Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wtf Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Novasol posted:

I guess what I'm asking for is this:
1) What would you do when confronted with this scenario and needing to come up with a completion criteria for this game?
2) Does ANYONE know some sort of strategy for this game?

In general, for sports games, I guess do a championship or a season. If there are none, then come up with some other criteria, like 5 or 10 tournaments. Or play as each player or beat each opponent if they are specific characters you can choose to play against.

univbee posted:

So now that I have some sort of a CRT setup I have to ask, has anyone investigated how much of a difference there is in output latency between the analog video and HDMI outs on the consoles where that's a thing (360, PS3, Wii U)?

Unless your HDTV is really laggy, just go with that. I've remember hooking up a 360 to a crt back in the day. It worked but wasn't great, haven't noticed additional lag on HDtv's and timing games like guitar hero had lag adjustment settings. Also, there were issues with playing some games on CRT tv's back then with text not being readable. I have a HDMI to composite adapter that I play around with to put newer consoles on my Trinitron, good luck reading text. PS/GC/XBox and older I keep on my CRT, the rest go on my Hdtv. Some people put their OG Xbox on their newer tv's since all games were 480p and went up to 720, but eh. I played it on CRT back in the day so that is what I do now.

Rirse posted:

What the best method of playing PS1 games on a CRT I should choose? I got two old PS1 (original launch and PSOne) but guess they don't take component. I have a PS2 Slim but it doesn't seem to take discs anymore last time I checked a month ago. I had a PS3, but heard it only plays in 480i so it doesn't look hot on a CRT. And I don't have any of the PSP, which I heard is probably the best option to play them these days but heard you need a Go to use a dual shock 3/4 else I have to use the system as a controller. I had a PSP Go last year and did like it, but the screen died on me and I sold it off to a goon.

I use Svideo and am fine with it. i have used RGB on a PVM when I had one, and it was marginally better. RGB to component adapter may give better results. Or just play on your PS2 using component. However, the CRT I had back in 2006 had a component input, however, it didn't take 240p signals for some reason, so I had issues with PS1 games and had to swap to a Svideo cable when I used it for PS1 games. However, I think that was the exception and not the norm, plus it was a cheap Best Buy brand TV, an Insignia I believe but it looked great other than that issue and I wish I kept it. I don't have issues on my current Trinitron, but I still use a PSOne instead of my PS2 to save wear and tear on my PS2.

falz posted:

Also, PS2 svideo cables work fine on PS1, at least the original model. You can still get official sony ones new for < tenbux.

https://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Official-S-Video-Scph-10480-Higher-Clarity/dp/B00N3TXB1U

I use an official Sony PS3 s-video cable with my PSone. It works fine, its all the same as long as it isn't a cheap cable the just outputs composite over s-video. Spend the extra money to get a known good s-video cable that actually outputs s-video signal and not composite.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 22, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

So Yoshi is a "horse"? Screw that mess. The movie said he was a dinosaur... so that is what i am going with.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I know the Japanese PS1 at launch had an s video port but I could have bet my life that my launch one had it too. There's no way this is the case, right? I mean it was 1995 and I didn't really get into s video until 1999 but I would have bet anything my US launch one had it.

It only has composite, and rca audio ports, in addition to the regular ps1 multi-out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

univbee posted:

FINALLY someone in my area threw out a CRT TV.

It only has RF input. :negative:

Speaking of TVs, I just donated a bunch of CRTs to the local retro game store if anyone in Houston is looking for one. He's just giving them away to people he deems worthy. ie, won't got sell them immediately

Most were 25" Zeniths with RCA composite only, but there's a few 19" and 13" Trinitrons. The larger ones are still composite, but the small sets are the tiny WEGAs and have component.

edit, PM me if you want info

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 22, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That's Leon on Twitter goofing around.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
On the whole PS1 games on PS2, I have component cables for my PS2 on a CRT. Would that give the same output as a PS1 modded for RGB? Or am I just better to use my S-Video cables?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GutBomb posted:

Does the ps2 upscale or process ps1 games? I'd rather use the original console on a CRT if it does.

PS2s include PS1 hardware inside them so its pretty much identical. Like Fishmech said you can turn on filtering but you can turn it off. PS2 is the way to play PS1 games these days.

That said, on a CRT I'm not sure it would matter much. More noticeable on LCDs.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

On the whole PS1 games on PS2, I have component cables for my PS2 on a CRT. Would that give the same output as a PS1 modded for RGB? Or am I just better to use my S-Video cables?

Component looks a little different/"worse" than RGB but they're roughly equivalent and better than S-Video

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Krazy Koopa Kritters

:eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
RF-Coax<<Composite<<<<<<<<<<<S-Video<<<<<Component<<RGB

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How you use the settings for Low Latency mode for the Gameboy Interface with options like zoom and changing the wallpaper from the old Gameboy Player software? I know how to do that on the regular Gameboy Interface software, but there no option in game or on Swiss even through the webpage for GBI mentions Low Latency having a zoom option.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pastry of the Year posted:

That's Leon on Twitter goofing around.

