Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me, or are Octolings way too quick on the uptake to switch back to targeting you instead of a grenade compared to the campaign in the original game? The ones with shields are way more annoying than they should be because they just won't buy into being distracted by a grenade like they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Splatoon 2 is not an enhanced port, because the first game's campaign and specials can't be accessed.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Empress Brosephine posted:

How about a new hub city, different art style (which all those games do), different environments??or atleast fix the problems the first game has?

I feel it's the opposite. Of Splatoon 2 was on PS4 it would get hammered for being more of the same , bad UI, log load times and very shallow. But it gets the Nintendo Luxury of quirkiness so they aren't forced into fixing problems that multiplat devs are.

The hub is fine. It serves a purpose that dictates what they can do. You can view players from your previous games, buy the gear they have and see the posts they make, which is a pretty cool feature and fits the flavor for the game. All of the shops and modes have to be available so why not throw them into the plaza as well so there's a little function added, and the easier to access the better so that requires a open space. If you want immediate access to most of the shops and all of the game modes, press X and you can teleport to any that aren't accessed directly in the square (Crusty Sean's or Murch).

How is the UI bad? It gets things across with hardly any obfuscation or distraction and isn't cumbersome to navigate at all.

The only times I've had an issues with load times is when the Switch has to connect to the internet at work. The WiFi at work automatically kicks connections off after 24 hours and forces devices to redo the connection and accept the ToS, which is handled pretty well by Splatoon with an extended loading screen that takes just as long as it would through the Switch home screen, and it even pops up the browser window without forcing you to reload the game from the start. Everything else loads in 2-15 seconds which is just as fast or significantly faster than any other modern game I've played or seen played on console or most PCs. Finding enough players can take a little long at 3am, but that's because it's trying to stay in your region, and that's preferable to getting matches with a bunch of people on the other side of the planet, and that's not actually a loading time issue anyways. I've actually had very little issue with internet stuff in general, certainly far less than I did with Splatoon 1.

As for very shallow, I think you're in a very tiny minority there. There's plenty of depth and strategy if you're looking to better yourself. It's a pretty subjective thing though, so that's largely you and your preferences in games, and that's fine.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 22, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

why can't you post in the switch thread again?

Why does every Nintendo game thread have to be a hugbox? There's problems with this game that people should know to inform them before their purchase. Multiple of which are what I posted including UI and loads.

E; the hub is fine I just think they could've designed another e that didn't look exactly the same as Splatoon 1.

And the UI doesnt let you jump into anything without a load; why can't I configure gear and buy gear without loading a stupid anime cutscene? Just give me a menu. Why can't I go right into ranked or player match right from the hub instead of having to load something else?

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 22, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Why does every Nintendo game thread have to be a hugbox? There's problems with this game that people should know to inform them before their purchase. Multiple of which are what I posted including UI and loads.

yeah but why can't you post in the nintendo switch thread?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

I was told I was getting a Splatoon sequel but all I got was a remake

This is more of a sequel than any other shooter franchise game year to year, any sports franchise

Yeah, it's a very similar game
So was Mario Galaxy 2 to Mario Galaxy 1 - didn't stop Galaxy 2 from reaching the top spot on every Wii chart

The differences are only going to expand as new weapons, maps, and whatever other surprises they have are added

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm glad the final boss doesn't take like a half hour, but at the same time it doesn't feel as "grand".

It's still super good and I appreciate what they did with it but eh. Biggest story complaint is that Pearl and Marina are literally never seen in it outside 2 scrolls. Was kinda hoping for some kind of character building with them but oh well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

E; the hub is fine I just think they could've designed another e that didn't look exactly the same as Splatoon 1.

And the UI doesnt let you jump into anything without a load; why can't I configure gear and buy gear without loading a stupid anime cutscene? Just give me a menu. Why can't I go right into ranked or player match right from the hub instead of having to load something else?

