Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JoshTheStampede posted:

I didn't play 7th so maybe I'm dumb but doesn't everything have Obsec now?

Yes, but specifically marine troops have a rule now that you can't outnumber them for capping purposes, if marines troops have an objective its theirs until you kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

SteelMentor posted:

According to the PDFs on the Pre-Order pages, Deathwatch can take all those new goodies.

I was gonna do some Bigly Celestial Lions, but Reivers are gonna look sick in Deathwatch colours.

Anyone who's got the snapfits reckon their right shoulders will be able to fit one of those 3Dprinted insignias on them?

Agreed, surprised we haven't cooked one up already.

My Imperial Fist insignias fit fine on the Reiver right shoulder, but it does take up most of the pad. The right shoulders are maybe 10% bigger than normal scout shoulders.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
If Aggressors are stationary, do they each get 4d6 hits during Overwatch?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

dexefiend posted:

If Aggressors are stationary, do they each get 4d6 hits during Overwatch?

Yes, the rule specifically says "including Overwatch".

dexefiend posted:

Ill be getting 2 of everything. I am glad the tank wont be out on this credit card billing cycle.

2 of each, drat! I feel like 20 Reivers is a bit much. I'm still trying to get a full 2K together and as noted, Primaris are not super anti-vehicle yet so I'll probably run a squad of Aggressors and a squad of Centurions with meltas.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Just wanted to point out how loving rad this is. How did you build it? Just styrofoam blocks and Lego windows?

Thanks! Its built with Hirst Art molds, the cast are made of hydrocal which is a stronger form of plaster of paris. I have posted more WIP shots and stuff in the terrain thread if you are more curious.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone been able to tell what the statline on the Intercessor grenade launcher is?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pendent posted:

Has anyone been able to tell what the statline on the Intercessor grenade launcher is?

It's not a separate weapon. It increases the range of their thrown grenades to 30".

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Strobe posted:

So Intercessors can take Stalker Bolt Rifles (whole squad or just one per five?), but can they take Auto Bolt Rifles? Box mags > scopes.

The miniature showcase seemed to indicate intercessors can take auto rifles:

"Ultramarine intercessors carry a variety of bolt rifles, including auto bolt rifles."

My guess is they'll do the same thing as they did with the Primaris Captain and have the bolter be modular with a gap in the middle you can slot in a normal mag, scope (for stalker) or box mag (for auto bolt rifle). It's a cool design imo.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I'm really happy with the rules for the units. Primaris will NOT be replacing regular marines as a better unit. *phew*

Thunderfire Cannons not only get access to Tremor Shells in CP form, but they changed the weapon profile to be AP-1, which is awesome.

Imperial Fists did get the short end of the stick though,. Arguably bottom-tier CT (given how diminished cover is in 8th), probably the worst Relic, definitely the worst Warlord Trait, and Bolter Drill only doubles up your bolter shots for a single unit ...on to-hit rolls of a 6+, after you've spent the CP. :(

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I am sort of dissapointed in the Fists stuff, not because it's BAD but it's just... less good than the other choices in most scenarios. I'm still gonna paint up my dudes as space bees but I think I'm going to go shopping for new chapter tactics :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I'm really happy with the rules for the units. Primaris will NOT be replacing regular marines as a better unit. *phew*

Thunderfire Cannons not only get access to Tremor Shells in CP form, but they changed the weapon profile to be AP-1, which is awesome.

Imperial Fists did get the short end of the stick though,. Arguably bottom-tier CT (given how diminished cover is in 8th), probably the worst Relic, definitely the worst Warlord Trait, and Bolter Drill only doubles up your bolter shots for a single unit ...on to-hit rolls of a 6+, after you've spent the CP. :(

How does Bolter Drill work exactly - each model that rolls a 6+ to hit can fire again? That's pretty bad.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It's not 1 per 5 - whole squad can take autos or stalkers -

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Corrode posted:

How does Bolter Drill work exactly - each model that rolls a 6+ to hit can fire again? That's pretty bad.

Yes. You pay 1CP and nominate a unit. For each roll to hit of a 6+ with a bolter weapon, you can fire a bolter weapon again.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

TwingeCrag posted:

I am sort of dissapointed in the Fists stuff, not because it's BAD but it's just... less good than the other choices in most scenarios. I'm still gonna paint up my dudes as space bees but I think I'm going to go shopping for new chapter tactics :(

Ya, I have a custom scratch-built Fists character that's a counts-as Vulkan He'Stan, and part of the requirement to use it is that the whole army has to use Salamanders special rules. Which, IMO, are WAY better.

