Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nielsm posted:

Well, 10 doesn't have "glass" effects with background blurring.
Not yet :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

nielsm posted:

Well, 10 doesn't have "glass" effects with background blurring.

"Glass" and blurring stuff is going to start being added to Win10 in the fall with their new "design language".

:getin:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Snuffman posted:

"Glass" and blurring stuff is going to start being added to Win10 in the fall with their new "design language".

It's already in a bunch of apps, they're just extending it to the start menu and other bits in the fall update. It's on mobile too, looks nice.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Snuffman posted:

You should already have it in the calculator, clock (in full-window mode for timer and stopwatch) and music player. It IS a pretty nice touch, and it's real different from the current start/taskbar/tray-popup transparency effect.

E: Also people, maps (only within its own window), and photos and movies (header).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 12, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

dont be mean to me posted:

You should already have it in the calculator, clock (in full-window mode for timer and stopwatch) and music player. It IS a pretty nice touch, and it's real different from the current start/taskbar/tray-popup transparency effect.

E: Also people, maps (only within its own window), and photos and movies (header).

I only saw it in a video, but aren't they all completely different transparencies? Like each app interpreted the idea in their own way, so there's no consistency at all. Or have they got everyone using the same design language now

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

I'm already kinda disappointed with the performance of some of the core stuff they're switching over to new apps, the Start Menu is occasionally hiccuping by seemingly dropping an input and even the Calculator can take a full second or two to load despite having a SSD. Hopefully all these new graphics isn't going to bloat performance even more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

stevewm posted:

Looking at the specs for that laptop, I see it has GMA3100 graphics... You are going to be pretty disappointed with the performance in Windows 10. Intel does not provide an offical 10 driver for it, and the one included in Windows 10 is pretty abysmal. I know this from experience.

The "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver was faster!

Graphics performance has been fine on my old Thinkpad X61T, which has an Intel X3100 graphics chipset. I think I did snag a driver from Windows 7 to use which improved things?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When I bought the laptop, I specifically ordered an nVidia card put in it. Only has 128 mb of video memory which is :lol: for games today, but it should still work fine for the basic facebook, email, banking, and shopping it'll be doing these days.

I installed 32-bit since that's what the version of Vista installed on it was, guess I could try the 64-bit version and see if that helps, along with the partitioning stuff. I sure didn't see even basic drivers in the recovery partitions when I browsed through 'em before hand. I tried to update the bios, but the flasher won't run unless the battery is at least 10% charged, and the battery has been stone dead for years now.

EDIT: Yeah, that didn't change a thing. Time to burn a Win7 disk.

EDIT2: Okay, Win7 Pro 64-bit installed fine. It's almost maxing out the 2 GB of memory though, so I guess I'll have to pick up another 2 GB stick to throw in it. I tried to do the Win10 updater anyway, but it wouldn't let me through without either Win7 being activated or a Win10 key, and it didn't accept the Win7 key I had for the prompt. I'm guessing it won't work if I activate Win7 with the key and try to upgrade to Win10?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 12, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005

fishmech posted:

Graphics performance has been fine on my old Thinkpad X61T, which has an Intel X3100 graphics chipset. I think I did snag a driver from Windows 7 to use which improved things?

That must be the ticket then. Because the one that is included with 10 is not so great. It just made everything feel laggy....

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr Snofeld posted:

How can I stop Windows 10 from updating GPU drivers without my permission? I'm trying to roll back to a specific older AMD driver by:

- Running Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode
- Disabling automatic driver downloads in device installation settings
- Installing the older AMD drivers, disabling automatic updates in the installer

This works for a while, and Device Manager shows the card as having the older drivers. But a few hours later I'll be doing something else and the screen will flick off and on like it does during driver installation. I check Device Manager and the card has the most recent drivers on it. How is Windows doing this and how can I get it to knock it off?

If you're still having trouble with this, what you want to do is:
1. uninstall your current drivers, with add/remove programs not DDU
2. reinstall the drivers you don't want that keep coming back (from the official installer package)
3. then uninstall them, again with add/remove programs
4. run DDU to clean out everything else

DDU is a supplement to driver uninstalling, not a method to remove drivers with zero other steps. Unfortunate that it's named "Uninstaller", would be more appropriate if it was "cleaner" or something. I think there was a previous thing named cleaner though so they couldn't use that.

In the future, if you ever need to downgrade drivers, you need to uninstall from add/remove programs first. Otherwise there are copies left in places that are very protected and difficult to remove. It's the normal uninstall or upgrade process that tells windows those backups is no longer needed and can be removed.