The "stupid anime cutscene" is literally one or two lines of dialog that takes half a second, and if you use L and R in the shops you only load once, which takes literally 2 seconds. They're there because the developers wanted to add some personality and have shopkeepers, which fits with the theme and feel they're going for with the whole game. They made a decision to add that charm at a cost of a couple seconds of inconvenience. An acceptable trade in my eyes, in fact preferable for me over what I would find a boring list of menu items. Its subjective though, and you'd rather have the simpler, quicker and more convenient menus.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If you lose at c- ranked multiple times cracks appear in your rank bar so that you're always reminded you're bad at rain maker

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I don't think I'm gonna touch ranked for a long time, I'm horrible at this game. I didn't figure out how special weapons charge until I was playing for almost an hour yesterday :saddowns:

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Zelder posted:

If you lose at c- ranked multiple times cracks appear in your rank bar so that you're always reminded you're bad at rain maker

What happens when it breaks at C-? Is there a D rank?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I don't know how I feel about this game. It's like a exact copy of Splatoon 1, even down to the hub city, and they still refused to change a lot of the problems Splatoon 1 had. I feel like you could stick Splatoon 1 and 2 I front of someone ask them to tell them apart and they couldn't.

List of problems Splatoon 2 has addressed or solved:

- The difficulty in crafting your desired set of gear
- Instant panic button / I win abilities
- Map selection updates interrupting gameplay
- Weapon Balance

quote:

I don't understand why they didn't atleast fix some of the UI stuff. Buying clothes and weapons is still a chore with a long load; even going into a match menu takes a load which leads to another load. Why couldn't they just make it like every other game and have everything on one menu screen in the hub? It's so frustrating and sticks out even more so when you consider the switch as a mobile platform. And there's still no way to try on clothes before you buy them???

A chore...? I'm playing on cartridge the loading times are insignificant. I suppose one can be consider this matter of opinion, but the time to load to the unified shop screen is... what; 2 - 3 seconds? Is that too long for you?

quote:

Even more mind boggling is that the load to go from matchmaking screen (which I found out earlier is impossible to exit from once you're In it) to game takes like two seconds, how does a menu take more to load than the actual game??!?!

This is not uncommon, or long actually.

quote:

It's biggest crime though, is For some reason they didn't add the "shut the gently caress up anime" button to every character just the weapons dealer. What a tragedy.

I guess you have a problem with patience? I mean, to most people skipping through one or two text boxes worth of dialog isn't a big deal.

quote:

That said it's a fun game if not a bit grindy and repetitive, was hoping they'd atleast make the grind a bit more fun like adding perks or something.

...You mean like weapon and armor abilities? You know, the things that you use to customize your characters that serve the exact same function as perks?

Be critical, it's fine; just try to find some actual problems next time.

Here's an actual concern of mine:

A lot of the powerful things from the old game has been nerfed or removed. A lot of it is understandable and welcome at first glance, such as the removal of the bubbler, inkzooka and Kraken; but I worry that too much nerfing might make the end game more stale once people get used to the game.

I'm still having a great time so far though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

I don't think I'm gonna touch ranked for a long time, I'm horrible at this game. I didn't figure out how special weapons charge until I was playing for almost an hour yesterday :saddowns:

It's very difficult! But the first time you get that rain maker dunk you will realize it's worth it

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I felt like the load times were bad in the splatfest but they're fixed here

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I tried the d-pad controls vs motion and the game clicked for me. I really should give motion more of a chance but..

Also neither feel good in handheld mode. Something about the layout of the right stick is just completely ruining the handheld experience for me. Luckily I play docked only like 99.999% of the time.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The bar moves so little when you win! I'm getting the hang of it, just dunked 3 games in a row (and won 5 in a row!), but I wanna make a lovely league team with my friend!

Update: I managed to get to 3 ominous cracks, but then I ranked up and the bar healed itself. So you too can come back from your devastating losses

Zelder fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 22, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Akarshi posted:

What happens when it breaks at C-? Is there a D rank?

