Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Earwicker posted:

you mean this?

https://imgur.com/a/EK36n#c6njKqX

I really dont get how you are seeing numbers in that image

Looks like a 7... maybe 3, then a 9?

Nah but seriously that last pic looks like... something.

Since these recent releases seem to be politically driven, what the hell is The Lovers about? All the other songs from this EP, and most from NTAE seem negative while The Lovers is way different. BERNIE!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I like it because it's got so many interesting little soundscapes in the proper song and the loop itself is pretty sick aside from the skip, which seems to fade as it continues to distort. I absolutely get not liking it but I think it's the most interesting thing he's done (as NIN) since Ghosts. Although I do also really like While I'm Still Here and Black Note on Hesitation Marks.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Immolat1on posted:

Since these recent releases seem to be politically driven, what the hell is The Lovers about? All the other songs from this EP, and most from NTAE seem negative while The Lovers is way different. BERNIE!?

I dunno, but it is the same length as Dear World, and also features the line "everyone seems to be asleep." Has anyone tried splicing them together or looking at them in a spectrograph?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, I listened to The Background World again in my car and it’s loving beautiful. I love that devolution into noise so much.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

robot roll call posted:

I like it because it's got so many interesting little soundscapes in the proper song and the loop itself is pretty sick aside from the skip, which seems to fade as it continues to distort. I absolutely get not liking it but I think it's the most interesting thing he's done (as NIN) since Ghosts. Although I do also really like While I'm Still Here and Black Note on Hesitation Marks.

You took the words from my mouth. Agreed on all accounts.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The chorus of NOT ANYMORE really takes me out of the song and sort of ruins it for me. It's just not that congruent with the verses. It just comes out of nowhere and doesn't seem to fit in the song. It's probably my least liked song on the EP. The rest of it is pretty amazing though. Also, I wish The Background World was a proper song a bit longer, as I think it's the best one on the album. That ending though...I can't decide if I love it or hate it.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Studio version of the remix of I Can't Give Everything Away that was uploaded 7 months ago ( :eyepop: )

https://soundcloud.com/thisisthenumbernineteen

There just 18 songs in me
And I just wrote 19th
Don't know where I got the inspiration
Or how I set the scene
Spent my whole life just digging up
My music's shallow grave
And the 19th I just made

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Struggling with whether to get the DIgital+Physical component, or the bundle with the vinyl and the (crap) shirt. What do you suppose the vinyl will be, standalone? If $20 I'd go for that just because I hate the shirt so much I'd pay $2 more to not have it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The NTAE vinyl is $20 right? So I assume the same for this one.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

repeating posted:

Struggling with whether to get the DIgital+Physical component, or the bundle with the vinyl and the (crap) shirt. What do you suppose the vinyl will be, standalone? If $20 I'd go for that just because I hate the shirt so much I'd pay $2 more to not have it.

$50 bundle does not include vinyl.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

obeyasia posted:

$50 bundle does not include vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0y9XTRL8B4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6BLXrWZ1E

Pro-shot footage from Bakersfield Wednesday night featuring Branches/Bones and Copy Of A.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6BLXrWZ1E

Pro-shot footage from Bakersfield Wednesday night featuring Branches/Bones and Copy Of A.

I was wondering why there was a guy with a camera rig walking around the stage during those two songs. But I did noticed something else off on the stage. On either side there were what looked like projectors mounted on arms that the crew was moving around. But then I figured it was just a lighting thing and just ignored them afterwards. This is what I'm talking about.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Sorry for being that guy, but does anyone else really dislike the sound Trent has been sort of stuck in during this post How To Destroy Angels phase of his career? This really murky bass and low-mid heavy sound dominated by obscure physical analog synths playing farty lines, overtly synthetic drum sounds, filtered white noise snares and bass drums that are all low end, weird glitchy screaming oscillator noises spliced in for background texture, and then a nominal "real instrument" sound like a heavily filtered piano or a guitar which we've been hearing since With Teeth, playing simple melodies and harmonic ideas we've been hearing since With Teeth.

