Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't know what people find so bad about "We Built This City"

I believe it's largely down to the contrast between the lyrics being all about this grand rock and roll rebellion against the power of the corporations ruining music, but musically it's about as "corporate rock" as it's possible to get. It comes off as disingenuous to music critics, who seem to care about that sort of thing.

I don't like the song but it's hardly peculiarly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe it's largely down to the contrast between the lyrics being all about this grand rock and roll rebellion against the power of the corporations ruining music, but musically it's about as "corporate rock" as it's possible to get. It comes off as disingenuous to music critics, who seem to care about that sort of thing.

I don't like the song but it's hardly peculiarly bad.

The problem is that it's at the very bottom of the barrel boring-bad without being charming enough to wrap around to being enjoyable like MacArthur Park or Crimson King. It's souless endlessly replayed dumb music like Cherry Pie or Achey-Breaky Heart where you just change the station whenever it comes on

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

also any structural engineer will tell you that the lyrics are so misleading as to be offensive

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People also used to love Jefferson Airplane

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like Ed Sheeran's music, and enjoyed his cameo in Game of Thrones.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like Ed Sheeran's music, and enjoyed his cameo in Game of Thrones.

I'm one of those people who genuinely had no idea who this guy was and am baffled to discover that I'm apparently supposed to know all about him, of course I know who he is and I'm a liar pretending to be too cool otherwise. This happened to me before when I didn't know who One Direction was.
I don't... that's just not the kind of music I pay attention to and people need to chill out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Same. I still haven't googled him out of spite. I'm told he also drove on Top Gear one episode, but I have never watched the Star in a Reasonably Priced car segment of that show because it's stupid and boring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's souless endlessly replayed dumb music like Cherry Pie or Achey-Breaky Heart where you just change the station sing along whenever it comes on

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I like mayo more than ketchup

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I got recommended his music because someone said I sounded like him, but I looked it up and all his songs are super offensive Nice Guy bullshit so :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ishikabibble posted:

I got recommended his music because someone said I sounded like him, but I looked it up and all his songs are super offensive Nice Guy bullshit so :shrug:

wtf Ed Sheeran songs are you listening to?

like I get how the credit song from the second Hobbit movie would make you think that, but cmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ibBPhiaG0

IMPHUO if that song doesn't make you miss being a dumbass kid, you aren't human.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sounds like the male version of Carly Rae Jepson

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

wtf Ed Sheeran songs are you listening to?

like I get how the credit song from the second Hobbit movie would make you think that, but cmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ibBPhiaG0

IMPHUO if that song doesn't make you miss being a dumbass kid, you aren't human.

The lyrics remind me of being a dumb teenager, but the music sure doesn't so it doesn't hit any real connection for me. But I grew up with a weird mix of Industrial, punk, and metal so my musical taste is really messed up.

And now I've heard an Ed Sheeran song! I can finally join the modern age.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ed Sheeran covering Trap Queen on the Tonight Show is what really turned me against him even though I would normally just ignore his music. The Roots looked loving depressed to be there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Unpopular opinion: they only put ed sheeran in that episode because they knew there was nothing else in it to keep people talking about the boring dead show that is the game of thrones.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being fat has a lot to do with hosed up brain chemistry and addiction, and should be treated as a disease, rather than something you "will" yourself out of.

There has never been a single case of "willing" yourself out of a situation, where bootstraps were the proper answer.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Unpopular opinion: they only put ed sheeran in that episode because they knew there was nothing else in it to keep people talking about the boring dead show that is the game of thrones.

Boring dead show that is destroying HBO ratings records.

May not cover the "boring" part but it's definitely not dead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

My unpopular opinion involves ignoring the popular opinion of considering "facts".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Joey Freshwater posted:

Guess what else broke ratings record

That's right, Hitler's Nuremberg Rallies

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

can't wait to see jamie foxx in their upcoming show

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I'm one of those people who genuinely had no idea who this guy was and am baffled to discover that I'm apparently supposed to know all about him, of course I know who he is and I'm a liar pretending to be too cool otherwise. This happened to me before when I didn't know who One Direction was.
I don't... that's just not the kind of music I pay attention to and people need to chill out.

Aside from the baby baby song I don't recognize any Justin Bieber songs and everyone thinks I'm lying. I guess it'd be the same for one direction. I don't hate them they just don't really register and I'm not sure how I'd be hearing these songs and knowing who did them since I don't listen to radio stations that feature them or watch tv or commercials they might be on

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

I've been talking all week about what is Euron going to get to be his gift to Cersei. Tyrion? Ellaria? A dragon? Fascinating stuff.

Also, never heard of Ed Sheeran before this cameo thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'll just come out and say it: The Tudors was a better show than Game of Thrones and they didn't have to include dragons or ghosts or whatever bullshit to be good.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If I had watched that show I'd say something other than, too bad they didn't have dragons, maybe I would've watched it. :D

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'll just come out and say it: The Tudors was a better show than Game of Thrones and they didn't have to include dragons or ghosts or whatever bullshit to be good.

