Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm still hopeful for PvE. PvE is inherently more diverse than 4v4 only pvp, can actually be adjusted easier with respect to cooldowns/power strength and the story mission was pretty good.

And there's no weird twitch-ball-gargling philosophy that's driving the PvE side of things.

To me the strike feels bad because the powers suck (which can be fixed in PvE) and it seems like it was included because it was made first, so before a bunch of ideas from late stage destiny were looped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they've already said pve is changing

The game is less than 2 months away. They need to press discs in like 3 weeks. PvE can't really change that much.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

quote:

The PVE game tuning has changed pretty significantly since the Beta build was deployed. The nature of a Beta of this scale requires that it’s based off a build of the game that is now months old. So, in many cases, your feedback is helping us validate changes that were previously made based on internal feedback and playtesting. For example, we too felt that ammo (especially power ammo) was too scarce in PvE. In addition to retuning the drop rates, we built a system that guarantees power ammo drops for you and your Fireteam from certain enemies, giving power weapons a more reliable and predictable role in your arsenal. Other areas where we’ve made significant tuning changes include grenade effectiveness in PvE, Boss vitality, and weapon damage against non-player combatants.

??????????????

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm waiting for the Kotaku story on the development of D2 for the part where the PvE team heads over to the PvP wing with chains and broken bottles, and are only stopped at the last second when Luke Smith gives a really impassioned speech to both sides about friendship.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just don't understand how a game can let me be a goddamn space wizard who shoots bombs out of my hands and make me feel so pathetically weak

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The game is less than 2 months away. They need to press discs in like 3 weeks. PvE can't really change that much.

The biggest changes people are clamoring for are cooldown rates, ability damage, and ammo rates, which can all be changed in 5 minutes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

And there's no weird twitch-ball-gargling philosophy that's driving the PvE side of things.

I hate this renewed need to pander to esports. It always makes the game less fun.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
I finally got to play the beta cause I forgot to pre-order. Destiny 2 is a really good game. I'll probably end up playing on the PS4 until my friends burn out and I get convinced to switch to PC for some dumb reason

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
e-sports is where the visibility, and therefore, money, is at. you can dislike it but don't act like it's puzzling. having people pvping on twitch is at this point free advertising.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

e-sports is where the visibility, and therefore, money, is at. you can dislike it but don't act like it's puzzling. having people pvping on twitch is at this point free advertising.

It's not confusing, just lovely.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Yeah it's understandable, unfortunately.

What's not is this weird "we are making the outward facing aspects of game all esportsy but the core tech is a flaming pile of poo poo and you're not even getting private matches."

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
at the end of destiny 1's lifetime, pvp has effectively 'at around three minutes, constantly circle the map behind your roaming supers to chain them'.

i can get why that's fun, especially if you're constantly playing with friends, but it's not personally enjoyable to me and it's certainly not balanced. i'm sure the radical departure from d1 isn't great news to a lot of people, but i'm generally happy with the pvp.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

What's not is this weird "we are making the outward facing aspects of game all esportsy but the core tech is a flaming pile of poo poo and you're not even getting private matches."

i don't know if it's Fake News, but i read somewhere itt that we're not actually using the d2 networks/servers, just adapted d1 ones, so it might be better at launch.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't know if it's Fake News, but i read somewhere itt that we're not actually using the d2 networks/servers, just adapted d1 ones, so it might be better at launch.

This would make absolutely no sense since the biggest point of the beta for Bungie was stress testing their servers.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I for one can't wait for the Blizzard-sponsored Destiny World Cup finals on ESPN 2 where director yells at the switcher to find something, ANYTHING interesting during a match

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just don't understand how a game can let me be a goddamn space wizard who shoots bombs out of my hands and make me feel so pathetically weak

Paul Zuvella posted:

Paul Zuvella posted:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

qbert posted:

This would make absolutely no sense since the biggest point of the beta for Bungie was stress testing their servers.

lol no. They can call it a "beta" but it's really just a limited time demo to hype poo poo.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FishBulb posted:

lol no. They can call it a "beta" but it's really just a limited time demo to hype poo poo.

