Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Android 18 and Megatron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kanos posted:

The Dragonball cast don't give a poo poo about law and order and the only thing required to get off their poo poo list is "don't try to kill us or genocide/explode our planet anymore, okay?". My Hero Academia is pretty concerned with the rule of law and order to the point where people need to get licenses to use the powers they are naturally born with in the open without committing a crime. I don't think rehabilitating a crazed murderer who drinks peoples' blood to get close to her victims is something that would happen in the time scale of the story, like I don't think they're going to catch Toga and give her a speech and then two weeks are going to pass and she'll show up in Class A in a UA uniform.

They should though

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Manatee Cannon posted:

I could see toga getting captured by the good guys here, either intentionally or not. I don't think they know she's the one that can mimic people yet so it'd let her infiltrate them. plus she's the same age as the heroes and shonen loves rehabilitating people, so I could see it going that way too

I really hope not. "Female villain getting redeemed because she wants the hero's dick" is such a tired cliche.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's true but mha's been really good at taking stuff that's been done before and doing it better, so I'd be down with giving it a chance. it's not necessarily gonna happen at all tho

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neo_Crimson posted:

I really hope not. "Female villain getting redeemed because she wants the hero's dick" is such a tired cliche.

She already wants his dick. But severed and covered in blood, while she takes his form. Until of course she finds someone else she would love to see decorated with their own gore, as she becomes them

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

RareAcumen posted:

Android 18 and Megatron

Colonel Rudol Von Stroheim, an actual, literal nazi

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Android 18 and Megatron

18 didn't kill, like, anyone though, at least in the current timeline, as far as I can recall. Even if she did, Vegeta likely killed more in his fight with her alone. And 17 just killed Gero, which, good.

(They wanted to kill Goku, yes, but, so did Vegeta and arguably Piccolo. They're not unique there.)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Buu turned people into candy and ate them, now he sleeps on Mr. Satan's couch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

piccolo did kill goku

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The real problem with "they'll beat Toga and then she'll become Their Friend because shonen" isn't that she's a murderer. It's that this series pretty clearly doesn't do that at all. Consider the sheer number of characters that have been beaten in some way and how exactly zero of them have been reformed in any way as a result of that.

The closest you could argue is Todoroki after the sports festival, and even that's kind of a stretch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hell, Bulma just straight up shot Goku in the head. She didn't know he'd survive, she just unloaded at a loving twelve year old like a white cop in DC.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
You can't really use Dragon Ball to justify any particular bad guy turning good, because a whole bunch of villains in Dragon Ball eventually became a good guy to help fight a greater threat. Tien, Piccolo, Vegeta, 18, Buu, a bunch of minor villains who help for one fight then go away... its a story telling trope Toriyama really really likes.

If any of the Villains Alliance were to switch sides, though, my money's on Twice. The dude has some very believable problems and really just needs a good therapist. Also, Twice himself hasn't done anything wrong, he's just helped facilitate a lot of other people doing wrong, so at worst he's only an accomplice. Like I can't imagine him joining the main cast or anything, but having Twice jump in to save somebody's neck or clone a hero to do something seems really probable, ending with him getting some light jail time and some therapy.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Protodude posted:

Don't worry, we'll eventually see more of those fights as filler in the inevitable anime.

I Love Annie May posted:

When this manga will get an anime adaptation, you'll have all the fights you want. Each single fight will also be a 5 episodes long filler arc where in each episode there'll be 19 minutes of recycled animation and in the remaining time we'll get anime original character that are mostly the animator's rejected sketches for his ecchi harem comedy set in a kindergarten, and the only thing those characters will say will be "He's using that technique!" "Not that technique!" "That technique?" "If he uses that technique then..." And when it will use that technique the animation will be so terrible it will make Naruto look like Akira.

And then everyone will sigh:"Man, why did they put all this bullshit filler? If only they kept things more concise..."

referencing Chapter 35, during the Tournament Arc. I just finished watching the anime, without having read the manga, then I flipped back through some pages of the manga. I think the whole story has been incredible, and it looks like the author created all this content really fast. In defiance of expectations, the anime extrapolated the fight between Momo and Fumikaga into something logical that showed her being pushed out of the ring, and all the shorter matches only lasted 5-10 minutes. The anime has been cutting some content from the manga, like chapter 44. There are so many great characters who are really well-developed and all with great designs, even down to the minor ones like Best Jeanist

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 21, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manatee Cannon posted:

comedy option: orochimaru

Super comedy option hyper edition:

The coolest guy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gnome7 posted:

You can't really use Dragon Ball to justify any particular bad guy turning good, because a whole bunch of villains in Dragon Ball eventually became a good guy to help fight a greater threat. Tien, Piccolo, Vegeta, 18, Buu, a bunch of minor villains who help for one fight then go away... its a story telling trope Toriyama really really likes.

If any of the Villains Alliance were to switch sides, though, my money's on Twice. The dude has some very believable problems and really just needs a good therapist. Also, Twice himself hasn't done anything wrong, he's just helped facilitate a lot of other people doing wrong, so at worst he's only an accomplice. Like I can't imagine him joining the main cast or anything, but having Twice jump in to save somebody's neck or clone a hero to do something seems really probable, ending with him getting some light jail time and some therapy.

