Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lord Koth posted:

...Probably because a lot of those character concepts go back a lot further than x anime, so of course the same tropes will come up over and over.

Hell, given Deku's both extremely analytical and was flat out given his powers because of his heroic spirit, rather than just "trained really hard," he's a lot more similar to characters in the vein of Captain America than literally any character in Naruto.

Deku strikes me as a Pulp Hero with a Silver Age twist. All Might of course being Golden Age with a Silver Age sheen. Both of course first having taken a trip through a Japanese filter.

Stain is of course 90s as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lord Koth posted:

...Probably because a lot of those character concepts go back a lot further than x anime, so of course the same tropes will come up over and over.

Hell, given Deku's both extremely analytical and was flat out given his powers because of his heroic spirit, rather than just "trained really hard," he's a lot more similar to characters in the vein of Captain America than literally any character in Naruto.

Have you seen Naruto? Rock Lee is explicitly the character who is born with no powers and trains really hard to keep up with his classmates who have powers. That's the thing. (He also wears a green jumpsuit :cheeky: although for that matter I think Deku's outfit looks like Kick rear end too)

And that's as much Batman as Captain America too. But it strikes me as much more anime, the character of Deku.

The show is definitely a mix of Eastern and Western concepts and values though, and that's part of what makes it work so well and feel fresh even though its very derivative.

Gyges posted:

Deku strikes me as a Pulp Hero with a Silver Age twist. All Might of course being Golden Age with a Silver Age sheen. Both of course first having taken a trip through a Japanese filter.

Yeah definitely.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 22, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/879372891946717188

Basically this.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Except it's more homage than mockery.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they say that exact thing if you click through and read the tweet thread, mocking is shorter than homaging

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Moltrey posted:

they say that exact thing if you click through and read the tweet thread, mocking is shorter than homaging
And has a completely different meaning?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah it's weird that the guy couldn't remove a single character from his tweet to actually say what he meant instead of something completely different

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gently caress, he went with the fire right off.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Stain is a really interesting villain

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

omfg "sam kieth posture" :argh:

they're right though, except the feet aren't big enough

its me

Im the one with an almost complete set of the original run of The Maxx comics

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Maxx rules. Sam Keith rules. As an homage Stain rules, but he's a fucker and I hate him so much.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i bet Horikoshi totally and sincerely loves or at one point did love Spawn and that rules

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Horikoshi has like a half-dozen Venom figures because he loves that kinda poo poo. He is absolutely into Spawn a whole bunch.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moltrey posted:

i bet Horikoshi totally and sincerely loves or at one point did love Spawn and that rules
This is part of his office.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Still want to know what's going on in the cell that holds Bale Wayne, Bale Batman, Neeson Ra's(?), and a black R2 unit.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dragonatrix posted:

Horikoshi has like a half-dozen Venom figures because he loves that kinda poo poo. He is absolutely into Spawn a whole bunch.

Fabricated posted:

This is part of his office.
horikoshi owns

I know it's been said a million billion times, but I truly wish that cape comics would take pages from Horikoshi's books and I know that's just not doable in ways due to the almost century old comics industry at this point, but god I just cannot give a poo poo about current comics or superheroes outside of whatever Batman comics I read as a kid, I pay no attention to the modern MCU whatsoever. at Meanwhile I'd be down as hell to spend $6 - 7 for a week for the new My Hero Academia issue at my local shop, I love that the volumes have the lil banner in the top left of the cover that says Shonen Jump Comics Vol. # with a lil half a character, that's a super good touch.

