Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lightning Lord posted:

I like the Rockford Files.

The Rockford Files loving owns, I used to watch it every day at noon on one of those classic TV stations. It's the only PI show I've seen that acknowledges how lovely it is to be a PI.
I still need to get around to watching Maverick.

Escobarbarian posted:

irq hits his kids pass it on

If we're being accurate to the premise of the show, IRQ hits other peoples' kids.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Slap.

(Hoping this is the right clip as I'm on my phone in work...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_niiQfeWc

I was hoping this was what I would see.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

MiddleOne posted:

Blood Drive doesn't have any right to be as good as it is.

I just got to episode 3. "All hail synergy"

I love this stupid, stupid show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

The Rockford Files loving owns, I used to watch it every day at noon on one of those classic TV stations. It's the only PI show I've seen that acknowledges how lovely it is to be a PI.
I still need to get around to watching Maverick.

If we're being accurate to the premise of the show, IRQ hits other peoples' kids.

I was hoping this was what I would see.
White on White is a classic episode of TV, and I'm not even a Rockford fan.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Ah yeah The Slap. An Aussie show (and book) remade by the yanks.

I don't know if either version was any good. Probably not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The American version of The Slap was really bad in a somewhat entertaining way. I think I watched 3 episodes of it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone start watching Netflix's Ozark? Just saw that it's been released.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

Think about it this way: If you're a prestige TV writer, you usually work a certain amount and get paid a certain amount to deliver a certain amount of episodes. What if you had to deliver 5 times as many episodes? It would probably be a good deal if you got paid 5 times as much.

No is going to pay you 5 times as much.

Guiding Light had about 36,000 episodes over 76 years, starting on radio and moving to television. 5 times the amount of episodes a year would be a break for soap writers. The average soap easily breaks a hundred a year, whereas the average prestige writer shits themselves if they go above ten.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

The American version of The Slap was really bad in a somewhat entertaining way. I think I watched 3 episodes of it.

That was all my morbid curiosity could take of that garbage fire of a show. Every episode was tailor made to spark water cooler arguments over which side was right after the episode injected new information/opinions/etc from the myriad characters present at the bbq where some dude smacked a kid.

raditts posted:

You need a sitter, Raditts?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The only way I can see Confederates working is if like, the modern-day slave quarters are strongly reminiscent of private prisons, the "slave-holding conglomerate" is notApple, there's a BLM movement because the cops are overzealously killing runaway slaves who could be returned to their masters to keep making them money, etc. Just reeeaaally dig in there.

Even then, ehhhhh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

That was all my morbid curiosity could take of that garbage fire of a show. Every episode was tailor made to spark water cooler arguments over which side was right after the episode injected new information/opinions/etc from the myriad characters present at the bbq where some dude smacked a kid.

Having grown up in the deep South, a kid getting smacked at a BBQ... was Tuesday.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I'm withholding judgment on Confederates until we know more about it. It could really go either way, from what I see, and I'm gonna need at least a loving trailer before I call it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm withholding judgment until they introduce a sympathetic slave owner. If they do the show can go gently caress itself.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They already made a sci-fi show where the Confederates were the good guys, it was called Firefly :smug:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pretty excited for this. Loved Psych and still quote from it often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhw3yBdnsUA

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm not going to watch a Confederate victory show unless they do something new or interesting with that tired idea, and I have no faith Benioff and Weiss are capable of that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not morally judging the Confederate show ahead of time. I'll probably give it a shot and it could be good. I just dread the circus that will come around it and the terrible people it will bring forward or give some reason to be terrible on a bigger scale.

On a better side I loved Psych, never finished it because I burned out, had no idea there was a movie, and now need to go binge it and finish it. Yay!

Wait, its not on Netflix anymore! Boo!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stop pretending you've read those books guys, come on.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What, you mean the Harry Turtledove ones with Confederate Hitler? Cause I fucken read em, dude, all 4000 pages.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The Ozark pilot was pretty drat intense. Jason Bateman is Mr. Money Manager.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Forget the confederates, where my alt-history show where it's the Native Americans who won and survived into the modern day? That would be way more interesting and thought-provoking than yet another charade where we pretend that the Confederates were an actual concrete ideology that could have continued on in any meaningful, recognizable fashion.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man Phoebe was definitely the hottest FRIENDS in season 2 before they leaned too hard on her hippy granola girl aspect and had her wear nothing but like shapeless dresses and shirts

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Digital Jedi posted:

Between this and Vikings trailer my day has been made.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Digital Jedi posted:

my response: https://youtu.be/2zo_5IWXOAg?t=21s

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Iron Fist has been renewed for season 2 :toot:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

White on White is a classic episode of TV, and I'm not even a Rockford fan.

