Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Best drat gamedev management ever.
Setting unrealistic deadlines where the CEO is humiliated if it isn't reached is great for morale.

I mean, it's pretty great for my morale...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Tokamak posted:

I don't understand why people were doubting this. It's supported by the engine.

So you wouldn't mind linking to the documentation.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

What is it that makes these people completely overlook E:D. Like do they have a piece of radioactive shrapnel in the part of their brain that knows about it?

Like if you showed them a poster and told them to say the name at gun point. "eeeEEEELllliiiaaa- NNNNNOOOOOOOOO ccccchhhhhHRHRRRRRRRIIISSSSSS!" *gun shot*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

Why do three concepts spike almost exactly after 24 hours?

It takes until the next day to get a loan approved.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6osv3k/can_the_game_im_most_passionate_about_please_not/?st=J5ES3A18&sh=1d7cfb11

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

If only there was a safe place for them to discuss SC, some kind of human habitat or a cluster of buildings sometimes called a compound?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

RemindMe! June 30, 2017

RemindMe! 20/7/2017

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Another report and nothing of importance has been completed. You can't keep pushing the individual deadlines back a week forever, guys!

:siren: Calling it now (Derek hand orff!): the release date will not be pushed back any further, but ongoing delays in each area means evocati will be late and last only 4-6 days (far too little to do any meaningful testing). 'Ptu' will take place for 2-3 days (for show) so that 3.0 can be released just within the window. Because of this lack of testing 3.0 will be released to the public as a barely playable mess. CR will walk on stage on gamescom gloating about a successful release and talking about how "everyone's having fun with the new build'. And the shills will smugly talk about how noone should have ever doubted Christ Roberts. Backers and developers will learn nothing from this experience and the cavalcade of disaster will march on. :siren:

Also looks like I missed the boat to sign up for the xcom crew :-(.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

SelenicMartian posted:

Why do three concepts spike almost exactly after 24 hours?

First 24H are elite sperg only sales (also warbond sales where you can only cash in fresh money) second day is CCU wave.

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, it's pretty great for my morale...

:same:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
So why are seemless planetary transitions an amazing thing now? There's several games that do them and I've played kerbal space program so much that it fails to impress me anymore.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ryde posted:

So why are seemless planetary transitions an amazing thing now? There's several games that do them and I've played kerbal space program so much that it fails to impress me anymore.

Because Elite doesn't have them, that's it.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

trucutru posted:

Elite doesn't have them because they are stupid for action based space Sims.

To have anything meaningfully "ww2 esque" in space you need to limit vcaps otherwise people will fly past each other so fast the doppler effect will color shift the light of their t-posing commandos on-board.

Now imagine exiting any remotely astronomically scaled planet or planetoid at the speed of a ww2 Messerschmidt or spitfire. Yeah that doesn't sound like fun in repetition especially if it's part of practically every main gameplay loop.

Elite transitions FTL in system travel into another instance not because it has to... You can transition without it too, but nobody would want to do that honestly more than once to proof it's possible.

Same for star citizens sixtillion kilometers of space. What does it matter that you can travel all that space if 99.99999 percent is empty. You gonna use the fasted method available to cross empty space anyways.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Theory posted:

Elite doesn't have them because they are stupid for action based space Sims.

Yeah, so? It still doesn't have it and SC will. Thus SC > Elite, which is all that matters.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is the game out yet?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Lol that wet spot A/V it's like you are trying to downplay it or something.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kosumo posted:

Lol that wet spot A/V it's like you are trying to downplay it or something.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Stream... good?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Ok, what is that new avatar and what does it mean?

Secondly, it's funny to me that "goons" say

The game is years late. It is.

The game's scope is been knocked down to about 5% of what was promised year ago. It has.

CIG keeps taking assets (or at least archering them). They do.

CIG keeps misleading everyone all the time about pretty much every aspect. They really do.

Why are they even arguing at all? They have absolutely nothing to stand on or argue with other than dreams.

OOOOHH!!! YOU'LL SEE!!! YOU'LLLLL SEEEEEE!!!!

