Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you think anyone would be discussing it if Alien: Covenant wasn't just released and/or because it's tied to the Alien series?

Uhhh yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think you'll be getting any of that discussion for any film in this series with this thread dying out unless it's another SMG post. I'll leave it at that though.

You are dead.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

s.i.r.e. posted:

On the SomethingAwful Forums? Do you remember what most of the posts were around the time of Prometheus' release or hell even A:C? Most were quick, "Film sucked/owned" posts. I don't think you'll be getting any of that discussion for any film in this series with this thread dying out unless it's another SMG post. I'll leave it at that though.

Yes, in fact, I do remember. Primary themes were "what is the black goo" and "why are these scientists acting in this way, I don't understand."

Now that people do understand, suddenly it's "predictable" or "boring" or "lazy" or whatever. But what's going on here is simply that the critic wants to be able to continue complaining irrespective of the content or substance of the complaint.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw98ARXfcqk

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

A New Hope is more than just pretty good. Selling that crazy world while constantly being engaging and moving forward, without ever laboring through the exposition because they sell so much through that fantastic production design, is legitimately a feat. The others vary from fine to pretty good, but the first is a great film.

It's really impressive watching Star Wars now and noticing how propulsive it is. Like you said, there's almost no exposition whatsoever until maybe the quick war room scene before the Death Star attack, and that's basically the end of the film. More sci-fi/fantasy films need to look back at the editing and pacing of the first movie and stop front-loading the worldbuilding.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think that's the thing, I don't think ESB is so good it can't even be compared to other films. It's not really that precious.

Yeah. I haven't rewatched them in years and still haven't seen the new ones. Apart from Jedi which about half sucks I think they are all pretty good. ANH is the best one by a fair shot.

Sir Kodiak posted:

A New Hope is more than just pretty good. Selling that crazy world while constantly being engaging and moving forward, without ever laboring through the exposition because they sell so much through that fantastic production design, is legitimately a feat. The others vary from fine to pretty good, but the first is a great film.

I could be persuaded to agree, probably.

K. Waste posted:

I think that shot works better as a repetition of the motif running throughout Scott's alien films, which is of the particular fear of suffocation - the facehugger; Ash with the rolled up magazine; and now the visceral image of Fifield's helmet melting onto his face, simultaneously burning him horrifically but also forming over his mouth; and also the scene of David trying to calm the Neomorph, whose mouth is more of an aperture or anal-like orifice. This is why the criticism of the film's 'mundane' explanation of the aliens' origins are misguided. It looks past the straightforward progression in the use of this stock character to explore the common themes of the films in more nuanced ways. In Alien: Covenant, you are presented with the scenario that the xenomorph is just a scared infant, like It's Alive. The Neomorph is characterized as suffocating.

Try counting scenes with audible breathing or someone trying not to breathe loudly. The perils of breathing has gone on to become a horror and monster movie cliche

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah. I haven't rewatched them in years and still haven't seen the new ones. Apart from Jedi which about half sucks I think they are all pretty good. ANH is the best one by a fair shot.

Jedi has its moments but for the most part it sucks.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just watched A:C and given the complete knuckleheads that David has had to deal with twice in a row now, it makes alot of sense why he decided to make a new species to wipe them out.

I didn't really mind Prometheus, but as soon as the Covenant space shuttle landed in New Zealand I knew it was gonna be bad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Abner Assington posted:

Today I watched Alien: Covenant and it was aggressively mediocre, despite some really cool and interesting design.

Sort of how I am with it right now. But Prometheus didn't exactly blow my skirt up on the first viewing and now I appreciate it quite a bit more after subsequent viewings. Not sure Covenant will be the same. Guess time will tell and different strokes for different folks.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

LesterGroans posted:

It's really impressive watching Star Wars now and noticing how propulsive it is. Like you said, there's almost no exposition whatsoever until maybe the quick war room scene before the Death Star attack, and that's basically the end of the film. More sci-fi/fantasy films need to look back at the editing and pacing of the first movie and stop front-loading the worldbuilding.

Brother, uh, there is some exposition at the beginning of Star Wars...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

Brother, uh, there is some exposition at the beginning of Star Wars...

