Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Funny as hell finish. French saltiness to the maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
You don't have to win a bike race to be a winner, but he is a winner

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol at them not even putting a timer up for Froome

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

peanut- posted:

lol at them not even putting a timer up for Froome

The race center on the official website still has Bardet as the last rider to finish, lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Landa's gonna turn into a leading sprinter overnight. It won't be as hard as usual because most of them are dead.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sky should embrace being the supervillains of cycling and go for the second tomorrow.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Well he had no competent competition, and at least Sky didn't get two podium spots

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Sky should embrace being the supervillains of cycling and go for the second tomorrow.

That would probably cause the French to abolish the Tour, soo... :yeah:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'd totally be cool with sky pulling that. It would make tomorrow interesting at least.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tsaedje posted:

Well he had no competent competition, and at least Sky didn't get two podium spots

Reminds me of Nibalis win a few years back. Froome didn't really have to do anything except defend in the mountains given his competition.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oliwan posted:

I don't know, maybe you could leave this thread, find out, and never come back?

Sure. It's been fun.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

:perfect:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/888827514092740610

:ohdear:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Possibly the worst Tour of my lifetime

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
every year is the new worst tour

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can't wait for the Vuelta though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

To be fair he was carrying the entire nation of france today.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The inside of his left knee looks vile.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Easier to pull a TT rider up a hill than teach a climber to TT.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres more salt in l'equipe tomorrow than the entire peloton sweat out over the tour.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

serious gaylord posted:

Reminds me of Nibalis win a few years back. Froome didn't really have to do anything except defend in the mountains given his competition.

Nibali at least managed to win 4 stages
Nibali at least managed to be fastest of his team in the final TT (or any TT for that matter)
He had over 7 minutes advantage at the end. He crushed the competition.

Froome rode the best Tour of all participants, he was never dominant but always consistent. None of the others ever gave the impression they could do something.

I really wish a good Dumoulin would have participated. Sky probably would have had to try something in the mountains.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
2011 is still the last, good, tour de france.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Cannon

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

:australia:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
This tour could have been a lot worse. At least it teased with the possibility of someone taking over from Froome, even though they never did anything about it. He didn't have like a half an hour lead from the first week or anything. But too many sprint stages too, and why have a sprint stage yesterday?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I eagerly await the oncoming doping scandal that no one saw coming.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

So froomes on 4 wins, 1 behind big mig, merckx, hinault and anquetil. He's easily going to get a 5th and quite frankly has a 6th and 7th in him with the strength of sky.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Quite frankly, Chris Froome is the greatest cyclist the world has ever seen.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
I've only watched the Tour in the Sky era. What makes it so boring now as opposed to when guys like Hinault, Armstrong, or Indurain were dominating?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
We aren't 5 years old anymore

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
It was boring too. The most exciting tours are those when the old guy is retiring and we're yet to find out who we will watch winning for the next seven years.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Some of Armstrongs tours were just as boring, but most years there was someone (usually named Jan Ullrich) who wasn't content with second place trying something stupid and/or cool in the mountains.

The whole "overpaid team with """"superior training methods"""" that only focusses on one race per year" was just as annoying though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pube Factory posted:

I've only watched the Tour in the Sky era. What makes it so boring now as opposed to when guys like Hinault, Armstrong, or Indurain were dominating?

Armstrong had people like pantani, riis and ullrich to deal with. The main thing though is we had a brief period with some cool and good tours like 2010 and 2011 where andy schleck went on a huge massively long range attack to try and win outright rather then have people just simply trying to defend podiums as we do now. Last few years people simply haven't been willing to risk a place to try and better their position. There's a bunch of old pros who are always surprised about how froome is almost never attacked if the other GC guys manage to isolate them as they'd rather to work with him to real in someone who might be threatening their 4th place

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The world tour points system seems to incentivise that kind of riding hard to defend an otherwise meaningless 8th place or whatever.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Since Sky, the best tour to actually watch has been the Giro, so let's be thankful there's still a cool three week race not constantly ruined by one team.

It'll get good again in a couple of years when Froome's declined enough and not been replaced yet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Froome's not really even the problem. The team being able to outlast all the others and have him constantly shepherded around while other teams are down to solo riders is the problem. He was pretty much only ever on his own for the TT stages, and he's the strongest of the GCs at those by a large distance.

Tom could provide an interesting foil for him.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's no women's race on the Champs-Elysees this year? That's rubbish, watching their annual loving massive crash is usually the highlight of Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peanut- posted:

There's no women's race on the Champs-Elysees this year? That's rubbish, watching their annual loving massive crash is usually the highlight of Sunday.

Think they finish in Marseille this year