:rolleyes:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ZenMaster posted:

Don't worry about it.

Tune in next time.

The stream is pants shittingly awesome. Maybe.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Goodnight thread, sweet dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gU6TWGynkU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ZenMaster posted:

Secondly, it's funny to me that "goons" say

The game is years late. It is.

The game's scope is been knocked down to about 5% of what was promised year ago. It has.

CIG keeps taking assets (or at least archering them). They do.

CIG keeps misleading everyone all the time about pretty much every aspect. They really do.

Why are they even arguing at all? They have absolutely nothing to stand on or argue with other than dreams.

OOOOHH!!! YOU'LL SEE!!! YOU'LLLLL SEEEEEE!!!!

:rolleyes:

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
is the game out?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I also love how CR's vision is of one of WW2 dogfighting in space, yet he tries to strap turrets on every goddamn fighter he possibly can, remind me again how that went for England?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

ZenMaster posted:

While he was 'streaming' he had a break from Xcom 2 to play some Tekken. While drinking, during this time his Play Station/Twitch set up had a face cam. He may have at sometime forgot he was not playing Xcom 2 and choose the upgrade 'Wet Works' anyway.

It's ok though, no one thought it might be a big deal at all and very little if anything was said.

He went back to Twitch streaming Xcom 2 (without face cam) and apart from what sound like a hair drier in the back ground, it was completely forgotten that anything may or may not have happened.

That new avatar is just him showing off his belt that he is very proud of.

Long story short, join in watching him play Xcom 2 - we had much fun with Goon named squads.

But if he goes to play anything on Pee/S4 (with face cam), you may wish to leave. (unless you are Trump looking to relive your Moscow trip).

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
:yikes:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has reddit archived this?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

While he was 'streaming' he had a break from Xcom 2 to play some Tekken. While drinking, during this time his Play Station/Twitch set up had a face cam. He may have at sometime forgot he was not playing Xcom 2 and choose the upgrade 'Wet Works' anyway.

It's ok though, no one thought it might be a big deal at all and very little if anything was said.

He went back to Twitch streaming Xcom 2 (without face cam) and apart from what sound like a hair drier in the back ground, it was completely forgotten that anything may or may not have happened.

That new avatar is just him showing off his belt that he is very proud of.

Long story short, join in watching him play Xcom 2 - we had much fun with Goon named squads.

But if he goes to play anything on Pee/S4 (with face cam), you may wish to leave. (unless you are Trump looking to relive your Moscow trip).

That's why he killed you! That and being worse than my grandma at Xcom. Granted, my grandma plays mostly sober. Mostly.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Star Citizen: Built using Tumbril's proprietary new Smart-Technology

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Thoatse posted:

Weekend At Full Bernie's

:eyepop:

Hamled
Sep 11, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Today's AtV. We're getting more than 15fps with NO players on screen. Looking good! I say ship it!!

Speaking of no players on screen, does CIG ever release videos of their internal playtests for 3.0? I haven't watched many of their video releases but it always feels like they're just developing features in complete isolation.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Virtual Captain posted:

So you wouldn't mind linking to the documentation.

I think you might be confusing things. Streaming IO and dynamically loading assets is a fundamental part of a game engine. It is called streamengine in CryEngine. You can seamlessly transition from station, to space, to a different station in 2.6 right now. Which could be done via. layer switching in stock CryEngine.

The thing that isn't supported are seamless planet-sized maps. They have already demonstrated that they have that technology working in the editor (which is the hard part). Since it is custom code, they will probably have to do a little extra work integrating it into the CryEngine System, but that is a relatively easy task. Nothing about 2.6 can be done in the stock CryEngine either, but that's why they have programmers to do work like the 64-bit conversion.

