Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw your life sucks because youre not actually jesus and cant turn water into beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

the ultimate hipster drink is vermouth on the rocks

that's some bill Murray poo poo right there

https://youtu.be/jHklKfiyKx0

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so pharmacologically.. ethanol.. it's a little bit hard to study compared to other drugs because while it does bind to a lot of receptors its purely through flinging poo poo at a wall

first of all lets look at how non potent it is. potency is the measure of a drug to have an effect based on the amount given. LSD and fentanyl are extremely potent (active in the 10-100s microgram ranges). acetiminophen/paracetamol is probably the least potent drug most people know, with doses of 4g in a day..

alcohol? one standard drink itself is already 10g.. and so half a doz beers? looking at 60-70grams of drugs??? that is an INSANE volume of drug for your body to work through

this is why alcohol doesnt have a half life as such.. well technically it does but you exceed half life of ethanol very early on, youve saturated the enzymes so they are always working at 100% and in an average person can chew through maybe 10g an hour? these are liver enzymes which is why its so hard on the liver. it gets converted to energy amongst other things which contribues to fatty liver.. enzyme induction means those that drink a lot will have more of the enzymes that metabolise alcohol so theyll siober up faster and be less hungover

absorption - most drugs rely on some form of transport across the cell walls. as far as I know alcohol isnt transported over the cell wall but moves directly through it due to it being lipid soluble. this means alcohol is absorbed everywhere, rather than having to wait to get into the intestine.. yes alcohol is absorbed through the stomach lining and hence can start to enter the bloodstream within like 7 minutes after druinking? thats insane

receptor wise what does it bind to? well, like I mentioned before you are putting such huge volumes that are in the bloodstream it tends to bind to everything.. ugh.. largely the depressive parts of the CNS. its also a solvent so its posited that it actually also disrupts neurological signalling through interfering with neuronal cell walls

but because of its very nature its a bit harder to study with the models we use to study otehr drugs and as far as receptor affinities etc

and ethanol is generally what we think of when we think alcohol but something to be aware of I guess is that the microbes that turn whatever into alcohol dont make 100% ethanol but also methanol as the msot significant secondary alcohol but also a whole host of short chained alcohols.. ugh.. and most of these chemicals will have similar pharmacological effects but their metabolites will be significantly differently (this is how methanol is bad) and will lead to tragic hangovers

i saw a sign at a bar that said that intoxicated people will be served food to reduce the effect of alcohol but there is no basis as far as I can tell for food being able to "soak up" alcohol, and in fact fatty food probably "ties up" the liver a bit and I suspect it would make you metabolise alcohol slower.. the only positive effect food will have on drinking is that youre likely to drink slower when youre full. there is no interaction between food and alcohol or even a significant effect on alcohol absorption that would imply eating "helps"

studies have been done to see if there is any way to reduce hangovers.. the evidence points to there being only one method that works - drink less. and ill add to that and say drink higher quality too, due to what I mentioned about alcohols other than ethanol. water helps maybe? but rehyudrating is easy and hangovers are barely just dehydration

ethanol metabolism forces paracetamol/acetimonphen metabolism down a pathway which creates a hepatoxic metabolite so this is why we say dont take it when drinking or after to kill pain.. itll murder ya liver. just take ibuprofen and the risk there is if youre dehydrated

just a fact or two lmao

-

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 22, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drink instead of having dinner. thats my primary advice. because being drunk might be unattractive but being fat and drunk??

img spew on self goon dot jay peg

can someone please post that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

so pharmacologically.. ethanol.. it's a little bit hard to study compared to other drugs because while it does bind to a lot of receptors its purely through flinging poo poo at a wall

first of all lets look at how non potent it is. potency is the measure of a drug to have an effect based on the amount given. LSD and fentanyl are extremely potent (active in the 10-100s microgram ranges). acetiminophen/paracetamol is probably the least potent drug most people know, with doses of 4g in a day..

