Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lasers don't even use ammunition. How is spamming lasers not way cheaper than missiles that coat a million dollar each and are one use weapons?

Well some do, in the form of the chamber gas deteriorating and needing replacement. But most importantly at middle melting intensities they generate a fuckton of heat which limits the maximum amount of time they can fire before needing a rest to cool down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's why they've built so many submarines.
Can't sink what you can't find.

And once laser anti missile defense weapons are more polished, carriers will be much safer.

There's been some good work done on shipboard laser weaponry, but you may want to temper your expectations as far as its counter ASCM capabilities...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Rematch for thw 1962 Sino-India War is definitely possible.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40653053

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lasers don't even use ammunition. How is spamming lasers not way cheaper than missiles that coat a million dollar each and are one use weapons?

Lasers do use ammunition - just because it's not in bullet or missile form doesn't make it any less relevant. The lenses, focusing elements, chemical fuel to generate the beam, capacitors to hold the charge, technicians to replace all of those things when they break down or need replacement... The airborne laser on the YAL-1 was only good for a finite amount of shots, as is the THEL.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/888919158850822147

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nevvy Z posted:

Doctoress is a woman doctor. Oh no I just broke everything!

You can call a male or female doctor a doctor, you can only call a female doctor a doctress, how does that break anything? That is the general rule. A yellow pie or a colon and a parenthesis are a boy, you add a bow to get a girl. Men are the default, women are a specific case.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can call a male or female doctor a doctor, you can only call a female doctor a doctress, how does that break anything? That is the general rule. A yellow pie or a colon and a parenthesis are a boy, you add a bow to get a girl. Men are the default, women are a specific case.

actually, some really old flight software automatically assigns the gender of a ticket booked for "Dr SoAndSo" as male.

I knew a professor who this caused problems for,since gender on ticket did not match gender on passport which meant it was a :siren: security issue :siren:

it was, unsurprisingly, an airline based in the middle east

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The hell is this 1b crap?

You can't do that. Impeach Use AA weapons on Party Plane Jones!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Space Gopher posted:

If you have enough lasers on your billion-dollar boat to engage five missiles before they hit you, and your enemy fires ten missiles costing a million dollars each at the same time, you're pretty much boned on both the "lost your boat" and "lost a lot more money in that exchange" standpoints.

Yes, and if your laser can shoot down a billion missiles including ship launched nuclear missiles, MAD is dead and we rule the world if we want to. Hypotheticals are stupid like that.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mulva posted:

Yes, and if your laser can shoot down a billion missiles including ship launched nuclear missiles, MAD is dead and we rule the world if we want to. Hypotheticals are stupid like that.

Uh please point out the completely flawless tests of our Star Wars defense system.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

On a tangent here but...
Who is doing this terrible design work for Trump? The WH has better graphics.
Gotta be someone born after 1990 or a boomer who just got into computers because that is bright red bleeding into 'screen of death' blue.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Deleted, whatever it was.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Huge scoop

https://twitter.com/littletboca/status/888911944081473537

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

"AMERICA IS COMING AND AMERICA IS COMING STRONG" say Donny, who I remind you has permanent and untreatable ED thanks to his hair drugs. He's forever :flaccid:

:sad:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

George Soros is actually paying me right now to post this. The money comes out of his horrible flaps of skin if I say Praise Liberalism.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

SubG posted:

Immediately prior to WWI it was popular to cite The Great Illusion by Norman Angell to explain why there would be no war:

Thank you, I couldn't remember what exactly to quote and wanted to get my snark in before the thread moved on. Now, next time someone argues that "because capitalism there can be no war" I will know what to refer to. :tipshat:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I'm getting a little tired of people saying Trump would do the right thing if they just appealed to his vanity, and it's only the republicans who are keeping him from doing so.

Don't get me wrong, a hypothetical Democratic Trump would still be robbing the nation blind, putting unqualified friends and family in positions of power, and embarrassing us in front of world leaders. It's just that he'd be pushing for dumb simplistic lefty ideas instead of dumb simplistic righty ideas. You know, like getting closer to the noble anti-imperialist Russians, going after Clinton for primary election fraud, and stopping these identity politics so we can kill NAFTA and bring back American steel jobs.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

did you cross post this from the schadenfreude thread

cuz 90 seconds of that was painful

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bird food bathtub posted:

Doesn't that actually somewhat amplify the gender imbalance problem? Having millions of men who also happen to be low socioeconomic class, with all the misery and bleakness that comes with it, that on top of that also numerically cannot find anyone to form a stable family life with just sounds like a recipe for really bad times. Not that it is going to be THE single factor underlying anything and everything, but it really sounds like that would definitely be cranking up the temperature of the pressure cooker a few degrees all by itself.

No. It's more complicated than it appears. You're talking about a demographic distributed mainly in poorer areas across the whole country and not at all concentrated, so it isn't likely to lead to any kind of social movement.

I found some posts in the AIRPOWER thread in GiP:

Arglebargle III posted:

The 80s and 90s generation in China points to kind of selfish people who form strong peer group bonds. So basically completely normal people.

