Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Mattis probably sitting in his study reviewing past military coups and polishing his inaugural speech.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is it sad that I assumed Trump had whoever issued press releases fire off like 5 insane ones in a row without a doubt?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want off MR BONES WILD RIDE

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Is congress just figuring it's too soon to impeach or what

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Smudge the doggo interrupting a council of premiers is the best thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MA-Horus posted:

Smudge the doggo interrupting a council of premiers is the best thing.

We don't deserve dogs, really.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Is congress just figuring it's too soon to impeach or what
"Republicans have no business investigating republicans"

Congress will not investigate someone with an R in front of their name until absolutely forced to do so because they're all compromised in some way.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Countdown to a broadway musical adaptation of the Trump administration where Oompa Loompas come out and sing a song about proper children's behavior every time someone resigns

tankfish
May 31, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

Countdown to a broadway musical adaptation of the Trump administration where Oompa Loompas come out and sing a song about proper children's behavior every time someone resigns

You mean Trumpa Lumpas?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Mattis probably sitting in his study reviewing past military coups and polishing his inaugural speech.

Pictured:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm glad that the President went on a tweetstorm this morning. It was helpful of him to clarify that the ACA repeal failure is the Democrats' fault- why won't they cross the aisle and help tear down the previous Democratic president's signature policy achievement? It boggles the mind!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/888736256145985536

Also, it's helpful to know that Mooch's previous digs on Trump and one time endorsement of Clinton were actually deep cover pro-Trump statements in disguise.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/888733031875346432

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Accusing the democrats of having "no ideas" when republicans comedy-voted to have the ACA repealed like 62 times with absolutely zero plan of what to put in place once they hold the house, the Senate, and the motherfucking presidency is...pretty rich.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The projection is absolutely amazing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really hope that if the democrats manage a hat trick in 2020 (yeah loving right) they enact some crazy hardcore anti-trump legislation to reign in on executive abuse. The fact that we've made it until this point without having an unhinged president is sheer luck and we shouldn't really count on that again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We were gonna get here eventually. And I'm sure we have had plenty of unhinged presidents. But the rise of social media and the ability to insulate yourself with people who think just like you has made the public more unhinged, which is the bigger issue imo.

Donald Trump is just the answer to the equation we have been scribbling on the chalkboard for a few decades (probably since WW2). Social media was just the last variable added to make it all come together.

These days people want to turn every part of society into that same hive mind. Whether it be colleges, coffee houses, or anything.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 22, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Nixon was pretty drat unhinged. Paranoid as gently caress, most of the stuff out there about him makes it sound like he was bipolar or addicted to amphetamines.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nixon was pretty drat unhinged. Paranoid as gently caress, most of the stuff out there about him makes it sound like he was bipolar or addicted to amphetamines.

Yeah, but he was around in an era when politicians actually gave a half a poo poo about putting their country above partisan dumbness. The founders apparently never thought of what would happen if half of congress had no integrity.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also I think party over country is a natural point that capitalism mixed with being a representative democracy would always reach but that's probably something for someone smarter to decide.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

Also I think party over country is a natural point that capitalism mixed with being a representative democracy would always reach but that's probably something for someone smarter to decide.

It took Ascension to the very top spot to become a priority, which I doubt the framers wanted to bother to plan for in the founding documents. Once the USSR fell we started looking inwards for enemies. Now the well is so loving poisoned that teaming up with our previous enemies is being rationalized as good and necessary to SAVE THE REPUBLIC (billions on life insurance)

I mean the civil war was pretty wild, and was similarly the product of unhinged paranoia and the placement of personal interests over the security of the nation, so I guess it really only took 90 years or so. We should probably do a bit more to amend the power structures in this nation to box out idiots

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 22, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

It was also a power play move, he wanted outside countries to believe he was unhinged and ready to press the button at a moments notice.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

We should probably do a bit more to amend the power structures in this nation to box out idiots

Unfortunately the problem is there's a not small portion of the electorate who are idiots, who instead of voting for bread and circus' voted for... I dunno... poverty and death? I mean what can you do, say anyone who voted Trump in last time no longer has a franchise?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

All circus no bread.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We need a higher voter turnout, not a lower voter turnout.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

Yeah, but he was around in an era when politicians actually gave a half a poo poo about putting their country above partisan dumbness. The founders apparently never thought of what would happen if half of congress had no integrity.

They knew.