alcohol? one standard drink itself is already 10g.. and so half a doz beers? looking at 60-70grams of drugs??? that is an INSANE volume of drug for your body to work through

this is why alcohol doesnt have a half life as such.. well technically it does but you exceed half life of ethanol very early on, youve saturated the enzymes so they are always working at 100% and in an average person can chew through maybe 10g an hour? these are liver enzymes which is why its so hard on the liver. it gets converted to energy amongst other things which contribues to fatty liver.. enzyme induction means those that drink a lot will have more of the enzymes that metabolise alcohol so theyll siober up faster and be less hungover

absorption - most drugs rely on some form of transport across the cell walls. as far as I know alcohol isnt transported over the cell wall but moves directly through it due to it being lipid soluble. this means alcohol is absorbed everywhere, rather than having to wait to get into the intestine.. yes alcohol is absorbed through the stomach lining and hence can start to enter the bloodstream within like 7 minutes after druinking? thats insane

receptor wise what does it bind to? well, like I mentioned before you are putting such huge volumes that are in the bloodstream it tends to bind to everything.. ugh.. largely the depressive parts of the CNS. its also a solvent so its posited that it actually also disrupts neurological signalling through interfering with neuronal cell walls

but because of its very nature its a bit harder to study with the models we use to study otehr drugs and as far as receptor affinities etc

and ethanol is generally what we think of when we think alcohol but something to be aware of I guess is that the microbes that turn whatever into alcohol dont make 100% ethanol but also methanol as the msot significant secondary alcohol but also a whole host of short chained alcohols.. ugh.. and most of these chemicals will have similar pharmacological effects but their metabolites will be significantly differently (this is how methanol is bad) and will lead to tragic hangovers

i saw a sign at a bar that said that intoxicated people will be served food to reduce the effect of alcohol but there is no basis as far as I can tell for food being able to "soak up" alcohol, and in fact fatty food probably "ties up" the liver a bit and I suspect it would make you metabolise alcohol slower.. the only positive effect food will have on drinking is that youre likely to drink slower when youre full. there is no interaction between food and alcohol or even a significant effect on alcohol absorption that would imply eating "helps"

studies have been done to see if there is any way to reduce hangovers.. the evidence points to there being only one method that works - drink less. and ill add to that and say drink higher quality too, due to what I mentioned about alcohols other than ethanol. water helps maybe? but rehyudrating is easy and hangovers are barely just dehydration

ethanol metabolism forces paracetamol/acetimonphen metabolism down a pathway which creates a hepatoxic metabolite so this is why we say dont take it when drinking or after to kill pain.. itll murder ya liver. just take ibuprofen and the risk there is if youre dehydrated

just a fact or two lmao

-

please continue to post like this whenever baby-shaggar up there accuses you of not knowing how drugs work. lmao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky

(had to choose whiskey as there was no whisky option)

also gotta second the suggestion of Lagavulin 16

also Springbank 15 and Hazelburn 12 are both quite good

and lol if you don't have the Glenmorangie trinity in your cabinet: La Santa, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar D'Or

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

echinopsis posted:

what's it called when you really want a drink tonight but you don't have one

Responsible driving?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have to say that was a good echi post

Also I have never drank a glenmorangie anything

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky

(had to choose whiskey as there was no whisky option)

also gotta second the suggestion of Lagavulin 16

also Springbank 15 and Hazelburn 12 are both quite good

and lol if you don't have the Glenmorangie trinity in your cabinet: La Santa, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar D'Or

lol @ liquor hoarders who have more than 2 kinds of scotch (expensive and cheap)

just drink it, there's more at the store m8 :)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Poopernickel posted:

lol @ liquor hoarders who have more than 2 kinds of scotch (expensive and cheap)

just drink it, there's more at the store m8 :)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

echinopsis posted:

drink instead of having dinner. thats my primary advice. because being drunk might be unattractive but being fat and drunk??

