Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shinjobi posted:

Valerian blows

So I've heard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It is with a heavy heart I must report that Valerian is a visually stunning film with fantastic humor but the romantic subplot is literally the worst I've ever seen in a film and Cara Divalinguine is a loving black hole of charisma and the main dude is almost equally awful.

The audience loving groaned out loud at the ending. loving abysmal.

I'm extremely disappointed. I love Luc Besson.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

khwarezm posted:

Every Despicable Me movie is forgettable crap.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

khwarezm posted:

Every Despicable Me movie is forgettable crap.

I remember enjoying 2 enough, though I remember nothing about it. Exception that proves the rule?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Cara Divalinguine is a loving black hole of charisma

LMAO I just remembered in the theater I was thinking "I bet she turns out to be a robot this dude is crushing on, and that's why her acting is weirdly stiff and unnatural".

NOPE!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

General Dog posted:

I remember enjoying 2 enough, though I remember nothing about it. Exception that proves the rule?

Well, you're halfway there.

Megamind was a film with a similar premise (what if we follow the bad guy?! Which itself is kind of a well worn concept in kids media but whatever) that came out around the same time as the first Despicable Me movie but did almost everything better and with some novel spins and plot developments I didn't expect. It was also way funnier and was willing to make its main character much more of a genuine dickhead but a funny dickhead at that who had some real development. I don't like its art style though, but the Despicable Me movies aren't really good in that area either.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

Well, you're halfway there.

Megamind was a film with a similar premise (what if we follow the bad guy?! Which itself is kind of a well worn concept in kids media but whatever) that came out around the same time as the first Despicable Me movie but did almost everything better and with some novel spins and plot developments I didn't expect. It was also way funnier and was willing to make its main character much more of a genuine dickhead but a funny dickhead at that who had some real development. I don't like its art style though, but the Despicable Me movies aren't really good in that area either.

But minions. Where would millions of idiot bitch fuckers get their Facebook and JIRA avatars from without minions?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DM is a story of a super villain who becomes a father and learns to love his family. It's a great flick.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waltzing Along posted:

DM is a story of a super villain who becomes a father and learns to love his family. It's a great flick.

Gru is the worst super villain. He doesn't even do anything particularly bad, he's just sort of grumpy, and then he's not because the film throws three cute little girls who don't really have any characterization beyond one adjective but the audience claps and goes awww because we're trained seals at this point and Despicable me films are buckets of chum being thrown in our faces.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Despicable Me 1 was a nice story about a non-standard family with a single parent and Despicable Me 2 kinda shat over that because the girls wanted a mom and then Despicable Me 3 went on this weird tangent with an unknown twin brother and the daughters accepting what'sherface as their mom and I will bet you anything Despicable Me 4 will be about Gru and what'sherface conceiving a child of their own and the adoptive daughters having to deal with that

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Love too chum the water for seals.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Megamind is my test Blu-Ray and DVD at work and I never watched it from start to end but I have seen enough of the movie in 30 second intervals, out of order, to piece it all together.

The character designs are terrible.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

counterfeitsaint posted:

97% of movies that come out;
Goons: Uh, it's just this recycled loving garbage again. Reboots and sequels and cinematic universes are the worst why is this all the comes out?

3% of movies that come out;
Goons: :smuggo: :smuggo: Oh look, an unknown property, how quaint. :smuggo: :smuggo: It's so obvious this would fail how could anyone be so retarded as you go watch this movie? :smuggo: :smuggo:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Megamind was decent, and I also enjoyed some of the directions that they chose to go in plotwise. I'd rather have another Ratatouille than more Despicable Me's.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

Despicable Me 1 was a nice story about a non-standard family with a single parent and Despicable Me 2 kinda shat over that because the girls wanted a mom and then Despicable Me 3 went on this weird tangent with an unknown twin brother and the daughters accepting what'sherface as their mom and I will bet you anything Despicable Me 4 will be about Gru and what'sherface conceiving a child of their own and the adoptive daughters having to deal with that

I thought that poo poo was about a shameful Jewish spongebob special needs guy. :shrug:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I have no opinion on Valerian, I just wish they would have adapted the Wake/Sillage french comics instead.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Despicable Me was a great movie idk what ya'll are on about. It was a heart-warming movie about parenthood and becoming a better person for your children. Stupid fucks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish RLM would review some animated stuff rather than constant bad superhero movies. I don't think they have ever done a Pixar film. True, Pixar has gone off the rails but whatever. They could have done Kubo. That was great.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Jay is a great editor. That Romero montage was pure class.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Andro Dunos posted:

Jay is a great editor. That Romero montage was pure class.

