Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

Yeah the military will transition you for free haven't you heard:
https://twitter.com/FRCAction/status/888035819637932035

Maybe not wanna put the F-35 as the option B there guys

We could probably transition literally every transperson in the world for less than it costs and still have something more functional and useful at the end of the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That tweet is never not funny. It's a wall of ripping on that pos boondoggle

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ate all the Oreos posted:

Does... does this person not realize that HRT costs a lot of money...

the guy pretty clearly is not talking about money, but rather the idea that less well-to-do white men are low status as determined by the cathedral, or liberal academia or something, and that the only way to gain status is to become trans, which is exactly what anyone who knows how the world works thinks.

and it's even more stupid because in large parts of america white guys from that class background really do have poo poo-all in terms of prospects for a plethora of reasons. it's just that these alt-right fuckos who think it's all explained as the sjws who run things taking the power and respect once afforded to straight, white, working class men and giving it to transgender people, or something.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Fututor Magnus posted:

the guy pretty clearly is not talking about money, but rather the idea that less well-to-do white men are low status as determined by the cathedral, or liberal academia or something, and that the only way to gain status is to become trans,

No he's implying it's a self destructive behavior

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Maybe not wanna put the F-35 as the option B there guys

We could probably transition literally every transperson in the world for less than it costs and still have something more functional and useful at the end of the day

My favorite response was the one pointing out that a surgically created vagina, unlike the F-35, works when wet.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Fututor Magnus posted:

and it's even more stupid because in large parts of america white guys from that class background really do have poo poo-all in terms of prospects for a plethora of reasons.

I think that tweet subconsciously puts a finger near the problem, though: a big part of the reason they are in a dead end is because they are too committed to some of the bullshit aspects of masculinity.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fututor Magnus posted:

the guy pretty clearly is not talking about money, but rather the idea that less well-to-do white men are low status as determined by the cathedral, or liberal academia or something, and that the only way to gain status is to become trans, which is exactly what anyone who knows how the world works thinks.

and it's even more stupid because in large parts of america white guys from that class background really do have poo poo-all in terms of prospects for a plethora of reasons. it's just that these alt-right fuckos who think it's all explained as the sjws who run things taking the power and respect once afforded to straight, white, working class men and giving it to transgender people, or something.

I'm saying lower-middle class people can't afford HRT so it doesn't make sense as an 'out' for them even if you accept the premise, which implies that this guy is shockingly a moron

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My boyfriend's response: "Chelsea Manning transitioned into a woman, the F35 will never transition into an effective aircraft."

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

My favorite response was the one pointing out that a surgically created vagina, unlike the F-35, works when wet.

:vince:

BattleMaster posted:

My boyfriend's response: "Chelsea Manning transitioned into a woman, the F35 will never transition into an effective aircraft."

:pusheen:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sax Solo posted:

I think that tweet subconsciously puts a finger near the problem, though: a big part of the reason they are in a dead end is because they are too committed to some of the bullshit aspects of masculinity.

I know so many trans people who struggle to escape the dead-end working class life they were born into

I don't think masculinity is actually the primary problem on an individual level here

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lot of takes on that lovely alt-right guy's tweet. let's just say all are valid because that tweet is lovely in innumerable ways.

hackbunny posted:

No he's implying it's a self destructive behavior

these guys don't give a poo poo about self-destructive behaviour, the whole frogtwitter failson community didn't get that way by avoiding self-destructive choices. it's a common belief amongst these people that trans people and trans activism are so prominent now (that's an actual thing many of them believe, that transgendered people popped into existence in the last decade or something because of sjws) is that masculinity has been sabotaged and undermined to the extent that men are being forced to transition. there are many such threads of thought around that they've all merged together in my mind, but the basic gist of all of them is that the existence of trans peoples is a ploy against straight white men. why i don't think that they consider it a "self-destructive behaviour" is because they don't really consider transitioning to be done through choice.

but of course, there's a spectrum in how the alt-right thinks about trans, wesley for example wants the alt-right to try to court over lgbt people with racist rhetoric, specifically that brown people unequivocally, mindlessly hate gays and thus fascists are naturally the only ones who lgbt side with, because the left wants to bring over as many immigrants who'll turn pure white nations into islamic hellholes where gays will be lynched daily or something.

though if you ever spot wesley criticizing homophobia or transphobia in the alt-right, make sure to let me know. it's funny that just two to three years ago wesley was as homophobic and transphobic as any other nrx douchebag, but surprise surprise, turned out that he probably wasn't straight himself. now he's trying to convince lgbt people (only white ones, naturally) that the reactosphere is a bastion for them.

lmao i still remember when he used to write long rear end posts about how rationalism is degenerate and rife with mental illness because of the number of trans women in that community, and rationalist tumblr wouldn't give a poo poo.

Sax Solo posted:

that's probably a big part of it, and shows the ridiculously unhealthy way in which they think about their lives. you can either fulfill the bullshit image of masculinity, or you can: kill yourself literally or by becoming an addict, express your frustrations through murder-suicide, or give in to the cathedral / sjews / matriarchy by becoming a woman.

