offspring of one of the ladies (it's not revealed who) and is looking into what their mother was like and why she was involved in the murder.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yep. The original creators of the series once did a whole one-shot manga starring a completely different character. The only similarities to the original are the Death Note itself and Ryuk showing up.

So yeah, I don't care what they change in this adaptation. The original authors already beat them to it. If I want to watch the original Death Note, guess what... I will. It's not like Netflix erased it from time itself or anything.

I mean the one-shot kinda contradicts you since it's a single chapter of a normal kid trying it out and going "what the poo poo no undo it undo it!"

The latest Japanese live action movie has new characters with the Death Note but I'm waiting on it to come overseas so I don't know how they handle it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

The player is the offspring of one of the ladies (it's not revealed who) and is looking into what their mother was like and why she was involved in the murder.

A lot of people hated that because the writer used the exact same twist at the end of his last game, too.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

I guess my brain keeps wanting to forget how awful that ending is, jeeez.

It still begs the question as to why they couldn't get access to unedited/fragmented footage. They also have to figure out which sister is talking in which clips, because they're helpfully unlabeled. Seems to me that the department is completely incompetent regarding documentation and archival protocols.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I mean the one-shot kinda contradicts you since it's a single chapter of a normal kid trying it out and going "what the poo poo no undo it undo it!"

The latest Japanese live action movie has new characters with the Death Note but I'm waiting on it to come overseas so I don't know how they handle it.

This is like bringing up extended universe novels when discussing star wars movies

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM
Man the tribute that Jay edited at the end of the Martin Re:view is really touching, you can tell how hard Romero's death has hit him.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

It still begs the question as to why they couldn't get access to unedited/fragmented footage. They also have to figure out which sister is talking in which clips, because they're helpfully unlabeled. Seems to me that the department is completely incompetent regarding documentation and archival protocols.

For the same reason that you can't climb over the rocks at the edge of the map in other games. For the same reason that you can't just shoot off the locks of locked doors. For the same reason that protagonists of shooty games don't die from perforation. Sometimes you just accept that the mechanics require the game to not be 100% reality. I mean, it's a goofy conceit, but no worse than most other video games. :shrug:

I mean I'm not saying it's a perfect thing, but I felt like it was fine for what it was trying to do, and awesome in terms of how it played with the narrative you can do with games.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I feel like pointing out more of the absurdity of Death Note's setup, that the Note isn't just a regular college ruled notebook, but also has instructions, including time limits and contingencies, written on the inside cover.

Also the only detail that I care about them keeping is Ryuk taunting Light's delusions that he's special, outright saying that he sent the book to Earth because he's bored.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FoldableHuman posted:

I feel like pointing out more of the absurdity of Death Note's setup, that the Note isn't just a regular college ruled notebook, but also has instructions, including time limits and contingencies, written on the inside cover.

Also the only detail that I care about them keeping is Ryuk taunting Light's delusions that he's special, outright saying that he sent the book to Earth because he's bored.

It's a stated thing that Ryuk wrote the rules in himself, just to keep things interesting.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a stated thing that Ryuk wrote the rules in himself, just to keep things interesting.

Yea I don't give a poo poo about Light, I just want them to get some proper Ryuk "gently caress you, gently caress humans, gently caress earth, I literally don't give a poo poo what you think makes you special or your lives I tossed this magic death book at you because it was fuckin funny and I add rules and poo poo to make it interesting not because there's some divine plan"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I don't give a poo poo about Light, I just want them to get some proper Ryuk "gently caress you, gently caress humans, gently caress earth, I literally don't give a poo poo what you think makes you special or your lives I tossed this magic death book at you because it was fuckin funny and I add rules and poo poo to make it interesting not because there's some divine plan"

That's too aggressive for Ryuk, it makes it sounds like he actively hates humanity when in reality he couldn't give less of a gently caress. The only things he cares about are being entertained, and eating apples. Not necessarily in that order.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alacron posted:

That's too aggressive for Ryuk, it makes it sounds like he actively hates humanity when in reality he couldn't give less of a gently caress. The only things he cares about are being entertained, and eating apples. Not necessarily in that order.

yea true he doesn't really actively think 'gently caress humans' it's more 'why do you keep rambling about how cool and superior to others you are my dude, you just happened to find the toy I dropped to see what would happen'.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Alacron posted:

The only things he cares about are being entertained, and eating apples. Not necessarily in that order.
He's not wrong, earth apples are delicious.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

He's not wrong, earth apples are delicious.

Especially when shinigami apples look like shriveled green peppers and taste like sand.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Quick, someone pay him money to review Millenium with Lance Henriksen!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Posting something I got linked to in another thread: I Don't Even Own A Television. It's a podcast reviewing bad books. They cover some notably bad books like Ready Player One, Outlaw of Gor, and The DaVinci Code. I don't listen to podcasts as much I used to, and I'm not willing to listen to anyone who thinks Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is a bad book, but I thought I'd share it for anyone who's interested.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MonsieurChoc posted:

Quick, someone pay him money to review Millenium with Lance Henriksen!
Not on the list of approved stuff, so that'd just be a waste of money.

That full list:

quote:

Donations for $50 for two episodes of:

Planetes 13-26
Gravity Falls Season 1 Episodes
Beast Wars
Clone Wars

Donations for $50 for one episode of:

Battlestar Galactica (original)
Battlestar Galactica: Act of Contrition
Dr. Who: (Face The Raven or Hell Bent)

Donations for $100 for one episode of:

The Lost Room (2-3)
V: The Final Battle

Donations for $175 for one film:

Star Trek: Beyond
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Donations for $400 for one game:

SWTOR: Bounty Hunter
SWTOR: Sith Warrior
The Walking Dead Season 1 (Telltale)
Does also provide some insight into what is coming down the pipes (eventually).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not on the list of approved stuff, so that'd just be a waste of money.

Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Raycevik digs into Spec Ops: The Line... 5 Years Later.
I love this guy's videos. But man, I forgot about how heady this game got.

• Locked thread