Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
who's the one who bought a $2.5k gaming rig while his kid was going to school by herself because his home was a pigsty of a tiny little mobile home? was it cornholio? zaurg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Really? Phone contracts are usually two years at zero interest. I’m not sure if you can over leverage or securitize that in a bad way. The principal is being paid down at too fast a rate to stay risky.

Also cell phones are one of the few products that even poor people can get without the usual poor person tax. A $200 Motorola isn’t as good as a $1000 iPhone, but it’s not $800 worse either. This keeps their financial exposure less than say...student loans, lovely car loans, or subprime mortgages.

But I guess we can’t underestimate a bank’s ability to take a relatively safe bet and make it risky.
Bingo. My prediction comes off the idea not that there's anything inherently risky about the business, but that as far as risk is ever a concern, people will find new and interesting ways to gently caress it all up. We are, and continue to be, a species of catastrophic errors of judgment.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

curufinor posted:

who's the one who bought a $2.5k gaming rig while his kid was going to school by herself because his home was a pigsty of a tiny little mobile home? was it cornholio? zaurg?

That was some E/N person iirc, I remember when that first happened because I had some weird unexplained urge to go into E/N and browse around a bit when I normally steer clear and found that thread in progress and wow.

I also remember that the guy came back like a year or two later and posted about how he had turned his life around and took classes on not being a fuckup and CPS let him have his kid back :unsmith:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That was the guy whose floor was ‘soft’ and whose kids got themselves ready and went to school all by themselves...but it was a Saturday I think, which is what tipped CPS off.

I can’t recall why their floor was soft. Covered in trash or just rotting through. Maybe cat piss? It was a Goon so any answer including all of the above can be accepted.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Some guy with a clan tag in front of his name. It started with a W. He came back and seemed like he'd gotten things together. He had his kid back, bought a new trailer that they were fixing up while living in it. He posted some photos of the place. It was normal person lived in, rather than hoarder.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I once heard about a poor person that had a television and a refrigerator!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Many poors do not skimp on electronics.

Look at this guy's gaming rig.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/l...those-who-dont/

E: Good article too.

That's not some super-fancy setup, though. People's expectations are still set at 40"+ flatscreen TVs costing $2500+ like they did fifteen years ago, iPhones being a huge status symbol rather than something that a lot of people have at the back of their junk drawer, and so on.

An Xbox One is $250-300, and a TV that size is maybe $400, both brand new. They live in what's pretty obviously a decaying house. An extra $650-700 wouldn't lift them out of poverty. Buying that stuff is BWM if you want to pick apart their financial lives, but they're not driving themselves into poverty by chasing after status symbols. The issues are way bigger than that.

(also, the article really tries to gloss over the guy who owns two Jaguars, and spent his super-valuable time to mock a disabled panhandler for not working)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Nothing is more bad with money than owning jaguars because they never run.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

That was the guy whose floor was ‘soft’ and whose kids got themselves ready and went to school all by themselves...but it was a Saturday I think, which is what tipped CPS off.

I can’t recall why their floor was soft. Covered in trash or just rotting through. Maybe cat piss? It was a Goon so any answer including all of the above can be accepted.

Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453028&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

And the redemption:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499987

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Long shot, but does anyone know of a place to see the before pictures? The Imgur album has been replaced by two photos of an Asian woman with a fake bar-looking moustache.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Motronic posted:

How Subprime Car Loans Are Ruining Lives And Repeating The Mistakes Of The Housing Crisis

http://jalopnik.com/how-subprime-car-loans-are-ruining-lives-and-repeating-1796893288

I don't think this will cause any widespread issues. Interest rates in the 20% range are high enough to turn a profit after a few months. This is unlike with the housing crisis, where interest rates were not nearly high enough to compensate for the loans risk.

It might soften the market for new cars, which are on track for a third consecutive record-breaking sales year. But most manufactures have massive cash reserves and could probably weather a recession with ease.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

C.H.O.M.E posted:

As my father discovered.

His one has been in the shop for the past few months.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Maybe this season.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

That was actually my first thought too.

I have been listening to a car fix-it podcast lately and the guy cracked a joke about why the English drink warm beer it's because Lucas makes their refrigerators too. :v:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe this season.

:drat:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Space Gopher posted:

(also, the article really tries to gloss over the guy who owns two Jaguars, and spent his super-valuable time to mock a disabled panhandler for not working)

I thought that the article did a pretty good job of showing that that guy's main problem is being a drug addict, and not actually being disabled. He even told the Jaguar owner that he panhandled because it was more profitable than actually working.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

On a similar note, never ever buy a Volkswagen CC.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Space Gopher posted:

The guy begging isn't on disability, he just got fired from his McDonalds job for skipping work. The mom is on disability for "anxiety".