I'm saying lower-middle class people can't afford HRT so it doesn't make sense as an 'out' for them even if you accept the premise, which implies that this guy is shockingly a moron

well, yeah, it's not surprising that the guy has no idea of what it's actually like to transition. they literally think that once you do so (and obviously they only think about men transitioning to female) you're initiated into a drive favoured by society, and get to punch down at the cis scum, you get all the good jobs, high positions in academia from where to brainwash further generations of white men.

whereas in reality people lose their family, friends, money, whole entire support networks when they come out as trans. but remember that one feminist who made an ironic tweet? truly straight white men are the most downtrodden and low status.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I know so many trans people who struggle to escape the dead-end working class life they were born into

I don't think masculinity is actually the primary problem on an individual level here

Mental health and discrimination have way more to do with trans people's employability than the general state of the economy. A hundred restaurants could open in her town tomorrow and a trans women would still have problems finding a job waiting tables if she doesn't pass great.

If you're a cis het white dude who thinks your only life options are drugs, mass murder, suicide, or some kind of feminization, then yeah, I think your received ideas about masculinity are a problem in your life.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neon Noodle posted:

Yeah the military will transition you for free haven't you heard:
https://twitter.com/FRCAction/status/888035819637932035

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
In personal joys, my blockchain book is finally out, for £4.99 or whatever strange money you Americans use sent as Initial Book Offerings to the Kindlechain!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CPP581 - available worldwide
https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/ - book home page

that's non-DRMed Kindle edition; print edition coming (just finalised the cover), Smashwords too when I get around to it

not much neoreactionary content, though I do spend a whole chapter hurling ordure at ancaps and Austrian economics. Also this book wouldn't have existed without Neoreaction a Basilisk and Phil's experience in this self-publishing lark.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

divabot posted:

In personal joys, my blockchain book is finally out, for £4.99 or whatever strange money you Americans use sent as Initial Book Offerings to the Kindlechain!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073CPP581 - available worldwide
https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/ - book home page

that's non-DRMed Kindle edition; print edition coming (just finalised the cover), Smashwords too when I get around to it

not much neoreactionary content, though I do spend a whole chapter hurling ordure at ancaps and Austrian economics. Also this book wouldn't have existed without Neoreaction a Basilisk and Phil's experience in this self-publishing lark.

Congratulations, divabot!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

WrenP-Complete posted:

Congratulations, divabot!
Yes, hear hear! I've started reading.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Congrats!

In other news, let's learn how to fight back against the nanny state by being a petulant baby

https://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2017/07/how-to-become-more-anti-social.html

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Fututor Magnus posted:

these guys don't give a poo poo about self-destructive behaviour, the whole frogtwitter failson community didn't get that way by avoiding self-destructive choices.

OK, different angle: self-destructive coping behaviors to survive in SJW hell?

Fututor Magnus posted:

though if you ever spot wesley criticizing homophobia or transphobia in the alt-right, make sure to let me know.

Relevant Sam Kriss

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

OK, different angle: self-destructive coping behaviors to survive in SJW hell?

yeah, that makes a lot more sense. there's a lot of stupid poo poo these people do and justify it as what you need to to in order to throw off the sjw world order. commonly poo poo like dropping out of university (to escape sjw brainwashing) and becoming autodidacts. even heard of CS undergrads dropping out (since they still need to take non-STEM electives, and effort to turn out more well-rounded graduates instead of STEMlords) and going to some lovely coding camp, which was hilarious.

i'm sure people can think of more examples of nrx / alt-right taking idiotic decisions justified as shielding them from being turned into sjw zombies.

Relevant Sam Kriss
[/quote]

lol,yeah, this is a great article of his and indeed relevant

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Sam "better a thousand honest fascists than Macron" Kriss.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TinTower posted:

I mean, he was bang on about that one.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

No, he wasn't.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TinTower posted:

No, he wasn't.

It turns out Macron IS an honest fascist! He must be so happy! :v:

Myself I'm still impressed he managed to make an article on flat-earthers boring, and that he felt the need to take swipes at John Nash's schizophrenia to """debunk""" game theory to attack a dumb tweetstorm that wasn't even really about schizophrenia

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Even if Macron and every En Marche deputy is an "honest fascist", they'd be still 600 off.

It was statements like that that typified how goddamn stupid the Left can get at times. I mean, fifteen years ago the Left weren't happy about re-electing the corrupt neoliberal Gaullist Jacques Chirac, but they still did it because the alternative was a literal fascist.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Sam Kriss is really lucky Zizek kinda self-destructed, because his whole schtick is doing the same thing, but worse.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Kriss is an enjoyable polemecist but unfortunately falls squarely in the "anything that references psychoanalytic theory is only right by accident" bin.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oligopsony posted:

Kriss is an enjoyable polemecist but unfortunately falls squarely in the "anything that references psychoanalytic theory is only right by accident" bin.

