Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

http://i.imgur.com/g68X651.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/f8bq31k.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Space Gopher posted:

By gosh, you're right. I think I'll quit my white-collar job (which has been kinda lovely lately) and adopt a budget that is literally "the minimum required to exist in the area, as determined by the federal government." Fun fact: you're not allowed to save on SSI disability. If you manage to put away more than $2,000, the government will literally cut you off of support until your bank account balances and other liquid assets drop below that amount.

Also, the feds and state governments have shut down a lot of pain management clinics, starting a few years ago. Turns out addicts stay addicted even when you cut them off cold turkey. Now there's a massive fentanyl problem. Got a commonsense solution to that one?

I agree it would be BWM for an engineer, white collar employee, etc., but for a huge chunk of unskilled, minimum-wage laborers (like the sad folks in that article) it's GWM considering they're not in some poo poo job 40 hours/week yet taking home about the same.

-

What do you get when you cross Rent-a-Center with real estate?
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/22/business/dealbook/rent-to-own-homes-a-win-win-for-landlords-a-risk-for-struggling-tenants.html

quote:

Rent-to-own leases are similar in many ways to contracts for deeds: long-term, high-interest installment contracts that call for the resident to make monthly payments to the seller. Unlike a contract for deed — which typically lasts 30 years, at the end of a Vision contract, tenants still need to find financing to complete the deal. The buyer does not receive legal title to the home until the last payment is made.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LLCoolJD posted:

I agree it would be BWM for an engineer, white collar employee, etc., but for a huge chunk of unskilled, minimum-wage laborers (like the sad folks in that article) it's GWM considering they're not in some poo poo job 40 hours/week yet taking home about the same.

-

What do you get when you cross Rent-a-Center with real estate?
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/22/business/dealbook/rent-to-own-homes-a-win-win-for-landlords-a-risk-for-struggling-tenants.html

Yo "welfare" does not give you the same thing week to week and many programs have restrictions on how the money can be spent so maybe shut up about this because you're wrong

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Lease Options are nothing new, and they are a legitimate way to transition a tenant to rent-to-own without a huge down payment, but this is shady poo poo for sure.

"Here, have all of the responsibilities of homeownership and none of the ownership! What could go wrong?" It's worse than Rent-a-Center because with RAC you don't have to worry about the sofa having a lien from unpaid taxes or having an extra screen replacement service charge on an LCD TV before you ever turn it on.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6opf2z/somerville_ma_landlord_mad_cause_i_wont_date_him/
Somerville MA, Landlord mad cause I won't date him, won't give me my security deposit (self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago by apartmentquestion888

quote:

Throwaway: I'm in MA and my lease ended June 1. It was a standard 1 year lease, and I have Venmo proof that rent was paid in full each month on or before the 1st. I took dated pictures when I moved in, and I took pictures when I moved out. I have the lease, my utilities were all paid online so I have access to that, and I have access to that, and I have plenty of people who will testify that all of this happened.
I lived in a one bedroom apartment in this guy's house. I had my own entrance, kitchen etc. We were NOT roommates. He was always a little creepy, but I wrote that off as just being a weird guy. I think his mom (very elderly) actually owns the place. She lived on the top floor, and he had his own apartment in the basement/first floor. I lived in the middle.
I told him in Feb I wouldn't be resigning the lease, and he said that it was "a pain in his rear end to re-rent it every year" and I needed to reconsider, but I had a contract.
Then, in May, he saw me in the shared hallway and asked me out. I politely told him that I wasn't interested, and he told me he'd ask when I moved out (?). I ignored him for the last few weeks, moved my stuff out, cleaned the place etc.
After I was moved out, he asked to meet me to get the security deposit, but made it sound like we'd hang out. I told him to send it to my work address. I told him it was because I was traveling, but really, I wasn't comfortable with him knowing where I lived. He said he'd wait till I got back from my trip.
I waited a few weeks and said I really needed it, and he had to send it to me, and he ignored me, but asked me where I moved. This happened a few times.
Finally, I told him that he needed to send me my deposit check, or I would pick it up, but that I needed it by the end of the week. He asked me for coffee, and I told him that I would not date him, but he owed me $1250 and I need it. He called me a "stuck up bitch". Our last conversation was this text: "The house was a mess when you left. You aren't getting poo poo from me. Take us to court, bitch and see what happens when you try to gently caress over an old lady on social securty (sic)". All of this is via text.
I don't want to be in the same room with this guy, but I need the money. Do I have to sue him? I'm so frustrated and disgusted with this guy, but is it even worth it at this point, or will the lawyer cost more than the deposit is worth?