And it's super easy to get on disability on appeal. You go in front of a judge and you hire a lawyer who argues in favor of you getting disability. But the state doesn't have an advocate who argues you shouldn't be, so the judge only hears one side. The only missing piece is getting a doctor to say you have some sort of disability, and I bet that's about as hard to find as a doctor who says you need medical marijuana.

e: actually this family is a goldcoal mine of bwm

quote:

He was studying the paint stains on his jeans and boots. They were left over from some community service he had done a few days before as punishment for stealing two items worth less than $200 at a Walmart, one of which was some ear buds, and returning one for money.

quote:

She knew what they must say about her disability: It’s only anxiety, only depression. Why couldn’t she work? Why did she buy soda and cigarettes when they needed food? How could she afford the Internet and cable TV bills on a $500 monthly disability check?

skipping community service to beg, that's gonna end well:

quote:

“I was supposed to go work off my fines today,” he said.

“You know I’d rather have you do that than do what you’re doing now,” she said.

“If I was making money doing it, I wouldn’t care,” he said. “But you go work for nothing.”

quote:

Why couldn’t he get a job? Was he to blame? Maybe people were right when they told him tattoos would turn off employers. He also could have walked through the snow that day McDonald’s had fired him — it was less than a mile from his house — but he hadn’t done that, either.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 22, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

And it's super easy to get on disability on appeal. You go in front of a judge and you hire a lawyer who argues in favor of you getting disability. But the state doesn't have an advocate who argues you shouldn't be, so the judge only hears one side. The only missing piece is getting a doctor to say you have some sort of disability, and I bet that's about as hard to find as a doctor who says you need medical marijuana.

I have a friend who is a disability lawyer. He said over 65% of people being represented used to get on disability. In the last year or so it's more like 35%.

I don't know if that's nationwide or the reasons behind it, but it's most definitely a thing that's changing their practice.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The guy begging isn't on disability, he just got fired from his McDonalds job for skipping work. The mom is on disability for "anxiety".

the article posted:

The morning of the first confrontation, in November, Hess, a man with a crew cut and hands scarred from years of work, slept until noon. His moving company had done a big job the day before, and when he awoke, he noticed he was nearly out of dog food, so he left his house, a brick ranch atop a steep hill. After collecting the dog food from a grocery store, he saw Tyler’s father, Dale McGlothlin, a former coal miner living on disability, holding a sign along the side of the road. “Need donations to help to feed my family,” it said.

Hess pulled over. He offered him food, then told him he could do him one better: Would he like a job? McGlothlin, whose arms had been damaged in the coal mines and who hadn’t worked in more than a decade, declined the offer, and Hess drove off, outraged.
[...]
[Hess] drove home. He emerged a while later with his own sign and returned to the intersection. There, Hess stood beside McGlothlin, who he said had told him he could make more money panhandling than working, and raised the sheet of cardboard.

“I offered him a job,” the sign said. “And he refused.”

He posted a picture of it on Facebook. “Many of you know I am very pro work,” he wrote, recounting what he had done. “I made up my own sign and joined him. PLEASE SHARE.”

The bottom line is this: yes, most people in poverty have made some bad decisions in their life. But, most people in nicer circumstances have made equally bad or worse decisions; they've just been insulated from them because they have a cushion. Upper middle class 19 year old kid smokes weed and does nothing for a semester in college, and the school therapist writes them up a hardship withdrawal for the quarter because they're just a kid who deserves a second chance. Mom and dad chew them out and pay. Most of the time, life goes on and the kid becomes a district sales manager somewhere. Poor 19 year old kid skips out on a couple of welding classes to smoke weed and hang out, and they're a deadbeat who deserves nothing. If they end up a panhandler, it's because of their own terrible life decisions, says the district sales manager.

If you see somebody walking a tightrope over a long drop with no net, is your first reaction, "oh, that's nothing, I walk around all the time and hardly ever trip?"