The text crawl/opening exposition monologue has fallen out of fashion in modern film but I wish more sci-fi films used it. It's a great way to lay a foundation and then allow the audience to drop right into the story without having to spend precious time on establishing the basics. Right away we know there's an Empire, and a Rebellion fighting them. Some movies use like 15 minutes just to go over that kind of extremely basic information.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Basebf555 posted:

The text crawl/opening exposition monologue has fallen out of fashion in modern film but I wish more sci-fi films used it. It's a great way to lay a foundation and then allow the audience to drop right into the story without having to spend precious time on establishing the basics. Right away we know there's an Empire, and a Rebellion fighting them. Some movies use like 15 minutes just to go over that kind of extremely basic information.

I assume it's because there is no longer any trustworthy authority anywhere, but yeah it's certainly preferable to characters saying things they already know to each other.

My preference is just confusion and ambiguity though (I'm trying to think of a reasonably big budget sci fi movie that operated that way. Uh 2001: A Space Odyssey?)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

My preference is just confusion and ambiguity though (I'm trying to think of a reasonably big budget sci fi movie that operated that way. Uh 2001: A Space Odyssey?)

I guess 2001 kinda has it both ways, because there is a very clear and unambiguous briefing about the monolith, but that comes like 30 minutes in, and even then the Jupiter mission is still very confusing and mysterious until you get that last missing piece right before the end.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUi_MxFdtc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Whelp.

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-2-status-fox-ridley-scott/

Expect an Aliens vs. Fantastic Four crossover film announcement any week now.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
a movie written by Josh Trank and directed by Ridley Scott sounds good

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They're "reassessing" the franchise while also making a big Comicon push this weekend?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, they can't not sell those Blu Rays

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

They're "reassessing" the franchise while also making a big Comicon push this weekend?

There is literally no way in hell that Fox will outright drop the Alien franchise. It's one of their most consistent moneymakers, even counting AVP Requiem and Covenant, and one of the few money-making IPs they outright own.

We might not get Ridley Scott's Covenant sequels, but we will get more Alien movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Come on never AVP movie or Neill Blomkamp Alien. The series needs to embrace what it does best, action schlock.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Come on never AVP movie or Neill Blomkamp Alien. The series needs to embrace what it does best, action schlock.

It really doesn't do action schlock very well and never has. The only time that's ever been successful is when Cameron was involved. It was a one-off lightning in a bottle situation.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Whelp.

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-2-status-fox-ridley-scott/

Expect an Aliens vs. Fantastic Four crossover film announcement any week now.

Covenant suffered diminishing returns at the box office due to it opening alongside massive PG-13 tentpoles at the beginning of blockbuster season. It should have opened in August as originally planned. There's a reason Annabelle: Creation and Blade Runner 2049 — both R-rated flicks — avoided the summer lineup. Fox just got greedy.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Maybe if it was a better film it would have done better

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Despera posted:

Maybe if it was a better film it would have done better

Movies don't bomb because of quality- they bomb because of fickle public interests and a failure of advertisers to manufacture desire. There is nothing natural about economic success, bad and mediocre films do gangbusters all the time

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Pretty sure people weren't gonna fall for the same false advertising again and just ignored the movie. Prometheus trailers made it look really actiony and then you end up with a talking drama. They showed them running around with guns hunting the alien for covenant and it doesn't happen till the last 10m and they never even use guns to fight it.

Maybe if Ridley would be honest with the trailers and just show David playing the flute and kissing himself people would of gone to seen this movie about aliens.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tenzarin posted:

Pretty sure people weren't gonna fall for the same false advertising again and just ignored the movie. Prometheus trailers made it look really actiony and then you end up with a talking drama. They showed them running around with guns hunting the alien for covenant and it doesn't happen till the last 10m and they never even use guns to fight it.

Maybe if Ridley would be honest with the trailers and just show David playing the flute and kissing himself people would of gone to seen this movie about aliens.

Nah, go check the Prometheus trailers again - 90% of it is just people ominously walking around in scary sci-fi places or David intoning about "big things have small beginnings" and the like, built around the screeching sting from the '79 Alien trailer. It was very honestly advertised as a slow-burn horror film.