I'm not trying to drag the new album, I like it, but it feels like he's been making the same record over and over for years and for a guy whose known for his production, he keeps using this ugly, limited palette of the same guitar sounds, the same piano sounds, the same synth and drum sounds, for a decade.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fallenturtle posted:

And I just wrote 19th
Don't know where I got the inspiration
Or how I set the scene
Spent my whole life just digging up
My music's shallow grave
And the 19th I just made

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate this :golfclap:. Now sing it in Greek!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Sai-kun posted:

I want more pretty hate machine reworks

Have you heard "Pretty Eight Machine"?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Periodiko posted:

Sorry for being that guy, but does anyone else really dislike the sound Trent has been sort of stuck in during this post How To Destroy Angels phase of his career? This really murky bass and low-mid heavy sound dominated by obscure physical analog synths playing farty lines, overtly synthetic drum sounds, filtered white noise snares and bass drums that are all low end, weird glitchy screaming oscillator noises spliced in for background texture, and then a nominal "real instrument" sound like a heavily filtered piano or a guitar which we've been hearing since With Teeth, playing simple melodies and harmonic ideas we've been hearing since With Teeth.

I'm not trying to drag the new album, I like it, but it feels like he's been making the same record over and over for years and for a guy whose known for his production, he keeps using this ugly, limited palette of the same guitar sounds, the same piano sounds, the same synth and drum sounds, for a decade.
You have a point. I would say that he needs to incorporate more outside influences but it actually seems like he does work more closely with others now than he used to. Maybe he's just the boss in the studio?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Slip & Hesitation Marks felt that way to me. NTAE really expanded the sonic palette though. Add Violence is a little closer to the previous sound, but I think that just suits these songs. They're mostly pretty low-key and ambient and I can't really think of a different way to do them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Periodiko posted:

I agree with you that he's been working with a more limited set of the same instruments and souns since With Teeth, and there is a lot of "sameyness". In some cases it works well - I love Ghosts and his soundtrack to Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and I think Hesitation Marks has some strong points, though much of that album suffers from what you are talking about - as does this new EP. I do think NTAE stood out a bit from all this.

Honestly I was kind of hoping that he'd veer away from NIN all together and become primarily a film composer but go in more experimental directions eventually.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 22, 2017

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

the thing is that he used to take whatever was popular and do it really well while still in his sound. phm was better ministry, broken won best metal song of the year, tds is 90s sampling with a concept record, perfect drug is honestly one of the best electronica songs ever, fragile did late smashing pumpkins way better, year zero is in rainbows/radiohead marketing ideas and all this new stuff is just the drive soundtrack. the problem is cliff martinez is way better at this stuff.

this ep is better than the last one. the plugin overdose at the end is dumb as poo poo.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

magiccarpet posted:

the thing is that he used to take whatever was popular and do it really well while still in his sound. phm was better ministry, broken won best metal song of the year, tds is 90s sampling with a concept record, perfect drug is honestly one of the best electronica songs ever, fragile did late smashing pumpkins way better, year zero is in rainbows/radiohead marketing ideas and all this new stuff is just the drive soundtrack. the problem is cliff martinez is way better at this stuff.

this ep is better than the last one. the plugin overdose at the end is dumb as poo poo.
Not sure I agree about your central premise. I mean, most musicians are going to be influenced by what's happening at the time, but I don't know that Trent built on it like that. PHM was way more inspired by things like Depeche Mode than Ministry (I would say Broken is closer to Ministry, especially their live sound of that period). And you're saying The Fragile was inspired by Adore?

One major factor for the change of sound was probably the drugs... he got cleaned up after The Fragile, right? Uncle Al of Ministry seems to have mixed feeling about his addiction since he claims he wrote some of his best songs while blasted out of his mind. Then again, he probably wrote Dark Side of the Spoon while severely hosed up too...