It's this dude here:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Yes. You pay 1CP and nominate a unit. For each roll to hit of a 6+ with a bolter weapon, you can fire a bolter weapon again.

Might be fun if you're in Rapid Fire range with a full Tac or Intercessor squad or something, but most of the time that's pretty lame. At 20 shots that's an average of 3 extra bolters, which is kind of ok but not really worth a CP - you might kill two more Ork Boyz or something I guess.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Does it mention if it's one and done or potentially endless? In other words, if you keep rolling '6's do you get to keep firing or is it only the first '6'?

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Got our first campaign games in, and everybody seems to be liking 8 so far. We ended up having to switch nights at the last minute, so by the time we did a snake draft to pick our 5 starting territories and place environmental effects we were nearly out of the time people had to play - fortunately a 250 game wraps up real quick. We basically just played last man standing since we were short on time. Admech player beat DA's before his dice deserted him and he got stomped by nurgle marines, between his bad shooting and disgustingly resilient, the nurgle player only lost a single model.

My game was my GSC vs Orks: An acolyte, a 10 man neophyte squad, and a unit of 12 genestealers for me, stock warboss, 10 boys, and 8 burnaz for her. I went first and was able to get the genestealers into her boyz with a command point reroll, then consolidate into the burnaz. I was mainly trying to avoid overwatch because I didn't think about the fact I was charging from outside burna range, in hindsight I think that I probably made the right choice based off of how many attacks the boyz would have put out had it been the other way around. Even as it was, the burnaz managed to kill 4 genestealers when I consolidated in, dropping them under the 10 model threshold. They only managed to kill 1 or 2 more during the next few assault phases, but it was enough to blunt their killing power and tie them up for the warboss to get into combat where he was killing 3-4 per turn, though he did lose 4 wounds to rends.

She was having fun but basically convinced the game was over, but I kept telling her it was very possible she would still win, and it did look very possible once the warboss finished off the genestealers and charged into the neophytes, taking 1 wound from overwatch and then absolutely pulping 4 cultists. Down to the acolyte and 6 cultists, I managed to get the last wound through and finish him off, I'm almost positive that had we gone back to her turn she'd have had me. Looking forward to the rest of the games when we can actually get missions etc set up, and I'll try to get some pictures of the campaign board setup

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
GW is putting out a set of limited blindbox figures in Japan.

For ~$7 each you can now own regular space marine sculpts with some bits glued on cast in blue plastic.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

You cannot accumulate more shots by rolling additional 6s.

Corrode posted:

Might be fun if you're in Rapid Fire range with a full Tac or Intercessor squad or something, but most of the time that's pretty lame. At 20 shots that's an average of 3 extra bolters, which is kind of ok but not really worth a CP - you might kill two more Ork Boyz or something I guess.

Ya, in double-tap range, for each 6 shots, you'll get 2 more shots on average. Not terrible, but CPs are getting so much more valuable that it might not be worth it in most situations.

So a squad of Tactical Terminators with 4 Storm Bolters and a special weapon will volley-off 16 shots, and you'll get an extra ~5 shots on average.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 22, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Charles Get-Out posted:

For ~$7 each you can now own regular space marine sculpts with some bits glued on cast in blue plastic.

See if these were like a dollar each that'd be awesome and cool but those just look like the regular loving marines c'mon GW

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

WhiteWolf123 posted:

You cannot accumulate more shots by rolling additional 6s.

Ya, in double-tap range, for each 6 shots, you'll get 2 more shots on average. Not terrible, but CPs are getting so much more valuable that it might not be worth it in most situations.

So a squad of Tactical Terminators with 4 Storm Bolters and a special weapon will volley-off 16 shots, and you'll get an extra ~5 shots on average.

Full size Intercessor Squads with Auto Bolt Rifles do alright, too. Advance and still fire max ROF in 24" range. Could be pretty speedy for Primaris.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Charles Get-Out posted:

Have a link to this somewhere?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So when it says "all models can switch" does that mean every mode has to do the same or can you choose model by model?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

goose willis posted:

See if these were like a dollar each that'd be awesome and cool but those just look like the regular loving marines c'mon GW

I'm pretty sure 6 or 7 of those are posed just like the front/paint example marines on the 3rd/4th edition squad boxes. I get that that is probably half the point given the "space marine heroes" label, but it's kinda poo poo considering you can probably still build those guys with the current box.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Have a link to this somewhere?

Saw it in a preorder link on HLJ.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 22, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

So when it says "all models can switch" does that mean every mode has to do the same or can you choose model by model?

