Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

EricBauman posted:

You can't tell me that you haven't noticed that way too many of these stories are shot in Berlin. It's gotten worse in the last decade, probably because of the tax incentives. Berlin Station came only a year after the Germany season of Homeland. I think you can now find an American crew shooting a spy thriller movie or tv show in Berlin year round.

Berlin has been the setting for spy stories for well over 50 years, and the reason for that is that Berlin has been absolutely essential to real world spying for, you guessed it, well over 50 years. How do you tell a wide ranging cold war story without the city shared by both sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Berlin has been the setting for spy stories for well over 50 years, and the reason for that is that Berlin has been absolutely essential to real world spying for, you guessed it, well over 50 years. How do you tell a wide ranging cold war story without the city shared by both sides?

My problem isn't with the relevance of Berlin, of which I'm well aware. It's about the increased rate of media production taking place there or set there.

Would you also take offense if I said that there is a trend for more tv set in the political circles of Washington DC that started with the West Wing? It certainly feels like that is a thing too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

EricBauman posted:

You can't tell me that you haven't noticed that way too many of these stories are shot in Berlin. It's gotten worse in the last decade, probably because of the tax incentives. Berlin Station came only a year after the Germany season of Homeland. I think you can now find an American crew shooting a spy thriller movie or tv show in Berlin year round.

That's hilarious.

Kartoffelkopf

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EricBauman posted:

On tv, just in the last years there was also Deutschland 83. For movies, this is just my list of what I've seen myself, without getting into movies dealing with nazi Germany and German films dealing with the Cold War, because those are obvious:

The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
Jason Bourne
Bridge of Spies
Hitman
Hanna
Mission Impossible (probably multiples there too)
Unknown
The International
The Constant Gardener
Fast and Furious 8
Spooks: The Greater Good

I thought The A Team was one too, but that was shot elsewhere in Germany.
Lots of earlier stuff too, like Spy Game.
There's probably many more. I didn't want to go through the whole imdb list. At least 10% of the 7000 titles listed for Berlin are from the last three years.
I fully expect that if Taken 4 ever gets made, they'll set it in Berlin.

They do it just for the tax credits. There was no good story reason those Berlin scenes in Jason Bourne couldn't have been set and filmed in London.

Yeah those 15+ year old movies whose books were set in Berlin sure are some weird new trend.

Psyched about that Psych movie, even though I never did see the last season of the show. I think I might be ready for more Burn Notice too at this point.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently one of the things James Roday has been doing to keep busy after Psych ended was directing TV shows. He did a string of Rosewood episodes and also two episodes of Blood Drive.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thanks to everyone who recommended Blood Drive. It's a bit too black/nihilistic for me but it is riiiight up my fella's alley. He got all wide eyed watching it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently one of the things James Roday has been doing to keep busy after Psych ended was directing TV shows. He did a string of Rosewood episodes and also two episodes of Blood Drive.

Not surprised. You could always tell when Roday directed an episode, and they were usually awesome.

I love that they got him for Blood Drive, too; his style is a great fit for that show.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ozark is very good, only two episodes in (watching with a friend) and I would consider making a thread for it, but seeming I won't finish it for a few weeks maybe someone else can.

Well made, sure it'll draw comparisons to breaking bad but they're going in different directions (so far anyway) and Jason Bateman is directing them and he seems very good at directing if that's the case, also good as a serious actor.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Patrovsky posted:

Well, Manager. We'll just say Manager.

I know but you just said...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Digital Jedi posted:

Pretty excited for this. Loved Psych and still quote from it often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhw3yBdnsUA

I'm curious to see how they worked Lassie in, because last I heard Omundson is still in really rough shape.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Psych is godawful and the Twin Peaks episode was a cringefest. Hey remember that thing that happened in Twin Peaks? We did it again with the same actor!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Timby posted:

I'm curious to see how they worked Lassie in, because last I heard Omundson is still in really rough shape.

Book it: Gus and Shawn are drawn back to Santa Barbara because somebody shot Lassie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Psych owns and I really need to finish it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I'm withholding judgment on Confederates until we know more about it. It could really go either way, from what I see, and I'm gonna need at least a loving trailer before I call it.

muscles like this! posted:

I'm withholding judgment until they introduce a sympathetic slave owner. If they do the show can go gently caress itself.

I'm not withholding judgment. gently caress that show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The confederates did win, it just took a while.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DivisionPost posted:

Book it: Gus and Shawn are drawn back to Santa Barbara because somebody shot Lassie.

I doubt it. Roday was saying earlier this week that Omundson only shot one scene and he's not even 100 percent sure it will be in the finished movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just keep feeling sad that I can't find a way to binge Psych.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

STAC Goat posted:

I just keep feeling sad that I can't find a way to binge Psych.

