Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
I'm sure it's been asked countless times, but what are the recommended mods for a first playthrough? I'm thinking at least NVAC, Nevada Skies, Character Overhaul, and the texture packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Aghama posted:

I'm sure it's been asked countless times, but what are the recommended mods for a first playthrough? I'm thinking at least NVAC, Nevada Skies, Character Overhaul, and the texture packs.

I'm on my first play through, and I just installed CASM because of saving related issues.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
CASM and JSawyer

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

2house2fly posted:

CASM and JSawyer
I considered JSawyer, but to be honest the "major changes" includes several things that would make my first playthrough more annoying (level cap of 30 and reduced carry limit especially).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just use Project Nevada and tweak settings to your liking.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
My standard advice for someone new to the game is to keep it simple and not go overboard with a lot of mods. Especially don't install big overhaul mods like JSawyer or Project Nevada immediately.
Go play the vanilla game for a hour or two until you have sense of what you'd like to change, add or remove. Then go hunting for mods that do that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sprint Button yay or nay for newcomers?

I have no idea how I got through the game without it the first time through. Movement is so slow. But sprinting makes areas and situations like Dead Money much less tense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

Sprint Button yay or nay for newcomers?

Use Animation Project instead of PN's sprint feature.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Raygereio's idea is the best, I think. My first playthrough was 100% no mods and it was fine. Without a baseline experience to compare to, it's really hard to judge whether or not any gameplay altering mods are going to be good or not.

Mods which don't alter gameplay but just remove frustration - CASM, NVAC - are pretty close to universally good ideas. Texture packs could go in the same bucket, I guess. Character overhauls I'd be a little more skeptical about, but maybe that's because of that one weirdo who made that awful NPC overhaul mod I've thankfully purged from memory. I'd just play NV at that point.

like, I know it's a very moddable engine, but it's also a complete retail product on its own which is extremely good without a single mod.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Invisible Wall Remover falls under the same category as CASM, I think.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

casm
nvec
YUP
jsawyer
wmx

done

The invisible walls are usually placed in spots to prevent stupid cheese strats or weird things like walking along the red rock skybox. All of the removers I've seen also remove those which, sure, makes sense, but it doesn't make the game more or less fun.

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 5, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I use the invisible wall remover because of the more obvious ones it removes, not so I can circumnavigate mountains.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I use the invisible wall remover because of the more obvious ones it removes,

such as

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ledges around Primm Pass for one, and especially parts around Bitter Springs where flat surfaces just suddenly end. Makes getting up to the Great Khan cave a much less painful task.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there's loads, I always thought people were complaining abnout nothing until I replayed a year or two ago and bumped into them loving everywhere in the dumbest places

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I recall there being a lot all along that mountain range on the way to Novac/Black Mountain even in places a player could otherwise easily traverse through.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's loads, I always thought people were complaining abnout nothing until I replayed a year or two ago and bumped into them loving everywhere in the dumbest places
In the 800+ hours I've played New Vegas, there are a grand total of 3 times I ran into an invisible wall. All three were in Honest Hearts and were obviously there to keep me from getting stuck in some geometry.
I guess I'm the weirdo who doesn't go rock climbing when there are way easier traversal paths around that mountain.

I do sometimes think people confuse invisible walls with collision boxes. There are number of placable things whose collisions boxes way bigger then the visible model. So you think you can squeeze through some gap in a fence, or go underneath a pipe, because visually you can. But you'll be blocked by the collision box.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What are some good mods to spice it up in this post-FO4 age, it's been a good while since I played this game.

My standard mods consist of Project Nevada, WMX and MTUI and I basically always end up doing sneakin' and snipin' with a soft spot for energy weapons. What good stuff am I missing, and have there been any cool new mods in the last couple of years? :v:

Raygereio posted:

In the 800+ hours I've played New Vegas, there are a grand total of 3 times I ran into an invisible wall.

