Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Wild will take Chris Krieder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The idea that goalies have a different aging curve than skaters is a myth bolstered by a really tiny number or outlier cases who happen to be some of the most prominent goalies in history.

How well do goalies age? A look at a goalie aging curve.

quote:

Conclusion: I’m going to use the Linear aging curve going forward in my Hockey Marcels, but no matter which one you use a few points are still clear:
1. Goalies don’t improve as they get older
2. By age 30, goalie decline starts to get REALLY noticable
3. By mid-30s, even with the aging line, goalies rapidly start to fall apart.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Due Up:

Yaya (due 12:00 PM EST)
JoelJoel
Jonathan Fisk

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

Patrick Roy came out of the lockout pretty rough and had two mediocre seasons before turning it back around.

Hasek was pretty meh in Detroit for a few years there before being an absolute beast for Ottawa.

Luongo had two pretty average seasons in 2012-14 and then three pretty good seasons.

Tim Thomas's three year run bookended by Vezinas (with losing his job because he wasn't very good during that middle season).

Etc

Good goalies have mediocre seasons some times, for lots of reasons.

I think it's a big assumption to make that Rask will be one of the Best Goalies Ever in terms of longevity. I mean he's proven he can perform at an elite level but age catches everyone.

Jordan7hm posted:

I might buy this argument with another goalie but Andersen has a single season with a save % above 920. His last two seasons, representing 50% of his body of work in the NHL, were barely better than Rask's "mediocre seasons". His other full season was slightly worse. Dude is a .918 goalie after about 5k shots and, other than goalies being voodoo, will probably not be more than that.

And Rask posted back to back .915 seasons to Andersen's .919 and .918. When it's just even strength the last two years (and strip Boston's league leading penalty killing) Rask posted a .923 to Andersen's .928 and declined from last year.

Of course I say all this now and Rask will come out and blow everything out of the water next year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think he's immune to aging, but those two seasons don't fit along any kind of aging curve. They're huge drops from his previous standard of performance. That's why I think they're more likely to be outliers.

I think Luongo is probably a reasonable comparison to Rask at the same stage of their careers, though Rask has had higher highs and lower lows.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
It might be too early for prospects but I'm extremely high on the greatest Clayton K. in professional sports, Clayton Keller.

Dude scored 1.45 points a game in the NCAA as an 18 year old. Those numbers are better than what Gaudreau did.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Considering you don't have 3 NHL forwards yet, it might be a bit early to be grabbing 18-year-olds.

There are a few D-men that really interest me but defense is boring so I've gotta go with another centre.

Derick Brassard.

Career low in points and shooting % in his first campaign with Ottawa last year; should bounce back nicely. Versatile, proven centreman that will put up points. He's pretty good in all zone, he can play up and down the lineup, and I'm pretty sure I've even seen him play on the wing. Just barely on the right side of 30 and signed to a reasonable 5 mil for a couple more years.

I, mean, he's no Zibanejad, but he'll do nicely.

Benn - Zbad -
- Nylander -
- Brassard -

Ghost

Bob

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jonathan Fisk has until 3:21 PM EST, followed by our good friends Ginette Reno and Furnaceface.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also, Kreider is a good pick. Crazy you fools let him slide so far.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

JoelJoel posted:

He was on my list for next pick. Guy is almost as good at scoring as injuring top tier goalies.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JoelJoel posted:

Considering you don't have 3 NHL forwards yet, it might be a bit early to be grabbing 18-year-olds.

I drafted Keller like I'm drafting for a franchise and not a single season sim. If he's not the best forward prospect right now he's in the top 3 and he's my pick to win the Calder next season.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

JoelJoel posted:

Kreider would have been my pick if Schwartz was of the board.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I was hoping Keller would fall to next cycle, decent pick.

I'll make mine presently

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'll take Tyler Toffoli for his positional flexibility and misleadingly good fancy stats:

Hoffman - O'Reilly - X
Domi - Toffoli - X

X - Doughty
Giordano - X

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 22, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Chris Kreider was in my top-2-or-3 wings but positional scarcity won that pick. Also he violates my "gently caress the Rangers" principle.

Due Up:

Ginette Reno (Until 4:54 PM)
Furnaceface
Jordan7hm

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'll take Tyler Toffoli for his positional flexibility and misleadingly good fancy stats:

Hoffman - O'Reilly - X
Domi - Toffoli - X

X - Doughty
Giordano - X

I don't think a guy who's taken 27 faceoffs in 293 GP is a center or should be used as one, just fyi.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Yaya posted:

It might be too early for prospects but I'm extremely high on the greatest Clayton K. in professional sports, Clayton Keller.

