Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

`Nemesis posted:

what the gently caress is this garbage

Some idiot posted this garbage on 4chan in ages past:

It was rightly mocked as complete nonsense, and expanded upon:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Ambaire posted:

I wonder... if they had the right lenses so the beam stayed the same diameter for a few hundred meters, could you cut steel apart at 100m (500m, 1km+ even maybe?) as easily as at the distances shown in the video? Although I suppose that's the basics behind the 747 mounted icbm killer laser... Fun stuff.

Unfortunately the optics wouldn't really work that way - roughly speaking, to double the distance from the laser to the focal point, you need to double the diameter of output aperture of the laser (or quadruple the power of the laser) to keep the same beam intensity. Something capable of cutting at 100m isn't likely to be man-portable.

MrYenko posted:

For what it's worth, most of the delays in the Takata recall are due to the replacement parts being essentially unobtanium. I'm not saying Honda didn't take a giant dump on your life through schedule fuckery, though.

After about two and a half years of Mazda sending me letters saying it was super important I take my car into my dealer right away to get my airbags repaired, and my dealer sending me letters that they didn't have the parts to do it yet, I finally got a call from the dealer that they could schedule the repair - the week after I traded the car in for something else.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zedprime posted:

If they haven't already they're going to have serial numbers they will conveniently note with your license plate to threaten vandalism or theft, that's not the point. The bar to meet for things like this is just to make it conspicuous enough to discourage most people.

The questionable property is that it doesn't do anything to make the car undrivable. The sort of person who'd rack up enough violations or park on private property also has a good chance of being at least slightly adept at driving around with your head out the window with practice from when their wipers were out or the month they spent with a spiderwebbed windshield or the jalopy they had as a kid where the hood didn't always latch right. So now they are encouraged to drive backroads to where it isn't conspicuous to pop the suction cups because the enforcers are too cheap for a boot or a tow.

I don't think it is a matter of being cheap. The thing has GPS and the ability to send an alarm if you try to tamper with it. The idea is convenience. They are light and easy for a scrawny parking enforcement officer to use.

Convenient for the offender too. If your care is towed you need to get a ride down to the impound lot to retrieve it. With a boot . . . I don't even know. Pay your ticket and they'll send a guy to unboot your car when they get around to it?

With this, if you have a smartphone and the funds to pay your ticket you can be back on the road getting on with your day in 10 minutes. You don't miss your next appointment, you don't have to go out of your way to the impound lot or the courthouse. At some point in the next 24 hours you'll have to go to a barnacle drop off point, but at least you'll be able to use your own car to get there.

If you're too poor to pay your ticket you're still hosed, but no more hosed than you were before. And they probably whip out the barnacle after one or a handful of tickets so you don't accumulate 20 of the things and owe an impossible amount. Which ultimately does help irresponsible idiots to not rack up life ruining debt.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Facebook Aunt posted:

Which ultimately does help irresponsible idiots to not rack up life ruining debt.

Irresponsible idiots are just going to try and drive with it, because it doesn't immobilise the vehicle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just drill a pair of tiny holes in your windshield to let some air in. problem solved

e: or, comedy option, just use the barnacle to pull your windshield out in a single piece and put it in your trunk. suction cups are how windshields are installed and removed already anyway

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GotLag posted:

Irresponsible idiots are just going to try and drive with it, because it doesn't immobilise the vehicle.

Yeah. :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hobnob posted:

After about two and a half years of Mazda sending me letters saying it was super important I take my car into my dealer right away to get my airbags repaired, and my dealer sending me letters that they didn't have the parts to do it yet, I finally got a call from the dealer that they could schedule the repair - the week after I traded the car in for something else.
I don't understand why you'd drive with 00 buck aimed at your face for 2 years instead of getting another wheel. No airbag beats one that'll kill you more often than not.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"You can get another wheel?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MisterOblivious posted:

You're one of the only people on the forums where I'd absolutely agree, no, insist, on drug testing every mouthbreething motherfucker who comes through your doors for qualification testing.

For those not familiar with chitoryu12's occupation: Lotta the times you see a "crane falling" video in this thread it's because one of those Old-Boys went cowboy and lifted something without calculating the load. His job is to test and certify those assholes so they don't do that. The ruling deadline requiring certification got pushed back to November of this year and if you haven't been paying attention to his relevant posts over the last few years you've been missing out.