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Watched guy with a sign that said "disabled vietnam vet" count out at least $250 in cash at the red light yesterday, mostly $10s and $20s. I think if I was a panhandler I'd have waaaay too much shame to ever do that, or at least be too scared of getting mugged but he seemed very unconcerned.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pryor on Fire posted:

Watched guy with a sign that said "disabled vietnam vet" count out at least $250 in cash at the red light yesterday, mostly $10s and $20s. I think if I was a panhandler I'd have waaaay too much shame to ever do that, or at least be too scared of getting mugged but he seemed very unconcerned.
I feel like most people would hesitate more before robbing a disabled Vietnam vet than most classes of homeless. Might work out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you’re going to be disabled at least be missing a limb. I can’t throw money at an one legged panhandler fast enough.

Get a three legged dog and you can basically print money.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

You know, if that's all the money the guy has in the world and he's homeless, it's not that much money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You know, if that's all the money the guy has in the world and he's homeless, it's not that much money.

True, but he's rich in life experience. And maybe body lice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You know what, that guy has $250 more than Donald Trump. Makes you think.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Two stories:

A friend who is studying abroad signed a lease for a fancy condo expecting to pay it off with a summer job here. If he worked year-round full-time at his current job, his take-home salary would equal the cost of his lease. If he gets the kind of job he's looking at after graduation, the lease would STILL be 55% of his take-home salary. He went pale when I brought it up -- I think he messed up the currency conversion.

Also, a few years ago, I worked at a game store and failed to talk a customer out of "investing" $1000+ on Kaijudo cards for her child's college savings. She didn't listen.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Saeku posted:

Two stories:

A friend who is studying abroad signed a lease for a fancy condo expecting to pay it off with a summer job here. If he worked year-round full-time at his current job, his take-home salary would equal the cost of his lease. If he gets the kind of job he's looking at after graduation, the lease would STILL be 55% of his take-home salary. He went pale when I brought it up -- I think he messed up the currency conversion.

I'm the fancy condo company that didn't do any sort of background check on the guy to discover he doesn't have a job that can pay for it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OctaviusBeaver posted:

God youre fuckin atrocious

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There are people who need to be on disability and then there are people who don't show up for work because they can't be bothered to walk ten minutes in the snow. This article doesn't paint this particular kid in a very positive light. Maybe there's more there, but I really can't see a reason this guy can't work.

The dad with arms that don't work is another matter, and the mom sounds like she has a bunch of addiction issues. Those are real problems. The 19 year old kid, suck it up and get a McJob.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The former. I know way too much about this so you're getting an effortpost!

It's a bunch of factors:
Legitimate supply and demand at work on the stuff from 1993 (there were only ever 1,100 copies of each rare from the first print run, and something like 50,000 total across every printing of them.)
Also supply crunches on a fair number of other older cards that people didn't realize were good at the time (thinking like Lion's Eye Diamond - that thing was trash for the first ten years it existed to the point that people actively complained to the makers of the game... and turns out it's actually insane.) so many copies weren't preserved, whether damaged or lost.
A couple really big increases in player population (Tournament player population doubled 2008-2013 but we don't have public numbers beyond that.)

That said, a fair chunk of more recent stuff has doubled in price even since 2010, which is as far back as the best price-graph website I know goes. Spiked higher on and off, but I'm talking "right now, being sold for twice as much as it was seven years ago", so even taking a haircut to sell to a dealer you'd end up making 10% a year or something. Graphs that all look like this:

You just have to be psychic and buy only those cards :v:

(Sure, they're all cards I wouldn't have laughed at you for buying in 2010, but there are also a lot of others that just went nowhere and if you only bought the ones that seemed good in 2010 you would have missed a lot as well. Don't invest in Magic: the Gathering cards as an investment vehicle.)

So the cherry picked best psychically-selected MTG cards are still significantly underperforming the S&P 500, which including dividends has returned 158% in the past 7 years and 744% since the release of MTG in 1993

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Both of you have valid points.

bird.jpg

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

There are various expose pieces written about lucrative panhandling. In the right places with enough traffic you can exchange your pride and dignity for a better income than many actual jobs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

So the cherry picked best psychically-selected MTG cards are still significantly underperforming the S&P 500, which including dividends has returned 158% in the past 7 years and 744% since the release of MTG in 1993

Yeah it's weird that it performs less well than actual investments, my mind is blown

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No, he's not.

The BWM in all of this is having a welfare system that disincentivizes working, and in not strictly regulating the shady "pain clinics" that serve as legal drug dealers for these out-of-work addicts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Is there a preferred way to gain derail equity in this thread?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LLCoolJD posted:

No, he's not.

The BWM in all of this is having a welfare system that disincentivizes working, and in not strictly regulating the shady "pain clinics" that serve as legal drug dealers for these out-of-work addicts.