The advice given is that she's entitled to treble damages for not getting her security deposit back within 30 days. This guy spent $2500 to strike out with a girl :allears:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6opf2z/somerville_ma_landlord_mad_cause_i_wont_date_him/
Somerville MA, Landlord mad cause I won't date him, won't give me my security deposit (self.legaladvice)

The advice given is that she's entitled to treble damages for not getting her security deposit back within 30 days. This guy spent $2500 to strike out with a girl :allears:

Small claims will sort it out; most jurisdictions in the US deal with about a dozen tenant disputes/security deposit forfeits a day. $30 to file usually and probably another $30 if you need to get the sheriff or a process server to serve the defendant (some courts just include it).

If the lease is clear on the terms of the security deposit, and if the guy took pictures/etc., and she didn't, and the house was truly a mess, she is probably out of luck. If it isn't spotless when she left judges trend towards the landlord, usually. The best way to handle this is always do a walkthrough that ends with a signed termination and a check for the deposit, but sounds like that wasn't a good option here.

The whole "he just wanted to gently caress me" part is creepy for sure, but if it is just he-says-she-says on that then it's heresay and won't have any bearing on the dispute.

It's easier than people think. $60 to serve the guy and possibly rattle his cage, if he really is a creepy rear end in a top hat, will probably settle it. In the end, that would be GWM :)

Ixian fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 23, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ixian posted:

If the lease is clear on the terms of the security deposit, and if the guy took pictures/etc., and she didn't, and the house was truly a mess, she is probably out of luck.

She says she took pictures on the way in and the way out.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

She says she took pictures on the way in and the way out.

Probably has a better chance then though if he did the same and there wasn't a walk through small claims will probably split the baby.

If he was Captain Creep though then like I said rattling his cage will probably be enough to settle it without having a day in court.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ixian posted:

Probably has a better chance then though if he did the same and there wasn't a walk through small claims will probably split the baby.

If he was Captain Creep though then like I said rattling his cage will probably be enough to settle it without having a day in court.

yeah the landlord is going to have to defend why he took so long to "refuse" to refund the sec deposit. And you're crazy if you think this sort of creep is going to be composed in court and not cop an attitude to the judge.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A big flaming stink posted:

yeah the landlord is going to have to defend why he took so long to "refuse" to refund the sec deposit. And you're crazy if you think this sort of creep is going to be composed in court and not cop an attitude to the judge.

Bingo. Especially since it sounds like she has text messages that shows he didn't say boo about any damages while he was still trying to date her.
Judge is going to :lol: at this one if it gets to that.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

canyoneer posted:

He has probably stiffed quite a few tenants out of their deposits in the past.

balancedbias posted:

Lease Options are nothing new, and they are a legitimate way to transition a tenant to rent-to-own without a huge down payment, but this is shady poo poo for sure.

"Here, have all of the responsibilities of homeownership and none of the ownership! What could go wrong?" It's worse than Rent-a-Center because with RAC you don't have to worry about the sofa having a lien from unpaid taxes or having an extra screen replacement service charge on an LCD TV before you ever turn it on.

Yeah, it seems like it would be a minefield of predatory practices. With FHA loans you don't need a huge deposit but maybe there are other requirements on those that these lease-to-own folks can't meet. It's expensive being poor.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

so maybe shut up about this because you're wrong

Calm down.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

Calm down.

ok you stop saying dumb things then others don't need to call it out, sounds like a fair exchange.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Gopher posted:

The bottom line is this: yes, most people in poverty have made some bad decisions in their life. But, most people in nicer circumstances have made equally bad or worse decisions; they've just been insulated from them because they have a cushion. Upper middle class 19 year old kid smokes weed and does nothing for a semester in college, and the school therapist writes them up a hardship withdrawal for the quarter because they're just a kid who deserves a second chance. Mom and dad chew them out and pay. Most of the time, life goes on and the kid becomes a district sales manager somewhere. Poor 19 year old kid skips out on a couple of welding classes to smoke weed and hang out, and they're a deadbeat who deserves nothing. If they end up a panhandler, it's because of their own terrible life decisions, says the district sales manager.

If you see somebody walking a tightrope over a long drop with no net, is your first reaction, "oh, that's nothing, I walk around all the time and hardly ever trip?"
And what if you do literally never trip? I completely disagree with your claims, many decent citizens do in fact never mess up to the extent you are claiming (or at least not without fixing it on their own without this external help). I agree that many do, but many do not and have led an essentially faultless life.

PS I understand and agree with your claim that people who do mess up big themselves have no moral right to say so similarly. But numerous people do not. Therefore, by your own measure, we have the right, no?