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Periodiko posted:

I think the biggest change in these EPs' music is that he's basically been playing more with rough transitions and also just mixing things so the noise is more prominent and the melody is less prominent. HM stands out from the other albums with its extensive use of looping synths.

I am curious to how much influence Ross is having on the sound and song writing.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

magiccarpet posted:

I wouldn't call TDS a sampling record even though its composed mostly of samples because they are very well integrated, they don't stand out as samples most of the time as much as something like Moby. I think its what he did with PHM and Broken where he essentially took aspects of Industrial music and put a pop sheen to it. PHM is electro-industrial combined with pop music. Broken is industrial metal combined with pop music. I think TDS is him taking what he did with his previous two albums combining it with a lot of just experimenting in the studio and bits and pieces of non-industrial influences mixed in. As much as I like lots of his other stuff since then, I think TDS is his pinnacle when it comes to creativity.

quote:

Knowing Reznor its not a plugin but actually some contrived elaborate string of modular effects.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 23, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

fallenturtle posted:

Knowing Reznor its not a plugin but actually some contrived string of modular effects.

The silence is him unplugging a module to plug another device in to add more distortion.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

david_a posted:

Not sure I agree about your central premise. I mean, most musicians are going to be influenced by what's happening at the time, but I don't know that Trent built on it like that. PHM was way more inspired by things like Depeche Mode than Ministry (I would say Broken is closer to Ministry, especially their live sound of that period). And you're saying The Fragile was inspired by Adore?

you're right, phm is more depeche mode.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's a preset in Izotope Trash that just totally nails his TDS sound, it's called Trent Smash and I love it. But yeah, now now it's probably about £28889 worth of modular to get the same effect

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
I was actually pretty into the end of the EP but it definitely didn't need to go on for 6 loving minutes

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Yeah I gave the full end a listen finally last night, it's neat but it goes of too long. Maybe cut the disintegration process in half and it'll be ok.

magiccarpet posted:

you're right, phm is more depeche mode.

PHM is DM, Broken is Minstry, TDS is Low/Berlin-era Bowie, and Fragile is ...Paul's Boutique cause nobody bought it at the time and yet it's somehow everyone's favorite. :v:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Molestationary Store posted:

Yeah I gave the full end a listen finally last night, it's neat but it goes of too long. Maybe cut the disintegration process in half and it'll be ok.

LOL, "THIS ART DOESN'T WORK FOR ME, CHANGE IT".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As someone who really enjoys the album The Disintegration Loops I find it funny to see people losing their patience with the end of The Background World

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

glam rock hamhock posted:

As someone who really enjoys the album The Disintegration Loops I find it funny to see people losing their patience with the end of The Background World

This

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

glam rock hamhock posted:

:same:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've... listened to things you people wouldn't believe. Avant-garde jazz freestyles from a shoegaze organ trio. I heard cymbals grinding in a blender accompanied by André Tanneberger's bass. All those... MP3s will be lost to time, like... Tapeworm in 2004. Time to cry.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I like the looping end. It was awkward and annoying at first, but as the music disintegrated it became this sort of overwhelming white noise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/i/live/869676951618834433

Okay, so here's the stream link for FYF Fest tonight. NIN play from 10:45>12:15, but it's in Los Angeles so I'm assuming that's Pacific Time? So it'd be 12:45 to 2:15 for me in Central?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Is it gonna go back to live for their set? Just playing stuff from earlier today right now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

repeating posted:

Is it gonna go back to live for their set? Just playing stuff from earlier today right now.
Huh, yeah, I have no idea. It's supposed to start (live) in a couple minutes but they just started playing Iggy Pop's set from the daytime on the stream :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So I'm guessing from the lack of posting they hosed something up

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Just listening to the new EP on Spotify. The Background World sounds like something off the last third of With Teeth, the transition from muffled to clean at around the two minute mark and then the slow push back to to distortion is fabulous. It even has bleeding through in the lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finally broke down for the first time and bought the EP/t-shirt combo. Haven't had a NIN shirt since PHM came out in college.