George Washington:

quote:

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind, (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight,) the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration. It agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

There is an opinion, that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the Government, and serve to keep alive the spirit of Liberty. This within certain limits is probably true; and in Governments of a Monarchical cast, Patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party. But in those of the popular character, in Governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose. And, there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be, by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.

John Adams:

quote:

There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.

Some (Jefferson) were also partisan as gently caress, even then.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

KildarX posted:

Unfortunately the problem is there's a not small portion of the electorate who are idiots, who instead of voting for bread and circus' voted for... I dunno... poverty and death? I mean what can you do, say anyone who voted Trump in last time no longer has a franchise?
What exactly was the appealing alternative they were being offered? If we're talking about lower class rubes and not wealthy suburbanites or money men who thought Trump would keep his promises to them, most Democrats are somewhere between wholly uncaring about their problems and actively hoping for their deaths.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Casimir Radon posted:

All circus no bread.

Borrowing this one.

Dead Reckoning posted:

What exactly was the appealing alternative they were being offered? If we're talking about lower class rubes and not wealthy suburbanites or money men who thought Trump would keep his promises to them, most Democrats are somewhere between wholly uncaring about their problems and actively hoping for their deaths.

How does this jive with "extended health care to 22 million low-income citizens"? You think they did that by accident?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 22, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Their problems are mostly economic but they think their actual problems are THE GAYS, THE BLACKS, THE MEXICANS... Those are non-negotiable issues so you can't make any progress with them.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

It was also a power play move, he wanted outside countries to believe he was unhinged and ready to press the button at a moments notice.

Him wandering around the Lincoln memorial and rambling at protestors probably wasn't a part of that:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/248443/

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ah yes, if we absolve the rubes who were one of the primary beneficiaries of the healthcare program they voted to destroy, who else can we blame?

How.about every (R) party voter that knew better but voted for a senile conman out of strict party politics or a supreme.court seat? As much as I recognize that trampling minority and LGBT rights is a priority, it seems difficult to believe that anyone with half a brain couldnt predict this as the trajectory of the Trump administration. Less than 200 days in and it's about as pathetic as any prediction that didn't involve immediate icbm exchanges.

Free community college? A major infastructure rehaul and jobs program? Student debt forgiveness? Some attention to the opioid crisis? I realize we are talking about idiots, but to act like there was nothing being offered is disengenuous. Throw in the half the eligible voting population, who can't possibly be as stupid as the 30% polled that still approve of the President's performance, and there is alot of blame to go around

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh I'm sure fixing the Opioid Crisis is one of Jared's projects. I'm sure he's working on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh I'm sure fixing the Opioid Crisis is one of Jared's projects. I'm sure he's working on it.

Probably by consuming all the opioids himself.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

Probably by consuming all the opioids himself.

I figure him more for the nose candy, tbh.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

One more thing about the latest Trump tweets:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/888730468732067841

This really does make it sound like he thinks that the way you delete emails is to print them out and then submerge them in acid.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

New Zealand's South Island is having a bad time. Evacuations in progress, with the military mobilizing to deal with flooding in Christchurch and elsewhere.

http://news.sky.com/story/new-zealand-cities-declare-state-of-emergency-after-storm-10957258

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Congress passed sanctions against Russia for election meddling and other poo poo.

So we're at the point where the GOP-led Congress admits Russia hosed with the election.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/22/us/politics/congress-sanctions-russia.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Trump has two options: veto like a bitch or sign and deal with Putin's reaction, whatever that might be.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Jesus that bit from George Washington is like reading a prophecy that you're living through seeing come true.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

RFC2324 posted:

I figure him more for the nose candy, tbh.

I've known folks to snort oxy, so column A column B? :v:

It's super hosed up and the count of people I've known that have died from prescription opiate abuse is in the double digit range now :smith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The more I read about the Congressional sanctions package, it sounds a like like the effect is to see if/why Trump vetoes it moreso than the actual sanctions. They're giving him an easy way to score some anti-Russia points. The sanctions also contain some Iran and NK measures too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

suboptimal posted:

One more thing about the latest Trump tweets:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/888730468732067841

This really does make it sound like he thinks that the way you delete emails is to print them out and then submerge them in acid.

Jesus loving Christ it’s like reading an email from an elderly parent. Name of software = BleachBit somehow turns into “ACID WASHED EMAILS YOU KNOW LIKE YOU DO TO JEANS????”

• Locked thread