We leave drug tests of crane operators in the hands of the employers. We do require that every candidate sign an ethics agreement stating that they won't take any drugs or drink in a way that impairs their ability to work, so we do maintain the right to revoke their certification if they violate that agreement. Practical examiners are also supposed to refuse to test anyone showing any signs of impairment, drug-caused or otherwise.

Most of the issues we get with crappy operators aren't really drug-related, though. For a long time the world of operating heavy machinery was much like it still is in third and second world countries: anyone who looks vaguely capable of operating the controls and whose friends or family would vouch for them could get behind the sticks. There are people out there who have been operating for 20 or 30 years and still can't read a load chart, just operating by feel and letting the riggers handle everything for them.

There's also lots of Spanish-speaking operators who bomb the exams pretty bad. We've statistically had awful pass rates on our Spanish exams, so I think a lot of them are coming from backgrounds with limited education and poor English comprehension. We're limited in just how much we can help them, like we can't translate our load charts into Spanish because they're the manufacturer load charts and it would be a copyright violation.

Also, fun fact: I don't think it's been publicly announced yet, but OSHA is wanting to delay the deadline to November 2018.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

MrYenko posted:

For what it's worth, most of the delays in the Takata recall are due to the replacement parts being essentially unobtanium. I'm not saying Honda didn't take a giant dump on your life through schedule fuckery, though.

Ideally Honda (and other companies) should never had sole-sourced a critical safety part. They should have made a document that would say:
  • Airbag igniter must fit these dimensions and be mounted this way
  • The car sends this kind of signal to tell the airbag to inflate and how fast
  • This chart shows how much gas needs to be produced how fast and at what pressure
And basically see if they can get more than one vendor to make the part to their specifications. Imagine if instead of the recall being like 100 million igniters it was 33 million and you had three manufacturers that could ramp up production to replace them, not just one...

Of course they can't just force other companies to make the part. And after Takata other companies might say "Hell, we saw what happened with Takata - it would be too risky for us to start making airbag inflators unless we can price the liability into the part."

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 22, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know the process intimately but the safety part could influence wanting to sole source it (besides Takata being dirt cheap). More suppliers means more FMEA variables and more QA.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't understand why you'd drive with 00 buck aimed at your face for 2 years instead of getting another wheel. No airbag beats one that'll kill you more often than not.

lol no.

~42 million recalled vehicles, 11 deaths, and ~180 injuries. Since 2013.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

i'm not seeing any big reason to disagree with this

edit: other than the whole DURRRR HURR YOU'RE EUROCENTRIC thing, in which case :dukedog:

schmuckfeatures fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 23, 2017

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

I'm betting getting your insurance to replace your windshield is cheaper than the removal fine. Then you can leave the old windshield with the barnacle attached in the spot where your car used to be. Bonus points if you take a picture for the internet.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
From an avatar:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Budgie posted:

I'm betting getting your insurance to replace your windshield is cheaper than the removal fine. Then you can leave the old windshield with the barnacle attached in the spot where your car used to be. Bonus points if you take a picture for the internet.

I'm curious what will happen if you do it to a chipped or cracked windscreen

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

schmuckfeatures posted:

edit: other than the whole DURRRR HURR YOU'RE EUROCENTRIC thing, in which case :dukedog:

On the off chance you're actually being serious, https://pinkocrat.wordpress.com/2013/03/01/the-hole-left-by-the-christian-dark-ages/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

From an avatar:

The hackspace I'm a member of has a Staubli RX60L and it is absolutely terrifying at full speed. The end effector can move at 15m/s and stop within some fraction of a mm of its intended target. So far its been used to mill PCBs with a gcode interpreter and all shouts of "give it a sword" have been ignored.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
In the same vein of robots with weapons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

~*faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrtttzzzzz*~

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

true facts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

Were new wheels available? Were they not subject to the same parts shortage?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
About airbags for a moment, and apologies if this isn't the right thread:

Who is going to willingly make these things, now that it's effectively established that you are accepting liability on the part forever?

"Oh, hey, it's 2058 and a 1998 vintage car just parked handy for a bridge abutment and the airbag inflator didn't trigger. We've established that the inflator failed to function because of a breakdown of the chemical propellant over the last 60 years, so your company's on the hook"

Do we start getting little yellow stickers on the steering wheel boss saying "USE BY <date>"?

e: I like the imagery of 'use by' rather than 'best before'.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 23, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

IPCRESS posted:

Do we start getting little yellow stickers on the steering wheel boss saying "BEST BEFORE <date>"?