The gender imbalance is more complicated than it looks on the surface. In reality the gender imbalance is local and in some places even skews female. This is mostly because female migrant workers are in demand for semi skilled manufacturing labor because they're more patient and possibly more tractable, and male migrant workers tend towards more strenuous manual labor. So in big manufacturing cities that attract hundreds of thousands of young women you can have a great marriage market for young men despite the larger gender imbalance. Especially if the in laws are dirt farmers and thus easily impressed.

The places with the worst gender imbalance in terms of unmarriagable young men tend to be poor and rural, which isn't great for uprising chances but means that the issue is unlikely to produce a movement with real chances of doing anything since the new middle class and the wealthy are not sympathetic in general to rural peasants.

In the short term the middle class can be expected to freak the gently caress out about falling property prices since the coming crash/correction (nobody knows which one) will be the first time in their experience with capitalism that a house won't be a good investment. Lots of middle class families in big cities got most of their wealth from essentially lucking into valuable property when the state gave people their formerly collectivized housing and are probably not prepared for the concept that the gravy train is over and their children will never get that opportunity no matter how many apartments they buy.

There's more but I'm having trouble searching the forums, I know the posts are in either the Chinese Megathread, Chinese Economy Megathread, or the AIRPOWER/Cold War thread; but the basic idea is that absolutely anyone who is at all important for the creation of any kind of popular movement is also important, wealthy, or influential enough, or simply prestigious enough as a position in society, to find a wife; even if it means "marrying below" the standards of his parents. Plus with so many overseas projects there's also opportunities to marry outside of China and bring home a wife.

e:

I found some posts from Cyrano4747 that I think make sense.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The men who matter will get jobs and wives. No upper middle class dude with a good income is going without a woman, even if he has to marry "down market" from what his parents might prefer. The places where you're seeing masses of dudes who can't get a wife are rural villages where all the women are heading out to the cities and using their newfound value to nab a husband a bit better in the prospects department than a pig farmer.

The poor dudes who can't get a wife and whose factory/farming/etc jobs are kind of hosed? Yeah, they're going to be pissed but this is China. Short of them somehow getting a major revolution off the ground (hard to do without the support of the middle class) nothing is going to happen. If they revolt the PLA will go in, massacre the gently caress out of a bunch of people, and it will either be explained as suppressing disruptive <insert local minority ethnicity> elements or just whitewashed out of the national history in 10 years a la Tienanmen.

Since I'm thinking about it a bit, I think the potential for revolution caused by screwing the poor gets widely exaggerated. The simple fact is that if there is even the slightest chance of advancement to a working middle class that poo poo doesn't happen. if you look at successful revolutions that change governments (as opposed to breaking away as an independent state) they tend to have immense gaps in wealth with near-zero chance of going from the bottom to the top. We can talk about how awful the income gap in the US is, but it looks like nothing compared to Tsarist Russia or the Republic of China. Even then both of those examples needed MASSIVE wars to turbo-gently caress the incumbent governments in unrecoverable ways.

It won't ever get to that point. The gender imbalance is bad, but it's not catastrophic bad. It's at about 700 million men and 667 million women. It's an ongoing issue, incidentally, with about 1.15 male births per female birth.

That's the sort of thing that's going to gently caress up your rural villages something fierce, and maybe junior NCOs won't have wives, but anyone with more pull than a E3 is going to find someone. Again, you don't need to compare favorably to a business tycoon, you just need to be more attractive than saying in BumFuck Hunan and marrying a dirt farmer.

Plus, the Chinese are buddying up to the Philippines. If anything we might have to worry about them stealing our source of lance corporal army wives.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 23, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Crabtree posted:

George Soros is actually paying me right now to post this.
Even if this were true, isn't using unlimited amounts of money to influence politics something the Republicans have fought hard to say is a perfectly ethical, valid, and protected use of the first amendment?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Robot Hobo posted:

Even if this were true, isn't using unlimited amounts of money to influence politics something the Republicans have fought hard to say is a perfectly ethical, valid, and protected use of the first amendment?

Only when they do it though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“SurgicalOntologist”" post="“474626648”"]
Thank you, I couldn’t remember what exactly to quote and wanted to get my snark in before the thread moved on. Now, next time someone argues that “because capitalism there can be no war” I will know what to refer to. :tipshat:
[/quote]

Capitalism in 1914 differs significantly from capitalism in 2017.

Its one of the reasons the nuclear deal with Iran was so important. They’re much less likely to support stupid poo poo if they have some skin in the global economic game.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Audible gasses emanating from Tom Clancy's bloated corpse don't count as "theories."

To be fair, a couple of years ago the idea that Russia would invade Ukraine was the most Clancy-esque theory possible.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That doesn't make much sense. China doesn't want a goddamn thing to happen to North Korea because they don't want all those people flowing across the border.

I think that the idea is that if China took the initiative and invaded NK from their end they could halt the flood of refugees with their massive army in the way. They couldn't do that if the US invaded from the south or if the regime collapsed on its own.

Anyway, it's just a theory, it's not like I want this to happen.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Robot Hobo posted:

If the money isn't going into their pocket they get mad.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be fair, a couple of years ago the idea that Russia would invade Ukraine was the most Clancy-esque theory possible.