:same: except replace "invisible wall" with "road"also I probably haven't played it that much

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Hm, yes, the very reasonable invisible walls in New Vegas.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you did it

you found the one

incredible, good work

*scales side of cliff and snipes entire cities with zero repercussions*

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I ran into invisible walls all the time, they are dumb.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I didn't run into any invisible walls in my first playthrough, and then ran into a bunch on subsequent runs :shrug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Raygereio posted:

In the 800+ hours I've played New Vegas, there are a grand total of 3 times I ran into an invisible wall. All three were in Honest Hearts and were obviously there to keep me from getting stuck in some geometry.
I guess I'm the weirdo who doesn't go rock climbing when there are way easier traversal paths around that mountain.

I do sometimes think people confuse invisible walls with collision boxes. There are number of placable things whose collisions boxes way bigger then the visible model. So you think you can squeeze through some gap in a fence, or go underneath a pipe, because visually you can. But you'll be blocked by the collision box.

Maybe we can put an invisible wall between this thread and your posts. :smuggo:

(jk)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are any of the perk mods listed in the OP worth picking up (or other perk mods if they're out there)? Any other interesting mods that deal with character progression to make it a lil' different?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you did it

you found the one

incredible, good work

*scales side of cliff and snipes entire cities with zero repercussions*

:thunk:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I didn't run into any invisible walls in my first playthrough, and then ran into a bunch on subsequent runs :shrug:

you mean when you tried to take shortcuts?

gently caress invisiwalls - mod them out errday

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Before I start digging through my load order to find the culprit, anyone ever have a problem like this? Only happens for some weapons (usually new ones I've downloaded and am excited about using :argh:), and only while ADSing. I assumed it was my larger FOV loving things up somehow, but I've been messing around with that and the only way I can use it to fix the problem is by setting it so low that I'd prefer not to play, even FNV's default unacceptably-low setting isn't low enough.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are you using a mod that could change the first person aiming animation? Some of them do that. I imagine they can't compensate for additional modded guns unless specifically patched for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
FOV definitely fucks it up. I'd suggest using the 1st Person Animation Overhaul, and set your FOV to 75 or higher. That's worked for me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've been having a thing where killcam sometimes fucks up my FOV, usually when a companion kills stuff. Going out of and back to first person fixes it though, and I have entirely too many mods installed anyway so lol

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah I had a similar glitch when I was using a FOV higher than 89. I stick to 89 even now.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Thanks for the suggestions, turns out I was using Hitman's animation replacers (had 'em so long I forgot they were there), but they didn't seem to be the culprit, so I dicked around with my FOV some more and managed to get it in a place where the error only shows up in a handful of guns I care about, and I was able to fix those by just manually adjusting their sight FOVs until they worked fine. I can't set my player FOV higher than mid-sixties which sucks but I can live with it more than I can hosed up ironsights so I'll call this a win.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Bob Socko's Girlfriend: "Hey honey, let's put boobs on . . .?"

Bob Socko: "What?"

Bob Socko's Girlfriend: "The tab, it says puts boobs on something."

Bob Socko: "*explains how game mod communities are weird and release lots of nude / tit mods*"

Bob Socko's Girlfriend: ". . ."

Bob Socko: "*explains mole rats are an enemy in the game and that adding boobs to them makes fun of weirdos who do nude mods*"

Bob Socko's Girlfriend: "What's a mod?"

My girlfriend is in no way stupid, but stupid poo poo on the internet is unknown to her. She's probably better off that way.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Something Awful Forums: The Internet Makes You Stupid

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Bob Socko's Girlfriend: "What's a mod?"

You may want to recommend she take a seat before continuing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Something Awful Forums: Bob Socko's "Girlfriend"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mod interactions lead to fun things

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Well? Did he?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I heard enough.

And "Quoth" is a better raven name than Nevermore.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well? Did he?

It's a line that gets added in as an effect of jet addiction/withdrawl from this one mod. You ask it and the response is generally like "what?" and you reply with a "nevermind", basically. I should try it more though, see if there are other responses to find.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I heard enough.

And "Quoth" is a better raven name than Nevermore.

If you keep hitting say nothing it recites the entire poem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Returning to FNV after playing other RPGs, it's really weird how you're forced to level up as soon as you reach the experience cap.

in FO1, FO2 and FOT I pretty much always saved my perk and skill points for when "I really needed it". Apparently there's a mod that changes this partially, but it still only allows you to screw around with your points when you level up, it just stacks them between levels.