The game uninstalls itself and turns on a parental lock

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bisk: "hey man wanna buy some shoes"
brosephine, sweating: "f... loving anime..."

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Getting real' tired of the forced 50% winrate.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Night Blade posted:

A lot of the powerful things from the old game has been nerfed or removed. A lot of it is understandable and welcome at first glance, such as the removal of the bubbler, inkzooka and Kraken; but I worry that too much nerfing might make the end game more stale once people get used to the game.

I'm still having a great time so far though.

Comparing the old specials with the new ones, I've noticed that all of them seem to share an element that wasn't present in the old ones. Mainly, that none of them are instant. A big reason why the old specials were considered overpowered was that they essentially were a get out of jail free card. For example, instant invulnerability with the kraken or bubbler or one shot kills with the inkzooka. This was a problem because it was frustrating to get rebuffed like that when you were about to get an earned splat. All of the new specials have some sort of delay meaning you have to plan ahead. Even though the new specials don't have that instant power, they still can have a dramatic effect when used correctly. A lot of the specials now have a focus on area coverage like the missiles targeting multiple people with many shots or the inkjet giving you an advantageous position. In a game like Splatoon where area control is a tangible aspect, I think the new specials are still useful just without the frustration when they're being used against you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay so what the heck is going on with the XP from turf war. I know I won't care about this once I hit 10 but it seems to be:

Time Bonus from ranked even though you can't get eliminated in Turf War: 300 XP
Cover at least 400 ground: 500 XP
Win Bonus "+ 1000": 600 XP

Why do none of these numbers make sense?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

pulp rag posted:

I wouldn't go that far but I will say the matchmaking is horrible. Putting lv 1s in games against lv 10+ is just stupid for all involved.

It does feel sometimes that after a few wins the game gives you a bunch of muppets to babysit but its likely coincidence. Honesty, I think saying that Splatoon 2 matchmaking is smart enough to even work out how and when to do that would be giving it too much credit.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I really wish the "forced 50% winrate" misconception would die. You have two options, win or lose. If there's a system in place that attempts to place similarly skilled people together, of course you're going to get half wins and half losses. It's a sign the matchmaker is doing it's job and placing you where you need to be.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Okay so what the heck is going on with the XP from turf war. I know I won't care about this once I hit 10 but it seems to be:

The time bonus is static so that you're guaranteed 300 points if you complete a turf war, ensuring that even the worst players still level up. Similar to the "get at least 400 (I thought it was 500) ink down and we'll level you up". The win bonus gives you 1000+ exp for your clothes, but only 600 for your level bar.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pichupal posted:

Someone asked about the Inkbrush before.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/888677583071592449?s=09

Tomorrow.

woot!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I don't know how I feel about this game. It's like a exact copy of Splatoon 1, even down to the hub city, and they still refused to change a lot of the problems Splatoon 1 had. I feel like you could stick Splatoon 1 and 2 I front of someone ask them to tell them apart and they couldn't.

This is objectively false.

How about a new hub city, different art style (which all those games do), different environments??or atleast fix the problems the first game has?

I feel it's the opposite. Of Splatoon 2 was on PS4 it would get hammered for being more of the same , bad UI, log load times and very shallow. But it gets the Nintendo Luxury of quirkiness so they aren't forced into fixing problems that multiplat devs are.

IT IS A DIFFERENT HUB CITY WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Onean posted:

I really wish the "forced 50% winrate" misconception would die. You have two options, win or lose. If there's a system in place that attempts to place similarly skilled people together, of course you're going to get half wins and half losses. It's a sign the matchmaker is doing it's job and placing you where you need to be.

but what's the point of playing games when you can't curbstomp other people and make them feel bad? :thunk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Why does every Nintendo game thread have to be a hugbox?

This isn't a hugbox you're just extremely thick.

Do I need to post screenshots to show you how loving wrong you are?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 22, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My God there are some insufferable wretches in this thread who absolutely refuse to enjoy good things.