It's all or nothing. Because if it's some, the language is written that "any" model may exchange. The current interpretation on the Inceptors is that every model in the unit will have to take the assault 3 bolters OR every model will have to take their new plasma guns. Can't mix and match.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Does 40k even have much of a presence outside of the US, Canada, and parts of Europe?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I wouldn't say it's super popular in Japan, but many game shops regularly carry GW stuff.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Which of the three bolt rifles do you guys think is best? I kinda feel like the regular one is still superior, but being able to squeeze off two shots on the advance can make auto bolt rifles quite useful as well. I'm a little torn on Stalkers, since they seem to lack the volume of fire that infantry need with only a slight uptick in range and AP.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

Which of the three bolt rifles do you guys think is best? I kinda feel like the regular one is still superior, but being able to squeeze off two shots on the advance can make auto bolt rifles quite useful as well. I'm a little torn on Stalkers, since they seem to lack the volume of fire that infantry need with only a slight uptick in range and AP.

Given that intercessors are relatively cheap and can come in squads of 10 having 10 36" range ap2 shots might actually be pretty sweet for parking on an objective, regular bolt rifles are just stupidly flexible though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah since I see them being stationary objective guys most often stalkers sound good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

Given that intercessors are relatively cheap and can come in squads of 10 having 10 36" range ap2 shots might actually be pretty sweet for parking on an objective, regular bolt rifles are just stupidly flexible though.

That's basically my thought. If you could deep strike Inceptors I'd love to dump a 10-set on an objective with some far-range AP, but that'd require Primaris to stop being allergic to drop pods. Is that so, or no?

Also, wait, I don't see the troop special rule that you guys mentioned. Wouldn't it be on their data sheet, just like ATSKNF is?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Full size Intercessor Squads with Auto Bolt Rifles do alright, too. Advance and still fire max ROF in 24" range. Could be pretty speedy for Primaris.

I am absolutely in love with the idea of Reivers with grapnel launchers and bolt carbines zooming around the table, potentially leaping from cover to cover.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like there are normal marine lieutenants in the codex, not just biglyLTs. I figured that was going to happen, considering Space Wolves got Wolf Guard Battle Leaders with the same aura, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

I wanted that buff, or really just the option of it, but I didn't want to get stuck with stupid biglys who can't even ride in rhinos. Plus, I've got a bunch of characters I can paint up for just this purpose. Hopefully they can take more than power swords.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

That's basically my thought. If you could deep strike Inceptors I'd love to dump a 10-set on an objective with some far-range AP, but that'd require Primaris to stop being allergic to drop pods. Is that so, or no?

Also, wait, I don't see the troop special rule that you guys mentioned. Wouldn't it be on their data sheet, just like ATSKNF is?

Intercessors. Inceptors can already DS.

Intercessors can too, if you're Raven Guard.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
$420 for some extra material printed in China and pewter doodads, that will never sell! :cawg:

It sold-out. There's no one to blame for these shenanigans except for ourselves.

Holy poo poo, I found my booger monsters, they were in a tiny plastic bin in the back of my closet. I thought I had lost them while moving house.

Skellies I didn't do poo poo to, Dryads I added hats and cyclops eyes to, one is holding the Washboard Of Nurgle.

This prick's rules aren't good anymore, maybe he can be a generic Herald and give an aura.

I guess I'm okay with how gimped Plaguebearers are since they're half the point cost of what they used to be.

30 Plaguebearers, 2 Beasts, 2 Daemon Princes, Ku'gath, a Great Unclean One, and Epidemius used to be a complete army. Poxwalkers are looking good, but I think I'll get 60 Nurglings instead. :backtowork:

What's the best generic stand-in for Nurglings?

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 22, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That Homer of Nurgle is amazing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Intercessors. Inceptors can already DS.

Intercessors can too, if you're Raven Guard.

Intercessors, sorry.

Honestly, between their tactics and their strategem, I feel like Crow McCrowerson's boys came out best overall. For just a few command points, Scout Deployment can get your Reivers in grenade-and-shank range, your Aggressors in no-movement boltstorm range, and stalker bolter Intercessors parking their asses on the objective before your opponent's Deep Strikers can get on it. Keep your leaders, Dreads, and a set of standard bolter boys on the battlefield to meet the minimum deploy requirements, and you could get some amazing turn one tactical positions.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I will still use devastators and assault marines but I'm glad I can use Intercessors instead of tacticals in rhinos and not feel gimped by it. Infiltrating hellblasters will also be great.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

goose willis posted:

I don't have any options for cheap plastic desert warriors then do I?

Puppetswar does desert troopers, haven't seen them in person so no idea how good the sculpts really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Oh, one more question. Can you mix and match chapter tactics and strategems if using a successor chapter, or do you have to pick the same for both?