Yeah Twice feels more like a person that was failed by a society that couldn't help him when he decided to abuse his quirk and now his option is to put his chips in with people that operate outside of it illegally (also he is unhinged) than someone that is actually interested in promoting a real evil agenda.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So speaking of Toga, is that one goopy shapeshifter from the licensing battle royale dead or what?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Green Intern posted:

So speaking of Toga, is that one goopy shapeshifter from the licensing battle royale dead or what?

I wonder if shapeshifting was even her power. It didn't seem like any of her classmates were around when she was loving with Deku to say otherwise. Couldn't it be possible Toga just made it seem like shape shifting was her quirk?

Also yeah I would think she's totally dead since Toga is involved but I hope not. :smith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qje1Lz7GHZE

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That would explain a lot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Green Intern posted:

She was confirmed to not even be a shapeshifter. Her stealth ablites were all Toga as well.

But according to her classmates she had been acting a bit odd for three days at that point. So Toga replaced her at least 3 days before the exam had happened. And yeah she is probably dead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

She was confirmed to not even be a shapeshifter. Her stealth ablites were all Toga as well.

But according to her classmates she had been acting a bit odd for three days at that point. So Toga replaced her at least 3 days before the exam had happened. And yeah she is probably dead.
We've had a bit of a tonal shift here but man despite all of the really perfectly good reasons Kemi should be dead (Toga is a confirmed murderer, Kemi has no further use, Toga can't just go play Kemi forever while doing villain poo poo, etc) I'll be shocked if she is.

As mentioned Kemi seems to have been replaced a few days before the license exam, and since then it has been like I think a week or two. A week at the bare minimum.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mha doesn't seem the type of manga to kill a kid

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe this isn't even what Toga looks like

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also seen a theory that All Might's cop pal is Kurogiri because they wore the same tie and vest at some point

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
maybe everyone is toga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Slime posted:

maybe everyone is toga

everyone is twice actually

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone is Twice clones of Toga imitating the originals.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everyone is actually The Thing.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The way Overhaul's quirk is drawn this week reminds me of alchemy from FMA, which is terrifying in the context of someone who is the only person with that power, who is a murderous criminal, who uses it on humans without hesitation.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

mha doesn't seem the type of manga to kill a kid

It was handled very vaguely and indirectly, but the fat winged kid that hung with Bakugou in the beginning-of-series flashbacks died pretty gruesomely.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that kid is gonna show up one day and you're gonna feel very silly

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What's really cool about Overhaul is that even without his Quirk his hand to hand abilities are super impressive if he dodged Rappa's punches and got close enough to put hands on him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

What's really cool about Overhaul is that even without his Quirk his hand to hand abilities are super impressive if he dodged Rappa's punches and got close enough to put hands on him.

Fat Gum remarked that was really impressive.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah it didn't sink in with me how impressive it was until now really because I was just thinking of how strong his Quirk was.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Toga copies Uraraka, twice clones her. MHA turns into a harem anime, Deku gets a nosebleed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/888529247362576384

Finally!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Eej posted:

Who said anything about race? It's about culture.

Anyway, the way the police are described gives them an enormous leeway with saving face. They embrace <strong values> and don't hire people with quirks (because they don't want to get in trouble if some fire dude lights someone up or burns down a whole block as collateral damage). They will gladly cooperate with heroes who exemplify their ideal attributes while also holding the power to censure those that don't. They don't have any power to resist villains but they hold all the political power over the hero association. So they can take credit from over anything heroes do as they have oversight over all their activities while also maintaining plausible deniability over any negative thing heroes do as they are not actually part of the police but in a seperate, independent organization. To the eyes of the public the police are always doing good, it's the heroes that mess up if it happens.

Vengarr posted:

The police are contracting out most of their responsibilities to the heroes. That's why a hero like Endeavor can put down a bunch of bad guys, but he still needs someone in blue to actually arrest them. The police don't want to admit they're useless, so they use the heroes as tools while still maintaining the illusion of societal control and authority. Rather than doing the obvious thing and co-opting the heroes into some sort of Self-Defense Force acting under the authority of the government, the state is holding them at arms length.

This means that the "Heroes" of today are nothing but mercenaries, ones that have to promote themselves ruthlessly in order to get a better-paying contract from the government.

Multiple people in the series have noted this is both prone to corruption and utterly unsustainable.

This is all the way back from page 88 of this thread about Chapter 55, but it's very common in the US at least for corporations to have a Russian nesting doll structure of independent contractors so that one of them can take all the heat and go under, then they reconfigure. Sometimes governments have been accused of doing it to avoid penalty, too (e.g. military contractors). The phrase that comes to mind is "plausible deniability", and NPR uses the word "adhocracy" to describe it as applied to Russia

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 22, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah it didn't sink in with me how impressive it was until now really because I was just thinking of how strong his Quirk was.

Most people are sleeping on Shigaraki's physical capabilities too, but the dude is super fast and surprisingly hardy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Terper posted:

Most people are sleeping on Shigaraki's physical capabilities too, but the dude is super fast and surprisingly hardy.

Yeah! I was thinking this too because I'm rewatching the first season of the dub at the minute and he goes toe to toe with Aizawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.