John Smith fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 23, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"an essentially faultless life"

Lmao

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brugroffil posted:

Lmao
Yup. Your counter claim being that it is literally impossible to achieve this, under the standards outlined by Space Gopher?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Lmao
Just don't respond to him.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not all of us have the luxury of being immaculately willed into existence by the collective subconscious of a million Ron Paul supporters like you were

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

John Smith posted:

And what if you do literally never trip? I completely disagree with your claims, many decent citizens do in fact never mess up to the extent you are claiming (or at least not without fixing it on their own without this external help). I agree that many do, but many do not and have led an essentially faultless life.

PS I understand and agree with your claim that people who do mess up big themselves have no moral right to say so similarly. But numerous people do not. Therefore, by your own measure, we have the right, no?

Lmbo most of ys are perfectly rational actors, gently caress off dude

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

Not all of us have the luxury of being immaculately willed into existence by the collective subconscious of a million Ron Paul supporters like you were

You do have the luxury of hitting that Ignore button though!

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lmbo most of ys are perfectly rational actors, gently caress off dude
You are full of crap. Why don't you gently caress off then?

Guess you people just can't handle the truth huh. If something is uncomfortable, then let's just ignore it.

Reasonable people can have a discussion regarding the proportion of citizens who are highly conservative (in a non-political sense) and lead life virtuously. Reasonable people cannot have a discussion about the very existence of these conservative citizens. It is blatantly clear that such conservative citizens exist. Denying it is similar to the Iranian government denying the existence of homosexuals, quite simply nonsense.

Imagine how harsh an echo chamber effect you must be subjected to, to actually hold such a viewpoint! That the country is literally without any such conservative citizen. How extreme you must be.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 23, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

John Smith posted:

Guess you people just can't handle the truth huh. If something is uncomfortable, then let's just ignore it.

Reasonable people can have a discussion regarding the proportion of citizens who are highly conservative (in a non-political sense) and lead life virtuously. Reasonable people cannot have a discussion about the very existence of these conservative citizens. It is blatantly clear that such conservative citizens exist. Denying it is similar to the Iranian government denying the existence of homosexuals, quite simply nonsense.

Imagine how harsh an echo chamber effect you must be subjected to, to actually hold such a viewpoint! That the country is literally without any such conservative citizen. How extreme you must be.

You are literally insane

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Actually what about those of us who are flawless human beings why can't we judge you puny mortals comma said a guy who is a reasonable human being and not at all an rear end in a top hat with no self awareness

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Put him on ignore already.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

All I'm gonna say is that "you hate me because you can't handle the truth" is right up there with "I'm not a racist but" in terms of things that when said should immediately trigger reassessment of your whole life up to this point

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Actually what about those of us who are flawless human beings [in a strictly economic and financial sense, within the context of the argument in question] why can't we judge you puny mortals
Yes.

Morals can be disputed. Financial performance cannot be as readily disputed. When someone rises from a poor (Asian immigrant family) background to a certain level of financial comfort, then yes. I dare have this arrogance.

All I'm gonna say is that "you hate me because you can't handle the truth" is right up there with "I'm not a racist but" in terms of things that when said should immediately trigger reassessment of your whole life up to this point
And is that meant to be an actual quote of me?

I wholeheartedly agree with this general sentiment nonetheless. Such a position is generally highly indicative of the person himself being delusional rather than the other party.

But in this specific context, no. For the clear-cut straightforward reasons I have cited.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 23, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

John Smith posted:

Yes.

Morals can be disputed. Financial performance cannot be as readily disputed. When someone rises from a poor Asian immigrant (family) background to a certain level of financial comfort, then yes. I dare have this arrogance.
And is that meant to be an actual quote of me?

I wholeheartedly agree with this general sentiment nonetheless. Such a position is generally highly indicative of the person himself being delusional rather than the other party.

But in this specific context, no. For the clear-cut straightforward reasons I have cited.

My dude there is no such thing as a perfectly rational actors in any sense

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I originally had the actual quote of you in place of that and then thought about it and changed it to this more accurate, let's call it paraphrase, instead

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I originally had the actual quote of you in place of that and then thought about it and changed it to this more accurate, let's call it paraphrase, instead
Then perhaps you should not make a bolder claim than you are entitled to in truth, no? Specially since that entire post by you was in service of reassessment towards truth.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Start a D&D thread about it and I'll be happy to bang my head against your crazy wall there if you wanna keep arguing about how perfect you are or whatever, I'm trying not to contribute to derailing even harder than I'm already contributing so I'm just gonna stop in this thread now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Start a D&D thread about it and I'll be happy to bang my head against your crazy wall there if you wanna keep arguing about how perfect you are or whatever, I'm trying not to contribute to derailing even harder than I'm already contributing so I'm just gonna stop in this thread now.

