Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I still find it strange that ancient Rome had a verb that translates as facefuck and that it saw apparent common use.

Like to me that suggests that facefucking was a very important component of Roman culture and that there was probably a bunch of social rules about who, when, where, and why facefucking is appropriate.

And I also feel like therefore, somewhere, there must have been some books written to coach the children of the nobility on facefucking decorum.

And I will likely never get to read that book.

They also had had a word for "back of the head" (occipitum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Squalid posted:

What does it say about your culture that your language also had a perfect synonym for irrumatio in the word facefuck

Compound derivative word. Though I don't know enough latin to tell whether or not irrumbawhateverlatinconjugation is also one.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Compound derivative word. Though I don't know enough latin to tell whether or not irrumbawhateverlatinconjugation is also one.

It's not.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/for-40-years-this-russian-family-was-cut-off-from-all-human-contact-unaware-of-world-war-ii-7354256/

Crossposting this great article about a remote Russian family that gives a glimpse into how most of humanity lived like through most of the history.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Humans are communal animals, so "cut off from everyone in the middle of nowhere" isn't really how humanity tended to live through most of history :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Their technological adaptations could probably provide some insight into how early human tribes adapted into the variety of ecosystems they migrated into though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheetah7071 posted:

Their technological adaptations could probably provide some insight into how early human tribes adapted into the variety of ecosystems they migrated into though

The article says they basically fashioned birchbark replacements for known technology though, as opposed to, say, figuring out you could hurl a spear faster with a longer lever and churning out the atlatl.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Birchbark is a pretty fine material.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reading about Amazon tribes has given me the impression that the natural state of humanity is doing a few hours of work every day and lying around chatting the rest of the time which jibes pretty well with people's actual Behavior in comfortable occupations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's the most accurate chronicle known from antiquity, as far as anyone can figure? I'm not even fussed about the scale of it, it could be Iohannes Q. Publicola's account of the town of Nihildunum ("Excavations have shown that his description of the municipal sewage system was remarkably on-point") or it could be a broad description of Europe that was free of elaboration ("this ancient author at least admitted he had no idea what was on the far side of the Dneipr and did not venture to guess what was there").

Ancient accounts of history and geography weren't even trying to go for the same sort of objective this-is-how-it-is sort of thing that a lot of modern works go for, but every period of history has its weird dudes that do weird things, so I'm curious if there is some old dude from Alexandria or Ephesus or somesuch who actually did try to write plainly and without fabrications about stuff, even if his peers said his work was boring and lame and stupid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hard to say. The first thing that comes to mind is Procopius' books about Justinian's wars. Those are generally considered to be accurate from all I've read. Caesar's book on the Gallic Wars certainly paints him in a good light but I don't know of anybody who thinks it's wrong.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Procopius' Wars are pretty sober but idk how seriously to take the guy when he also wrote the Secret History.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

my dad posted:

Humans are communal animals, so "cut off from everyone in the middle of nowhere" isn't really how humanity tended to live through most of history :v:

That's true but there are some things that are probably universal and were memorable, at least to me.

- poor diet leading to kidney failure and who knows how many other causes of early death
- difficult decisions whether to eat the grains or save them for seeding
- in times of hunger family members sacrificing themselves so that others may live
- value of salt
- extreme religiousness
- keeping track of time as something you have to work on

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 22, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I find it fascinating that Dmitriy invented persistence hunting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doctor Malaver posted:

That's true but there are some things that are probably universal and were memorable, at least to me.

- in times of hunger family members sacrificing themselves so that others may live

lol I think you over way overestimating the nobility of humans.
Grandma is going in the pot if the harvest goes bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I always wonder at how people from here in the US often talk about how getting some land and living alone is more of a natural way to live. From primate bands to hunter gatherer tribes to farming villages to crowded cities human beings have always lived very close together. Living in a tiny apartment in a huge dense city is the most natural human way to be.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 22, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
There is no natural way. That's the fallacy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the important thing is that humans form social relationships with one another, whether in large familial/non-familial groups, or with friends and workmates, or online scraeming about kekistan and white genocide from my parent's basement

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phobophilia posted:

the important thing is that humans form social relationships with one another, whether in large familial/non-familial groups, or with friends and workmates, or online scraeming about kekistan and white genocide from my parent's basement

It's not like people talking about moving to the country and "living alone" actually mean a unabomber shack 60 miles from the nearest farm. They generally mean with their family and within easy travel range of a whole bunch of other people.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Reading about Amazon tribes has given me the impression that the natural state of humanity is doing a few hours of work every day and lying around chatting the rest of the time which jibes pretty well with people's actual Behavior in comfortable occupations.

It's interesting that when we look at the human genome, there's not much evidence for strong selective pressure on our recent ancestors, or selective pressure that varies between different human populations (skin color is one of few exceptions here). This is to say the evidence indicates primitive humans didn't often suffer from the the kind of dramatic disasters that wipes out whole families or face a grueling struggle just to survive, it seems that by the time they left Africa they were already pretty dang good at making a living.

