Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how much do Roll for the Galaxy and the core set of Dominion weigh? Basically I need to know if either is 2kg or more because if so RIP my chances of importing either of them.

According to Amazon Roll is 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg) and Dominion is 3 lbs (1.36 kg).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how heavy is gloomhaven

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Doorknob Slobber posted:

how heavy is gloomhaven

About 22lbs according to BGG users.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kamikaze Raider posted:

According to Amazon Roll is 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg) and Dominion is 3 lbs (1.36 kg).

Thanks. On second thought, I could have used Amazon or BGG. Sorry :downs:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The LCG model is great because it is better in every way to the CCG model. I sold all my Magic cards a few years back and will be ready go down that rabbit hole again.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hopper posted:

I guess I'll try my hand at a foamcore insert. Already bought some foamcore to practice by building an insert for Andor.

I just made one for Mage Knight recently so I could cram all the expansions into one box. It's pretty easy and chill once you've got the basics on how to do it, though it would have been a lot easier with a proper paper cutter setup I imagine.

Course after I was all done I started noting all the different things I could do to save space or improve the design so I'm tempted to go back and redo bits. But it went pretty well considering I was creating all of the measurements on my own without any CAD tools or anything.

For whatever reason, the white Foamcore is like 1/3 the price of any of the colored ones. Advantage of white is that your glue mistakes don't show up on it. Disadvantage is that everything else does :v:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm selling 11 games I rarely play: Mage Knight, Android Netrunner (core + ~10 expansions and other stuff), 7 Wonders, Illuminati (2012 printing), Exploding Kittens, The Castles of Burgundy Card Game, Coup, Ticket to Ride, Codenames, Race for the Galaxy (+ Alien Artifacts), and Puerto Rico. All played under 10 times in very good condition. Creating an SA-Mart thread sounds like effort, so PM me with offers if you want one or more.

EDIT -- I'm in Portland, OR, USA. Illuminati is sold.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 21, 2017

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm selling 11 games I rarely play: Mage Knight, Android Netrunner (core + ~10 expansions and other stuff), 7 Wonders, Illuminati (2012 printing), Exploding Kittens, The Castles of Burgundy Card Game, Coup, Ticket to Ride, Codenames, Race for the Galaxy (+ Alien Artifacts), and Puerto Rico. All played under 10 times in very good condition. Creating an SA-Mart thread sounds like effort, so PM me with offers if you want one or more.

Are you in the US or in the EU?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

DarkHorse posted:

Mice and Mystics is a fun little episodic campaign where you fight roaches and rats in your enemy-occupied castle. I think it might be limited to four players though.

As a counter to this, while I love the theme of the game and its components are great...my wife and I couldn't do it. It's way too difficult, entirely due to how much you can be screwed by a bad roll (which will happen often). We only made it 4 or 5 missions in (failing quite a bit while doing it) before we decided to just read the story and then sell it.

There's good things about it, but we couldn't get past how unforgiving a bad die roll can be.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

lockdar posted:

Yea. Are you in freedom land or somewhere civilized?

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Telling someone to keep it civil, then engages in the same idiotic, childish argument strategy of throwing shade at everyone who happens to enjoy a game you don't.

:rolleyes:

You're 100% right, I apologize for making GBS threads up the thread. :)

Have a friendly reminder that http://tabletopaudio.com/ exists, its cool and good.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

lockdar posted:

Afriscipio posted:

Yea. Are you in freedom land or somewhere civilized?

I'm in the US

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I played Pax Renaissance yesterday. Pretty sure we got some of the rules wrong and didn't fill up the levies when we ran trade routes but it's a Ekland game what do you expect. It was good though I preferred it to Pamir.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

CSI has Corcondia back in stock, if anyone here was waiting.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/197744

Do we have any reports on if there are any changes in the reprint, outside of the box art? BGG has said there was nothing, but others said the pieces are smaller? Now that it's out, you gotta figure it's possible to confirm or deny.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I didn't hate the old art but I'm not sure the new one is better.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Somehow the East won, though! Here's the end game map, with every last factory run down. It became a race to see if the East could build enough infrastructure to dismantle, since the population was well under control.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there anything in the 3rd edition High Frontier rules I can port back to my old copy? I'd love to play it again but I remember elements being pretty painful, particularly the sloooow start.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there anything in the 3rd edition High Frontier rules I can port back to my old copy? I'd love to play it again but I remember elements being pretty painful, particularly the sloooow start.

As far as I know 3rd edition is upgraded components and a printed book of all the living rules. You can download whatever edition of the living rules are currently up but it's like a 100 page document at this point.