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/888081395536596992

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao that is beautiful

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

RF-Coax<<Composite<<<<<<<<<<<S-Video<<<<<Component & RGB

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

RF-Coax<<Composite<<<<<<<<<<<S-Video<<<<<Component & RGB

There's arguments to be made that RGB's color space / reproduction is better and when you look at the results it seems valid to me. YPbPr isn't the same thing.

Probably should have gone with one < instead of two though. I think there's also arguments that component is slightly sharper but it doesn't seem that big a deal.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I haven't checked if this has already been posted yet but SNES mini pre-orders are up on Wal-Mart. Sorry if y'all already know but I wanted to post this as fast as possible.

Edit: They're gone

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 22, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

worthless. posted:

I haven't checked if this has already been posted yet but SNES mini pre-orders are up on Wal-Mart. Sorry if y'all already know but I wanted to post this as fast as possible.

Luckily I was able to grab one shipped and one for in-store pickup. Had a friend who is interested in it. If they change their mind, I'll share the luck with a fellow goon at cost. I already grabbed a pre-order of the European edition from a French website since those look great.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

FireMrshlBill posted:

Luckily I was able to grab one shipped and one for in-store pickup. Had a friend who is interested in it. If they change their mind, I'll share the luck with a fellow goon at cost. I already grabbed a pre-order of the European edition from a French website since those look great.

I snagged one too. I think it's the fastest I've ever created an account for a website.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

worthless. posted:

I snagged one too. I think it's the fastest I've ever created an account for a website.

Ha, I apparently had an account, so luckily their password reset function sent the email in about 10 seconds. If it took more than a minute I was going to use a different email to create an account. Even then I had only used it to ship something to my sister, so I had input all of my info and an updated credit card. Was a scary 2 minutes, but then the pre-order lasted another 25 minutes after that, haha.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

worthless. posted:

I not only had to reset my password, but then I realized OH poo poo my wallet is out in my car and I don't have a credit card entered in on my account. ZOOOM 500mph there and back ZIP POW I'm in action with 2. I feel like such a dweeb but drat that poo poo was crazy for a few moments :D

I admit I was caught the hell off guard.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So glad I had my credit card on file from buying that Marvel Legend exclusive from them last month. Password didn't work but at least it only took a minute to fix that issue.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I was actually playing videogames when it dropped if you can believe that, so I would have totally missed it if my coworker hadn't texted me. I owe him a debt I'll never be able to repay. (a beer)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hopefully Nintendo offers it through their US store like they did with the UK store.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

al-azad posted:

Hopefully Nintendo offers it through their US store like they did with the UK store.

They won't. Nintendo never learns.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Considering that until very recently Nintendo US's online store was entirely for spare parts and refurbished or overstocked consoles, I wouldn't count on it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just wait when they get to making a N64 mini. There will be plenty to go around for everyone who actually has N64 nostalgia and the rest will be shipped to a landfall in New Mexico.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TeaJay posted:

Just wait when they get to making a N64 mini. There will be plenty to go around for everyone who actually has N64 nostalgia and the rest will be shipped to a landfall in New Mexico.

The iQue already exists, though... :v:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd say a few more << between RF and composite, a few less between svideo and component.

I guess the main thing is gently caress anything below svideo, it at bare minimum is great.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The iQue already exists, though... :v:

What about the wacky Lodgenet N64 controllers that hooked up to hotel TV's? Where they charged something stupid like $5 for 2 hours access to a game.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ProjektorBoy posted:

What about the wacky Lodgenet N64 controllers that hooked up to hotel TV's? Where they charged something stupid like $5 for 2 hours access to a game.

I'll say one thing about those LodgeNet games...the sticks on those hotel controllers always seemed great (when I'd use my imagination because my parents weren't about to pay $45 to play Mario 64 I had at home anyway)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'll say one thing about those LodgeNet games...the sticks on those hotel controllers always seemed great (when I'd use my imagination because my parents weren't about to pay $45 to play Mario 64 I had at home anyway)

That's because they were never used.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
what if they are industrial standard because Nintendo didn't want to have to keep servicing them and the secret to a good 3d stick is inside its plastic shell only a triwing screwdriver away?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
IIRC there's a guy selling a billion of them on ebay, so buy one and find out! I just searched and cant find it, maybe it was somewhere else like some subreddit?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/2017/07/22/distant-calling/

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
How do I just preorder the Starfox 2 ROM?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just wait for someone to make repro carts for it, although I could see that being the thing which gets Nintendo to start doing something about repros.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheRedEye posted:

How do I just preorder the Starfox 2 ROM?

Very carefully

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I bet you'll see Starfox 2 show up on 3DS VC eventually. Then again, Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

shyduck posted:

I bet you'll see Starfox 2 show up on 3DS VC eventually. Then again, Nintendo.

Didn't they make the re-release of Four Swords with online play a limited window release?

You can't bet on Nintendo, you'll lose every time.

• Locked thread