Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

But how do you REALLY feel about this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also who are you talking to

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You specifically

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDLn-Gr2_8I

This is retarded awful poo poo for stupid moron babies. Do not buy this. Do not spend time on this.

That is a very agile Rusev you got there.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

also who are you talking to

I'd actually like you to defend this game, now.

Not in advance. As people post issues.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

I'd actually like you to defend this game, now.

Not in advance. As people post issues.

Feel free to start any time now.

The game has its flaws but so far all you've done is posted a video of a very sprightly Rusev.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What am I supposed to start?

e: max if you think there is anything bigger here or that I'm 'Starting something' ...uh no.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 22, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
You're just saying "the game sucks" and then asking someone to defend it "as people post issues", which you haven't done.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
is this about Fire Pro World or Wrestling Revolution Whatever?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

SleepCousinDeath posted:

is this about Fire Pro World or Wrestling Revolution Whatever?

Its about being brave. Its about fighting the good fight.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Its about being brave. Its about fighting the good fight.

Hear hear. Stand up against this lovely game tyranny.

I guess.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Giant Gram 2000 is the only wrestling game that matters anyway

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay just to clarify my positions:

Fire Pro Wrestling World is a fun, fast-paced game with enough depth to capture an authentic wrestling feel, and has lots of fun edit options, but as Early Access there's still some bugs and the learning curve is a little steepish. Needs better documentation and a way to sort through all those head options besides just color.

Wrestling Revolution 3D probably sucks. Every time I hear about all the stupid poo poo that can happen in it I'm vaguely interested, but then you watch it actually being played and it's so slow and clunky, you can tell it's a pain.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrestling Revolution is more fun and entertaining than WWE 2k17.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay just to clarify my positions:

Fire Pro Wrestling World is a fun, fast-paced game with enough depth to capture an authentic wrestling feel, and has lots of fun edit options, but as Early Access there's still some bugs and the learning curve is a little steepish. Needs better documentation and a way to sort through all those head options besides just color.

Wrestling Revolution 3D probably sucks. Every time I hear about all the stupid poo poo that can happen in it I'm vaguely interested, but then you watch it actually being played and it's so slow and clunky, you can tell it's a pain.

The game sucks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Beef City posted:

The game sucks.

No poo poo. It is a Bad Game.

It's a fun Bad Game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Wrestling Revolution is more fun and entertaining than WWE 2k17.

I'll have to take your word on that one.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Apparently when you blow up the ring in Fire Pro it busts everyone open, including the ref, which is a nice touch I guess. Still wish there was a blood slider so you can go from no blood PG to straight up CZW bloodbaths.

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice
poo poo on 2k all you want but at least that game is loving playable. If they made a game that looked like WWE 2k visually (crap on the graphics all you want, but it's the best looking wrestling game on the market), played like an AKI game, had a general manager mode approaching the depth (but not quite as in-depth) as TEW and had the Fire Pro customization options it would be the greatest wrestling video game of all time.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

"if only it was a different game it would be good!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jred250 posted:

poo poo on 2k all you want but at least that game is loving playable. If they made a game that looked like WWE 2k visually (crap on the graphics all you want, but it's the best looking wrestling game on the market), played like an AKI game, had a general manager mode approaching the depth (but not quite as in-depth) as TEW and had the Fire Pro customization options it would be the greatest wrestling video game of all time.

People poo poo on the 2K games' graphics because they're just the diarrhea topping on the poo poo cake that is those awful games. You're corrects, however, that if it was a completely different, otherwise good game but with those graphics, people would give them a pass.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I always thought people who liked mdickie stuff were being ironic, I didn't realize there were people who would actually defend those games as a competitive product.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spongeh posted:

I always thought people who liked mdickie stuff were being ironic, I didn't realize there were people who would actually defend those games as a competitive product.

It's really dumb in ways that are really interesting. You get bounced between different companies and meet all sorts of knockoffs of real wrestlers. The Career Mode just goes, forever, and autogenerates a universe where people die, offer you steroids, steal your clothes and force you to wrestle naked... it is, in spirit, closer to the weirdness of actual wrestling than any other wrestling game.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
nvm

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

It's really dumb in ways that are really interesting. You get bounced between different companies and meet all sorts of knockoffs of real wrestlers. The Career Mode just goes, forever, and autogenerates a universe where people die, offer you steroids, steal your clothes and force you to wrestle naked... it is, in spirit, closer to the weirdness of actual wrestling than any other wrestling game.

its only closer in spirit to wrestling b/c you need severe CTE to think its good

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Giant Gram 2000 is the only wrestling game that matters anyway

It upsets me to no end that Japanese game studios have given up on making puro games.

