Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
when people started putting You Say Run over Asura's Wrath boss fights or Trunks firing the Galick Gun was when I knew the anime was better

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
You Say Run might actually be the best thing to come out of anime in general

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I got choked up when they played a more tender version of the intro over Todoroki's flashback with his mom.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shere posted:

I got choked up when they played a more tender version of the intro over Todoroki's flashback with his mom.

Deku saving Bakugo and Uraraka gets me everytime, he's so brave I wanna die :kimchi:

I'm also a big fan of the titular track, it plays when All Might shows up and rescues Aizawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrctGu3irw

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Moltrey posted:

when people started putting You Say Run over Asura's Wrath boss fights or Trunks firing the Galick Gun was when I knew the anime was better

This is when it really blew my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvylATYr_6M

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He's just a kid...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Not just the hero themes either, the theme used for when Shigaraki invades the USJ or the Nomus attacking the city last ep with the chanting and sitar is rad as hell too

e: I know some people aren't hot on the new OP and I get it but the higher voice that harmonizes like twice is the goofiest thing and I love it for that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You Say Run is a perfect song and it makes me want season 3 right now because that climax is going to be amazing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We're gonna have to wait at least a year, I think.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The composer also did the music for One Piece Film Gold and it's not super noticeable until the climax of the final battle, when 'Totally Not You Say Run' kicks in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBHWIgQQpc

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this doesnt really work at all though

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm partial to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7fGHEFPZk

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/heroaca_anime/status/887870890506985472

rare cryptid photo of todoroki and bakugo standing next to each other and smiling

(the tweet is that My Hero Academia merch will be at P'PARCO 3 F THE CHARAC SHOP in Ikebukuro and the theme is a summer camping trip)

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 21, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

that looks like an extremely painful way to fish

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah, it works best with anime. I think the Goku Kao Ken v Freiza is my favorite, but the fact that it kinda works for Spiderman (and I really don't like the Tobey Maguire spidey movies) is what really surprises me. Live action even.

Tollymain posted:

:shrug: it makes a meh scene kinda exciting. That counts as "working" to me. It makes everything better.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tollymain posted:

It works if you see it as Spiderman giving it his 100% and going beyond to save a bunch of people like some kind of hero.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Peel posted:

that looks like an extremely painful way to fish
excuse me are u a frog person?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rewatching the dub and in the first episode Bakugo says Deku will never get into U.A. without a Quirk and Deku responds "they actually rescinded that rule in recent times". It probably isn't but I hope that was a little nod that they did it because All Might himself was originally born without a Quirk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

YF-23 posted:

It works if you see it as Spiderman giving it his 100% and going beyond to save a bunch of people like some kind of hero.

You may have heard these words before, but I'll teach you what they really mean

Go beyond, PLUS ULTRAAAAAA

EmmyOk posted:

Rewatching the dub and in the first episode Bakugo says Deku will never get into U.A. without a Quirk and Deku responds "they actually rescinded that rule in recent times". It probably isn't but I hope that was a little nod that they did it because All Might himself was originally born without a Quirk.

That would be very cool :3:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

YF-23 posted:

Yeah I mean what the gently caress, the train scene and the followup up to when the kids give him his mask back is probably one of the best bits of any superhero movie made

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The scene is good, the music tacked on just isn't adding anything to it (because obviously the scene wasn't made to sync up with it, not because the music is bad).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I have to wonder if Midoriya / Deku was at least partially inspired by Rock Lee from Naruto.

Say what you will about Naruto, its definitely flawed, but lots of people have fond memories of that early test arc and in particular the Gaara v Rock Lee fight is generally considered one of the best in the show.

When you look at Deku's abilities and character, he's basically Rock Lee taken from a supporting role and made into the main protagonist.

...heck this has probably come up earlier in the thread eh?

Lots of My Hero Academia seems heavily inspired by other popular anime or even lifted wholesale, but somehow it all comes together in a really great way and still feels pretty unique; maybe because of the western influences.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Probably because a lot of those character concepts go back a lot further than x anime, so of course the same tropes will come up over and over.

Hell, given Deku's both extremely analytical and was flat out given his powers because of his heroic spirit, rather than just "trained really hard," he's a lot more similar to characters in the vein of Captain America than literally any character in Naruto.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
e: wrong thread

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Oh man, that episode was great. Seeing Deku in action with Full Cowl was amazing, and the stuff with Todoroki was really good. Stain is a really interesting villain, he injured Iida not just physically, but ideologically, and TBH I think he really needs that if he's going to live up to the image of his brother that he has in his head.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Great episode, it's really satisfying seeing Deku's movements in animated form. It's weird how this series is allowed to show more blood and violence than Dragon Ball Super.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Stain is a really interesting villain

S-Stain...!

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 22, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It sucks the dub is dropping to a two week delay but on the other hand most dubs are years behind so I'm still very happy with it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh man, that episode was great. Seeing Deku in action with Full Cowl was amazing, and the stuff with Todoroki was really good. Stain is a really interesting villain, he injured Iida not just physically, but ideologically, and TBH I think he really needs that if he's going to live up to the image of his brother that he has in his head.
:yeah:

Getting called out like that has got to hurt like hell.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
some extremely good boys today huh

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/888675332181471232

what if they were bester

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that Ida is basically the same but now with sparkles.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who just noticed that Jiro's hair shine is always drawn as sound waves

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EmmyOk posted:

I like that Ida is basically the same but now with sparkles.

Please tell me I'm not the only person who just noticed that Jiro's hair shine is always drawn as sound waves

Nah, noticed that ages ago, it's a really cool detail.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah they look like a cardiogram. A thing Jiro can do if she doesn't have her amplifier boots from Season 1 is just plug her earphone jacks into something and blast the amplified sound and vibrations of her heartbeat

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also noticed that! Who wouldn't. What and ideot

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I didn't. :j:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
character designs in this manga good.

I don't like Stain's look but that's kinda the whiole point, Spawn Todd McFarlane lookin rear end

I like Todoroki's new outfit a lot more than his last one because it looked super unfinished compared to really everyone else's, though his new one is just a little generic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The name cards were nice when we had come back from a week break, but we really don't need them all the time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked that Deku won the Obstacle Race without using One For All, the show/manga does such a good job of making every victory feel really earned.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fight turned out pretty decent for being post-budget-spectacular. Also wow that's a lot of blood and violence given the time-slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The name cards were nice when we had come back from a week break, but we really don't need them all the time.

It's mostly only a problem for us with subs since translating it takes up so much of the screen.

• Locked thread