I know the answer to my complaints is probably Indie Comics, but I feel that itself is sadly another, somehow more impenetrable realm

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
indie comics aren't impenetrable, they're just western manga in that they're written by 1 person (or a small group). they only seem that way because you don't know anything about them and you've presumably been reading manga for a while based on the fact that you post in an anime subforum. if you want to learn about indie comics just go to the comic subforum, there's tons of threads on the subject. and i bet dollars to dimes a quick search for something like "what are good graphic novels" or "what indie comics should i start with" would get you a bunch of easy answers.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

back when I was more interested in jumping through hoops to get :files: I was interested in Fell by Warren Ellis

and even further back when I lived in a town with a bookstore that dedicated a sizeable chunk of the floorspace to comics (racks of back issues as well as current releases (see: almost complete collection of Maxx) I regularly got two Australian indie comics, Bug & Stump, plus Platinum Grit (the artist of which you may know from a small webcomic called Oglaf)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I shoulda said Feels Like and not stated as a fact, I'm sure anime and manga feel like the same Wild West if you've been reading Hawkeye since middle school

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Moltrey posted:

horikoshi owns

I know it's been said a million billion times, but I truly wish that cape comics would take pages from Horikoshi's books and I know that's just not doable in ways due to the almost century old comics industry at this point, but god I just cannot give a poo poo about current comics or superheroes outside of whatever Batman comics I read as a kid, I pay no attention to the modern MCU whatsoever. at Meanwhile I'd be down as hell to spend $6 - 7 for a week for the new My Hero Academia issue at my local shop, I love that the volumes have the lil banner in the top left of the cover that says Shonen Jump Comics Vol. # with a lil half a character, that's a super good touch.

I know the answer to my complaints is probably Indie Comics, but I feel that itself is sadly another, somehow more impenetrable realm

Go check out Invincible or Saga if you want to check out some comics.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For that guy who missed it I guess, there's post credit scenes after some episodes and one of them is Bakugo brushing his teeth. It's episode 25 over all or S2 episode 12

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I know it's not current but if you want Good Western Comics and haven't actually read the 60's Era marvel stuff like Romita Sr.'s Spider-Man or classic Fantastic Four, you are doing yourself a massive disservice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The comments on the Funimation are literally all people having meltdowns over being two weeks behind or whatever from now on lmao.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Gyges posted:

I wonder who will represent the Bronze Age. Also, what's the age after that called?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Moltrey posted:

horikoshi owns

Multiverse stuff is really impenetrable and hard to catch up with, but if you wanna break into cape comics do what I do; read one-offs. Things like Marvel Zombies, Red Son, Gotham by Gaslight, all these weird alternate-tales are pretty self-explanatory short-stories that get poo poo done quick and don't run for 500 issues that require you to know the whole backstory.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who will represent the Bronze Age. Also, what's the age after that called?

After the Bronze age is the "dark age" (the 90s lolol) and then the "modern age"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Modern Age is after the Bronze Age. Though the first half or so of the Modern Age is also called the Dark age.

Golden Age: Later 30's - Early 50's
Silver Age: 1956-1970
Bronze Age: 1970-1985
Modern Age: 1985-Now

The Modern Age should probably be broken up by now, probably have it end with the Great Crash and after the crash to now be the new Modern Age.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've heard it called the Dark Age occasionally, since it was the 90s and poo poo like Spawn and Rob liefeld were king.

Deku is the Bronze Age stand in

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What do those terms mean outside of years?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm no expert, but roughly and as i understand it:

Gyges posted:

The Modern Age is after the Bronze Age. Though the first half or so of the Modern Age is also called the Dark age.

Golden Age: Later 30's - Early 50's Everything is new, Heroes are heroic and generally good guys and stuff.
Silver Age: 1956-1970 - poo poo gets weird: i think this is where most of the Superdickery covers came from and there's lots of gorillas and other wackiness
Bronze Age: 1970-1985 Things get a little more serious
Modern Age: 1985-Now Comics are not for children now! They are grim and serious and stuff. This idea has examples of both amazing feats of creation and total utter dreck.

The Modern Age should probably be broken up by now, probably have it end with the Great Crash and after the crash to now be the new Modern Age.

e: I also just found out that wiki has big pages for all of these things that probably are better for the curious to look at

start at the golden age and go from there

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've also heard the second half of the Modern age, after the Dark Age, referred to as the Aluminum Age because we're constantly recycling everything now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Golden Age is the classic Era of superhero comics where Good Guys knock the poo poo out of Bad Guys, who are usually thinly based on actual evils in the real world (E.g. The mob, slum lords, Hitler) and is defined by a very strong throughline of moral justice and not a small amount of wish fulfillment.