Dude scored 1.45 points a game in the NCAA as an 18 year old. Those numbers are better than what Gaudreau did.

I'm not sure I'd really call him a prospect anyway, he was great at the WC and he'll be in Arizona's lineup 100% this year, probably on their #1 PP.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He's a natural center and was fine in junior :twisted:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hoffman - RoR - Toffoli is a real good first line at least.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I plan on moving him there if my ships come in

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dammit I was gonna take Toffoli and was amazed he kept slipping. I was hoping nobody else noticed him.

I have no choice then but to go full homer. Pittsburgh takes Jake Guentzel.

e:

Guentzel-Giroux-Rakell
Horvat

Pietrangelo

Price

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yaya posted:

I drafted Keller like I'm drafting for a franchise and not a single season sim. If he's not the best forward prospect right now he's in the top 3 and he's my pick to win the Calder next season.

Seems weird to plan a franchise around two aging forwards, a second tier goalie, and an unproven 18y/o. But, hey, man, you do you.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Guentzel is a steal I was really hoping he'd fall. Oh well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Dammit I was gonna take Toffoli and was amazed he kept slipping. I was hoping nobody else noticed him.

I have no choice then but to go full homer. Pittsburgh takes Jake Guentzel.

e:

Guentzel-Giroux-Rakell
Horvat

Pietrangelo

Price

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress you

I knew I should have picked him before you got two in a row.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Huh, I thought this guy was picked but apparently he wasnt so the Rangers happily choose Robby Fabbri. I know this doesnt fit with my normal picks but Im honestly just a fan of the kid.

Plus his name is funny.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress you

I knew I should have picked him before you got two in a row.

I was surprised you didn't spring on him earlier. I had my eyes on Toffoli as I think his game is more rounded than Guentzel's at this point but I'm still happy to get Jake.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Guentzel was who I was thinking before I decided it was the time for Keller. Guentzel has super impressive numbers but his shooting % was very high. 19% in the regular season and like, 25% in the playoffs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

I was surprised you didn't spring on him earlier. I had my eyes on Toffoli as I think his game is more rounded than Guentzel's at this point but I'm still happy to get Jake.

I thought he was more likely to come back than Theodore given the run on D.

Anyway I'll make my pick shortly, need to do some quick research.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yaya posted:

Guentzel was who I was thinking before I decided it was the time for Keller. Guentzel has super impressive numbers but his shooting % was very high. 19% in the regular season and like, 25% in the playoffs.

Yeah, but on the other hand he ripped the AHL a new rear end in a top hat and has scored at every level. He's for real it's just a question of how good he is.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Yaya posted:

His AHL numbers were killer too though, I think he's probably for real. Maybe not at that pace, but a good top 6 guy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Guentzel is for real. My only concern with him is his size and where he likes to play. He's super smart / elusive but he goes into places where you get hurt, and at some point that's gonna catch up to him.

Anyway I'm taking a guy who scores at every level, is coming off a very under appreciated rookie season, and who has shockingly good WOWYs and fancies (in admittedly only a season of work). Anthony Mantha.

Which leaves me with

Mantha - Reinhardt - Marner

Theodore - Ekblad

Murray

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, the guy with half a season shooting 20 percent playing with hall of famers.

You guys are blinded by youth jfc.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
62 points in 54 AHL games is great. Better than Toffoli at the same age for instance.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Guentzel is a fine pick. Honestly, I thought somebody was going to take him sooner.

Technetium has until 8:02 PM EST, followed by ThinkTank and Jamwad Hilder.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, the guy with half a season shooting 20 percent playing with hall of famers.

You guys are blinded by youth jfc.

Watch the kind of shots Guentzel takes and where he takes them from. He gets open so that he has the time to picks corners. He's gonna be a Tanguay. In pro hockey he has 58 goals on 290 shots. Unless his game changes significantly his low end shooting is going to be like 14%.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
also gently caress off for taking Mantha

I like your team although I wonder if it has an elite dude who can carry (maybe Murray as he progresses) a team to the Cup, it's going to look good but it's giving me young St. Louis Blues syndrome

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

also gently caress off for taking Mantha

I like your team although I wonder if it has an elite dude who can carry (maybe Murray as he progresses) a team to the Cup, it's going to look good but it's giving me young St. Louis Blues syndrome

It hurts not picking in the top 10 when you're aiming real young. I think Marner is gonna be Kane good though.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Give me something called Brady Skjei

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
goddamn my list being annihilated, another good pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza