Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Right, so if the Canadians will play ball (even if only just to let us refuel on our way through), that gives us options. For one thing, we can get the Saab to Inuvik by going around Alaska, and then hop over to Alert (assuming that it can handle a gravel runway), and that should get us over to Norway/Europe. Failing that, it could fly overland and hop over the Atlantic via the Azores.

So we can get everything out, if Canada is willing to help us.

Edit: Hell, the IAEA has a friggin' 'Regional Safeguard Office' (whatever that is) in Toronto already! They've also got one in Tokyo, but for obvious reasons I don't think that's a viable exit route.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: Hell, the IAEA has a friggin' 'Regional Safeguard Office' (whatever that is) in Toronto already! They've also got one in Tokyo, but for obvious reasons I don't think that's a viable exit route.

Mind you that the Japanese government is not necessarily a Japanese corp. We;re not full Shadowrun yet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dance Officer posted:

Mind you that the Japanese government is not necessarily a Japanese corp. We;re not full Shadowrun yet.

Yeah, but it's still Mitsu's backyard. I think running away from them is still the right call.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but it's still Mitsu's backyard. I think running away from them is still the right call.

Next time out, we really need to consider our exit routes when choosing theater and contract.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Don't they still have half a dozen floating cash cows processing fish? Can we put the fear of God in to them in any way?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

IF they (or SMARF) make an aggressive move first, that would be a rather nice parting gift. poo poo, I've been pushing for blowing up Mitsu's poo poo and leaving since, like, the theater started. We need to be careful that we don't build a reputation for blowing up our employers' things unprovoked, though.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
TBH, as far as Mitsuhashi's other assets go, i'm all for sending a copy of the Nuke Intel to whoever's COing Peter And Company on our way out and let THEM handle the seizure/destruction of all of Mitsu's poo poo currently in theatre . Theres a whooolllleeee lot of Kamchatka/Sakhalin/Other Russia before they can reach Japan, after all. Hitting them ourselves means having to deal with the multiple Crotale/HAWK-grade SAMs they have covering their stuff, and that'll probably take a bit more effort that we can really afford to put in as we're leaving.

That said, i wouldn't be opposed to having a contingency plan to have 8 Storm Shadows from 4 Tornados ready to sneak around a bit and smack SMARF's airfield around from the west, since that particular SAM is a fair bit to the east. That'd be enough to hit all of their hangers/tarmac and inflict grevious pain on them, in the right circumstances.

Nick Esasky fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 19, 2017

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
After some constructive criticism, I've amended yesterdays posts. :ohdear:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jack managed to snap us a pic of the headline before it even hit the presses. I'll fill you guys in on the details below.

To prevent politics from seeping into our LP, Ted Nugent is now known as Ned Tugent. Ned is the lead of a cover band known as "Cat's Scratching the Fever". He's had 12 plastic surgeries to make himself look like his idol. Research shows his name was original Ervil Mervil.

The bombshell. Russia, surprising no one but the US Government, has stepped in and claimed St. Lawrence Island. They found some Romanov descendant in Monaco, gave him a ministry title, and he's claiming that Seward tricked his great-great-grand-whatever. Yah, like back in 1867. They've topped up stores, picked up troops from Vladivostok and are headed our way. What there exact intentions are in regards to us, well, we've had a contact.

I don't even know what Snapchat is, Zack told me to get on as he had someone contact him about reaching us.

The US Administration is stuck in a budgetary retard zone. The Ayn Rand caucus is claiming Alaska, with the drop in oil prices, is a net loss for the US and isn't worth the effort. They claim that any tax increase is illegal, and without the taxes, the military can't fight that war. So hence, no war, no taxes, no problems. Ned Tugent's "Metal Mulisha" is attracting a hefty following, but they have to pay there own way North so I'm, not sure if it's an issue or not. Yet.

Mitsuhashi Corporate has reigned in the Hasegawa clan. Whatever buyout that was going to happen has stopped. Unfortunately our bonus hasn't been paid yet. SMARF is still on retainer and was bragging on the news that they still got a bonus. Read that how you will, but I don't like where this is going. It was hinted in a Kanban meeting that our assets might better serve Mitsuhashi on St. Lawrence Island.

Admiral Halsey, Great Grandson of Bull Halsey, and COMPACFLT, is sending out remnants of the Pacific Fleet. This is likely not a carrier group, as it's in San Fran for refit, but subs out of Bremerton. He made his intentions quite clear, St. Lawrence Island is US territory and it's his duty to protect it regardless of what the retards in congress say. As the President hasn't commented on the matter, no one is sure where this is going. Halsey left the door open to let the President decide but with the election and all, we think he's going to watch this one unfold.

For us Hired Goons we have a decision.

1. Continue ops on St. Lawrence Island with the goal of retrieving the Nuke and denying it to the other parties. IAEA deal still stands. Possibly relocate to the island.
2. Get the gently caress out. Once we cut, we can pass through Alaskan airspace and into neutral Canada.
3. Reach out to other parties (Russia, US Navy, Ned Tugent or BSNC) and broker a deal.
4. ? Goonie McGoonFace ideas. ?

As work is still batshit crazy and looking even crazier the pace of the LP will slow, but should remain steady.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh man, loving Snapchat, this is great :allears:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4. Russia is invading our sacred national territory and we must make a sacrifice to reawaken the American war machine. We must secure the nuke and deploy it against these Russian invaders. Admiral Halsley can clean up the mess after we deploy the nuke and immediately pull back to Canada.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Not the worst idea.

I mean, probably pretty close to the worst idea, but not the worst.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Reach out to the Russians and see if they'll accept a mutual "don't fire unless fired upon" treaty. Tell them we're in search of Mitsu property but we won't oppose their claims and will vacate once we find it. Don't mention that said property is a nuke. Assuming they're okay with that, continue ops as normal. If they won't, get the gently caress out.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

4. Russia is invading our sacred national territory and we must make a sacrifice to reawaken the American war machine. We must secure the nuke and deploy it against these Russian invaders. Admiral Halsley can clean up the mess after we deploy the nuke and immediately pull back to Canada.

Maybe we'd be able to get a line on some of those Intruders and other ostensibly "we don't export this poo poo" airframes and materiel!

I'm holding off on voting till I've read enough conspiratorial shitposting weighed my options.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Finish job, get the gently caress out before this poo poo results in canned sunshine getting thrown at us.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

1. The only deal which actually has a firm payoff at the end of it right now

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1. We finish what we started. No matter how bad an idea it is.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
4. Get that nuke. Drop it on LA while false flagged as Russians and watch the mayhem unfold.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

To attempt to organize Option 4 ideas, please make a motion, and then others will stand by your motion. So we could have the "Nuke LA Faction" or the "Sell the Nuke to Russia Faction". This will keep things from turning into the 30 ideas and no one votes on any. If we get a decent amount of people standing behind an option then we'll make it an official "vote".

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well poo poo, the Nuke LA Faction's already got its hooks in me. Just for laughs.

More seriously, we should very studiously ignore everyone and everything, don't pick up the phone if it rings (especially if it's a US or Russian number on the caller ID), just dig up the sunshine and run like hell while the big boys start WWIII.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 23, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I check into a hospital for three weeks and this happens.

Edit: Serious post, I skipped to the last page to see if I could pick up easily and now it looks like...something really big and bad.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 23, 2017

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
i'm currently in favour of Continue The Campaign On St. Lawrence with a side of Talk To The Russians and figure out what their deal is.

We don't NEED to mention the nuke to the Ruskies unless they make it obvious in private that they know about it, but i'd sorta like to see if theres some things we could do for them to prevent the whole WW3 thing. Maybe also a gently caress Mitsuhashi escape hatch.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Russians' deal is probably the same thing it's been geopolitically for decades at this point: Being assholes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
1. Stay the course. After that, we escape through Alaska (Dutch Harbor - ANC - where ever).