The bottom line is that 3.0 isn't coming out until it is fully integrated. Saying that you are sceptical about space-planet transitions is pointless, when they have both space and planets separately working. When 3.0 comes out (whenever that is) it will have the seamless planets, and Derek will still say he called it. It will be a repeat of Star Marine not being in 2.6, and he will come up with a semantic argument so he can pretend that he was always right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hamled posted:

Speaking of no players on screen, does CIG ever release videos of their internal playtests for 3.0? I haven't watched many of their video releases but it always feels like they're just developing features in complete isolation.
lmbo if you think they play that poo poo game internally. They have better things to play, like Endless Legend.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Latin Pheonix posted:

Another report and nothing of importance has been completed. You can't keep pushing the individual deadlines back a week forever, guys!

:siren: Calling it now (Derek hand orff!): the release date will not be pushed back any further, but ongoing delays in each area means evocati will be late and last only 4-6 days (far too little to do any meaningful testing). 'Ptu' will take place for 2-3 days (for show) so that 3.0 can be released just within the window. Because of this lack of testing 3.0 will be released to the public as a barely playable mess. CR will walk on stage on gamescom gloating about a successful release and talking about how "everyone's having fun with the new build'. And the shills will smugly talk about how noone should have ever doubted Christ Roberts. Backers and developers will learn nothing from this experience and the cavalcade of disaster will march on. :siren:

Every time you think "Surely they must do X by date Y or bad things" it is always much, much later than even your worst estimates.

Prediction: Some bullshit will be released that has nothing you would expect in it. No planet landing and all that junk. Probably just what ever is working. The excuse will be something about polish or refactoring or something. The reason they are releasing anything isn't because of the sale season, no, it was they were just super excited to show you what is just a tiny portion of what is coming in the REAL AND TRUE patch, 3.2 in 2 weeks... 3.4 in 3 months... 4.0 'soon'...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

That's why he killed you! That and being worse than my grandma at Xcom. Granted, my grandma plays mostly sober. Mostly.

Could you see if your grandmother would be keen on streaming us some Xcom 2.

I might know of a guy who could hook her up with access to a online pirate knitting pattern website.

That's right, lots of knitting patterns with skulls and cross bones

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Kosumo posted:

Could you see if your grandmother would be keen on streaming us some Xcom 2.

I might know of a guy who could hook her up with access to a online pirate knitting pattern website.

That's right, lots of knitting patterns with skulls and cross bones

*Someone* stream us some Xcom 2. And The Agent - we're all waiting on your Sims stream.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

I don't mind people cheering for stuff, but this? Do they not know you could do this with most games for years now using a controller??

But that's… *gasp* …a console peripheral. :aaa:

Also, I don't know about “most games” — it's common in stealth and milsim games because there's actually a reason to move slowly at various degrees there. For everything else, it's running at all times, with some option ot not run if you're in a precision platforming section. With that in mind, it's not like there's anything in SC that would make it need anything other than the run/not-run option.

…also, I'm trying to remember exactly when we went from the default being walking, and using a modifier to run, to the exact opposite. Was it Quake II / Unreal era or earlier?

trucutru posted:

…but it does. Which just further goes to the point that they keep overlooking that E:D provides pretty much everything they would actually want from the game part of the game they're waiting for.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 22, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hey guys, I've been drinking quite a bit so I'm going to start up a stream. In the toilet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Latin Pheonix posted:

Absolutely no way evocati and ptu take that little. They usually schedule thm to last a week or two and then woops it takes a whole month because things start to break with even a little bit of pressure from users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

trucutru posted:

Yeah, so? It still doesn't have it and SC will. Thus SC > Elite, which is all that matters.
Elite does have them.

The transitions you see are for network matchmaking when entering/exiting supercruise, they're nothing to do with loading. If the game weren't multiplayer it wouldn't need them, the engine itself is 100% seamless. It's possible to fly from planetary body to planetary body without any transitional phase if you don't use supercruise, it just takes loving ages because you're travelling sublight and everything is scaled 1:1. People have actually done this quite a few times just to prove it's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7E0DEp5yI

So yeah, Star Citizen needs to be seamless because Elite is seamless. Only Star Citizen needs to do it even better, because Chris has an inferiority complex about Elite and can't get the loving game out of his head. I think it's because he's talked down the competition so much over the years, to do anything "worse" than them would upset the whales.