img spew on self goon dot jay peg

can someone please post that

i do this every now and then and i can tell u you its not gr8, u end up more hungover usually

always fucken eat when ur drinkin

fwiw im very thin

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

qhat posted:

Drug seeking behaviour

Captain Foo posted:

you're an alcoholic m8

no alcoholic shaming itt

unless ur drinking like, 1L of spirits a day in which case ok thats bad

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
i have over 200 bottles of rare beer in my basement that will most likely to to waste because my beer club stopped meeting and there is no way i am drinking all these 10%+ beers by myself.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

what is good to drink: alcohol

lots of it

Poopernickel posted:

let's play a drinking game

step 1: drink
step 2: GOTO step 1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lyon posted:

i have over 200 bottles of rare beer in my basement that will most likely to to waste because my beer club stopped meeting and there is no way i am drinking all these 10%+ beers by myself.

weakling

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
just give them away to your friends/family

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sham bam bamina! posted:

just give them away to me

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
also they are mostly bourbon barrel aged stouts and it is hot as gently caress out right now, i will probably drink them in the fall/winter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lyon posted:

also they are mostly bourbon barrel aged stouts and it is hot as gently caress out right now, i will probably drink them in the fall/winter

ok that's legit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i do this every now and then and i can tell u you its not gr8, u end up more hungover usually

always fucken eat when ur drinkin

fwiw im very thin

analyse the drinking and tell me if the difference is only the presence of food or if you drink more/quicker when you don't eat?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've noticed that i do feel more messed up when i drink without having eaten in a while, but i always assumed it was just compounding the effects of the booze and low blood sugar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i guess that's possible.. the biggest risk when children and infants drink is hypoglycaemia, gluconeogenesis, the process where the liver creates glucose to maintain blood glucose levels stops or slows down in the presence of alcohol metabolism

it's interesting for me as a diabetic because when i drink my blood sugars don't go up despite all the glucose in the beer i drink

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
I have some kracken rum that i should probably drink before i move in a few days but the only mixer in the house is some flat coke. can you drink just rum and ice? i have some limes too

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

echinopsis posted:

i guess that's possible.. the biggest risk when children and infants drink is hypoglycaemia, gluconeogenesis, the process where the liver creates glucose to maintain blood glucose levels stops or slows down in the presence of alcohol metabolism

it's interesting for me as a diabetic because when i drink my blood sugars don't go up despite all the glucose in the beer i drink

i thought you were going to fast until your pancreas was reset?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

a very small horse posted:

I have some kracken rum that i should probably drink before i move in a few days but the only mixer in the house is some flat coke. can you drink just rum and ice? i have some limes too

pour yourself a rum and rum

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Poopernickel posted:

pour yourself a rum and rum

This is very dangerous and the mixture could be flammable!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Freeze the rum into tiny ice cubes and swallow them whole.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

can vs should

make limeade with some sugar and mix with that I guess

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
back in my day, when men were men,

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Freeze the rum into tiny ice cubes and swallow them whole.

ethanol freezes at -114C so you might wanna put 911 on speed-dial

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

angry_keebler posted:

i thought you were going to fast until your pancreas was reset?

that was a good idea

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

l'chaim, saturday nite drinks thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i drank half a doz and fell asleep in front of the fire and now i'm cooking oats for the kids

god bless drinking

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i drank half a doz and fell asleep in front of the fire and now i'm cooking oats for the kids

god bless drinking
you sound like the fuckup dad from little house on the prairie

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

I got 2 bottles of this red wine I like for €6 total today, god bless buy one get free offers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

you sound like the fuckup dad from little house on the prairie

:smugmrgw:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
about to see jurassic park with the philadelphia orchestra playing the score and brought a sixer of blood orange gose and a sixer of a session ipa. going to get rowdy with the dinosaurs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i'm going to a party tongiht, gonna drink a buncha beers but i haven't decided what yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you've decided that you are going to and that's all that matters