Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bad Seafood posted:

I was browsing through what else Falcom has on Steam and stumbled upon something called Xanadu Next. Any opinions on it?
The UI is hilariously awkward, but as a dungeon crawler I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked how the leveling system was such that you could allot points to any category, but you also had a bit of guidance of where it made the most sense to put them because you needed certain levels for equipment.

punk rebel ecks posted:

How does Trails the 3rd compare to FC and SC?
It's sort of apples and oranges compared to SC because the formats are so different, but I would give strong consideration to 3rd being the best of the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
3rd is one of the best jrpgs ever made

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The Colonel posted:

3rd is one of the best jrpgs ever made

Well the Top 10 involves 8 straight Kiseki/Trails Games, so yeah.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Where did you get those screenshots from? Are you the guy who wrote the latest blog entry?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Seems like some sort of ToCS3 mini trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFN1pZB2_GM
(Who is the Sister?)

Edit: playable Tita, with Orbal Gear

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 20, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Oh, wow. Playable Tita confirmed and she continues bringing an orbal deathmech to a knife fight. Awesome. Awaiting that :3: moment where you open the status screen with her and Agate in the party and notice they have maxed out bonding points between the two of them from the get-go.

The sister's facial features somewhat resemble Rosine's, who had short hair in CS1 and CS2.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

Oh, wow. Playable Tita confirmed and she continues bringing an orbal deathmech to a knife fight. Awesome. Awaiting that :3: moment where you open the status screen with her and Agate in the party and notice they have maxed out bonding points between the two of them from the get-go.

The sister's facial features somewhat resemble Rosine's, who had short hair in CS1 and CS2.

Maybe not quite a Sister...:
https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/887983679875817472

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I need to re-read that novel when Cold Steel comes out in 2 weeks.

Also, the second batch of Class VII blurbs came up on gematsu.

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-details-fie-emma-celine-gaius-millum

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erpy posted:

Where did you get those screenshots from? Are you the guy who wrote the latest blog entry?

Durante posted them over on neogaf, and I stole them.

I haven't actually read all of Red Moon Rose, yet. Something something vampires.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should read it because CS3 is gonna be when we find out the truth about the "vampires".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

if only there was an upcoming way to read it, in-game, on pc, for the price of $39.99 with a 10% launch week discount...........

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

uh hello

202 CP?!?!?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Terper posted:

uh hello

202 CP?!?!?

Whenever you survive fighting demons you get some perks.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The ep numbers are always so low.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's fine, I never run out anyway.

Seriously I can't recall the last time I used an EP Charge. Maybe after I used a Lost Art once or twice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Magic wasn't good enough back in CS1 when EP was low, and by the time it was good in EP2, you had friend links that give 50 EP per turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Terper posted:

That's fine, I never run out anyway.

Seriously I can't recall the last time I used an EP Charge. Maybe after I used a Lost Art once or twice.

I use a ton when I do Machias Chrono Burst spam.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I Will Not Use Chrono Burst.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lets hang out posted:

The ep numbers are always so low.

That's Agate and Tita. They don't need EP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What are the 'best' versions of Ys 3&4 to play that aren't the more modern remakes?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the snes and pc engine versions of ys iv are entirely different games and to my knowledge the pc engine version is supposed to be better

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

What are the 'best' versions of Ys 3&4 to play that aren't the more modern remakes?

The best version of Ys 3 to play that isn't Oath in Felghana is the X68000 version but if you want to play it in English, the Genesis version is a slightly downgraded port of the X68000 version. The English Turbo-Grafx 16 version has the best music but it plays like rear end. Though I still wouldn't really call any version of Ys 3 besides Oath in Felghana a good game.