Yeah I agree it would suck if that was how our welfare system worked

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

a welfare system that disincentivizes working

Hey look it's the ghost of Reagan in lovely wrong forums poster form

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate all the Oreos posted:

Hey look it's the ghost of Reagan in lovely wrong forums poster form

90% of poor people have refrigerators

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Legacy magic cards hold value surprisingly well, seeing if the price on dual lands will continue to go up is not a bad idea given he almost assuredly did not pay multiple hundreds of dollars for them when he got them

Don't invest in magic or comics though

Unless he's getting some use or non-monetary enjoyment from the cards, his friend is almost certainly better off selling the cards now, buying productive assets, and then selling those off as he needs the money.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah I agree it would suck if that was how our welfare system worked

TANF welfare and SNAP, not so much (though the asset caps that some states put in place aren't helpful). But SSI, which is de facto 'welfare' in large parts of the country, is structured in a way that makes it difficult for people to get back into the (legitimate, above-board) workplace.

But then SSI was never meant to be a minimum income for people capable of work, repeated cuts to TANF have forced people there.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 22, 2017

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

C.H.O.M.E posted:

There are people who need to be on disability and then there are people who don't show up for work because they can't be bothered to walk ten minutes in the snow. This article doesn't paint this particular kid in a very positive light. Maybe there's more there, but I really can't see a reason this guy can't work.

The dad with arms that don't work is another matter, and the mom sounds like she has a bunch of addiction issues. Those are real problems. The 19 year old kid, suck it up and get a McJob.

The article never says the kid is on disability, though. And there aren't a lot of McJobs in the Virginia sticks.

Yes, the article paints the picture of a fuckup kid in a hard situation who's made some bad choices. What it doesn't point out is the same :bahgawd: mah tax dollars! :bahgawd: approach prevents any kind of real solution. Give that kid $20,000 worth of job training and social work, and an environment willing to let him try again a few times when he's a 19 year old kid and fucks up. There's a pretty good chance he'd turn out OK, and contribute way more than $20,000 back in tax revenue over his lifetime. Average it over ten thousand hosed up nineteen year old kids, and you'll get a very good return on investment.

But he's not going to get that, because he doesn't have a job right now, so he's always and forever a dirty non-worker who shouldn't expect anything from anybody. So he'll just keep surviving off his mom's and wife's disability payments, panhandling when the fridge is empty, and giving idiots a reason to fight for the status quo that keeps him there.

LLCoolJD posted:

No, he's not.

By gosh, you're right.

I think I'll quit my white-collar job (which has been kinda lovely lately) and adopt a budget that is literally "the minimum required to exist in the area, as determined by the federal government." Fun fact: you're not allowed to save on SSI disability. If you manage to put away more than $2,000, the government will literally cut you off of support until your bank account balances and other liquid assets drop below that amount.

Also, the feds and state governments have shut down a lot of pain management clinics, starting a few years ago. Turns out addicts stay addicted even when you cut them off cold turkey. Now there's a massive fentanyl problem. Got a commonsense solution to that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Space Gopher posted:

The article never says the kid is on disability, though. And there aren't a lot of McJobs in the Virginia sticks.

Yes, the article paints the picture of a fuckup kid in a hard situation who's made some bad choices. What it doesn't point out is the same :bahgawd: mah tax dollars! :bahgawd: approach prevents any kind of real solution. Give that kid $20,000 worth of job training and social work, and an environment willing to let him try again a few times when he's a 19 year old kid and fucks up. There's a pretty good chance he'd turn out OK, and contribute way more than $20,000 back in tax revenue over his lifetime. Average it over ten thousand hosed up nineteen year old kids, and you'll get a very good return on investment.

But he's not going to get that, because he doesn't have a job right now, so he's always and forever a dirty non-worker who shouldn't expect anything from anybody. So he'll just keep surviving off his mom's and wife's disability payments, panhandling when the fridge is empty, and giving idiots a reason to fight for the status quo that keeps him there.

By gosh, you're right.

I think I'll quit my white-collar job (which has been kinda lovely lately) and adopt a budget that is literally "the minimum required to exist in the area, as determined by the federal government." Fun fact: you're not allowed to save on SSI disability. If you manage to put away more than $2,000, the government will literally cut you off of support until your bank account balances and other liquid assets drop below that amount.

Also, the feds and state governments have shut down a lot of pain management clinics, starting a few years ago. Turns out addicts stay addicted even when you cut them off cold turkey. Now there's a massive fentanyl problem. Got a commonsense solution to that one?

My dude