If you want to continue using DDU, make sure to do the complete uninstall -> DDU clean -> reinstall every time. But it's really not needed these days. Driver management is much better than the days when cleaners were needed, it's kinda snake oil now. I wouldn't bother unless I was changing video cards between AMD & nvidia, or wanted to clean all settings for some reason.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

The effect in Calculator is so subtle it really just looks like you'd stuck a magnet to a CRT monitor.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When my Malwarebytes scan finished, I got an error saying to "Turn on Windows Security Center Service" I think the latest version of malwarebytes, or windows 10, is conflicting with each other. I DID just update my computer before scanning

edit: Must have been a hiccup, everything seems fine with the security center.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 15, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is it possible to create drop down or pop up menus in the windows 10 taskbar? I know there are docks that you can do it with, but I don't want it to be all fancy. Am I going to have to use some third party thing to replace the taskbar?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is it possible to create drop down or pop up menus in the windows 10 taskbar? I know there are docks that you can do it with, but I don't want it to be all fancy. Am I going to have to use some third party thing to replace the taskbar?

Try this. http://www.1upindustries.com/bins/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Bins is an incredible program, but it currently breaks Windows :(

The creator is working on an update, but there's nothing on his twitter at the moment about how long it'll be.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You can also just make your own toolbars. Put some links in a folder.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gorilla Salad posted:

Bins is an incredible program, but it currently breaks Windows :(

The creator is working on an update, but there's nothing on his twitter at the moment about how long it'll be.

https://twitter.com/1UPIndustries/status/886680588693807104

:)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's great news! Bins is the best little program.

I must have linked that loving minutes before he updated because it wasn't there when I posted.

Also, I bought the software two weeks after the cutoff date, so I don't even have to buy it again.

And it remembered all my setting from before it broke :allears:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 18, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ran into the oddest problem ever. System has a Z97 based ASrock mobo, GTX 1060, WIndows 10 64bit Pro. Uptime of around 2 months. Suddenly when scrolling down in apps both dual monitors go to sleep. Shake the mouse, screens turn back on. I could make it happen instantly by scrolling the volume control down.
Reboot, all is fine. .. what a weird goddamn problem.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

I just ran into the oddest problem ever. System has a Z97 based ASrock mobo, GTX 1060, WIndows 10 64bit Pro. Uptime of around 2 months. Suddenly when scrolling down in apps both dual monitors go to sleep. Shake the mouse, screens turn back on. I could make it happen instantly by scrolling the volume control down.

Update your drat computer.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

At this point it's worth just putting redeyes on ignore.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

Update your drat computer.

It's not my drat computer. It's a odd bug. And gently caress you pal ^^

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

redeyes posted:

Quoting you so that he sees this.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

It is the drat computer associated with you and your post, hence 'your drat computer'.

I hope you updated your drat computer. :cheers:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

It is the drat computer associated with you and your post, hence 'your drat computer'.

I hope you updated your drat computer. :cheers:

Well since everyone jumps up my rear end, which I know is because I posted about it, of course I updated everything. I wouldn't have posted about it at all but it was kind of a funny bug:cheers:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
a) If MS releases monthly updates, how come you could've updated everything and not rebooted for 2 months.
b) Why are you posting without first trying to turn it off and on again.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

redeyes posted:

Well since everyone jumps up my rear end, which I know is because I posted about it, of course I updated everything. I wouldn't have posted about it at all but it was kind of a funny bug:cheers:

In all fairness that is a pretty bizarre glitch.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Alright. I just did a rebuild/upgrade of my computer, which included a fresh install of Win10 onto an SSD.

I'm planning to keep the SSD solely as a boot drive and for specific games/programs I feel will be aided by it, but I want to keep as much stuff on the old HDD as possible:

1. None of my old programs appear in the start menu. Any way to fix this?
  2. How can I tell windows to download and install stuff on the old HDD by default? Program Files and Program Files (x86) for example - can they stay on the old HDD?
  3. The old disk is now "E:", whereas it was "C:" before (that now belongs to the SSD). This seems to have broken stuff like AppData. Do I just need to move relevant AppData folders over to the corresponding location on the new drive?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

Alright. I just did a rebuild/upgrade of my computer, which included a fresh install of Win10 onto an SSD.

I'm planning to keep the SSD solely as a boot drive and for specific games/programs I feel will be aided by it, but I want to keep as much stuff on the old HDD as possible:

1. None of my old programs appear in the start menu. Any way to fix this?
  2. How can I tell windows to download and install stuff on the old HDD by default? Program Files and Program Files (x86) for example - can they stay on the old HDD?
  3. The old disk is now "E:", whereas it was "C:" before (that now belongs to the SSD). This seems to have broken stuff like AppData. Do I just need to move relevant AppData folders over to the corresponding location on the new drive?

