Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

ALFbrot posted:

Yeah, $80k/year in other regions is trash for idiots

It's not that $180k in Santa Monica is a bad salary, or that $80k is bad, but for a region where housing costs are exorbitant and cost of living is high, it's not comparable to 180k in some small town in western MA or the desert 50 miles west of Phoenix. That salary isn't going to get you much more than a 1 bedroom apartment if you're looking to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Big K of Justice posted:

Dreamworks China failed spectacularly. As did DWA India [the big secret was they had to send a lot of the work back to the mothership]. A few china only projects are now fully transferred back to DWA.

Captain Underpants showed that Canada is a better deal [highest subsidies in the world], but there's still a severe shortage of enough qualified backend people [comp/light/fx] to fill seats. DWA hand to send up whole lighting teams from Glendale to Montreal to help finish that show. So it'll remain to be seen how things will pan out.

My girlfriend just got a job doing character effects at a studio in Montreal. It seems they're really hurting for technical people there. I'm just an animator though I can't move there with her, we're not as in-demand.

Anyone know any Montreal studios looking for animators?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ccs posted:

My girlfriend just got a job doing character effects at a studio in Montreal. It seems they're really hurting for technical people there. I'm just an animator though I can't move there with her, we're not as in-demand.

Anyone know any Montreal studios looking for animators?

Try Digital Dimension, they're not that great but a good foot in the door and can manage with visas I believe.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cool, I don't need a visa or anything, I'm a PR in Canada. I just need a place to work so I can be in the same city. Thanks!

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Is there a way to avoid the re-topology process and go straight from sculpting in zbrush to the painting process in another program? I have no intention of animating or rigging my models I just want pieces to display. Im not a fan of zbrushes painting tools and would like to use 3D coat or maybe a trial version of marmoset. Any advice?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Generate the UVs in the program of your choice then start painting. Optional: run decimation on it first.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stuff4and5 posted:

Is there a way to avoid the re-topology process and go straight from sculpting in zbrush to the painting process in another program? I have no intention of animating or rigging my models I just want pieces to display. Im not a fan of zbrushes painting tools and would like to use 3D coat or maybe a trial version of marmoset. Any advice?

Just bring your trillion polygon mesh into Mari and learn Mari.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/photogrammetry-unitys-de-lighting-tool-cyril-jover

A de-lighting tool for photogrammetry. Some people here might find it useful even if it is primarily aimed at game assets

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm on vacation right now but already asked one of my team to go out and do a lovely photoscan in bright sun/harsh shadows and see if it can take a fully detailed mesh. I'm excited to see if it can handle it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it would be nice if the tool was standalone rather than being in unity tho

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

wow that's pretty neat. I agree that they need to make this tool more widely available...

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I am new at 3DCG art so I know I suck something vicious at it, but after one week I got a few renders done on simple models:

I am still learning about it; and I started reading the wikibook "Blender 3D: Noob to Pro/Normals and Shading" and I am thinking of getting a subscription to CGCookie to help get better. Is there any other suggestions.

(btw op; one of the discord admins for the general goon server wanted me to let you guys know (probably because they can bully me easily into this) that there is a goon art discord, if you wanted to add it; https://discord.gg/m65CSn5 )

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Not at all bad for a first stab. My main recommendation would be way more light. Put a couple lights around for some ambient fill then 1 or 2 for some highlights, helps make everything pop out a little more. Also try out some normal maps and some glossier materials, especially on the donuts.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Taffer posted:

Not at all bad for a first stab. My main recommendation would be way more light. Put a couple lights around for some ambient fill then 1 or 2 for some highlights, helps make everything pop out a little more. Also try out some normal maps and some glossier materials, especially on the donuts.

I thought I put a normal map on the second donut with the real sprinkles on it, I was following BlenderGurus beginner tutorial and I was sure I did that. Ah well.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
When it comes to sketchfab would it be smart to just put my multimesh character model on to one 4k texture? Right now I am making 2k/1k textures for each mesh and I have a feeling if I want to show this off online thats gonna be a slow loading time?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I thought I put a normal map on the second donut with the real sprinkles on it, I was following BlenderGurus beginner tutorial and I was sure I did that. Ah well.

Maybe you did! But if it's not visible it doesn't matter ;)

Don't be afraid to crank stuff. Light, bumps, gloss, color, the whole shebang. It's better to overdo than underdo.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

How is this? I only used reference material for this, and its an original model I did.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

How is this? I only used reference material for this, and its an original model I did.

It's really basic.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

You have primary and secondary forms but no tertiary details. Looks like you box modeled this and haven't gotten around to adding any detail. Keep in mind you can fake a lot of detail through bump / normal maps.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Here's a thing I did recently, mostly for texture practice, though I also got to wrestle a little with my eternal nemesis graphics design in making the logo and that picture.