Eh, Russia had been signalling that stuff for years with the invasion of Georgia and all. Ukraine specifically is pretty much a nation where the Cold War never ended; politics on both sides are basically just the US/EU and Russia throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at their favored oligarchs channeled through foreign aid, organizational development, and separatist/nationalist movements. It just turned hot when it looked like the West was winning after Euromaidan; invading Ukraine was cheaper than having to build a new base for the Black Sea Fleet.

The fighting over Ukraine was probably a large factor in Putin's decision to interfere with our election in the first place. Not only is it the birthplace of the Russian polity and culture, but the country basically stalled economically after the Cold War as Ukrainian and Russian oligarchs privatized everything and siphoned the wealth out of the country; Russia has a lot more at stake in Ukraine than anywhere else in post-Soviet Europe. Gazprom and other Russian companies have been losing their hold, and thus profits, on Ukraine for the past several years due to reforms, increased transparency, and diversified and updated infrastructure that limited Russia's economic sway over Ukraine through natural gas or oil.

What better way to get back at the US than having its president running the nation like a post-Soviet shithole?

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 23, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think that the idea is that if China took the initiative and invaded NK from their end they could halt the flood of refugees with their massive army in the way. They couldn't do that if the US invaded from the south or if the regime collapsed on its own.

Anyway, it's just a theory, it's not like I want this to happen.

It's stupid Tom Clancy bullshit. Do you think China is going to massacre every single North Korean? Because when the masses of refuges are facing starvation in their newly collapsed state, that's literally the only way to stop the flood.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

No. It's more complicated than it appears. You're talking about a demographic distributed mainly in poorer areas across the whole country and not at all concentrated, so it isn't likely to lead to any kind of social movement.

I found some posts in the AIRPOWER thread in GiP:

There's more but I'm having trouble searching the forums, I know the posts are in either the Chinese Megathread, Chinese Economy Megathread, or the AIRPOWER/Cold War thread; but the basic idea is that absolutely anyone who is at all important for the creation of any kind of popular movement is also important, wealthy, or influential enough, or simply prestigious enough as a position in society, to find a wife; even if it means "marrying below" the standards of his parents. Plus with so many overseas projects there's also opportunities to marry outside of China and bring home a wife.

e:

I found some posts from Cyrano4747 that I think make sense.

So the Penninsula is going to blow up in rebellion soon?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Who's going on the sunday shows tomorrow? Are we gonna get some more quality Trump fellatio by Patrick Bateman?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He reminds me of the 80s boneitis guy from Futurama.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

It's stupid Tom Clancy bullshit. Do you think China is going to massacre every single North Korean? Because when the masses of refuges are facing starvation in their newly collapsed state, that's literally the only way to stop the flood.

Mass murders have occurred for far flimsier reasons than that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

WampaLord posted:

I know this thread gets a little weird and off topic on the weekends but "hypothetical inevitable China war" has been a real whopper of a dumb derail.

In case anyone was wondering, I can confirm that China has real mountains.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

China doesn't have a Montana so I'm pretty sure this is false.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

Who's going on the sunday shows tomorrow? Are we gonna get some more quality Trump fellatio by Patrick Bateman?

https://twitter.com/epngo/status/888946472254922752

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

what's a "real mountain"?

that was a joke, please don't answer

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Great, now I can know exactly what trump is jacking his little orange dick to, right when he's jacking it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

This would have been a much better derail.

enraged_camel posted:

what's a "real mountain"?

that was a joke, please don't answer

NO, DO IT! :devil:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I don't care about Musk or the hyperloop, but articles like this are exasperating. Like, no poo poo a brand new technology isn't instantly going to be more affordable and better in every way then existing tech that has 200 years of experience and infrastructure.

All I can picture is a sniffy article from 1898 about how this so-called 'horseless carriage' is nothing but a worthless toy for the idle rich, inherently discriminatory against the nations poor. Imagine, furthermore, the expense and logistics of paving this great nations thousands of miles of roadways and establishing regular 'refueling stations' filled with dangerous flammable liquid, when that money might be better invested in wainwrights and horse farms...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

WampaLord posted:

This would have been a much better derail.

NO, DO IT! :devil:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I don't care about Musk or the hyperloop, but articles like this are exasperating. Like, no poo poo a brand new technology isn't instantly going to be more affordable and better in every way then existing tech that has 200 years of experience and infrastructure.

All I can picture is a sniffy article from 1898 about how this so-called 'horseless carriage' is nothing but a worthless toy for the idle rich, inherently discriminatory against the nations poor. Imagine, furthermore, the expense and logistics of paving this great nations thousands of miles of roadways and establishing regular 'refueling stations' filled with dangerous flammable liquid, when that money might be better invested in wainwrights and horse farms...

on the other hand, everything ever written about flying cars, low earth orbit plane travel, hell loving concordes were even made and proven to be a terrrribbbllleee idea.

Just because some ideas are ahead of their time doesn't mean the vast majority of them aren't worthless wastes of money.

Like the hyperloop.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread