Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Fil5000 posted:

The grin on his face when he says "the chumblies" is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkWPaTs4A4&t=385s

I love Moffat's reaction. He's just so happy to have found someone who's an even bigger Doctor Who nerd than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
SLASH weeping angels *crowd goes wild*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Attack the Block is pretty good! I really should have watched it sooner than this.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Is it Brewster that's the problem or the stories he's in? Because the only one of his I can remember liking is Industrial Evolution.

With Brewster, they really seem to have trouble telling the difference between "morally dubious scamp" and outright villainy. He should be, at worst, like a Victorian Quark, but his schemes approach Delgado Master-level destruction. And they always end like this:

Every Thomas Brewster story posted:

:rant: That's it, Brewster, I've had it with you! You've caused countless deaths, damage to the timeline, and left the city a wreck! Solely for your own personal gain!

:colbert: Really, Doctor, are you two that different? Now hug it out.

(While the Doctor is flabbergasted, Brewster steals the TARDIS. Again.)

:rant: BREWSTER!!

:colbert: He's just a confused kid! He'll straighten out, let up on him!
(repeat)

:psyboom:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh no, Victoria =(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This timeline sucks :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

toanoradian posted:

She did? Where?

edit: also, Capaldi a big fan of BF?

On a big finish audio. phone posting and I don't have it handy but it's a 10+Donna story called the deadliest planet or something. She narrates the whole thing. A message from 11 for 10 shows up and she imitates him quite smartly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, gosh, she was only 69. :(

RIP.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDw79__VRc

One of my favorite Second Doctor moments between Victoria and him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
"The rest of the time they sleep in my mind, and I forget."

Possibly my favourite Troughton scene, and that's saying something considering Jamie is not in it. Well, not conscious in it. He's asleep.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, if I had to pick a favorite moment from each Doctor, that probably would be Two's, although some of that might be because so much of his stuff loses something in the reproductions that are the only way to experience them anymore. Either way, it's a really great little moment.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
All of the old who's lose something with being transferred to digital. The fact is that they were filmed to be shown on tiny old TVs. Most people have no idea how terrifying Sil was to a small child watching on a tiny lovely TV, there was no difference in clarity between him and something you saw every day like a newsreader simply because of the broadcast quality.

motherfucker still gives me nightmares today. I used to do handstands backwards on the sofa until he went away. It was the tail that did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXCLN2mbFIo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
We are sadly 2 for 3 on Peters having lovely opinions.

While Capaldi is good and pure, Purves says casting a woman is "horrifying", and Davison is just oh so concerned about the loss of a good role model for boys.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

All of the old who's lose something with being transferred to digital. The fact is that they were filmed to be shown on tiny old TVs. Most people have no idea how terrifying Sil was to a small child watching on a tiny lovely TV, there was no difference in clarity between him and something you saw every day like a newsreader simply because of the broadcast quality.

motherfucker still gives me nightmares today. I used to do handstands backwards on the sofa until he went away. It was the tail that did it.

It's also not been kind of stop motion animation effects what so ever, or a lot of practical effects from the last century+. A lot of things that looked seamless in SD have been torn asunder by the modern day.

There's only so much future proofing one can do for media like this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Peter Purves is 78 years old but Peter Davison really needs to get over it. As long as we're shoving microphones in front of every companion's face, I hope if they find Bernard Cribbins, he says "Why yes, I think it's a lovely idea and I hope she does well, and I hope her Doctor visits Wilf so that I can be on the show again," in a voice that makes Chibnall feel that if they don't get him in for a brief cameo, everyone's hearts will break.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

"I am interested in science. I would not wish to... impede its progress. :smug:"

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Attack the Block is pretty good! I really should have watched it sooner than this.

Eh. The monsters were utterly unbelievable. I mean, nobody says "beLIEVE, bruv" that much, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

We are sadly 2 for 3 on Peters having lovely opinions.

While Capaldi is good and pure, Purves says casting a woman is "horrifying", and Davison is just oh so concerned about the loss of a good role model for boys.