So yes, you can keep your old edition up to date. A couple things made the game far easier over the years like giving you more water for economy action and factories let you upgrade every turn instead of once you build the factory.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Somehow the East won, though! Here's the end game map, with every last factory run down. It became a race to see if the East could build enough infrastructure to dismantle, since the population was well under control.

I scored a win off my brother once because he'd totally forgotten economic collapse was a thing and he lost his entire infrastructure at the end of the seventies

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

it's like a 100 page document at this point.

Oh God I changed my mind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Oh God I changed my mind.

Well the basic rules are maybe 10 pages at most but who wants to play the basic game?? I had fun enough playing advanced (not colonization).

Tangentially related I picked up Lords of Sierra Madre, the original war game that would get redesigned into Pax Porfiriana. And man you can see all of Eklund's trappings here. It's a solid 20 pages of double columned pictureless text, textbook writing, and exceptions layered on exceptions. But it's neat seeing how Eklund has evolved as a designer. There's a lot of DNA from High Frontier in here.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Did anything change mapwise between high frontier 2nd and 3rd?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Banana Man posted:

I don't think so. I know the map changed between 1 and 2 but you can buy the latest map in poster size from Eklund's website so maybe cross reference through there. I'm pretty sure not, the big change from 1st was to eliminate an exploit with solar sails that basically let you fly from Earth to Uranus in a turn.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Banana Man posted:

Actually, yes, significantly.

The big change is, special lander burns have been added to many of the larger bodies, which work with the new landing rules.

Additionally, the inspiration spaces (triangles) are gone completely.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So if I want to buy one of my friends a few games suitable for 2 players and they have Terraforming Mars on their wishlist, should I get that or go for something else? I've already got Castles of Burgundy ordered, which was on their list as well, but I heard some negative things about TM in this thread.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

Actually, yes, significantly.

The big change is, special lander burns have been added to many of the larger bodies, which work with the new landing rules.

Additionally, the inspiration spaces (triangles) are gone completely.

How much difference do the lander changes make?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man I do not remember "inspiration" or special lander burns at all. I'll have to restudy my map as I have first edition and I just know about the tweaking around earth and the moon.

What a loving mess might I add, why do I continue to support Phil Eklund?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Holy poo poo This War of Mine.

super random, absolutely an experience simulator akin to Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

Essentially boils down to juggling 5 different stats per character (all players collectively control all characters): hunger, fatigue, illness, misery, and wounds. Any stat gets to 4 and they die. Most stats in the 1-3 range remove 1+ of the characters 3 available actions per day.

so the game is a juggling act, trying to keep the characters able to take enough actions to keep getting the resources necessary to survive + build things.

We made it to day 4 before everyone died, and that was without any of the stretch goal additions.

I managed to buy someone's full kickstarter for $45 last week so I'm thrilled with it.

I can talk more about it if anyone wants, but I've only scratched the surface.

EDIT: turns out I got some fundamental rules wrong and played the game waaaay tougher than it should have been.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

super random, absolutely an experience simulator akin to Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I managed to buy someone's full kickstarter for $45 last week so I'm thrilled with it.

These two don't seem to make sense together.

I played New Angeles yesterday. Made me wish I were playing Archipelago or BSG instead. Game felt super slow and repetitive (I was ready to call it quits after the first Demand phase), since the assets generally weren't good enough to actually compete for, so if there was something vaguely reasonable out as an offer or counteroffer, then we would vote for it since, again, the assets were pretty dull. As a result, we all probably cooperated a bit too much, except basically the characters in the last few places, but very few deals were being made since, y'know, androids gotta move and HB gets the points anyway so fuckit? But it didn't feel like the game felt different on turn (?) 6 vs turn 1, since it was just a series of votes to vote for which mole to whack this turn.

Also, I didn't play the Federalist, but I also wasn't sure if they could do something that would have both increased threat and wasn't blindingly obvious as federalist move. Like, production is usually tight enough that messing with production would have have been a very obvious Federalist move.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 owns owns owns but goddamn is it annoying having to reorganize everything because the base game didn't come with any baggies like the expansions do so the expected means of storing the game is to just put the pieces into the plastic insert and hope they stay there, but the second I move it in any way, shape, or form, the pieces just kinda go flying and get mixed up and each time I end up having to reorganize poo poo before I start a new game.