:agreed:, that was really nice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
despicable me is a childrens movie for small children
why do so many of you speak about itlike its your fav movie

god drat dorkkd

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Superhero movies are for children and are mostly CG too, there's a fine line between them and finding dory.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
fuckn nerdss

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Some of us are forced to watch children's movies and it's fine to appreciate the good ones, like Despicable Me, and shame the bad ones, like the minions movie.

I enjoy Pixar movies now because I've had to watch all of them with my niece.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like them too but they aren't that great man

I liked Up but the best part was the intro. The rest of it was only just kind of there and cute

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pixar have gone to poo poo and it's tragic.

Toy Story 4?!!! gently caress off

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inside Out was pretty loving good, and in that cool Pixar way where anyone from 4 to 94 can love it (kinda like Wall-E), but everything else they've been churning out lately seems like it's been...uh....less than good.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Inside Out made me tear up a little bit, there have been some Pixar stinkers though like The Good Dinosaur that are so formulaic it makes me sick.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Remember that ad they made before Wall-E where they said that in their initial pitch meeting they had like 4 or 5 awesome story ideas, and that Wall-E was the last of their "main" ones, and at the time it seemed really cool cause it was like "Oh awesome, a story that Pixar has really wanted to do for a while and now they're doing it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuAGE5_fglA

The flip side of that was them basically admitting that they had no original ideas planned for past that point.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish they review some really good movies that aren't super heroes or some sort of super established franchise.

poo poo maybe a foreign film maybe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

I wish they review some really good movies that aren't super heroes or some sort of super established franchise.

They just posted a review of an old George Romero movie, like, hours ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

oohhboy posted:

They should definitely do foreign movies. I could think of a bunch of hosed up Korean movies alone that I think Mike and Jay would love.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

They just posted a review of an old George Romero movie, like, hours ago.

loving lmao.

Like, they did a video on Eraserhead. loving Eraserhead!

And the amazing thing is that their fanbase is big enough that they can get away with it, no other YouTuber could touch this stuff and still pull in a ton of views.

What's the search ranking of "Eraserhead review" loving lmao

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

oohhboy posted:

Most foreign films suck my man

I can be pretty harsh against America but their film industry is unparalleled. Mostly because the most talented dudes from Europe end up in America anyway because the film industry in Europe is so splintered and lovely you can barely make any decent cash there

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

starkebn posted:

Sorry for your garbage thoughts

nah it's objectively true any woman looks better with longer hair. sorry you don't know poo poo. you're probably one of those loads that thinks septum piercings are cute or some poo poo.

Zzulu posted:

god drat dorkkd

i didn't know some random rear end company made them and the minion movies and that they've made some obscene sum of money off of them. also i didn't know how bad and nonsensical they were until i watched that ralph movie guy do a review.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 22, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zzulu posted:

god drat dorkkd

Women also like it for some reason (I mean disproportionally more than men). I had to watch Despicable Me 2 or 3 or whatever the gently caress for that reason. And the theatre was full of parents with children, lonely young women, and seemingly unhappy couples.

I've cut all ties to that woman since then.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is where i learned how insane this poo poo is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KaodqL5OQg

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Saw Valarian and hooooooooooooly poo poo is Dane DeHaan a poo poo casting choice for Valarian. He's supposed to be this cocksure Han Solo type who flies by the seat of his pants, at least that's how everyone around him acts like he is supposed to be. But he's always a super tired, monotone emo kid.

Him and Cara Delevingne have loving zero chemistry. She was alright in her role but holy poo poo like every interaction they have together is so loving cringe worthy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dane Dehaan plays literally every character like he has autism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dane Dehaan plays literally every character like he has autism

I might know why.

• Locked thread