Two real questions:

Do the alternate colors of the Splatoon 1 amiibo give different rewards?

The food truck tickets list 20 qty. Do those seem to be use them and they're gone forever type items?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pulp rag posted:

You mean matchmaking? :psyduck:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If someone can prove the hub city is that different that'd be great because to me it looks and acts the same except maybe the shops are on a different side

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh you don't get xp at all if you get owned horribly in ranked, I guess I better stick with turf war until my double xp food wears off

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

DalaranJ posted:

Time bonus is to reward you for staying for the whole match and to speed up leveling. Then you can get 300 more points for covering 300 units of ground, or 500 for covering 500. You can then get 600 points when you win. Finally, the +1000 is your freshness bonus, worth 1000 XP, which is gained by reaching certain milestones regarding your current win-streak with your equipped weapon. This is viewed in the area just above the maps while you're waiting for people to join the lobby.

Edit: Oh, I guess the 1000 is maybe a clothing thing?

Calihan posted:

I wouldn't go that far but I will say the matchmaking is horrible. Putting lv 1s in games against lv 10+ is just stupid for all involved.

It does feel sometimes that after a few wins the game gives you a bunch of muppets to babysit but its likely coincidence. Honesty, I think saying that Splatoon 2 matchmaking is smart enough to even work out how and when to do that would be giving it too much credit.

In Turf War you get put into a group of 10 players based on the matchmaker, which takes a few games to get your place, and then the game randomly assigns teams from that group of people, randomly reassigning teams every match so you don't always have the same people in both teams. People leave and join, which means the matchmaking score is going to move around a bit, and sometimes you'll get unlucky and be paired with the people on the lower end of the average while the other team is on the higher end.

Ranked has a much tighter bind on ranking. It also prefers to keep teams together I believe, unless I'm misremembering from Splatoon 1.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 22, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Onean posted:

Eh, I managed to lose six games in a row while covering the most turf and getting more splats than my whole team combined. Losing means I didn't do enough for the children on my team. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If someone can prove the hub city is that different that'd be great because to me it looks and acts the same except maybe the shops are on a different side

Jesus Christ.

They're both bright colored urban locations. That's literally all they have in common.

Splat 1:

Huge wide open round area, big Eiffel Tower / Tokyo Tower style building in the middle.

Splat 2:

Narrow road with side alleys, huge screens, feels very Times Square esque. Very compact.

They are 100% completely different. Its entirely new assets.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i miss that big ramp in splatoon 1 plaza that went up to where callie/marie were

there was nothing up there really but it was fun to walk up there sometimes and it gave the sense the plaza was bigger than it actually was

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Load times are a legitimate complaint, it's cool if they don't bother you but 2 seconds to get in and out of each menu adds up especially when there's no reason for that menu to require a load time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Jesus Christ.

They're both bright colored urban locations. That's literally all they have in common.

Splat 1:

Huge wide open round area, big Eiffel Tower / Tokyo Tower style building in the middle.

Splat 2:

Narrow road with side alleys, huge screens, feels very Times Square esque. Very compact.

They are 100% completely different. Its entirely new assets.

Hu I was wrong but that's brings to light another problem; all the art is very derivative and feels the same. If I had that same feeling as it being the same city then I'm sure plenty others have.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

On The one hand he's right that mega threads tend to be overly positive and way too harsh oh criticism but on the other hand he's be banned from the switch thread and the rock band due to terminal angry brain internet posting so lol at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i miss that big ramp in splatoon 1 plaza that went up to where callie/marie were

there was nothing up there really but it was fun to walk up there sometimes and it gave the sense the plaza was bigger than it actually was

The first map was nice and open but took awhile to get around. The second one is more compact and fast, but I would personally kinda prefer it be more spread out and then allow us to ink in the city and swim around :)

Either way you can always teleport.

Still, the idea that the two cities are the same and they didn't change anything is absolutely ridiculous. Its 100% entirely new poo poo, they didn't copy anything.