Silver Age is the result of moral panic and the Comics Code forcing comics to lighten up and get silly, with stuff like telepathic gorillas from another dimension, Comet the Super-Horse, Superman developing a new power every week, and a general lack of consequences for anything that happened. Batman '66 is pretty much the purest form of Silver Age wackiness, bless it. (Side note: the Comics Code also effectively killed the horror and mystery comics that had flourished alongside superhero comics during the Golden Age, which is why superheroes dominate the market in America compared to other countries)

Bronze Age was the pendulum swinging against the nothing-matters wackiness of the Silver Age and marked a return to handling Real World issues in comics, with, imo, the defining start being the death of Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man #122. The Bronze Age was characterized by superheroes having to deal with real issues like racism and drug abuse with albeit questionable skill and tact (cue speedy.jpg), as well as a resurgence and absorption of Horror and Mystery comic themes with characters like Blade, Ghost Rider, and the Punisher.

The Dark Age was essentially people taking the themes of the bronze age and seeing how far they could run with them. Frank Miller and Alan Moore paved the way with The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, respectively, both of which took the conventions and cliches of the superhero genre and ran them until they broke, and a million young readers decided to imitate them with all of the extreme-ness and none of the tact. Dark Age characters tend to be extremely violent, hyper-masculinized, and questionably heroic, such as Deadpool (before he became a comedy character,) Spawn, Lobo, Cable, etc. etc. etc. Heroes that kill a lot, lots of guns, and character designs that tend towards the hyper-muscled and over-kibbled.

I stopped giving a poo poo about comics around 2000 so someone else is going to have to run down the modern Era.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Golden Age was the era where Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Captain America (though not as a Marvel character because Marvel didn't exist yet) and Alan Scott originated. Back when Superman was a left-wing vigilante who lept tall buildings in a single bound, Batman used guns (OK, only for a few issues), and there was less continuity. This was before the Comics Code, so superheroes were allowed to be brutal vigilantes, although generally not to the extremes the 90s took it. More serious tone than Silver Age stuff (though still campy in retrospect), generally lower power levels.

The Silver Age (at least at D.C.) has a lighter tone, with heroes who don't kill (because Comics Code), Superman having a bajillion overpowered abilities, Superman making Jimmy Olsen marry a gorilla because reasons, and general absurdity. Marvel originates in this period, and is more serious (though still adhering to various Comics Code taboos), to the point where it feels weird to apply the term Silver Age to Marvel.

The Bronze Age marks a shift towards seriousness and social relevance (often clumsy in retrospect), like when Green Lantern and Green Arrow discover that racism and drugs exist. This is made possible in part by the loosening of the Comics Code.

The Dark Age begins with Watchmen and The Dark Night Returns, marking a shift towards over-the-top Dark and Edgy. Antiheroes like Ghost Rider and Spawn, Rob Liefeld's exaggerated muscles, Doomsday "killing" Superman. Also a lot of dubious business decisions involving collectible variant covers and the like, which nearly killed the industry. Some would say the Dark Age never really ended...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EmmyOk posted:

The time prior to the Golden Age was all the Pulp Heroes and was primarily found in Comic Strips that ran in newspapers. Slowly comic strips as stand alone media became a thing, going from collections of previous newspaper strips, to newspaper inserts, to stand alone magazines. Comedy, gags, and, I think, horror are the main genres.

The Golden Age is the introduction of Superheroes. Officially starting with Action Comics #1 and Superman. Often comics would carry a message. Superman was super lefty and would regularly take on rich assholes and try and help the poor. Wonder Woman pushed feminism and light bondage. Batman's war on crime had actual messages. Then World War 2 came along and everyone got patriotic as gently caress. However as the Golden Age wound down Superheroes began to be less popular and the Comics Code was introduced because dumb assholes started a congressional investigation because nobody was thinking of the children. It was very Freudian as the nation was told about all the gay things trying to make children gay. Also, Wonder Woman kind of didn't help but wasn't really the focus because it wasn't about making little boys gay. At the end of the Golden Age superheroes were fading away and the popular comics were romance, horror, mystery, and gag comics.