Colin, however, remains a delight and basically went full Six on Davison for that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bicyclops posted:

James Bond is a womanizing chauvinist, typically speaking, but hell, there is no reason a theoretical Jane Bond couldn't also be a womanizing chauvinist.

Now that you mention it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7HVnZlleo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

learnincurve posted:

To be fair, I did watch Sil on a lovely small TV back when it was originally broadcast and even back then I thought he looked pretty lovely. Still enjoyed the character of course, but it looked rubbish!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wrong thread!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pro cat though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, James Bond is one of those characters that I think is so steeped in misogyny as an indelible part of the character that the best you can do is something like Atomic Blonde, where you take the same basic set-up and create a heroine in a similar tone and mold.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Or just take the piss out of it like that Melissa McCarthy movie a few years ago.

Jason Statham was the best part of that film. :allears:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I'd never watched a McCarthy/Feig movie before or after Spy, but Spy was really good. Statham has a surprising comic talent.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Box of Bunnies”" post="“474600965”"]

[/quote]

Turns back, thread. Turn back!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

I'd never watched a McCarthy/Feig movie before or after Spy, but Spy was really good. Statham has a surprising comic talent.

I've actually liked them all, but it is really incredible how Statham steals the show in Spy whenever he's on camera. He has really good chemistry in the outtakes too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

RIP.

That's brutal. At least she got to live long enough to see a female Doctor. :unsmith:

First Professor Litefoot, and now Victoria. A rough week for Victorian era companions.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toanoradian posted:

I feel like I should get into Bernice Summerfield. The only one I've ever heard is Just War and that's a bit too morbid for me. Is there sort of a consistent mood throughout the series? Is there an era in Doctor Who to which it resembles the closest? She's a companion of 7, so do her stories resemble 7's style of stories?

Benny's stories fluctuate between grim and campy - there's not really a consistent mood. I'd recommend any of The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield, as all you have to know is that she's a companion of the 7/8th Doctor.

I listened to her range out of order, and even though I've gone through all of them since, it's hard to suggest a start-point because they change the set-up every season. And because early on, they were expecting you to read the books detailing other stuff that was happening.

I kinda want to do a breakdown of her stuff at some point, because it's one of those weird wilderness years offshoots that is still about post-revival.

[e]: Aw man, Victoria and Litefoot in the same week. :smith:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...thinking about it, Capaldi was a good choice to be the "First Doctor" of his second Regeneration cycle
He's great at emoting with his face, much like Hartnell was

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a shame they got so stuck on the stern, grumpy take on him for series 8. Too much trying to make him space-Malcolm Tucker, when Peter's so good at showing kindness and compassion. gently caress the Zygon speech, the ones from The Pilot and The Doctor Falls nail it. Even the one with Davros in series 9, where he talks about the Doctor being an ideal that he very occasionally is able to live up to is great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's strange going back and looking at pictures of early Twelve when Capaldi wore his hair short. The longer hair suits him better as the Doctor.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's strange going back and looking at pictures of early Twelve when Capaldi wore his hair short. The longer hair suits him better as the Doctor.

It's surreal, really

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I was going through gifs I'd made of Capaldi's run recently and seeing him with the short hair felt really odd.

His hair by the end of The Doctor Falls was so perfect, and we're only going to get one more episode of it :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Today, once again, I was reminded I have to wait a year to see 13's costume and personality.

That medical coma idea is looking better and better but at the rate the states are going I'm afraid I'll wake up to a 28 Days Later scenario.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I was going through gifs I'd made of Capaldi's run recently and seeing him with the short hair felt really odd.

His hair by the end of The Doctor Falls was so perfect, and we're only going to get one more episode of it :(
Now we need take the Series 8 episodes and photoshop Series 10 Capaldi's hair onto the Doctor

Then give it a snarky scottish accent and have it provide running commentary for the series

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Started re-watching from the start of the revival, on New Earth now, It's been more than a decade and I still can't get over how loving stupid the ending is. Curing the disease zombies by dumping every drug into a big bucket, loving hell.

Ah started the werewolf episode as I'm typing- the monk is the creepy Scottish wizard from Game of Thrones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When I rewatched earlier this year series 2 really felt like a chore to get through

• Locked thread