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ned Tugent's secessionist Real American Republic of Alaska will be a glorious addition to the world stage.

A monster truck in every driveway, a moosehead over every fireplace, a firearm in every hand.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
1. We got to finish what we started! Though maybe we should keep a deal with either the russians or the US as a plan B.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What will our employers do if we find the nuke, and how quickly could we get it into IAEA or US hands?

Edit: And what would happen if we revealed that we were set-up to be backstabbed from the start?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
We don't have any way to pull Cobbie out if we decide to cut and run. The only way out for everybody is through. Besides, don't we want to go down in history as "the goons who stopped World War Three"? That'll pay our social checks for a long, long time. 1. Stay on target.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fingers crossed we wind up being Luke and not Porkins

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
1. Continue ops on St. Lawrence Island with the goal of retrieving the Nuke and denying it to the other parties. IAEA deal still stands. Possibly relocate to the island.

We finish what we start.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

1. Continue with the task at hand. Hopefully an opportunity will present itself where we can sink the Russian's little toy boat.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

1. Continue the operation.

We need to hand over that nuke to the IAEA. Otherwise we won't be able to offset our losses in the slightest.

I swear, after this we're finding a quiet job in Brazil or someplace. Anywhere that doesn't involve any corporations or whatever.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

We need to hand over that nuke to the IAEA. Otherwise we won't be able to offset our losses in the slightest.

I swear, after this we're finding a quiet job in Brazil or someplace. Anywhere that doesn't involve any corporations or whatever.

I would kindly point out that the payments we've already gotten for ops in this campaign amount to somewhere around 335 million dollars in our accounts. An extra 250 million/Euro Discounts from the IAEA would be really nice, but ATM we're still at a point where we can afford replacements for what we've lost, especially if we decide we don't particularly need to get replacements for the Tornados or Phantoms.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could say something like this to the IAEA rep:

"If we don't believe we can extract the device and deliver it to your location in Canada would you accept it being turned over to the United States? We recognize that this would result in a forfeiture of our agreement and that we would have to make concerted efforts on our part to achieve any reconciliation."

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

power crystals posted:

Reach out to the Russians and see if they'll accept a mutual "don't fire unless fired upon" treaty. Tell them we're in search of Mitsu property but we won't oppose their claims and will vacate once we find it. Don't mention that said property is a nuke. Assuming they're okay with that, continue ops as normal. If they won't, get the gently caress out.

THIS PLUS THE POST ABOVE MINE

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
1, with a side order of 'gently caress up the Russians where possible'

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
If we need to cheese it ASAP/ EVAC cobbie and the boys from the island and get our stuff out of Russia ASAP we should probably have some kind of contingency set up or in place. Is there any third party we can lease some logistics/transportation from? With three of our leased choppers down, we have to make sure we can get Cobbie out of St Lawrence and since we can only sit one Hawk and a Shilka on our transports (to say nothing of all the ammo and other personnel we have in Russia) we need some more transports to haul stuff.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Discord has spent multiple nights obsessing over evac plans. Basically, our best option is we can barely squeak over the pole to Longyearbyen/Svalbard and hope the Norwegians let us land. As to how much cargo we can take, once you add in some fudge factor for taking the ground crew and whatnot with us (no we can't leave the people behind), we can get the Pantsirs and one other vehicle-sized thing. A single Shilka, a single Hawk launcher, or the MEAT Locker.

Now that Canada is apparently an OK destination, the fuel math comes out much nicer and we can take munitions on our pylons instead of ferry loadouts, but if we're wildly bugging out it really doesn't change how much cargo we can take because the limiting factor there is volume, not weight/fuel.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 23, 2017

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

1. Keep On Keepin' On.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

1. We see this to the end. 'Till the world is dyed is our image.