Post in the libertarian thread actually

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

John Smith posted:

Can someone just ban this idiot? This is not a joke.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Can someone just ban this idiot? This is not a joke.

I just checked and john smith has never actually contributed any outside content to the current incarnation of this thread. Nada. What little he "contributes" tends to be posts about how Übermensch he is, either directly or obliquely by way of responding to real content. I mean, even Tiny Brontosaurus at least contributes outside CONTENT to the thread. John Smith is just attention whoring.

Everyone needs to stop helping him ruin the thread and stop interacting with him at all.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman posted:

Put him on ignore already.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cold on a Cob posted:

I mean, even Tiny Brontosaurus at least contributes outside CONTENT to the thread. John Smith is just attention whoring.
And does your concern extends to TB as well, when she is doing similarly? Or is your concern just reserved for the far right, and not the far left?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

John Smith posted:

And does your concern extends to TB as well, when she is doing similarly? Or is your concern just reserved for the far right, and not the far left?

TB is a content creator, if only on a limited scale, while you are a content appropriator. Please moderate your behaviour in accordance with your stated philosophy in order to avoid becoming a net drag on the content economy in this thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Also please don't quote him so that we don't have to see him talking about how actually the free market thinks that rape and slavery do have a value or whatever it is this time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Not sure how well this works for content, but it's definitely another reminder to Do Never Have A HOA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6oz2km/hoa_please_help/ posted:

I'm still livid from this and I will be speaking to an attorney this week but I just wanted to get this all down in writing because I still can't believe it actually happened.

So I (single male early 30's) bought a house in a neighborhood outside of a large city in TN. I moved in about 6 months ago. I got a job here and after around 2 years of living in an apartment, I wanted to get a house because my employer made a long term path clear to me. However, I think I may have been too quick to buy. My brother in law is from the area and was helping me find a place and he really convinced me to get this house and I pulled the trigger. This is mostly useless info, but some background might be helpful because -

This home was in a HOA. Honestly, the president of the group met with me when I was talking with the realtor and told me how the dues help to keep the communal small park area clean and they also act as a neutral party for neighbor disputes so I thought it sounded great. The dues were low and the house/neighborhood was great. She sent some paperwork when I bought the house, and I signed.

After this, my job got much more busy and I had to work 60-ish hour weeks. On Saturday's I would invite some work friends over and we would have a BBQ in my yard and watch some shows. This was a dream come true for me. I always wanted to own my own place and just be able to be my own landlord.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from the HOA president I spoke to saying that there were multiple complaints of noise "after a reasonable hour" from my home. I honestly thought that was fair so I moved my get-togethers inside and thought it was the end of it.

HOWEVER - yesterday. The HOA president sent me an email saying that my home was ready to be sold. As in she said in the email "Your home has found a buyer and we look forward to you accepting the offer". She immediately sent a second email from a realty company with the further info about the offer on my home. I checked that realtors website and there are pictures of my home with all of my things inside of it. Someone had been in my home when I was not here and took pictures. What the absolute poo poo.

I emailed her back immediately because it was obvious she came into my home, but how? And she said this: "In the HOA agreement you signed, a concerned neighbor may enter your home if there is a risk of harm, or if it might be in the interest of the neighborhood itself". I wish I was making this up. She then said "Because of your repeated noise violations it was in our best interest to facilitate selling your home."

I don't even know where to begin. Did she do something illegal even if it was in the agreement? I know I should have not signed this and it was stupid. But she was obviously just helping herself inside my home for weeks and I just feel like that cannot be right.

Totally possible that this is stdh.txt of course, but i wouldn't be too surprised if it were real.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/lordbeef/status/889004856987467777%08

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Volmarias posted:

Not sure how well this works for content, but it's definitely another reminder to Do Never Have A HOA.

Totally possible that this is stdh.txt of course, but i wouldn't be too surprised if it were real.

I really wouldn't, given all the insane poo poo I've heard of HOAs. Though I'm pretty sure a competent lawyer would be laughing maniacally. There is absolutely no way a HOA can sell someone's house from under them, I'm quite sure. (One comment suggests they're going to pretend they're foreclosing on it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Volmarias posted:

:pusheen:

Buying 40k figurines is de facto BWM.

WHY ARE OUR TAXES BEING USED FOR PROSTITUTES??? :bahgawd:

It's college football, the prostitutes are to be paid with rich alumnus sponsor money.