As for Ys 4, like The Colonel said Dawn of Ys for the PC Engine and Mask of the Sun for the Super Famicom are two completely different games which just share some basic character names and concepts. Before Memories of Celceta came out, Mask of the Sun was considered more canonical and Taito made a PS2 remake of Mask of the Sun too back in the day but I honestly think Dawn of Ys is the better game between the two. More fun to play, much better music.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I bought a double-sided poster with a bracer pin and one of the soundtrack CDs for FC off the XSeed store. When it arrived, it came with a sample CD for The Last Story. If you want another way to support XSeed, I strongly recommend it.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Beelerzebub posted:

I bought a double-sided poster with a bracer pin and one of the soundtrack CDs for FC off the XSeed store. When it arrived, it came with a sample CD for The Last Story. If you want another way to support XSeed, I strongly recommend it.

Why is this the first time I've heard of XSEED selling Trials in the Sky Merchandise. WHY IS THE PHYSICAL CD $9 CHEAPER THAN BUYING THE DIGITAL COPY OFF AMAZON (that I already bought months and months ago).

Given the $20 min purchase and the poster + pin is only $5, I would love if I could somehow buy a ToCS steam key through that store too to cover the difference. Maybe I'll email their support after it's released on steam.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Physical goods take up warehouse space and that costs the company money so gotta move that stuff by discounting it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wait, is XSeed selling the Cold Steel OST's too, because the digital versions for that have Japanese for everything but the battle themes.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, is XSeed selling the Cold Steel OST's too, because the digital versions for that have Japanese for everything but the battle themes.

Doesn't seem to be there. Most of the merch at least seems to be overstock from things they sold at cons.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Is The Last Story worth getting? There's a used copy at Gamestop in good condition for $30.

E: just remembered this is a Falcom thread and not XSeed. Woops.

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 22, 2017

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Regardless of thread, The Last Story is a good game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
gently caress this first fortress boss with all the adds, why did they think this was a good idea for a fight?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Justin_Brett posted:

gently caress this first fortress boss with all the adds, why did they think this was a good idea for a fight?

The first boss in the impregnable fortress? Those adds are annoying, yes, but they don't have many status resistences which means they can become your adds instead.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The best solution I found was bringing Agate and Joshua and then spamming theirs and Kevin's offensive S-Crafts. Tita probably could have really helpful I imagine, but I just used her in the lab.

Now the second boss' adds can kill me in one round. What do they expect you to do?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 24, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I don't recall them hitting THAT hard. Are you playing NG Nightmare? Wearing the latest armor? Underlevelled?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They were moving quick enough to get multiple attacks, and three fifths of them have some kind of AoE. Had to resort to S-Break spam and just getting lucky.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Did you buff your own speed with Clock Up Ex and lower their speed with Clock Down? Speed is the single most important factor in controlling a battle in any Trails game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Colonel posted:

xanadu next is pretty weird and sort of interesting, though i've cooled a lot on it after trying to replay it. it's like a weird mix of diablo-style presentation with metroidvania game design and progression, so while it kind of looks like a diablo clone it's a lot more focused on exploring a huge labyrinth with huge areas that have a linear progression of loot and equipment, with each new weapon having a unique ability that you can learn and then apply to other weapons, which range from special attacks to attribute modifiers.

Nate RFB posted:

The UI is hilariously awkward, but as a dungeon crawler I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked how the leveling system was such that you could allot points to any category, but you also had a bit of guidance of where it made the most sense to put them because you needed certain levels for equipment.
Hmm, I see. Might check it out next time it's on sale then. I'll probably focus on finishing the Trails trilogy first though.

Thanks.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Erpy posted:

Did you buff your own speed with Clock Up Ex and lower their speed with Clock Down? Speed is the single most important factor in controlling a battle in any Trails game.

I didn't have any opportunity to start doing that and take advantage of it before they got attacks in.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You can raise your speed with Onyx Gems, Fool's Emblems and certain equipment. You can also move all your characters to the back of the grid prior to the fight so most enemy melee units will have to waste a turn getting to you, which gives you some more breathing room. And if the RNG still decides to let the whole enemy party before yours, there's Kevin's Grail Sphere, which should always be his S-break, to give you room to cast buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

In the immortal words of anyone who has played SMT Nocturne: Use buffs.