An NJPW game in the style of Giant Gram would be amazing. Or Syn Sophia needs to get off its rear end and finally make VPW3

ribtstu
Feb 11, 2017
created 140 new steam accounts and bought fire pro and wrestling revolution on all of them

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As much as I love Fire Pro, the problem is that wrestling is not a single match or a single event. Wrestling is a story playing out over weeks, months, maybe even years. The problem with the WWE 2k games is that the MyCareer requires like 65 hours of bland repetitive matches to get a title shot, the Universe mode feels too limited, and with no Create a Story the fun is gone. Wrestling Revolution has a career mode that just... goes. Forever. And has a lot of weird poo poo that happens like a character dying and you getting involved in a funeral PPV where you smash your rival into a coffin holding the now-dead character. Oh, and that coffin is stacked on top of 3 over coffins, and they all break.

It's a really loving dumb, bad game. But it "gets" wrestling melodrama more than anything else.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

As much as I love Fire Pro, the problem is that wrestling is not a single match or a single event. Wrestling is a story playing out over weeks, months, maybe even years. The problem with the WWE 2k games is that the MyCareer requires like 65 hours of bland repetitive matches to get a title shot, the Universe mode feels too limited, and with no Create a Story the fun is gone. Wrestling Revolution has a career mode that just... goes. Forever. And has a lot of weird poo poo that happens like a character dying and you getting involved in a funeral PPV where you smash your rival into a coffin holding the now-dead character. Oh, and that coffin is stacked on top of 3 over coffins, and they all break.

It's a really loving dumb, bad game. But it "gets" wrestling melodrama more than anything else.

Maybe this is when you give up wrestling as a genre, when even video games can't 'get it right'?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, like, I like the idea that you do actually start a character from wrestling school and there are different promotions you can go to and wrestle in and all sorts of stuff is happening off screen with those promotions, but the actual matches are just painful even to watch. I can't imagine how awkward they are to play.

It's not like any game really gets things "perfect", mind you. But I think it would be cool if someone with actual resources and talent could do a wrestling game that has fun fighting AND starts to work in the crazy business stuff.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

super macho dude posted:

It upsets me to no end that Japanese game studios have given up on making puro games.

An NJPW game in the style of Giant Gram would be amazing. Or Syn Sophia needs to get off its rear end and finally make VPW3

...Fire Pro is Japanese, and the 2K games are still done by Yukes in Japan, no?

But yeah I think that's more a casualty of the puro bubble bursting a bit, and games moving from consoles where Japanese devs had enough resources and skill to make excellent titles, to consoles that required bigger teams and HD assets. That's broken so many devs in Japan it's not even funny.

But with New Japan and wrestling in Japan in general back in the consciousness and getting popular again, I'd love for somebody to make a good NJPW game that could be on both, say, Switch and PS4. Besides Fire Pro, of course.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yukes owned New Japan for years and during that time period never made a New Japan game.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Yukes owned New Japan for years and during that time period never made a New Japan game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestle_Kingdom_(video_game)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was actually going to correct myself after remembering Wrestle Kingdom but will note that they owned the company until 2012 and the last Wrestle Kingdom was made in 07.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does seem like the market should be able to support another console game. the genre must have done well at some point since there were always legends of wrestling games and def jam games and poo poo trying to grab a piece. if they did NJPW vs ROH you could put okada and tanahashi and omega on the cover in japan and put the young bucks and cody on the cover in the u.s.. and omega

that combined audience is probably less than the 1.1 million tna used to get when they had a console game though lol

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 23, 2017

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Aki was cool and good :(

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aki's not dead, per se, it's just that most likely nobody who made the Revenge/No Mercy-era games works there anymore, and they're too busy making Style Savvy games :(

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I always preferred nwo revenge over no mercy

WCW forever!

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
According to wikipedia there was going to be a WCW 2000/Mayhem 2 game that would have been developed by AKI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Aki was cool and good :(

rip aki

condemned to an eternity of making anime games for the mortal sin of being too greedy with their engine https://twitter.com/synsophia :(