Now thankfully it turns out that someone uploaded some cute papercraft boxes to put the tiles in. Near as I can tell they didn't make any special ones for the bullet and net tokens, just a blank white box intended to hold both I think. I'm gonna try to print out the patterns for the boxes though because I think they're pretty fuckin neato.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
High Frontier 3rd also has a new fuel diagram that is condensed into a single zigzag line.

al-azad posted:

Tangentially related I picked up Lords of Sierra Madre, the original war game that would get redesigned into Pax Porfiriana. And man you can see all of Eklund's trappings here. It's a solid 20 pages of double columned pictureless text, textbook writing, and exceptions layered on exceptions. But it's neat seeing how Eklund has evolved as a designer. There's a lot of DNA from High Frontier in here.
Yep! High Frontier is the sequel to "Rocket Flight aka Lords of the High Frontier", which is a sequel to Lords of the Sierra Madre. They come from the same place.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I love Neuroshima Hex but the app ruined me. You can breeze through a game with the computer taking care of all the housekeeping so now it's a slog to play IRL.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

Man I do not remember "inspiration" or special lander burns at all. I'll have to restudy my map as I have first edition and I just know about the tweaking around earth and the moon.

What a loving mess might I add, why do I continue to support Phil Eklund?

Yeah I might study eBay prices instead. I hate to sell such a fascinating game, but every time I think about playing it I look at the rules and just kinda... uuugh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Just because BAHOTH is not a great game doesn't mean that all games in the same mould necessarily have to be bad.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

It's super random and there's no skill to it beyond juggling bad statuses. Nevertheless I enjoyed myself and I want to play it again soon. There's no depth, it's just a matter of making the best of a nearly impossible situation. Hell, the box even has an envelope you're only supposed to open if you survive a full 14 day campaign.

It is the best exemplar of 'fun but not good.'

The second comment was 'I'm enjoying this even more because I paid 1/3 of the regular price for it.'

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Did my first game of Mansions of Madness 2nd ed today, 2 players, and it was great. Upkeep is really minimal, rules are simple, the app is great and really enhances the game.

We kind of rushed through the first scenario and barely managed to escape with our life (thanks to a stupid mistake - we did take damage and horror cards face-down the whole game, I was wondering why the game didn't seem that lethal :v: ) but it was a pretty nice bit of storytelling, mixed with the usual for the Arkham series "roll tons of dice and get everything ruined by bad luck (but in a sorta kinda fun way)".

Not much strategy of course, but if I want strategy I have my fair share of Euro brain-burners, I got exactly what I expected from this: a fun and relatively quick story to enjoy cooperatively, with tight mechanics and easy to play with basically any kind of gamer regardless of previous experiences.

My main gripe is the miniatures suck. They're not that bad design-wise, but they're poorly made (the holes in the bases are either too small or too big, the insert for the monster token is often large and the token tends to slip out, the minis themselves have lots of plastic residue and some were bent out of shape). If I could have a miniature-less version for 20$ cheaper I'd go for it without question.

I think I'm going to get the expansions, I can see this getting to the table often enough that the 4 scenarios will not last all that long.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TorakFade posted:

My main gripe is the miniatures suck. They're not that bad design-wise, but they're poorly made (the holes in the bases are either too small or too big, the insert for the monster token is often large and the token tends to slip out, the minis themselves have lots of plastic residue and some were bent out of shape). If I could have a miniature-less version for 20$ cheaper I'd go for it without question.

Yeah, this is basically where I'm at with all board games. Miniatures just serve to inflate the price and make the box bigger. They add nothing a cardboard token couldn't do.

My other big Fantasy Flight gripe is write the name of the deck on the back of the deck for fucks sake. Is the "Peril Deck" the one with the torch or the map on it? Who loving knows!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a thread / goon consensus on a good "dungeon crawler" tabletop game?

We played a game of Hero Quest at a friend's house the other night and it woke up an old itch for paper and pencil rpgs, plus my wife liked it because it was cooperative and more concrete than a pure paper and pencil rpg - she liked having a clear game board and relatively simple rules because she's basically new to RPGs.

I was looking at Descent since there's an app that would handle the GMing -- is it good? Any other suggestions?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a thread / goon consensus on a good "dungeon crawler" tabletop game?

We played a game of Hero Quest at a friend's house the other night and it woke up an old itch for paper and pencil rpgs, plus my wife liked it because it was cooperative and more concrete than a pure paper and pencil rpg - she liked having a clear game board and relatively simple rules because she's basically new to RPGs.

I was looking at Descent since there's an app that would handle the GMing -- is it good? Any other suggestions?
Gloomhaven is pretty much what you want. Descent is decent with the app but gloomhaven blows all other dungeon crawlers out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tekopo posted:

Gloomhaven is pretty much what you want. Descent is decent with the app but gloomhaven blows all other dungeon crawlers out of the water.

Is there currently a way to order the 2nd printing of Gloomhaven? It seems like it's in a weird valley right now between kickstarter and shipping.

I might try Descent first and then move on to Gloomhaven later. I'm trying to ease my wife into RPG's and it looks like Gloomhaven might be a little complex -- she's still at, like, "Settlers of Catan is fun but really complicated" level. She liked Hero Quest because it was very simple and straightforward.