Of course modern Amazonian tribes have cultures that are highly derived in comparison to our ancestors from 50,000 years ago, so you have to be careful about making these kinds of comparisons.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's that whole thing with the Amazon too where we're piecing together the city-building culture that used to live there, slowly but surely, and it's all pretty neat even though we have the barest outlines as of yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Squalid posted:

It's interesting that when we look at the human genome, there's not much evidence for strong selective pressure on our recent ancestors, or selective pressure that varies between different human populations (skin color is one of few exceptions here). This is to say the evidence indicates primitive humans didn't often suffer from the the kind of dramatic disasters that wipes out whole families or face a grueling struggle just to survive, it seems that by the time they left Africa they were already pretty dang good at making a living.

It's one of the core things we've gotten from evolution. Humans are very hard to kill, we survive things a lot of other species can't.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Squalid posted:

Of course modern Amazonian tribes have cultures that are highly derived in comparison to our ancestors from 50,000 years ago, so you have to be careful about making these kinds of comparisons.

Aside from that theory that puts a huge population bottleneck at the ice age, right?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 23, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Squalid posted:

That doesn't bode well for my dad's "in olden times only the strong survived" theory.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grevling posted:

That doesn't bode well for my dad's "in olden times only the strong survived" theory.

People really don't get evolution. Humans are even harder because we're so social that in a lot of situations it's best to think of our evolution as a group thing rather than purely individual. There are a lot of people who survive and reproduce who wouldn't if we were solitary, and it's probably been that way as long as modern humans have existed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Put it this way, we don't throw decrepit 50 year olds to the wolves, we keep them as village elders, as they can help raise the children.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The first ape was already a social animal much less the last common ape. The man alone is a dumb 18th century concept.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

Put it this way, we don't throw decrepit 50 year olds to the wolves, we keep them as village elders, as they can help raise the children.

Unless they belong to the next village then you'd kill them for as little as a boner because gently caress Tribe Otherguys.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

LingcodKilla posted:

Unless they belong to the next village then you'd kill them for as little as a boner because gently caress Tribe Otherguys.

Nah, you'd split the difference and place them in your tribe in some sort of unfree state, with all rituals performed and customs adhered to. Then you've got old people who can do your work and not complain about it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don't need those filthy olds telling stories to the young slaves who actually are worth their provisions.
Throw her in the pot.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Aside from that theory that puts a huge population bottleneck at the ice age, right?

This is an area where fashionable current theory can shift rapidly, but I think the current most popular hypotheses have pushed those events back a bit in time. What is pretty clear though is that once humans left Africa their genome really changed very little, and those changes that did occur were mostly just due to more-or-less luck. This is somewhat surprising because if you dropped a few sparrows in Australia and a few more in Norway you'd expect to find rapid adaptions to different foods and etc, but we don't see a lot of that in humans. We can tell this because natural selection leaves a particular signature in the genome that's different from that of a bottleneck. We start to see a lot more changes though after the development of agriculture, when diets really shift dramatically.

There are some exceptions, for example modern Inuit appear to have had recent strong selection for mutations that make them better at coping with a diet high in marine fats. Basically they seem to have evolved natural protection from heart disease and high cholesterol. This is notable because some of the research indicating a diet high in omega-three fatty acids was good for your heart comes studying these populations, but given their genetic adaptations what works for them wouldn't necessarily work for a someone with European genetics. I'd probably leave the fish oil capsules on the shelf.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Squalid posted:

There are some exceptions, for example modern Inuit appear to have had recent strong selection for mutations that make them better at coping with a diet high in marine fats. Basically they seem to have evolved natural protection from heart disease and high cholesterol. This is notable because some of the research indicating a diet high in omega-three fatty acids was good for your heart comes studying these populations, but given their genetic adaptations what works for them wouldn't necessarily work for a someone with European genetics. I'd probably leave the fish oil capsules on the shelf.

IIRC Africans likewise have adaptations against osteoporosis Europeans don't.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nah, you'd split the difference and place them in your tribe in some sort of unfree state, with all rituals performed and customs adhered to. Then you've got old people who can do your work and not complain about it.

Nah, you'd kill them then absorb their childbearing aged women into your tribe.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Still seems like a waste of good captives to me but, hey, I wasn't chosen by the Sky Wolf or whatever.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Squalid posted:

Likewise polynesians tend to be quite thrifty with their calories (if they didn't, they wouldn't have survived their long boat journeys). This means that when they are exposed to a Western diet they develop obesity and diabetes (47% of American Samoans have type 2 diabetes).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arglebargle III posted:

it's gossip and high-school level drama

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Most noticable individual adaptations are probably CF, Sickle Cell, and lactose tolerance, just because the first two come with a very obvious downside when on both chromosomes.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Most noticable individual adaptations are probably CF, Sickle Cell, and lactose tolerance, just because the first two come with a very obvious downside when on both chromosomes.

What's the upside to being a cf carrier?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

P-Mack posted:

It might produce increased resistance to cholera and typhoid fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

P-Mack posted:

Getting out of assignments in college.