1) If it's a fresh install of Windows then none of the system hooks that make a program 'installed' exist in that instance of Windows, so all it sees of your old hard drive is a drive with a bunch of stuff on it. If you have the installers for each program then you should be able to install them as normal and point them to the right folder on the HDD (so E:\Program Files\etc), although it depends on the individual program for how well it responds to you installing over an existing folder. Personally I've never had trouble with it.

2) Look for Storage under the Settings app and you can set which drive things download to and where Store apps install, but any regular installer will default to your system drive, so just do what I do and change that C: to an E: when it asks where to install to.

3) Same as 1), it's a new Windows install so your old AppData folders are just a bunch of files on a drive that Windows hasn't been told to do anything with. As far as I'm aware you should be able to copy the contents over to the corresponding location on the SSD, but someone stop me if that's incorrect.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 20, 2017

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

3) Same as 1), it's a new Windows install so your old AppData folders are just a bunch of files on a drive that Windows hasn't been told to do anything with. As far as I'm aware you should be able to copy the contents over to the corresponding location on the SSD, but someone stop me if that's incorrect.

I've done this before, and it worked out pretty well. It was kind of spooky installing Firefox and having all my preferences already set.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Did something change to the delivery of the monthly updates? Patch Tuesday was last week and both on my desktop and laptop running Win 10 Pro creators update and updates from June I'm not getting the July updates. When I manually check for updates all I get is a defender update and after that's installed it reports that windows is up to date.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's pretty weird. I got all the updates here both work and at home.

The July fixed the issue I had with Windows Security Center giving a big red x in the taskbar for a disabled local firewall.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Turns out it was me having enabled defer updates for quality updates and feature updates :downs:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

redeyes posted:

I just woke up my laptop from hibernation and it was doing the exact same thing. Scroll down, screens sleep. I'm pretty sure it's fully patched, and a reboot solved the problem. What an awesome bug.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Between upgrades and new purchases, we don't have any accessible systems on our original Homegroup. I want to start a new one... but Windows keeps on telling me - on each system - that a Homegroup already exists. How do I say "gently caress that" and start a brand new Homegroup?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

I just woke up my laptop from hibernation and it was doing the exact same thing. Scroll down, screens sleep. I'm pretty sure it's fully patched, and a reboot solved the problem. What an awesome bug.

Oh boy. haha. I just have no idea how scrolling down can cause that. Seems like an impossible bug.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I don't have any expectations of a solution as I've read a slew of "stuff" regarding this "issue" but I can't seem to find a solution. (I also assume because LOL MS hurf, there won't be one).

So I use a small program called DeskView

Anyone using DeskView to make their desktop items appear as if they're in "details" view?

Eg.

I was able to move the icons around with no issues. Now, if I create a folder and want to move it beside the THIS PC icon. I get this.

Post Creators Update. :argh: (It's supposed to be that far away from THIS PC fyi)

The icons automatically arrange themselves like that (and yes, auto arrange is not enabled. I'm not *THAT* stupid.)
I've "tried" everything I can think of and I'm at a loss. I know that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter ALL that much, but god damnit I've been using it since Win XP damnit and I like it dagnabit. :corsair:

:argh: Creators Update :argh:
\
:ninja: I'd rollback but I was moronic and didn't think to backup before the update.
:negative:

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 23, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Today I got a new one: hit the keyboard to wake the PC and get the lock screen, lock screen background appears and... that's it. No text or icons, no password entry field, hitting some more keys and clicking does nothing, wave the mouse and I can see the cursor move so it's not hard-locked. Try Ctrl-Alt-Del and the password field shows up and everything's back to normal. I can see the average home user being completely stumped and being forced to hit the power button by this though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

isndl posted:

Today I got a new one: hit the keyboard to wake the PC and get the lock screen, lock screen background appears and... that's it. No text or icons, no password entry field, hitting some more keys and clicking does nothing, wave the mouse and I can see the cursor move so it's not hard-locked. Try Ctrl-Alt-Del and the password field shows up and everything's back to normal. I can see the average home user being completely stumped and being forced to hit the power button by this though.

I have had a ton of weird issues with the lock screen ignoring input or hanging.

The problem with my tablet waking up to a black screen with nothing to do seems to have been solved. I sometimes get a slightly different problem with it just hanging and not taking touch input, but pressing the hardware home button a bunch of times in quick succession, it usually recovers. It used to be much worse and I had to use a physical keyboard to CAD it back to life.
On my laptop (running a preview) I also occasionally get lock screen lockups, where the only way to recover is to CAD some 10-20 times. I can't reproduce it reliably.
My desktop doesn't seem to have any problems, it just always takes 5 seconds from waking up from hibernate until it actually accepts input. And my HTPC is never locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Robzilla posted:

So I use a small program called DeskView

Anyone using DeskView to make their desktop items appear as if they're in "details" view?

Have you considered that it might be the fault of this DeskView program?