GoT is good in spite of the cgi dragons, not because of.

Khaleesi is a terrible actress and by far the most uninspiring character, but I'm rooting for her by default bc they killed off my team, the Tyrells

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think GoT is worse for having them. Ask the fantasy elements are basically in one episode a season and are ignored or barely mentioned the rest of the time. Next season might be the first time they're the focus.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think GoT is worse for having them. Ask the fantasy elements are basically in one episode a season and are ignored or barely mentioned the rest of the time. Next season might be the first time they're the focus.

That's not true, especially anymore. Right now the focus is on resurrected Jesus analog Jon Snow trying to fight ice demons.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm often confused by complaints about GoT. It's not the world's best done anything but the books it's based on are well thought out and pretty good overall and the show is competently put together and well paced (except season 5, season 5 is actively disappointing).

I think it's one of those things where you might only kinda dislike <thing> and move on except <thing> happens to be popular so you despise it with a frothing hatred instead of just not really being a fan.

On that topic: I loving hate harry potter (the books, the movies are average and inoffensive) and JK rowling is a loving hack.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GoT is pretty good and there hasn't been a show with that kind of scope ever and we probably won't have it again for a long time. They film in like 4 countries with a huge cast where most of them haven't ever met each other. I doubt any creative team could do it better than the ones doing it right now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Agent355 posted:

I'm often confused by complaints about GoT. It's not the world's best done anything but the books it's based on are well thought out and pretty good overall and the show is competently put together and well paced (except season 5, season 5 is actively disappointing).

I think it's one of those things where you might only kinda dislike <thing> and move on except <thing> happens to be popular so you despise it with a frothing hatred instead of just not really being a fan.

On that topic: I loving hate harry potter (the books, the movies are average and inoffensive) and JK rowling is a loving hack.

I dislike it because I have a very short attention span and GOT has way too many characters. Whenever I see spoilers, unless it's one of the top 5 major characters I'm just like "who?".

also harry potter is good but the cursed child ruined whatever credibility JK rowling had. Also the "dumbledore is gay" thing was such a blatant publicity stunt and cements my view that authors should not be able to expand or "explain" on things they wrote unless it's in the form of a new novel.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

JK rowling put out another novel series, detectives I think, under a pen name and nobody bought it. It was critically panned and sold incredibly few units, then she came out and said 'it was I, dio, all along' and all of a sudden it was critically acclaimed and people bought it.

She is a bad writer and Harry Potter was never well written. She got lucky.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Game of Thrones is a mediocre fantasy series with "actually everybody back in dragon times was filthy and stabbed" as a gimmick, nothing more. The show elevates it purely by the big HBO budget.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Game of Thrones is a fun show for me to watch with my dad and best friend and I don't really think about it much beyond that. The biggest criticism I had for a while is that too many of the character archetypes are similar and I would get confused as to who was who sometimes but they've killed off a bunch of them

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Agent355 posted:

JK rowling put out another novel series, detectives I think, under a pen name and nobody bought it. It was critically panned and sold incredibly few units, then she came out and said 'it was I, dio, all along' and all of a sudden it was critically acclaimed and people bought it.

She is a bad writer and Harry Potter was never well written. She got lucky.

I wouldn't say Harry Potter was badly written, it just lent itself incredibly well to fan fiction and folks taking it a step further. There are a ton of holes in the plot, the characters do really stupid things a lot of the time in the books, and the magic makes no sense in that universe.

But.

It was accessible. It was novel. It appealed to a certain demographic. Like most things in life, its more about timing than it is about pure talent.

Same for Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray, objectively badly written books, way way worse written than Harry Potter. But, they struck a chord and had good marketing, so we know what they are.

As for GoT, the show is really well done, but honestly the books are far, far, far, far better.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Game of Thrones is a mediocre fantasy series with "actually everybody back in dragon times was filthy and stabbed" as a gimmick, nothing more. The show elevates it purely by the big HBO budget.

What's a good fantasy series?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doverhog posted:

9 Princes in Amber and Wizard of Earthsea

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Orange is the New Black gets rightfully poo poo on a lot now but one thing it does really well is that all of the characters are distinct and fleshed out enough that I know their names and the basic jist of who they are even if they haven't been in a few episodes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Narnia is also really solid. It's a kid's series and obviously Christian as gently caress, but they're solid kid's books.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

Dragonlance of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Orange is the New Black gets rightfully poo poo on a lot now but one thing it does really well is that all of the characters are distinct and fleshed out enough that I know their names and the basic jist of who they are even if they haven't been in a few episodes

They've reached the breaking point with that though. Even reviewers are losing track of some of the characters who were introduced when the prison expanded. Thankfully the way season 5 ended seems to be fixing that.