Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arc Light posted:

New Zealand's South Island is having a bad time. Evacuations in progress, with the military mobilizing to deal with flooding in Christchurch and elsewhere.

http://news.sky.com/story/new-zealand-cities-declare-state-of-emergency-after-storm-10957258

Yup. It's ugly down there. Not only did they get hit with a massive rainstorm, but apparently snow's on the way. Good chance people will freeze to death if they've fled their homes without anywhere to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

I like how the POTUS doesn't know the difference between council and counsel especially seeing as how one of those is firmly in his family's rear end in a top hat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Personally I'm loving gobsmacked that he's making it public that he is even looking at the pardon option.

I mean yeah it leaked but jesus dude you never confirm or deny

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yikes

https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/887786725770227716

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The NRA has been slowly sliding towards right-wing lunacy since I was a kid, but I never expected them to throw on the hoods and go full-Klan. Always figured it for a more down-low sort of racism.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How do I disrupt the NRA from within? Its me, i'm the insider threat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

insha'Allah

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Shoot a black person and say the NRA told you to

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GoGoGadget posted:

Shoot a black person and say the NRA told you to

He said disrupt

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

From within? Eeeeeh.

If you want to disrupt the NRA from without just start up Black Panthers 2: Gun Rights Boogaloo and watch racist white people freak the gently caress out about "hey maybe we SHOULD restrict the second amendment". Of course they'll only push for solution that secure the existence of their people and a future for their children but it's a start that can be pushed into other legislative approaches.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Haven't the NRA's membership numbers been plummeting?

How many people would it take to establish a far left faction of it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you're talking about a less insane organization, more like what the NRA was like pre 1980 or so, not many. It'll pick up steam. But if you want a lobby organization with that kind of power, good loving luck.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The people who donate the the NRA would skip buying their heart meds to send another $10 if asked. They got that crazy on lockdown.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:rip: oklahoma

https://twitter.com/USGS_Oklahoma/status/888138239109890049/video/1

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ACLU for gun owning rights

NRA for gun manufacturing/selling rights.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 23, 2017

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
:stonklol: Has anything similar been seen in the Dakotas/Alberta or is this relatively unique to Oklahoma's geology?

I get the feeling we're going to see the entire state descend into a giant sinkhole that Failbetter Games will base their next game off of.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Wow, fracking's pretty bad rear end

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RIP

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I really want that overlaid with drilling sites to really hammer the point home.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What is going on in central Oklahoma that the planet wants dead so badly?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cowboy elvis posted:

Fracking (e: and oil production and resulting wastewater re-deposition, according to the USGS site).

That's just a map of injection induced earthquakes.

Mother nature is pissed

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oklahoma is trying really, really hard to tell all of the people there to leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cowboy elvis posted:

quote:

Finally, there are the issues of earthquakes. The disposal of used fluid can cause small fault zones to come loose and cause an earthquake.[12] While they are usually low-to-moderate strength earthquakes, they become impressively more frequent around areas with these wells.[13] Though the fracking process itself does technically cause earthquakes, those earthquakes are small enough and deep enough that they're not felt at the surface. Because fluid disposal wells stay in operation longer and inject more fluid, they can trigger felt earthquakes. Mostly because of wastewater injection, the earthquake hazard in central Oklahoma is as high as in parts of California.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm rooting for the Earth in this instance.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Oklahoma is trying really, really hard to tell all of the people there to leave.
I prefer if they stay where they are.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I really want that overlaid with drilling sites to really hammer the point home.

More like, wastewater injection sites: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MrYenko posted:

Ew. No.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Would you rather have all the Oklahomans reenact the Oregon train, or all of the Floridians drive north as the waters rise behind them?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Would you rather have all the Oklahomans reenact the Oregon train, or all of the Floridians drive north as the waters rise behind them?

Both are likely to happen in the next 100 years, as Florida's sea level's rise and start mixing with the fresh water underground and cause massive increases in sinkholes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I'd prefer to build a wall around them. But it has to be see through so nobody gets hit with a 60lb bag of drugs.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

ACLU for gun owning rights

NRA for gun manufacturing/selling rights.

ACLU has repeatedly said they won't do poo poo in regards to the 2ND amendment.

If you want to donate money to someone who actually tries to promote and protect the 2ND amendment, give money to the 2A Foundation.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nothing of value was lost

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MrYenko posted:

Nah, trail of tears 2: the walk out of Oklahoma.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

They did that in the 20's. The whole state picked up and moved to California.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Oklahoma is a lovely mix of Republicans and true believer baptists

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/chriskingfl/status/885180688709947393

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

bulletsponge13 posted:

If you want to donate money to someone who actually tries to promote and protect the 2ND amendment, give money to the 2A Foundation.

Is that the NRA breakaway organization I would have heard about in the last decade or so?

Incredibly, "Less-racist NRA" never gets me any good search results.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bulletsponge13 posted:

That is because they have better poo poo to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

How bad is it? So bad that this thoroughly red state for whom oil production is practically the sole industry voluntarily shut down the offending injection wells (after a couple years of denials and scientist silencing a large climate change denial)
It actually worked, pretty much instantly.

• Locked thread