Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Get him on the Jazz. Get your GM on the horn and make it happen.

Would very happily take him but Utah doesn't have anything close to equal value outside of Gobert, who is the one guy I wouldn't trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zoux posted:

Are you a cop

He has to tell you or the bust won't hold up in court, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

Kyrie is good

E: also point guard is the least important defensive position by miles

Unless you are 5'6"

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hahaha

zoux posted:

Is Kyrie's issue effort or some lack of skill

*clears throat* He's obviously seeking new horizons

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Kyrie is good

E: also point guard is the least important defensive position by miles

I agree but I guess given that fact my question is

euphronius posted:

Good enough to win a championship against the warriors.

Whose isn't? What point could you swap for Kyrie that would have made the Cavs lose but NOT because of a downgrade in offense? Based on this

euphronius posted:

Unless you are 5'6"

You presumably think IT. I disagree but are there any others? Or do you think IT is the only point with defense that bad (among good offensive ones, obvs)

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Mr. Mambold posted:

He has to tell you or the bust won't hold up in court, right?

You have to ask twice in two different ways.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lebron's hitman is out in full force
https://twitter.com/ESPNCleveland/status/888529617623101440

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
NBA has the undisputed best off season.

This off season is better than the Decision off season.

One team has broken the entire league.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lmao

https://twitter.com/FCHWPO/status/888855906833670144

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

They probably still could've traded Kevin Love for Paul George though, I don't see how Kyrie changes that.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

dunk driving loving owns

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

chunkles posted:

They probably still could've traded Kevin Love for Paul George though, I don't see how Kyrie changes that.

It also doesn't make much sense when you compare it to the other "reported" storyline which claims that Kyrie asked for the trade before the draft, that's partly why I said Lebron has his hitman out in full force. He's spreading propaganda!!!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Drive by dunking is the best thing

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Kyrie doesn't want to play on a team with LeBron anymore he should just wait a year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha don't put that in the minds of Cavs fans

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zoux posted:

Haha don't put that in the minds of Cavs fans

Hey I had to hear all about how the Celtics could have Jimmy George and Paul Butler too if only they had tried a little harder so I'm happy to make some other people feel the same sort of annoyance

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Scott_CEOofSUH/status/888902206472151040

:allears:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

Nah love ain't no dipo and sabonis

E: Lmfao LeBron

Metapod fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 23, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

This is loving hilarious, I never want this offseason to end

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Fuckinng lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Should I believe this if ESPN Cleveland doesn't have a checkmark

owns

hahahahaha

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I hope he bought them a new hoop :mad:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shear Modulus posted:

Should I believe this if ESPN Cleveland doesn't have a checkmark

He said it on the TBA podcast too

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

He's basically the nicest guy in the world so if it broke instead of just getting knocked down a couple of feet I'm sure he did :) Don't worry

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Doltos posted:

Imagine being Wiggins caught in a tempest thrown back and forth between Cleveland and Minnesota forever

It's Kirk Hinrich passed between Atlanta and Chicago like a blunt all over again.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

The article is pretty complimentary of James and his positive effect on his fellow NBA players, so if this is a hit piece, it must be some of that 80 dimensional chess I've been hearing about.

ShaneB posted:

So what, exactly, is forcing the Cavs hand here? They have Kyrie under contract for 2 years. I've never really heard of NBA players holding out like NFL players threaten to.

And then Kyrie suggesting "preferred" trade locations is just insane to me. It's not like he has a no-trade clause, either.

Nothing is "forcing" their hand, but him saying he wants a trade is also him saying that he won't resign with them when his contract is up in 2 years - it would behoove them to trade him now as opposed to when he's in his last year because they have more leverage with other teams when he has 2 full years on his contract, as opposed to the trade deadline in 2019 when he's a few month rental. Him saying he has a few teams he would prefer to go to is just him stating his preference, it's not a demand. I don't see anything "insane" about it - you're allowed to say what you would prefer when it comes to your career, regardless of whether or not you control it. More relevant to the conversation, however, the teams that aren't on his preferred list are not likely to go hard after him and offer alot to Cleveland, because they know he isn't likely to resign with them if he didn't really want to be traded there in the first place.

So he does have some influence on the matter, because this isn't the 60's where the players have to do whatever management tells them to.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

MourningView posted:

it's too late to pump the brakes on dunking over kids now.

edit: unless you're literally pumping the brakes, on your car, to stop and dunk over kids, in which case that's okay.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

oh my god

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

i love this man

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Irving's getting traded for Melo and the Cavs are going to be much worse for it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What an offseason.
https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/888906089374339072

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento: How I took back control and turned my life around

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Why do NBA players have to be so drat cool.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Everyone says "point guard defense doesn't matter" but I'm not sure that's the best way to look at it.

Bad defense against most teams in the league means you have 2 guys on the floor that can't defend the pick and roll. If you do that those two will get picked on and you will have to trap. Good teams will punish the traps and your defense gets blown up.

See also the Team USA lineups last summer that had Kyrie and Melo on the floor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drat this is awesome.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Not being able to shut down a perimeter player 1:1 away from the hoop is not a huge liability. Being a target for PNR is a problem though

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's not that it doesn't matter, only that it's the easiest spot to cover for. Any good defensive 2 or 3 can cover the majority of 1s both as an assignment and on a switch. Some 4s and 5s too. No point in the league can switch onto 4s or 5s unless you count Giannis and Lebron

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Not being able to shut down a perimeter player 1:1 away from the hoop is not a huge liability. Being a target for PNR is a problem though

The Wolves defensive scheme/Jimmy Butler would do wonders to hide Irving but he wouldn't be able to play next to Wiggins (although in that scenario Wiggins is most likely moved anyways)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/888433914624315394

• Locked thread