It's okay, all his invocations of dead people, psychoanalyst or not, are really broad caricatures or simply wrong.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

That started well but rapidly declined into a barrage of Sam Kriss.

Sam Kriss is really lucky Zizek kinda self-destructed, because his whole schtick is doing the same thing, but worse.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Wait what happened to Zizek? :ohdear:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

He's starring in The Last Jedi this Christmas.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Neon Noodle posted:

Wait what happened to Zizek? :ohdear:

Unironically thinks Trump is better than Hillary and a bunch of other dumb poo poo.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Unironically thinks Trump is better than Hillary and a bunch of other dumb poo poo.

That's Jill Stein.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Relevant Tangent posted:

For more or less the same reasons Kriss preferred "honest fascists" to Macron, but Kriss hasn't started spouting transphobic or islamophobic nonsense yet, so he still has a career.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

I mean, fifteen years ago the Left weren't happy about re-electing the corrupt neoliberal Gaullist Jacques Chirac, but they still did it because the alternative was a literal fascist.

Fifteen years is a long rear end time. Fifteen years ago, Trump and Brexit (and probably Corbyn as well) would have been laughably unlikely. If you haven't been cured of liberalism yet, you may still be living fifteen years ago

divabot posted:

That started well but rapidly declined into a barrage of Sam Kriss.

How does something "decline" into something extremely good? :confused:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

And I just realized you tone policed an article on tone policing

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So here's something Sam Kriss said in his takedown of new atheists that is probably my favorite thing he's ever said, because it's dumb on so many different levels in such a concise way.

Sam Kriss posted:

Under the correspondence model of truth—the one favored by scientific rationality—a true statement is a thought-image that mirrors actual events; truth is just a repetition of the world. But as anyone who’s spent time with the mad knows, there’s something dangerous to one’s sanity about doing the same thing over and over again.

A lot to unpack here, so let me just do a broad stokes summary of the argument he's making

1: The correspondence theory of truth(which is, according to Sam Kriss, the one favored by "scientific rationality" whatever that means) says that a true statement is true if it reflects a state of affairs in the external world

2: One can phrase this as saying that a true statement repeats the world

3: "The mad" love doing the same thing over and over again, and doing so can make one mad

4: Therefore the correspondence model of truth is mad

What I love about this statement is that more or less every argumentative leap he makes is utterly absurd. First he takes a somewhat doubtful and idiosyncrantic formulation of the correspondence theory and compares it to what you know, and I know, and he knows, though he tries to obscure it, is a famous fake Einstein quote about the nature of insanity. Sam Kriss clearly knows, on some level, that if he just cited a dumb fake quote on this, he would look like a fool, so he appeals to spending time with "the mad". I'm not familiar with Sam Kriss's lifestory, so maybe he has spent time with "the mad" in his tenure as a thinkpiece writer and literature major. Maybe he was an assistant alienist at Bedlam, given that he's referring to them as "the mad"(Sam Kriss has an ableist streak that reoccurs a lot in his writing).

But none of that matters for the overall thrust of the argument because he hasn't established a link between this definition of madness and the correspondence theory. At most he's established a vague largely semantic analogy. Presumably he's banking on the goodwill of his readers, who want yet another hitpiece on new atheist dweebs and are willing to settle for dregs if they can just get another opportunity to feel like they're pwning Dawkins by proxy.

My other favorite thing: This statement is sandwiched between a paragraph where Sam Kriss indicates he has no idea how people outside of whatever ironic urbanite Adorno book clubs he hangs out in live, and especially not how people in America, where the New Atheists have seen the most success live

quote:

Whatever it is, it has something to do with a litany of grievances against the believoisie so rote that it might well (or ironically) be styled a catechism. These New Atheists and their many fellow travelers all share an unpleasant obsessive tic: they mouth some obvious banality—there is no God, the holy books were all written by human beings—and then act as if it is some kind of profound insight. This repetition-compulsion seems to be baked right into their dogma.

And one where he appeals to the authority of Sigmund Freud

quote:

Freud, who logged more hours in the company of the mentally ill than most, unearthed a strange dialectic here. Order, regularity, and repetition form the taxonomical basis of any civilization—and in repeating patterns, Freud suggested, human beings find a way to hold back the anarchy of the universe. But these patterns also nourish the seeds of madness. People are doomed to repeat a traumatic event—be it the child flinging a toy from its cot or the armies of Europe slicing each other up decade after decade. The wisdom and sanity of any society is founded on an originary madness.

In summary, Sam Kriss is the perfect person to do battle with New Atheists, because he is ALSO an idiot's idea of what a smart person sounds like

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

TinTower posted:

That's Jill Stein.

Nobody ever thought she was philosophically coherent though.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

hackbunny posted:

How does something "decline" into something extremely good? :confused:

I think you may be mistaken, because Sam Kriss's writing is bad. My friends keep recommending it, but I keep seeing bad writing.

I haven't looked through his time as an active goon, but I don't expect to see better.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, but you like Worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

But Freud is good and more people should actually read what he wrote? In my opinion Sam Kriss is fine but usually requires being conversant in literary theory.