Similarly, the vast majority of the Covenant trailers concerns material that takes place on the planet in the first act of the film. There are some stings from the climax, but there is no 'dishonest' advertising going on, unless we're talking about this hypothetical person who literally thinks that seeing half a second of a monster growling is an indicator of the overall picture of a two hour film. The only people who are confused in this manner are alien fanboys. The vast majority of audiences don't give a poo poo. The vast majority of people in general already consider themselves above the 'manipulation' of advertisement. They get that trailers are not representative of a film experience, that they are just commercials with quick snapshots of 'the good bits.'

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

K. Waste posted:

but there is no 'dishonest' advertising going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LJSuO4aXA Name of it is so ironic to what happens in the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'M BURNING UP.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LJSuO4aXA Name of it is so ironic to what happens in the movie.

Did she not get guns to fight an Alien on the spaceship?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

K. Waste posted:

Nah, go check the Prometheus trailers again - 90% of it is just people ominously walking around in scary sci-fi places or David intoning about "big things have small beginnings" and the like, built around the screeching sting from the '79 Alien trailer. It was very honestly advertised as a slow-burn horror film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPlqEcfyhg

hmm yes, very slow

e: the preview is an exploding spaceship ffs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That happens in the movie

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Shaw and Vickers racing to get away from that drat spaceship is sooooo good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tenzarin posted:

Not a single one of those shots are in the actual movie. None of those events ever even happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm surprised no one's posted the TV spot with the techno soundtrack that makes it look like a pure action flick starring Idris Elba.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Unoriginal Name posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPlqEcfyhg

hmm yes, very slow

e: the preview is an exploding spaceship ffs

I didn't write that the trailer was slow. And, yes, that does not in any way make the film look "really actiony." It looks like a trailer, with a lot of punchy visuals, but most of which are still just people poncing around looking at scary things. It is not a "dishonest" representation of a two hour film. It's just a one minute teaser, but it even manages to give you a very accurate portrait of the film's structure.

Tenzarin posted:

The vast majority of people don't subscribe to 20th Century Fox's official youtube channel, nor do they go out of their way to investigate teasers for movies that, implicitly, they had very little interest in seeing in the first place. It is neither a theatrical trailer nor TV spot, if it played before another YT video, you're probably going to skip it because it's an ad.

More to the point, the question of whether this constitutes "dishonest" advertisement: What occurs in this ad more or less happens in the film. As CP points out, you have absolutely not been mislead about any essential details. Daniels is mostly a loner, at some point she and the remaining crew are caught off guard by the alien, and scary things happen/they try to find and kill it. It is not dishonest to use footage or musical beats that are maybe not in the actual film in order to manufacture desire for elements which absolutely do take place in the film.

Nobody is going to watch this teaser and then say, "Ah, but I remember when Prometheus, the two-hour movie, wasn't precisely as kinetic as the two-minute trailers! How do I know Ridley Scott/Fox aren't manipulating me again?" It has nothing to do with why the film bombed. The film bombed because no one gave a poo poo. They have other things they could be doing, or properties they have more deliberate interest in.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To the extent that people thought Prometheus' advertising was dishonest I think it was more that they were expecting more a Prequel to Alien, and it is that but the Alien is not that key to it at all (and doesn't really show up beyond the proto-thing we see at the very end.) ISTR that was the biggest complaint next to "she zigged when she should have zagged"-type analysis.

Covenant I don't see how you get dishonest at all. Pretty much advertised what the movie was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Covok posted:

Not a single one of those shots are in the actual movie. None of those events ever even happen.

Because it's a short film directed by Luke Scott.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

K. Waste posted:

It is not dishonest to use footage or musical beats that are maybe not in the actual film in order to manufacture desire for elements which absolutely do take place in the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os6raCCmAFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U71P5FKFqfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSe6tvfedb0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One of those is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

One of those is real.

Yeah, Mrs. Doubtfire is loving terrifying.

edit: actually, I'm scared of most Robin Williams movies.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 22, 2017