The Silver Age is more or less Adam West Batman writ large. The beginning of the Silver Age is the creation of The Flash, the first new superhero to catch on. At the time of Flash's creation Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were the only superheroes who still had their own, stand alone, comics. The implementation of the Comics Code, done to keep Congress from regulating comics much like the MPAA and ESRB, pushed publishers to focus once more on superheroes. However due to the Comics Code there was a whole lot less messages and a whole lot more wacky adventures. This is when Superman was a giant dick to all his friends, especially Jimmy, and Batman would be Adam West as all gently caress. This is the era most people think of as virtually all popular comics media of film and TV focused on this until very recently. Super Friends, Linda Carter Wonder Woman, Live Action Spiderman.

The Bronze Age is when comics decided to once again incorporate social issue messages into comics. There is no real delineating event that divides the Silver and Bronze Ages. A popular early early example is when Green Lantern and Green Arrow started teaming up and going around the US. Obviously everything wasn't all about social issues and stuff. But the tone of comics was generally darker than in the Silver Age. More "down to Earth". This is also when minority superheroes started popping up. Due to revisions in the Comics Code non-superhero genres began making a comeback. Also this is when characters like Ghost Rider and Kamandi came out, dealing less with super heroics and more with more genre specific action. Pulp heroes also got a new lease on publication after Conan got a comic that, I think, is still running. Additionally the comics companies started publishing official adaptations/tie ins with Hollywood movies.

The Modern Age is everything after that. Started off more or less with the now annual and usually tiresome event cross over. Of course then it was a fairly fresh and newish idea, DC having Crisis on Infinite Earths and Marvel having Secret Wars. This is also when Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are published. The popularity of which lead directly into the Dark Age where everything was grim and gritty and the anti-hero reigned.

Edit: Guess I shouldn't have spent so much time trying to find pictures. Pre-Golden Age took forever because I don't know jack about it and I didn't feel like posting something super racist.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 23, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

PMush Perfect posted:

I've also heard the second half of the Modern age, after the Dark Age, referred to as the Aluminum Age because we're constantly recycling everything now.

A part of me wishes the Dark Age could be renamed the Iron Age just to complete the pattern.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

A part of me wishes the Dark Age could be renamed the Iron Age just to complete the pattern.
Some people do exactly that.

Gold, Silver, Bronze, Iron, Aluminum.

Gyges posted:

There is no real delineating event that divides the Silver and Bronze Ages.
I'd disagree, and cite Amazing Spider-Man #96, 1971. It was, if not the first, at least the first mainstream comic to buck the control of the CCA's increasingly byzantine and self-defeating rules, which started the snowball rolling.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mraagvpeine posted:

...Bakugo is literally exploding Wolverine

Come to think of it, when I imagine him and Deku eventually getting lets say, above 80% of the way to reconciling, it looks a lot like Spider-Man and Wolverine's "nerdy younger brother and psycho older brother who only visits in between jail stints but has a heart of gold and wishes he could be not a psycho like his little brother" dynamic

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 23, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd disagree, and cite Amazing Spider-Man #96, 1971. It was, if not the first, at least the first mainstream comic to buck the control of the CCA's increasingly byzantine and self-defeating rules, which started the snowball rolling.

That's the one where Stan Lee was told he couldn't do a PSA comic about Spidey fighting drug dealers because drug use was a forbidden topic, right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yep. Essentially, the bureaucracy tripped over itself because someone incompetent was put in charge of making the decisions that day and Stan Lee just said gently caress it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PMush Perfect posted:

Green Lantern and Green Arrow had already realized that racism and drugs were issues by that point. Really the difference is that both the Golden and Silver Ages begin with the creation of a specific character, meanwhile the Bronze and Modern Ages are more or less tone changes that happen in the same time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kild posted:

Go check out Invincible

don't do this

saga is a solid self contained narrative though

• Locked thread