Doubtful since it seems to have had the opposite effect. Also the social space being open for a random hour on Sunday is not very hype.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
This thread: :qq:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
"Waahhhh I'm an old bitch and old things are better than new things"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Everyone pissed and moaned about destiny 1 in the first thread when it wasn't the same thing as halo and then you all somehow managed to put 420,000 hours into it collectively

Something tells me you'll all be pissplaying this game for 1000 hours a piece too

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

qbert posted:

Doubtful since it seems to have had the opposite effect. Also the social space being open for a random hour on Sunday is not very hype.

It's absolutely hype.

Just because they made a lovely beta does not mean the intention was to advertise. They just hosed up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I enjoyed the beta and all of my complaints are easy fixes. I don't have a "fundamental philosophical disagreement" with Bungie.

Except they totally should break PvE and PvP continuity.

FishBulb posted:

It's absolutely hype.

Just because they made a lovely beta does not mean the intention was to advertise. They just hosed up.

Yo I don't even know what you're arguing about I was just saying they're probably not using D1 servers in the beta.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 22, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

qbert posted:

I enjoyed the beta and all of my complaints are easy fixes. I don't have a "fundamental philosophical disagreement" with Bungie.

Except they totally should break PvE and PvP continuity.

they did in destiny 1 and they've already said they are in d2, unless i'm misunderstanding what 'pve and pvp continuity' is

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they did in destiny 1 and they've already said they are in d2, unless i'm misunderstanding what 'pve and pvp continuity' is

In D1 when they nerf a gun for PvP it also gets nerfed for PvE. So PvE pays for the sins of PvP constantly.

That's continuity.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm not owned, I'm not owned, I insist as fail to kill a yellow bar with a super

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
destiny is the biggest wasted potential for a series since pokemon.

if you gave this aesthetic and world to a good dev team it would've been the best mmo ever made, instead it's a lovely yearly installment PSO full of call of duty halo bro retards.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
am i missing some amount of irony because when i think of 'franchise that went poorly' i don't really think 'pokemon'

also the best mmo ever made was never going to be an fps, come on my dude

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

destiny is ... full of call of duty halo bro retards.

What's the issue?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I know the internet is rife with hyperbole but Jesus Christ, guys.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
pull up thread

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I don't see why they had to change the entire PvP suite when Trials already accomplished this?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

SUNKOS posted:

I don't see why they had to change the entire PvP suite when Trials already accomplished this?

Trials is the exact opposite of what the "sweat" community did with the game after private matches debuted.

D1 was inherently VERY unbalanced; albeit fun. Trials was really a showcase of how uneven crucible was.

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013
I for one, am glad d2 is gonna suck. So that when I suck sloppy dicks and take the cones I can blame it on because there are only 3 other people on my team.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Loot is boring as poo poo in this game

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

am i missing some amount of irony because when i think of 'franchise that went poorly' i don't really think 'pokemon'

Well actually when I think about goon terribad opinions I think about posts similar to the one you replied to.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Trials is the exact opposite of what the "sweat" community did with the game after private matches debuted.

D1 was inherently VERY unbalanced; albeit fun. Trials was really a showcase of how uneven crucible was.

I think a compromise could be met since they've addressed a lot of problems with the change to the two primaries and power weapon system, in my opinion.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Maker Of Shoes posted:

pull up thread

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah this is the key point. If you were really good, trials was the least sweaty mode around. The real poo poo was the elim playlist which was trials, but where SBmM went to 11, and skirmish. You also had your dedicated rumble bros.

I can't believe they ditched rumble lmao.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Rift could have been awesome with some tweaks and adjustments, especially with the new class abilities that they've introduced to the game now. I'm surprised that they've ditched so much stuff and their new showpiece mode is bomb diffusion that plays almost the same way every single round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
honest to god loathed rift when it rolled out and by the end of D1 is was my preferred mode of 6's

also because my diamond rating in clash handed me pure unfiltered aids every game