... duh?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

IPCRESS posted:

About airbags for a moment, and apologies if this isn't the right thread:

Who is going to willingly make these things, now that it's effectively established that you are accepting liability on the part forever?

"Oh, hey, it's 2058 and a 1998 vintage car just parked handy for a bridge abutment and the airbag inflator didn't trigger. We've established that the inflator failed to function because of a breakdown of the chemical propellant over the last 60 years, so your company's on the hook"

Do we start getting little yellow stickers on the steering wheel boss saying "USE BY <date>"?

Nah, it'll be in the owner's manual for scheduled maintenance. Have them replaced every 'n' years.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

Were new wheels available? Were they not subject to the same parts shortage?

Junkyards / pick n pulls are wonderful. Even though scrap cars with working driver airbags aren't going to be super common, as long as there's post-recall cars with compatible steering wheels, you should be able to find one if you keep trying.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"Hello USPS? I was wondering why my package didn't arrive?"
"The delivery truck got possessed by a demon and beat the poo poo out of the driver."
"Okay, fair enough."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fESDBmW5sgw&t=207s

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I'm not paying the drat parking fine chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZr6YZOQ8A

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Lime Tonics posted:

So today at work, we had to clean out a warehouse/garage deal. People didn't pay the rent, left the place half full of crap. SO we go in and start cleaning it out. Dude pulls a box full of 9 inch bolts, it slips, full force into his kidney. He gets up, "oh everythings fine". Fast forward 3 hours later, the dude is writhing in pain, like on the ground. He pees out blood and passes a kidney stone. The ambulance comes, he gets to the ER, xrayed and all that, dudes got like 9 kidney stones.

I guess the moral of the story is, a box of bolts falling on you cures kidney stones.

uhg I still remember my friend discovering he had kidney stones at a party. he went in to pee and started crying and screaming, called me in to help him and my rear end in a top hat self at first was like "uh no dude I don't want to go in there" and then he screamed some more and I realized he's in nasty pain.

took him to the ER, he came out a couple hours later doped up but still obviously in pain. they gave him percocet and he wanted to share but after hearing him cry and scream i was like "uhh you better keep those for yourself dude"

so i only took a couple from him and we played watched a bunch of movies high as kites

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

free hubcaps posted:

Yep, they all have cockney accented artificial intelligence too I think

LOOK OUT CRABS AND LOBBIES

What changes would it take to make this OSHA-approved?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't think it is a matter of being cheap. The thing has GPS and the ability to send an alarm if you try to tamper with it. The idea is convenience. They are light and easy for a scrawny parking enforcement officer to use.

Convenient for the offender too. If your care is towed you need to get a ride down to the impound lot to retrieve it. With a boot . . . I don't even know. Pay your ticket and they'll send a guy to unboot your car when they get around to it?

With this, if you have a smartphone and the funds to pay your ticket you can be back on the road getting on with your day in 10 minutes. You don't miss your next appointment, you don't have to go out of your way to the impound lot or the courthouse. At some point in the next 24 hours you'll have to go to a barnacle drop off point, but at least you'll be able to use your own car to get there.

If you're too poor to pay your ticket you're still hosed, but no more hosed than you were before. And they probably whip out the barnacle after one or a handful of tickets so you don't accumulate 20 of the things and owe an impossible amount. Which ultimately does help irresponsible idiots to not rack up life ruining debt.

Around here they only boot your car if you have multiple unpaid tickets, so I feel like this doesn't solve the problem unless you have a lot of available funds in your account at that time.

Like, It doesn't seem like a bad idea over all, but it doesn't really change much for most people.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fins posted:

I'm not paying the drat parking fine chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZr6YZOQ8A

Where's the PPE?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

schmuckfeatures posted:

:ughh:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k6dmWTUq7Y

:redhammer: :bustem: :dare:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q4xzMHora0

haha holy poo poo.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

LOL the confrontation at the end.

"You guys gonna go build some cars now?"

:laffo:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

You mean as in every industry using time-sensitive degrading materials?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
More fukushima meltdown pictures.

http://photo.tepco.co.jp/date/2017/201707-j/170721-01j.html

More to the story too,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-23/japan-captures-more-photographs-of-likely-melted-fukushima-fuel

Decommissioning the reactors will cost 8 trillion yen ($72 billion), according to an estimate in December from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. Removing the fuel is one of the most important steps in a cleanup that may take as long as 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lime Tonics posted:

Decommissioning the reactors will cost 8 trillion yen ($72 billion)

But think of how many jobs it will create! for foreigners and yakuza