My library has all the seasons on DVD/BluRay.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I tried watching Psych a couple times, from the beginning then picking random episodes. The Twin Peaks one was so bad even my Twin Peaks boner couldn't salvage it, but I'm willing to let it slide as a lovely episode in a big rear end collection of episodes.

Is there a certain place in the first one or two seasons where it hits a really good stride, or do the characters and humour stay the same throughout? Probably it just isn't for me but, eh, if there's a distinct uptick in quality after a certain point, I can always use a show to half watch while playing Rimworld or FFXIV.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Psych is just good enough to keep watching, but it's never actually good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I had a feeling. Most USA shows are like that. Good but nothing special.

Probably the humour and characters just aren't my jam. I like the concept but found the show itself obnoxious. Still, I might scrub through some of it before the movie. Maybe it's one of those shows that grows on you, like a fungus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Psych would be a lot better if the main character was actually ever as funny as he seems to think he is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there's some growing pains early on and the chemistry gets better as they work through the first season, but in general if you caught a bunch of random episodes and didn't like it then you probably just don't like it. The whole thing is in the charm and humor of the leads so if that's not working for you there's not much else there.

It was a fun show to watch, nothing more.

I didn't care for the Twin Peaks episode but I've never seen Twin Peaks. Psych did a lot of one off gimmick episodes like that and they basically depend on you enjoying the thing they're spoofing/homaging. As a horror fan I got a kick out of their "Friday the 17th" episode. But again, its heavily dependent on you enjoying the chemistry between the leads.

As most USA shows from that time period were.

Lurdiak posted:

Psych would be a lot better if the main character was actually ever as funny as he seems to think he is.

Well a big part of the joke is definitely that Sean is pretty incorrigible in his smugness and not nearly as funny as he thinks he is but everyone still likes him despite it and he always ends up being clever in the end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Psych would be better if it was Limitless.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Limitless shocked me with how good it actually was. I fully expected to continue watching just for Jennifer Carpenter, but then the show ended up being way better than I would have guessed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just can't watch Jennifer Carpenter because all I see is the foul mouthed cop who wanted to bang her creepy killer brother.

Its gonna take some kind of Katey Segal second life for me to get past that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's me, I'm the person for whom Deb was the best part of the show. Even the dumbass directions they took her in the later seasons salvaged how bad post-Rita Dexter is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd enjoyed her when I enjoyed the show. And Quarantine is a bit of a low level modern horror favorite of mine.

Then a shrink convinced her that she wanted to bang her brother and everything got weird. And its one of those things that just leaves a mark on an actor/actress for me.

Like, JK Simmons will always be a raping nazi to me and I just can't do anything about that. Sometimes you kill a role and that role kills you.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ngl the 'deb loves dexter' plot is something I always thought would come up, even before Buck took over. The way Buck handled then abruptly dropped it made it dumb af though.

Like the plotline itself didn't bug me, but the way they had the shrink basically put the idea in Deb's head was weird. Also the awkward timing of that storyline appearing right after Hall and Carpenter divorced.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

esperterra posted:

It's me, I'm the person for whom Deb was the best part of the show. Even the dumbass directions they took her in the later seasons salvaged how bad post-Rita Dexter is.

This needs to be bannable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Like, JK Simmons will always be a raping nazi to me

J. Jonah Jameson got real dark, huh?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It made the Spider-Man movies really weird, yes.

Also, SVU is just a mine field of uncomfortable character shifts from Oz.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

This needs to be bannable.

Let me get my lesbian jush, damnit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Psyche was great and James Roday is a goddamned national treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6JvewV0MOA

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not withholding judgment. gently caress that show.

If I say that and then the show turns out to be "HEY WHITE PEOPLE, gently caress YOU" I am going to have my foot firmly lodged in my mouth. I don't typically like having my foot in my mouth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If I say that and then the show turns out to be "HEY WHITE PEOPLE, gently caress YOU" I am going to have my foot firmly lodged in my mouth. I don't typically like having my foot in my mouth.

There's no loving way it'd get greenlit if that's what the show was about. And you absolutely wouldn't need to set it in alternate earth to make that point. It's going to be Game of Thrones but with plantations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Also, SVU is just a mine field of uncomfortable character shifts from Oz.

Oz features a lot of actors from the early years of Homicide, too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was like a whole Fontana/Wolf thing for awhile there where it seemed like there were only like 100 actors in the world or something. I fell out of those kinds of cop shows after awhile but at the time it was like watching soap operas trade actors and actresses around.

My secret favorite was New York Undercover.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Psych is godawful and the Twin Peaks episode was a cringefest. Hey remember that thing that happened in Twin Peaks? We did it again with the same actor!

Going off of the response to Twin Peaks: The Return this is exactly what a lot of people want, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only thing that Psych episode has over TP3 so far is Sherilyn Fenn.

If Audrey doesn't show up this weekend I'ma riot.

• Locked thread