The episodes with Tom Selleck are incredible, yeah. The first episode I ever saw was Tall Woman in Red Wagon, which was like a perfect introduction to the series, complete with audience surrogate. I'm glad it was that one i saw first and not the pilot, because the pilot sucked real hard.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

less laughter posted:

Iron Fist has been renewed for season 2 :toot:

It was the best of the four Netflix shows, so no surprise there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress me, trifecta of rage.

Doctor Who, Confederate slavery and Iron Fist.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Anyone watch Ozark yet? Seems like it might be good. Although ever since that rampage Netflix went on with canceling poo poo I sometimes wonder if I should bother getting into any of these 1 season shows. This one just came out, so perhaps they were just cleaning house before or something? I honestly never learned much about what that was all about.

edit: weird, I haven't read much about it yet, but seemed like most people liked it.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 22, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ozark sounds pretty lovely. I heard the phrase "Breaking Mediocre" which made me laugh.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Ozarks really good, scratches that Bloodline itch perfectly.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Hughmoris posted:

The Ozark pilot was pretty drat intense. Jason Bateman is Mr. Money Manager.

Well, Manager. We'll just say Manager.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Eezee posted:

Is Berlin Station worth watching? I have never heard of that channel, but a friend of mine said it was decent.

Yeah, it's decent. It hits the right atmosphere notes, but by the end it does the same thing all those spy shows do by stacking conspiracy on conspiracy and tying them all together. I guess that's needed for good tv, though, and at least this one doesn't do the ' IT'S A CONSPIRACY THAT GOES UP ALL THE WAY TO THE PRESIDENT!' thing.

I'm kind of getting tired of Berlin as a location. It's been the default location for this kind of story for over ten years now, and I've seen it all, you know. Let's go to the old American sigint station at Teufelsberg for a dramatic backdrop! The U-Bahn! Industrial decay and lovely Turkish neighborhoods!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

EricBauman posted:

I'm kind of getting tired of Berlin as a location. It's been the default location for this kind of story for over ten years now

Please tell me that was intended as a joke dude, seriously? Or that you're like 15 years old?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Please tell me that was intended as a joke dude, seriously? Or that you're like 15 years old?

You can't tell me that you haven't noticed that way too many of these stories are shot in Berlin. It's gotten worse in the last decade, probably because of the tax incentives. Berlin Station came only a year after the Germany season of Homeland. I think you can now find an American crew shooting a spy thriller movie or tv show in Berlin year round.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What else is there?

I remember A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman but I think it mostly takes place in Hamburg, and it honestly looks like it could have been shot in Vancouver.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 22, 2017

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bentacos posted:

It was the best of the four Netflix shows, so no surprise there.

Dammit why did no one tell me it was Opposite Day?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Mu Zeta posted:

What else is there?

I remember A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman but I think it mostly takes place in Hamburg, and it honestly looks like it could have been shot in Vancouver.

On tv, just in the last years there was also Deutschland 83. For movies, this is just my list of what I've seen myself, without getting into movies dealing with nazi Germany and German films dealing with the Cold War, because those are obvious:

The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
Jason Bourne
Bridge of Spies
Hitman
Hanna
Mission Impossible (probably multiples there too)
Unknown
The International
The Constant Gardener
Fast and Furious 8
Spooks: The Greater Good

I thought The A Team was one too, but that was shot elsewhere in Germany.
Lots of earlier stuff too, like Spy Game.
There's probably many more. I didn't want to go through the whole imdb list. At least 10% of the 7000 titles listed for Berlin are from the last three years.
I fully expect that if Taken 4 ever gets made, they'll set it in Berlin.

They do it just for the tax credits. There was no good story reason those Berlin scenes in Jason Bourne couldn't have been set and filmed in London.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 22, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen most of those movies and I don't recall any German scenes whatsoever. Maybe Berlin is really forgettable? I mean I believe you when you say they have those scenes. Was Bridge of Spies actually filmed in Berlin? I thought most of the movie was indoors on sets.

e: but yeah after 9/11, German special intelligence kind of became important to US audiences so it makes sense story wise for spy shows to have Berlin in it.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 22, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

EricBauman posted:

There was no good story reason those Berlin scenes in Jason Bourne couldn't have been set and filmed in London.

Oh poo poo, that's such a good idea. I have no idea why nobody has filmed a movie or show in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Digital Jedi posted:

Greatest trailer ever!

re: @midnight. I thought it would've been interesting to have the winner be the host of the following episode.

• Locked thread