Textures are what I've got a question about. That's my second stab at a texture that's gone far enough to actually get finished and I'm still doing stuff in a very basic way. I've just about got a handle on what to do with the various maps in a PBR environment (I use Blender/Cycles). At this point I'm just painting my texture maps manually and not using any fancy tools except NDO for normals. That's been good and comfortable for figuring out the basics, but I'm at the point where it's starting to get annoying to go manually color stuff appropriately on three different maps when I want to add a little metal detail or whatever - especially since I know there are better ways.

I've been looking at DDO (which I'm biased towards over Substance because I'm already using NDO and it doesn't cost a billion dollars) but from where I stand it looks like a sea of massively complex features. Substance looks even more imposing. Are either of those something you can gradually delve into? Right now I'm really just liking the idea of material ID maps and I don't really want to start messing with super fancy procedural materials and stuff. Can I use DDO and keep drawing my own stuff while being able to assign basic material properties (diffuse, roughness, metallicity/spec) in a nice way without having to get into all the rest all at once, or is there a better tool for this sort of thing? Am I even thinking right for what my next step should be?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How is this is only useful if you have a point of reference. Like it's probably fine, not very stylized and would plop into a low poly game okay but absolutely wont cut it on a AAA game.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elukka posted:

Here's a thing I did recently, mostly for texture practice, though I also got to wrestle a little with my eternal nemesis graphics design in making the logo and that picture.

Textures are what I've got a question about. That's my second stab at a texture that's gone far enough to actually get finished and I'm still doing stuff in a very basic way. I've just about got a handle on what to do with the various maps in a PBR environment (I use Blender/Cycles). At this point I'm just painting my texture maps manually and not using any fancy tools except NDO for normals. That's been good and comfortable for figuring out the basics, but I'm at the point where it's starting to get annoying to go manually color stuff appropriately on three different maps when I want to add a little metal detail or whatever - especially since I know there are better ways.

I've been looking at DDO (which I'm biased towards over Substance because I'm already using NDO and it doesn't cost a billion dollars) but from where I stand it looks like a sea of massively complex features. Substance looks even more imposing. Are either of those something you can gradually delve into? Right now I'm really just liking the idea of material ID maps and I don't really want to start messing with super fancy procedural materials and stuff. Can I use DDO and keep drawing my own stuff while being able to assign basic material properties (diffuse, roughness, metallicity/spec) in a nice way without having to get into all the rest all at once, or is there a better tool for this sort of thing? Am I even thinking right for what my next step should be?

this would be right at home in homeworld or an appropriately 70's sci fi book cover <3

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Elukka posted:

To answer your question quickly, both can do what you're talking about.

If NDO/Quixel stuff looks easier to grok for you for now, use that. Don't worry too much about tools beyond finding an overall workflow to get you from start to finish. You may end up liking Substance Painter a ton more, but learning Quixel or NDO isn't going to hurt you. Alternatively, just learning Painter isn't going to tell you anything about if you like NDO either. Get comfortable with learning new programs and features at least once a year because that's about how often poo poo changes in some form.

Also: More graphic design in cg work! Wooo!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Synthbuttrange posted:

How is this is only useful if you have a point of reference. Like it's probably fine, not very stylized and would plop into a low poly game okay but absolutely wont cut it on a AAA game.
I'm less concerned with how that one is (though I'll take any crits) but it's a reference point for where I am now and what I'm trying to figure out is where to go next. I'm just doing this as a hobby and I don't have any specific professional ambitions, but getting to a point where I could make that sort of thing except fit for a modern game feels like a reasonable goal.

Kanine posted:

this would be right at home in homeworld or an appropriately 70's sci fi book cover <3
I've spent so much time staring real hard at Homeworld textures trying to figure out why they're so good despite being from 1999. But making good detail is fundamentally a design issue and not a tech issue so it doesn't really age. I was going for a bit of a Homeworld/Peter Elson/Chris Foss vibe so that's nice to hear.

e: Posted while I was posting:

mutata posted:

To answer your question quickly, both can do what you're talking about.

If NDO/Quixel stuff looks easier to grok for you for now, use that. Don't worry too much about tools beyond finding an overall workflow to get you from start to finish. You may end up liking Substance Painter a ton more, but learning Quixel or NDO isn't going to hurt you. Alternatively, just learning Painter isn't going to tell you anything about if you like NDO either. Get comfortable with learning new programs and features at least once a year because that's about how often poo poo changes in some form.

Also: More graphic design in cg work! Wooo!
That's useful, thanks. Probably gonna read up DDO docs, whip up another simple model and give the trial a try.

e2:
vvv
Oh... Well, the spaceship is still a pretty low poly model and the materials aren't that fancy. :v:

Elukka fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 27, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry, I should have quoted which post I was replying to! that was meant for the sword :v:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really hate how many studios hold grudges in this industry. As I mentioned before my gf got a great job as a CFX artist at another studio. She put in her two weeks notice last friday. Her current studio has spent every day since calling up her new employer telling them not to hire her.

The current employer is panicked because they don't have any other CFX artists and if they lose this one they might lose an upcoming project that has cloth shots. But it's just awful how they would so blatantly try to screw over a person's career. Hopefully the new studio doesn't listen. She signed the contract yesterday so we're just praying the constant badgering doesn't cause them to reneg.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

I really hate how many studios hold grudges in this industry. As I mentioned before my gf got a great job as a CFX artist at another studio. She put in her two weeks notice last friday. Her current studio has spent every day since calling up her new employer telling them not to hire her.

The current employer is panicked because they don't have any other CFX artists and if they lose this one they might lose an upcoming project that has cloth shots. But it's just awful how they would so blatantly try to screw over a person's career. Hopefully the new studio doesn't listen. She signed the contract yesterday so we're just praying the constant badgering doesn't cause them to reneg.

If that kind of vindictive behaviour is common then most studios would be aware of it and ignore it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I also think that kind of proactive poo poo talking is not at all legal.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

I also think that kind of proactive poo poo talking is not at all legal.

You can be sued over it I think.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Lol, which studio is that?.

The only thing close to that, was when I was trying to be nice as they asked me to stay longer as they *really* needed me (So they said). I ended up letting the 2 studios work out the details and ended up staying a month longer and had *zero* work and it was clearly just to keep me from going to the other place.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Here is a model I recently finished, still very amateur at all of this so all critiques are welcome and appreciated.

https://skfb.ly/6sFHA

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Stuff4and5 posted:

Here is a model I recently finished, still very amateur at all of this so all critiques are welcome and appreciated.

https://skfb.ly/6sFHA

Looks pretty good, the AO you've baked on the model is a bit too strong, the Jigglypuff is little too dark in spots for example.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Listerine posted:

You can be sued over it I think.

I think he was joking (at least my initial reaction was "that's not legal.")

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Just a reminder, as I almost forgot myself. I made a discord for people who want to use that sort of thing a while back, here's a link that shouldn't expire for people interested https://discord.gg/2SVxW4N

Did this post-work marvelous sketch today whilst I waited on a print. Daz is pretty nice to quickly pull in an animation to get something better than a T-pose on your clothing patterns.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ccs posted:

A lot of this doesn't make any sense. Does the first studio think she would still work for them if they talked the second studio out of hiring her? Additionally, that kind of action by the first studio is most likely illegal in whatever country this is happening in. Lastly, if she signed a contract with the second company, and she gave notice to the first, she's under no obligation to continue working at the first studio. A two weeks notice is merely a courtesy, and you have every right to walk out the door as soon as you give your notice (in the US). Most people don't as a matter of professional courtesy and to leave on good terms, but if the first studio is acting this way, then I hope she's stopped going in to that office.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://68.media.tumblr.com/b14307a0d464fe8ae9eef4687e9143b2/tumblr_otpp0g3YQC1u2reeao1_1280.jpg

http://68.media.tumblr.com/4cbf7858e5e5077bb4e2c0fbe586dbbf/tumblr_orq2s8ECmY1u2reeao2_r1_1280.png

I post this kind of poo poo on tumblr and sometimes get like 4 or 5 likes. sweet as hell

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gearman posted:

A lot of this doesn't make any sense. Does the first studio think she would still work for them if they talked the second studio out of hiring her? Additionally, that kind of action by the first studio is most likely illegal in whatever country this is happening in. Lastly, if she signed a contract with the second company, and she gave notice to the first, she's under no obligation to continue working at the first studio. A two weeks notice is merely a courtesy, and you have every right to walk out the door as soon as you give your notice (in the US). Most people don't as a matter of professional courtesy and to leave on good terms, but if the first studio is acting this way, then I hope she's stopped going in to that office.

They're incredibly dumb and are calling the second studio from behind a very thin door, but I guess they figure she can't hear them doing it. The producers at this studio are super unprofessional, having really loud conversations with clients on speakerphone all the time and assuming that just because the door is closed the rest of the office can't hear. It's incredibly bizarre.

It is illegal but most of the studios in Canada are colluding these days anyway. If the VFX/animation industry in Canada lasts long enough I expect to see an anti-trust case happen eventually, similar to what happened with the US studios.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Contract work finally went public!

Go to my Artstation and 'like' them so I can get on the wall for once ;) https://www.artstation.com/artist/mutatedjellyfish

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I've recently picked up Blender and after finishing Blender Guru's beginner tutorial I'm looking to get some practice in, and I have a quick question:

When you're modeling a solid object made of several distinct parts, is it preferable to model the parts as separate objects and assemble them or sculpt them all out of the same mesh? I was looking specifically at modeling this bowie knife and wondering whether it would be better/easier to sculpt it as one lump and texture it selectively or to make the blade, handle and crossguard as separate pieces. I presume it's situational, but if so what approach suits which situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's probably better to keep it as one object if you're sculpting. But if I'm doing hard edge modeling I'll make separate objects out of nearly every shape and just merge/separate them when needed. It's really just preference and situation when you get right down to it though, both approaches are correct in different circumstances.